831 posts
Mr Loyal Royal

Re: STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

by Mr Loyal Royal » 22 Jan 2009 15:55

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Jan 2009 15:58

rg6royal If he wants to go then he can go. £5m in the kitty would be nice.

Why? Its not like we need the money.

Ive said it before and i'll say it again. Shunt goes and kiss goodbye to automatic promotion.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Jan 2009 16:01

Tony Le Mesmer

Ive said it before and i'll say it again. Shunt goes and kiss goodbye to automatic promotion.

You know the root of FA about football.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 22 Jan 2009 16:03

Just a thought, but if S Hunt leaves, then would we be able to bring in a fit replacement for him by Tuesday?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Jan 2009 16:03

Tony Le Mesmer

Well that depends who they replace him with. I know people look to Hunt's assists and Kebe's assists as stats to say look how good they are. In reality Reading's play is wing focused. We rarely go through the middle so you'd hope the wingers would get a substantial amount of crosses in. We would certainly miss Hunt's delivery from set pieces, free kicks and corners swirling in have been a major weapon this season, but as a footballer the guy is seriously limited. For £5million we could replace Stephen Hunt. The one player Reading couldn't replace is their number 9, everyone else in the team could be replaced.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Jan 2009 16:07

Alan Partridge
Tony Le Mesmer

Well that depends who they replace him with. I know people look to Hunt's assists and Kebe's assists as stats to say look how good they are. In reality Reading's play is wing focused. We rarely go through the middle so you'd hope the wingers would get a substantial amount of crosses in. We would certainly miss Hunt's delivery from set pieces, free kicks and corners swirling in have been a major weapon this season, but as a footballer the guy is seriously limited. For £5million we could replace Stephen Hunt. The one player Reading couldn't replace is their number 9, everyone else in the team could be replaced.

+1

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Jan 2009 16:14

Alan Partridge
Tony Le Mesmer

Dont agree myself, to Reading, Hunt is everything that makes us tick. Reading aren't ticking at the moment and it obvious why. £5m will not replace him if you cant persuade a Premiership quality player to drop down a league. I think he is the most INFLUENCIAL player outside the Premiership.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 22 Jan 2009 16:14

Alan Partridge Well that depends who they replace him with. I know people look to Hunt's assists and Kebe's assists as stats to say look how good they are. In reality Reading's play is wing focused. We rarely go through the middle so you'd hope the wingers would get a substantial amount of crosses in. We would certainly miss Hunt's delivery from set pieces, free kicks and corners swirling in have been a major weapon this season, but as a footballer the guy is seriously limited. For £5million we could replace Stephen Hunt. The one player Reading couldn't replace is their number 9, everyone else in the team could be replaced.

Yep would definatly agree with that.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Jan 2009 16:16

Snowball Considering Noel plays an average of 60 minutes rather than 90 his record is amazing

Average of 60 minutes?

Coppell rarely makes subs before 70/75 so I have to doubt the accuracy of that one!

madmickb

by madmickb » 22 Jan 2009 16:19

Coppell will do everything he can to keep him, but if he wants to go and the £5m clause in his contract there is nothing we can do. I think he the best by far midfielder we have and he will sadly be missed

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 22 Jan 2009 16:21

Hoop Blah
Snowball Considering Noel plays an average of 60 minutes rather than 90 his record is amazing

Average of 60 minutes?

Coppell rarely makes subs before 70/75 so I have to doubt the accuracy of that one!

Noel has been substituted early on more than one occasion due to injury including once when he was knocked out after scoring and another when he scored despite having double vision!

boy1985

by boy1985 » 22 Jan 2009 16:22

Alan Partridge
Tony Le Mesmer

+1

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Jan 2009 16:22

If Spurs came in for Hunt then I would be pleased for him - as they are a big club, but if he goes to Wigan I think that would be a bit of a joke as they are no bigger than Reading. They have survived a few seasons in the PL but sooner or later they will end up being relegated. Why not just stay with RFC and help us get back there - and hopefully establish ourselves there this time.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Jan 2009 16:24

Tony Le Mesmer
Alan Partridge
Tony Le Mesmer

Dont agree myself, to Reading, Hunt is everything that makes us tick. Reading aren't ticking at the moment and it obvious why. £5m will not replace him if you cant persuade a Premiership quality player to drop down a league. I think he is the most INFLUENCIAL player outside the Premiership.

A Lot of people say that it's Harper who 'makes Reading tick'! :shock:

I take your point, Hunt's work ethic is very rare for a winger in all honesty, a lot of wingers are quite naturally lazy players that come alive when they can run at players and get in and around the opponenets 18 yard. Hunt is different in the amount of graft he will put in over 90minutes, and I think you can make a case that when he plays well it can lift the team and also the crowd.

i just feel that £5million for someone who in all honesty as a winger isn't the most skillful or consistant would be an excellent price. I feel that a Surman or a Campbell Ryce would cost considerably less than Hunt, yet both are considerably younger and have potential to be better than him. He would have to be replaced properly though, Tabb is a utility player not an out and out left sider, to lose Hunt and not replace him would then make the £5million worthless.

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 22 Jan 2009 16:25

andrew1957 If Spurs came in for Hunt then I would be pleased for him - as they are a big club, but if he goes to Wigan I think that would be a bit of a joke as they are no bigger than Reading. They have survived a few seasons in the PL but sooner or later they will end up being relegated. Why not just stay with RFC and help us get back there - and hopefully establish ourselves there this time.

They've been able to keep their place in the premiership for a few seasons now, and have got a few really good players, in Valencia, Zaki, Kirkland, Heskey. Just sold Palacios for 12 mill. They got money to spend and at the moment they're 7th in the premiership, im pretty sure Hunty would prefer that to being 2nd in the championship. But i do agree that it probably won't be long until Heskey and Valencia are gone and they slowly dip down the table.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Jan 2009 16:28

East Stand Royal 500
Hoop Blah

Average of 60 minutes?

Noel has been substituted early on more than one occasion due to injury including once when he was knocked out after scoring and another when he scored despite having double vision!

I know. Still not sure it would bring the average down quite that much.

Anyway, I just don't think that really counts as being a factor (obviously it will do statistically) as getting injured doesn't really help you become an influential player. Same as starting and being pulled off at half time because your rubbish, if you're trying to use a stat to prove worth to the team you should just take a start as 90 minutes.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 22 Jan 2009 16:28

The only reason why Hunt leaving will be a bad thing is the squad morale, I think they clearly all get on well and the irish contingent are at the heart of it. Tbh i dont think any one player makes us 'tick' and that we play as a unit.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 22 Jan 2009 16:38

Alan Partridge
Tony Le Mesmer

Totally agree-as Spurs showed last night anything is possible if you have top strikers even if a team is playing badly.
Wingers or left-sided journeymen,there are plenty of them.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 22 Jan 2009 16:45

Alan Partridge I take your point, Hunt's work ethic is very rare for a winger in all honesty, a lot of wingers are quite naturally lazy players that come alive when they can run at players and get in and around the opponenets 18 yard. Hunt is different in the amount of graft he will put in over 90minutes, and I think you can make a case that when he plays well it can lift the team and also the crowd.

i just feel that £5million for someone who in all honesty as a winger isn't the most skillful or consistant would be an excellent price. I feel that a Surman or a Campbell Ryce would cost considerably less than Hunt, yet both are considerably younger and have potential to be better than him. He would have to be replaced properly though, Tabb is a utility player not an out and out left sider, to lose Hunt and not replace him would then make the £5million worthless.

I think they would definitely replace him. And I would prefer Surman to Campbell-Ryce as he is English and, from what I have seen is more skilful than C-R. C-R is considerably faster though. In the end I trust Coppell so whoever he brings in I would accept.

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 22 Jan 2009 17:16

I think i will wait to hear an official story not a rehash from Sky ' Breaking news, Everton have bid for Hunt' Sports, they are bigger straw clutchers than the tabloids!

831 posts