New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by sandman » 13 May 2009 01:05

Owen Coyle.
Anyone that can get a team that bad to a play-off final has to be some sort of genius.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 13 May 2009 01:22

Theres only one man for the job, step forward....Terry Bullivant

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 13 May 2009 01:26

Alan Partridge NOT

Dowie
Pardew
Boothroyd

Or anyone currently employed by RFC.

I don't mind after that.

Ideally someone who will get Reading playing attractive flowing football and will produce an entertaining and hopefully succesful team. I don't want another functional team at best and when disfunctioning is a load of shit.

I'd accept 9th place to play football similar to Swansea for example rather than watch a Tony Pulis long ball shit style side.

I'm curious, how come not Adie Boothroyd? He seems like a fair candidate who may freshen up the Reading lockerroom with a limited budget imho. Or is it fear after what he did at Watford?

Agreed with the rest of the list, and will add Brendan Rogers to it. I think it would be a fairly big risk employing someone with half a season experience and could potentially be a one season wonder. Curbishley would seem a logical choice to continue the Coppell way but there would be problems attracting him to the club and keeping within the budget. Not keen on Lawrie Sanchez, I can't see him moving the club forward really, just keeping us in mid-table. Martinez won't leave Swansea unless we give him and the club an offer they can't refuse. Tisdale looks good but again seems like a big risk. Definite no to Tony Adams or Paul Ince as well. I wouldn't mind Hoddle or Souness, but again I can't see it happening, plus budget restraints. Best radical option would be Kevin Keegan, but I can't see that happening at all. It's a tough choice to emulate Sir Steve Coppell...

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 May 2009 01:27

I want to watch a good football team, hence why Boothroyd's long ball crap is not on my agenda.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 May 2009 01:29

Please not Keegan. He runs and hides too much Souness would have the right mix in temperment and experience but like you say this club could find it tough to get the right mix together to move the club forward. Please not Boothroyd.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 13 May 2009 01:36

Alan Curbisley would be the obvious choice, Out of work and knows how to get a club out of this division on limited resources and keep them in the top flight.

Whether he would come is a different matter entirely and whether he would us as a springboard back into the big time are debateable. He was a highly sought after manager at one time being linked with the likes of Spurs and Newcastle, and you don't become a bad manager overnight. Whether some intial success would lead to him being poached would also be a concern....but probably the best available at the moment and not entirely out of the realms os possibility.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 13 May 2009 01:37

Fair enough on Boothroyd. Can't see the problem with Keegan as manager, may have a rather emotionally strong character, but he's the right footballing mind that most of our fans seem to want, and the way he guided Fulham and Man City into being a regular premiership team is the sort of person we need at the club. The only drawback I see with him is that it's going to involve a fair amount of cash as well, which Sir John isn't usually prepared to throw about (not surprised after Tommy Burns reign).

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 May 2009 01:39

A name that's popped into my head, what about Graeme Souness? Previous promotion with Blackburn from this division with a name in football to attract good players and i get the feeling he wouldn't take the shitty attitude from some of the players.

Alivey

by Alivey » 13 May 2009 01:41

Personally I see Sanchez and Boothroyd being top of the list. Madejski isn't going to be held ransom and he isn't going to pay for someone "unproven". Curbs is a spender type of manager, I don't see it working. Johnson, Rogers, Martinez, and other Championship managers just might be too much effort for it. Paul Tisdale is a good outside shout. Those are my three anyways. [if we don't go for someone already here]
Last edited by Alivey on 13 May 2009 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 13 May 2009 01:45

SGE please Madejski.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 13 May 2009 01:48

if we ever go down the line of getting a Keegan or Souness type as manager, I will lose all faith.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 May 2009 01:57

Alan Shearer

or

Stan Ternent

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 13 May 2009 02:05

We have just outplayed Burnley for all but 45 minutes over the two games with a style and tactics very unsuited to Coppell`s teams, 4-3-3 at Turf Moor and 4-2-3-1 here. The bizarre triple substitution when we went behind tonight left us with the team Coppell might have started with.
Has someone else been taking a more prominent role in preparing the team for these games and if so is the club looking to promote from within?

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 13 May 2009 02:08

Negative_Jeff We have just outplayed Burnley for all but 45 minutes over the two games with a style and tactics very unsuited to Coppell`s teams, 4-3-3 at Turf Moor and 4-2-3-1 here. The bizarre triple substitution when we went behind tonight left us with the team Coppell might have started with.
Has someone else been taking a more prominent role in preparing the team for these games and if so is the club looking to promote from within?

ron grant??

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 13 May 2009 02:37

Some of these suggestions are making my eyes bleed

I'd be happy with anyone currently not employed by RFC. It would indicate some thought has gone into the decision instead of Madejski just walking down the corridor to Dolan's or Dillon's office

Tisdale is probably a year too early, would prefer to see how he does in League One first.

I'd like to see Brendan Rodgers get it personally but..

I have a horrible feeling Sanchez or Parkinson will.. :|

Maryland Royal

by Maryland Royal » 13 May 2009 02:48

Alan Partridge please.

royalsontour1871

by royalsontour1871 » 13 May 2009 02:53

the whole of y26 !!!!!

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 13 May 2009 03:29

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now, and don't think I've come up with anybody not previously mentioned. I don't think anybody currently at the club has the necessary spark to enact the sea-changes required - better to start entirely afresh, especially as a decent number of the first team are on their way too.
Tisdale would be a very good choice, I think - his intelligent, sport-science background would suit the sort of club Reading is on the cusp of becoming (and has been for a few years now). A similar, but far more left-field candidate is Stephen Constantine - it would take a brave club to give him his first English management job but his record is amazing, albeit only with national teams. cf Bob Houghton, but I can't see him wanting to manage in the Championship now.
Realistically, as stated, Madejski almost certainly won't sanction an approach to an employed manager, leaving us with the LMA list (Keegan OBE, Kevin being one of the more alarming names) and those who'll probably be moving on in the summer. The latter category could include the two relegated Premier League managers who aren't Mowbray; of those at clubs still fighting relegation only Phil Brown is worth mentioning and even then I'm not exactly sold on him.
Just, not that psychopath Souness. Was it just before Pardew's appointment that his name was last associated with us? It's as bad an idea now as it was then. Still, could be worse - the Ginger Mourinho could be currently unemployed.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 13 May 2009 05:15

Bit confused here.

Such and such manager won't be a good fit cos he will want to spend and the money isn't there.

'We need somebody that is good on a shoestring'.

Yet Coppell was criticized for not spending the money...that supposedly was there?

Either the money is there or it isn't. :?

sawyers left arm

I want Warnock!!!

by sawyers left arm » 13 May 2009 05:40

Experience, passion and used to working with a small budget, he will get us back up for sure.

1747 posts