Coppell's latest backtrack

470 posts
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Coppell's latest backtrack

by Alan Partridge » 01 Feb 2008 00:56

:lol: I'm alright now, had to get that rant out!

Was waiting until february 1st, give them every opportunity to shut me up, prove me wrong..They didn't.

Thinking of just bringing a HUGE banner saturday it will simply say 'DUMP' on it. 8)

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Feb 2008 00:56

I love how Pearce and Henry moving up to a Championship club while remaining our players is seen as another reason for knee-jerk negativity. Our players will learn a lot more at Norwich than they did at Bournemouth or they will in our reserves or on our bench. Unless of course they end up on the bench... like Henry did at Bournemouth... if you recall

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Feb 2008 00:57

Alan Partridge :lol: I'm alright now, had to get that rant out!

Was waiting until february 1st, give them every opportunity to shut me up, prove me wrong..They didn't.

Thinking of just bringing a HUGE banner saturday it will simply say 'DUMP' on it. 8)

Will you put it away when we are 2-0 up in the 85th minute?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Feb 2008 00:58

Archie's penalty
Alan Partridge :lol: I'm alright now, had to get that rant out!

Will you put it away when we are 2-0 up in the 85th minute?

Maybe :mrgreen:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Feb 2008 00:59

Arch I love how Pearce and Henry moving up to a Championship club while remaining our players is seen as another reason for knee-jerk negativity. Our players will learn a lot more at Norwich than they did at Bournemouth or they will in our reserves or on our bench. Unless of course they end up on the bench... like Henry did at Bournemouth... if you recall

I agree completely Arch. I think it's a great move for them. Norwich are a big club with decent attendances. It will be a huge step up for them and they will get used to playing in much more important fixtures. Their move is actually positive news for them and those of us who want to see them develop into first team players here.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Feb 2008 01:00

Arch I love how Pearce and Henry moving up to a Championship club while remaining our players is seen as another reason for knee-jerk negativity. Our players will learn a lot more at Norwich than they did at Bournemouth or they will in our reserves or on our bench. Unless of course they end up on the bench... like Henry did at Bournemouth... if you recall

Well done on picking up on the least important bit of the post, good work 8)

Just a summary of the ins and outs, although I missed Halls to Palace.

g

by g » 01 Feb 2008 01:08

How many premier league footballers do we have at Reading?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Feb 2008 01:13

g How many premier league footballers do we have at Reading?

An interesting philosophical question g...

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 01 Feb 2008 09:07

g How many premier league footballers do we have at Reading?

:mrgreen:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Feb 2008 09:12

The talk was talked.

Once again, the walk was not walked.

Whether splashing out on transfers is a good idea or not, what's wrong with being honest with the paying public rather than spinning all this bullsh1t?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 01 Feb 2008 09:14

Two points Mr Partridge

1. You suggest that Coppell doesn't want to spend money. I think its more he doesn't want to waste money the quality and the price were just not there in the window.

2. I agree that there isn't a "set the world alight" type player there yet. Unless of course the Messiah does this when he has full games. But when we have everyone back in their real positions there may be some more excitement.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 01 Feb 2008 09:15

Schards#2 The talk was talked.

Whether splashing out on transfers is a good idea or not, what's wrong with being honest with the paying public rather than spinning all this bullsh1t?

Tell me one club/company/ political party that would be so blatently honest

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Feb 2008 09:32

Uke
Schards#2 The talk was talked.

Tell me one club/company/ political party that would be so blatently honest

Most clubs who have no intention of spending big don't spend the whole period between the transfer windows bigging up what they are going to do in the next one.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Feb 2008 09:38

Uke Two points Mr Partridge

1. You suggest that Coppell doesn't want to spend money. I think its more he doesn't want to waste money the quality and the price were just not there in the window.

2. I agree that there isn't a "set the world alight" type player there yet. Unless of course the Messiah does this when he has full games. But when we have everyone back in their real positions there may be some more excitement.
LOL @ doesn't want to waste money. Why the hell did he pay £2.5 million for Halford then? There was no guarantee that a stupid manager like Keane would come in for him for the same amount when Coppell realised what a pile of poo he'd purchased.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Feb 2008 09:40

Point 1 I said it could be a reason alhough an unlikely one. I've never heard of a manager who doesn't want to spend money, Coppell's responsibility isn't the running of the club. If he's given money he shouldn't have to worry about long term financially because he probably won't be here. Thats for the chairman and board to decide what is manageable, what is a sensible budget then it's over to Coppell to spend it. I doubt this was the reason we've seen such little investment tbh.

Point 2. I think the only player returning that will genuinely improve the team and get a buzz going around here again is Glen Little. Even after he's 'fully fit' it's going to take some time to get up to match speed again. I'm concerned in all honesty.

Interesting that we turned down £7million for Lita, which shows the financial side must be more than good, do you turn down a fee of that size for someone out of contract in a year whose been a bit part player if it isn't?

I'm at a loose end as to why at least 1 defender hasn't been brought in.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Feb 2008 18:57

Something on which SC has definitely not backtracked: "Any signings will be for the long-term. We're not signing someone for four months."

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Feb 2008 19:05

Royal Lady

LOL @ doesn't want to waste money. Why the hell did he pay £2.5 million for Halford then? There was no guarantee that a stupid manager like Keane would come in for him for the same amount when Coppell realised what a pile of poo he'd purchased.

A ferguson:
djemba djemba, veron-rubbsish, net loss = millions

steve coppell
halford, fae? maybe net loss 2.5 m

does it prove either of them is rubbish or great?

nah

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Feb 2008 19:09

I didn't mention anything about being a rubbish or great manager did I? I was LOLing at the comment about not wanting to waste money.

To the De'ath

by To the De'ath » 01 Feb 2008 19:52

Good post from AP

Coppell had been saying that Reading would need to buy 3 - 4 players that would improve the squad every season. In 2 years of Premiership football we are weaker than we were in he Championship without Sidwell or Little, and our experienced players are 2 years older.

By not buying 3 - 4 players to improve the squad last year or this year, there has been no normal refresh of the squad. Now in the summer we will need to look at class replacements for aging players - Murty? Ingi? USA? Gunnar. And we still need a replacement for Little, at least 1 quality CB, arguably a replacement for Convey. And then to replace any players that leave - and the more isolated the quality players are the more likely they are to look elsewhere. In the unlikely event that we did spend the money / pay the wages and get 5 or 6 decent players in - it will be harder to keep the team cohesion than it would with a steady refresh policy.

OK so the quality players are not around at the right price? There have been some quality players moving and I really believe we would have been able to attract players this window if we had been willing to pay the going rate in fees and wages - that price may be higher than we want to pay but other clubs are paying it, so that's the going rate. Looking for quality on the cheap is a dangerous strategy to continue when it isn't working.

I don't think we'll go down this season, but if we do nobody can be surprised. But unless the transfer policy/wage structure is changed it can only be a matter of time.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Feb 2008 10:38

Arch Something on which SC has definitely not backtracked: "Any signings will be for the long-term. We're not signing someone for four months."

But also:

"You are better off, if you need someone short term, to loan a player. It just seems a lot more sensible and geared to better business finance."

Indeed it is Steve.

So why not try it sometime?

470 posts