MATCHWATCH : Northampton Town (a)

343 posts
Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Northampton Town (a)

by Whore Jackie » 04 Oct 2023 13:08

stealthpapes Northampton is not a gem of the UK countryside. There's a huge tower and light industrial estates going west from the station. It all opens out into a quite enormous retail park. The huge Wagamamas overlooking the ground looked a safer bet for a solid evening out (until I got told it hadn't opened yet ... ). That said, the ground is quite tidy, nestled away in a little dip in the ground.

Football? Same story as other weeks, we veer between tidy yet unthreatening and absent without football. There was a bit after the first goal where the side just looked broken. I enjoyed the ripple of applause on the second, when people thought Button had made the save yet...

Ballard added a bit of spike, and got a well-deserved goal. We had a spell where it may have swung back our way then the added time saw heads go, players go (then not) and a pretty desperate atmosphere at the end.

Oh, and Cayman Islands failed in their run chase and lost by 53 runs to Bermuda in the T20 qualifier.

Drove to the match so approached the stadium from the other side. The retail park absolutely dwarfs everything and makes Reading Gate seem tiny in comparison. Can't think of too many other grounds where you see cars, lorries etc 50ft or so above the opposite stand. Sixfields also must have the smallest refreshment stall in the league. Very limited selection of pies and drinks and no alcohol for away fans.

Game was as others have described. Four goalkeeping shockers for the goals. At least Burge made a couple of saves, his kicking was not much better than Button's and he did love a slice into the right-hand stand. For us, Abbey looked a class above and nice to see Wing get 90 minutes. Kelvin and Ballard are decent. Really hope we don't see that formation again and please reinstate the Bindon-Abbey CB partnership.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Oct 2023 13:11

Button absolutely bloody awful this game.

Lumley was awful too but turned it round quickly. I'd rather Button is also given the chance to turn things round.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2023 13:14

Millsy Button absolutely bloody awful this game.

Lumley was awful too but turned it round quickly. I'd rather Button is also given the chance to turn things round.

Think it always has to be about how their mental state is. Sometimes they deal with it and best thing is play next game. Sometimes they need a break from the spotlight and a game or two out.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Oct 2023 13:18

Snowflake Royal

Think it always has to be about how their mental state is. Sometimes they deal with it and best thing is play next game. Sometimes they need a break from the spotlight and a game or two out.

Absolutely correct. I just think he needs to be given the chance i.e. ask if he is up for it and support his decision as opposed to manager just deciding for him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2023 13:26

Millsy
Snowflake Royal

Absolutely correct. I just think he needs to be given the chance i.e. ask if he is up for it and support his decision as opposed to manager just deciding for him.

Involving him is good management, but letting him make the call is bad management.

Talk, listen, act.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 04 Oct 2023 13:37

Snowflake Royal

He was poor against Blackpool, no howlers but the goals just seemed to go through him. I thought he was poor on Saturday too, but mostly because he dwelled on the ball and seemed incapable of starting a break forward.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 04 Oct 2023 13:59

Snowflake Royal
Hound CBC and Abrefa mentioned in various places

CBC is purely a reaction to Button having a howler and potentially needing a break as punishment/to get his head right. He's our sub and cup goalie, so that's hardly promoting someone from the U21s.

Abrefa has already been around the first team for a season and is just one of a plethora of options at right back pointed out instead of a centreback.

The same suggestions often include Holmes and NGW. Senior players being ignored - as you've said yourself multiple times.

Button having one bad game shouldn't lead to him being bombed out the team, as you and others have said. I can't really think of anything significant he's done wrong before last night. Would've thought Pereira would feature in the league prior to CBC though - otherwise why did we sign him?

I'd want to see Abrefa ahead of Bindon at RB. Bindon really has looked lost playing there. Abrefa should be fit enough to play in the first team now, given he's played the past five U21 matches (at least those in PL2).

NGW does need to come back into the first team squad imo; it's clear Carson isn't ready to be a regular player yet, whilst Mola hasn't really shown any quality so far. Tbh, I'd probably prefer McIntyre starting at LB at Leyton Orient than Carson or Mola. I'd still have Carson as our LB in the League Trophy and coming on as a substitute.

Holmes I'm less concerned about coming back into the team, as we have plenty of viable options at CB. He should be considered as an option though,

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Oct 2023 14:03

Think TMac will also miss Orient due to concussion protocol which is 8 days. So I'm firmly in the NGW camp.

I'd go Binden, Dean and Abbey at CB with Rushesa and NGW as wing backs (well done Yiadom for getting himself suspended without being on the pitch).

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 04 Oct 2023 14:16

WestYorksRoyal Think TMac will also miss Orient due to concussion protocol which is 8 days. So I'm firmly in the NGW camp.

I'd go Binden, Dean and Abbey at CB with Rushesa and NGW as wing backs (well done Yiadom for getting himself suspended without being on the pitch).

Ofc, forgot TMac went off against Burton with concussion - so definitely NGW for me on Saturday, assuming he's fit enough. Rushesa's one I'd forgotten about - I wouldn't be surprised if he played.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2023 14:24

Snowflake Royal

CBC is purely a reaction to Button having a howler and potentially needing a break as punishment/to get his head right. He's our sub and cup goalie, so that's hardly promoting someone from the U21s.

Abrefa has already been around the first team for a season and is just one of a plethora of options at right back pointed out instead of a centreback.

The same suggestions often include Holmes and NGW. Senior players being ignored - as you've said yourself multiple times.

Yes - was just answering your question about what players had been mentioned

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Oct 2023 17:01

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal
Heard last night that administration could be as early as this week!!
I tend to agree with your final comment but for balance of argument he did at least have players like Carroll, Meite and Joao who at times could be very good at Championship level.

Our current squad has very little in terms of proven ability but the youngsters came through from an Academy where expectations were that they should in time be good enough for Championship football -they are being asked to perform at a lower level than expected previously so probably should be showing a bit more than they are.
Only big Kelvin and Abbey look so far to be capable at this level from our own youngsters and those brought in are yet to prove that they have been worth it.

Others have said about Selles and his coaching ability but coaching is very different from managing and so far it strikes me with the examples of Carroll, Holmes and NGW (3 who would bring a bit more to this squad especially physically) that he has a lot to learn in terms of man management.
Should he be learning at our expense?

The bottom line is, this is what a lot of the fans wanted. I said at the start of the season to not expect that good of a season if we were going to start relying on our youngsters and now some fans want us to be starting even more of the U21's who currently aren't getting that much of a look in because we have other players ahead of them, when that's likely part of the reason why we are where we are.

The fans want Selles to "learn", but are then saying that we should be putting even more U21 players that aren't getting in the team because there are other players in front of them. It's the same old story with any academy, plenty of players with promise, but only ever a couple make it. We've tried and tested so many this season and there is genuinely only really Abbey and Kelvin E who look good enough. Most of the others have impressed in spells, but don't have the consistency (yet).

The only benefit of the doubt I give the squad currently is that the situation for sure isn't helping them. I'm sure that if/when we get new ownership, if there is a feel good factor then we will see an improvement. Although it's difficult to judge, on a consistent basis, whereabouts this group of players actually are.

What U21 players are people saying should be in the team, and who are they? Because that seems either exaggerated or made up.

You have mentioned Rushesha (at LB as well) just to give an example. Craig is another. Wareham was speculatively mentioned. CBC and Abrefa have also been mentioned, the latter by myself. Andresson pre-season.

I'm in the camp that we've got what we've got and that things will improve once the ownership changes, but until then we are stuck in this scenario.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Oct 2023 17:19

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
The bottom line is, this is what a lot of the fans wanted. I said at the start of the season to not expect that good of a season if we were going to start relying on our youngsters and now some fans want us to be starting even more of the U21's who currently aren't getting that much of a look in because we have other players ahead of them, when that's likely part of the reason why we are where we are.

The fans want Selles to "learn", but are then saying that we should be putting even more U21 players that aren't getting in the team because there are other players in front of them. It's the same old story with any academy, plenty of players with promise, but only ever a couple make it. We've tried and tested so many this season and there is genuinely only really Abbey and Kelvin E who look good enough. Most of the others have impressed in spells, but don't have the consistency (yet).

The only benefit of the doubt I give the squad currently is that the situation for sure isn't helping them. I'm sure that if/when we get new ownership, if there is a feel good factor then we will see an improvement. Although it's difficult to judge, on a consistent basis, whereabouts this group of players actually are.

What U21 players are people saying should be in the team, and who are they? Because that seems either exaggerated or made up.

I'm in the camp that we've got what we've got and that things will improve once the ownership changes, but until then we are stuck in this scenario.

The owner sets the tactics, coaches and picks the team?

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 04 Oct 2023 17:24

I'm so losing interest in RFC
My First game was a 1-1 against Wimbledon in the 70's
The highs of Majdeski ownership are long forgotten
It reminds me of a country run by greedy oxf*rd that give oxf*rd all shit about normal people and the only thing that matters is $$$$

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Oct 2023 17:32

Yeah I'm the same, I've missed the last couple of games but going Saturday. Not sure how much more of this I can stomach, it's heartbreaking

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Oct 2023 17:52

Hound
WestYorksRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99

It is what we wanted, but we probably banked upon being able to bring a few more experienced heads and proven quality which the embargo kiboshed. Wing, Knibbs and Smith are the sort of profile to complement youth, but not many were available on a free. LB in particular is an area where we'd have loved to bring in proven L1 experience and had to scrape the barrel.

We have a LB on our books with 2 full years of proven L1 experience

I’m not Selles biggest critic, I think he’ll do ok in time, but he really needs to bury the hatchet with NGW and to a lesser extent Holmes

Does he really have an issue with NGW? He's not been playing for the U21's whereas Holmes has which would suggest there's not a massive issue there. If NGW isn't playing for the U21's it's either because he's injured or refusing to play.

As far as I know neither player has been banished from First Team training have they? Tom McIntyre was sidelines after Port Vale but is still around the fringes (he captained the last home game)

My guess is that the club were hoping to move on Carroll, Holmes and NGW to free up money. Obviously that didn't happen in the latter 2 cases.

There's no reason to think Holmes and NGW are completely outside Selles' first team thinking anyway but it's not like they weren't bloody awful for chunks of last season or the opening games of this season.

Pretty sure in Holmes' last 2 games for the u21's we've conceded 8 goals so it's not like he's making a massive case for himself.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2023 18:07

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal

Button having one bad game shouldn't lead to him being bombed out the team, as you and others have said. I can't really think of anything significant he's done wrong before last night. Would've thought Pereira would feature in the league prior to CBC though - otherwise why did we sign him?

I'd want to see Abrefa ahead of Bindon at RB. Bindon really has looked lost playing there. Abrefa should be fit enough to play in the first team now, given he's played the past five U21 matches (at least those in PL2).

NGW does need to come back into the first team squad imo; it's clear Carson isn't ready to be a regular player yet, whilst Mola hasn't really shown any quality so far. Tbh, I'd probably prefer McIntyre starting at LB at Leyton Orient than Carson or Mola. I'd still have Carson as our LB in the League Trophy and coming on as a substitute.

Holmes I'm less concerned about coming back into the team, as we have plenty of viable options at CB. He should be considered as an option though,

:| It’s not about bombing him out of the team. If his head's gone, or his attitude is wrong, which is a possibility, he will need a break.

We've drummed other players out for one bad game.

I don't understand why so many people seem to struggle with why we've signed Pereira. It's not to play. It's cheap back up in case of injury. You need 3 senior keepers.

CBC is on the bench and in the cup for experience and to develop. Pereira is bere in case Button gets injured so we have a keeper for the bench or someone to take over from CBC if he flounders.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Oct 2023 18:16

stealthpapes Northampton is not a gem of the UK countryside. There's a huge tower and light industrial estates going west from the station. It all opens out into a quite enormous retail park. The huge Wagamamas overlooking the ground looked a safer bet for a solid evening out (until I got told it hadn't opened yet ... ). That said, the ground is quite tidy, nestled away in a little dip in the ground.

Football? Same story as other weeks, we veer between tidy yet unthreatening and absent without football. There was a bit after the first goal where the side just looked broken. I enjoyed the ripple of applause on the second, when people thought Button had made the save yet...

Ballard added a bit of spike, and got a well-deserved goal. We had a spell where it may have swung back our way then the added time saw heads go, players go (then not) and a pretty desperate atmosphere at the end.

Oh, and Cayman Islands failed in their run chase and lost by 53 runs to Bermuda in the T20 qualifier.

Tbh you've made Northampton sound better than it is :)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2023 18:19

Vision
Hound
WestYorksRoyal It is what we wanted, but we probably banked upon being able to bring a few more experienced heads and proven quality which the embargo kiboshed. Wing, Knibbs and Smith are the sort of profile to complement youth, but not many were available on a free. LB in particular is an area where we'd have loved to bring in proven L1 experience and had to scrape the barrel.

We have a LB on our books with 2 full years of proven L1 experience

I’m not Selles biggest critic, I think he’ll do ok in time, but he really needs to bury the hatchet with NGW and to a lesser extent Holmes

Does he really have an issue with NGW? He's not been playing for the U21's whereas Holmes has which would suggest there's not a massive issue there. If NGW isn't playing for the U21's it's either because he's injured or refusing to play.

As far as I know neither player has been banished from First Team training have they? Tom McIntyre was sidelines after Port Vale but is still around the fringes (he captained the last home game)

My guess is that the club were hoping to move on Carroll, Holmes and NGW to free up money. Obviously that didn't happen in the latter 2 cases.

There's no reason to think Holmes and NGW are completely outside Selles' first team thinking anyway but it's not like they weren't bloody awful for chunks of last season or the opening games of this season.

Pretty sure in Holmes' last 2 games for the u21's we've conceded 8 goals so it's not like he's making a massive case for himself.

NGW has played for the u21s

No I don’t think there is a major issue (with NGW at least) and Selles. Hence they should be in the thinking for the 1st team squad. NGW has had a minor injury which he is now over so I see no reason not to bring him back in. Don’t think he was awful last season, preseason or vs PV (whereas Holmes certainly was)

I agree they were prob trying to sell the pair of them and it didn’t happen so they should be considered.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Oct 2023 18:22

Snowflake Royal I think the worst thing about this is that people have started excusing Ince's absolute shitshow.

100% agree

Ince only had to set the team up to attack even a little bit more than he did and we'd probably have survived

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2023 18:39

bcubed
Snowflake Royal I think the worst thing about this is that people have started excusing Ince's absolute shitshow.

100% agree

Ince only had to set the team up to attack even a little bit more than he did and we'd probably have survived

I don’t have the same dislike to Ince as a lot of people on here but whatever the results, I find us a hell of a lot more watchable under Selles. Couldn’t stand watching toward the end of last year. Football was worst I can remember

343 posts