NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Bikey signs for Burnley

382 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Bikey to Burnley fee agreed

by Royal Lady » 18 Aug 2009 08:45

Well, we're certainly "cutting our cloth" aren't we?

£2.8 million is a good bit of business, but what price all this "good business" if we don't replace or those that we do replace don't step up to the plate for whatever reason.

This really will be a season of transition, and as Lux says, the angle of our trajectory is a tad worrying.

Bye Bikey - I loved you and I forgive you some of your hot-headed actions. :cry:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 18 Aug 2009 08:51

This is a clear statement of our commitment to return to the Premier League.

i.e - we don't have any

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2009 09:06

If he had a clause in his contract stating he could go for a certain fee (that seems to have been triggered - or as near as damn it) then we don't have any say in the matter.

The guy started 44 league games out of a possible 122 so we can't truly say he'll be missed a great deal.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Aug 2009 09:22

i miss him already

almost as big a legend as peter mate

:cry:

will we ever see their like again

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 18 Aug 2009 09:25

Entertaining player.

A breath of fresh air in what has been a fairly boring and predictable period of Football.

My only worry is that we do a Southampton who had great youngsters but lost confidence and ultimately got relegated.

Anyway thanks Andre. You were part of History.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 18 Aug 2009 09:30

Schards#2 This is a clear statement of our commitment to return to the Premier League.

i.e - we don't have any

There’s more than just one way of getting back to the Premier League. For perfectly legitimate reasons, JM has decided that a spend, spend, spend strategy isn’t for Reading. When has it ever been? In appointing Brendan Rodgers, he made it pretty clear that he wanted a return on our academy investment. This is a guy renowned for working with kids, and giving them the best possible chance of making it. Already it’s pretty clear that we’ve got a couple of players who could just do that.

But it’s going to take time. And there’s got to be the right blend of youthful promise and experienced know-how. I’m pretty sure, three games in, that BR will have spotted the weaknesses within the squad. You’d hope there’s money to supplant what we’ve got and bring in who we need. If we can set the foundations this season, there’s no reason why we can’t have a real go at promotion next year. Would it really hurt to consolidate for a year?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Aug 2009 09:40

Whore Jackie
Schards#2 This is a clear statement of our commitment to return to the Premier League.

i.e - we don't have any

There’s more than just one way of getting back to the Premier League. For perfectly legitimate reasons, JM has decided that a spend, spend, spend strategy isn’t for Reading. When has it ever been? In appointing Brendan Rodgers, he made it pretty clear that he wanted a return on our academy investment. This is a guy renowned for working with kids, and giving them the best possible chance of making it. Already it’s pretty clear that we’ve got a couple of players who could just do that.

But it’s going to take time. And there’s got to be the right blend of youthful promise and experienced know-how. I’m pretty sure, three games in, that BR will have spotted the weaknesses within the squad. You’d hope there’s money to supplant what we’ve got and bring in who we need. If we can set the foundations this season, there’s no reason why we can’t have a real go at promotion next year. Would it really hurt to consolidate for a year?
You'd hope so yes. Whether he's willing to spend any of it is another matter.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Aug 2009 09:51

As others have talked about, I'm concerned about the general direction the club is headed. Mills - accepted, appears to be a good buy, although let's judge him properly after 10-15 games.

But what else? There does not appear to have been an attempt to replace players who have left who are significantly better than their replacements. Doyle, Hunt, Harper (when he goes) are all a class above our other options. I'd argue Bikey too, and even Hahnemann over Federici - arguably as a striking option, Kitson too, even if he was only on loan.

Whilst I agree with RR that we can trust the club to run itself in the best way for this season and the future, I do question exactly what the goals are this season. There can't be much of a precedent for teams making a play-off semi, and then almost just deciding to rebuild from the bottom up rather than invest in new, proven players - but that's what we seem to be doing. Bizarre.

It's been a terrific few years for RFC, but also a strange few years. There can't be many clubs who get promoted to the Premier League, come 8th, get relegated the next season, and then come 4th at the first attempt to come back up - and yet, over those three years see the quality of their squad slowly diminish.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 18 Aug 2009 10:06

For all his great performances over the seasons, there was always that moment in a game when he lost the plot. This ultimately culminated in the penalty and sending off in the Burnley game, for that I have never forgiven him and I am glad to see him go.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Aug 2009 10:24

cmonurz There does not appear to have been an attempt to replace players who have left who are significantly better than their replacements. Doyle, Hunt, Harper (when he goes) are all a class above our other options. I'd argue Bikey too, and even Hahnemann over Federici - arguably as a striking option, Kitson too, even if he was only on loan.

Look, I know it's not going to satisfy everyone because experience is so key in many people's minds but I would suggest that Davies, Pearce, Mills, Church, Karacan, Robson Kanu, Henry, Federici, Hamer, Bertrand are quite probably better than the players they are replacing were at the same age.

The point is that we have a young squad that, Royalee apart, no-one really thought was going to challenge for the League this season, and if they can get a decent season under their belts, continuing to improve as players, then some (most of them perhaps) will develop under Rodgers into better players than the likes of Hahnemann, Armstrong, Duberry, Ingimarsson, Harper, Cisse, Kebe, Lita, SHunt etc. ever became.

Rodgers will be working to get the balance right between youth and experience to ensure that the youngsters can continue to develop without too much pressure on their shoulders, but if we replace the players who have gone with "significantly better" players (as your poorly constructed opening sentence suggests! :wink: ) then the youth won't get much of a chance, and it simply has to if the club is to capitalise on the opportunities its Academy has presented.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Aug 2009 10:28

Royal Rother
cmonurz There does not appear to have been an attempt to replace players who have left who are significantly better than their replacements. Doyle, Hunt, Harper (when he goes) are all a class above our other options. I'd argue Bikey too, and even Hahnemann over Federici - arguably as a striking option, Kitson too, even if he was only on loan.

Look, I know it's not going to satisfy everyone because experience is so key in many people's minds but I would suggest that Davies, Pearce, Mills, Church, Karacan, Robson Kanu, Henry, Federici, Hamer, Bertrand are quite probably better than the players they are replacing were at the same age.

The point is that we have a young squad that, Royalee apart, no-one really thought was going to challenge for the League this season, and if they can get a decent season under their belts, continuing to improve as players, then some (most of them perhaps) will develop under Rodgers into better players than the likes of Hahnemann, Armstrong, Duberry, Ingimarsson, Harper, Cisse, Kebe, Lita, SHunt etc. ever became.

Rodgers will be working to get the balance right between youth and experience to ensure that the youngsters can continue to develop without too much pressure on their shoulders, but if we replace the players who have gone with "significantly better" players (as your poorly constructed opening sentence suggests! :wink: ) then the youth won't get much of a chance, and it simply has to if the club is to capitalise on the opportunities its Academy has presented.

As per my post the other day I agree with the jist of what you're saying. My only personal dissapointment is Reading badly need a striker and arguably another winger. This isn't a new phenomenon. Rodgers has been here 2-3months. Reading had got rid of Kitson and Lita and Doyle was gone within a week. Has Rodgers just been on Facebook the whole time or something? Reading were dire in early 09, and the signs aren't much greater so far in terms of goals. Also Jimmy Kebe, replace and replace now. Be it with a young player having a run i the side or preferably a new signing. Even if they do eventually pay some money for Smith, he still need a striker. I really hoped Rodgers would be a bit more pro active than Coppell in the market, but thus far there isn't much evidence. Every idiot like me can see that Reading are worse up front than Kate Moss so why can't someone who actually knows what he's doing see it?. PLEASE SIGN A FORWARD.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 18 Aug 2009 10:37

Alan Partridge As per my post the other day I agree with the jist of what you're saying. My only personal dissapointment is Reading badly need a striker and arguably another winger. This isn't a new phenomenon. Rodgers has been here 2-3months. Reading had got rid of Kitson and Lita and Doyle was gone within a week. Has Rodgers just been on Facebook the whole time or something? Reading were dire in early 09, and the signs aren't much greater so far in terms of goals. Also Jimmy Kebe, replace and replace now. Be it with a young player having a run i the side or preferably a new signing. Even if they do eventually pay some money for Smith, he still need a striker. I really hoped Rodgers would be a bit more pro active than Coppell in the market, but thus far there isn't much evidence. Every idiot like me can see that Reading are worse up front than Kate Moss so why can't someone who actually knows what he's doing see it?. PLEASE SIGN A FORWARD.

Thing is, Rodgers said he'd given a list of targets to Hammond, who was working on them. Maybe the system'e the problem, and the managers are victims of it? I can't believe that Rodgers wouldn't have got the 2-3 more players in that he stated he needed right from the off.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Aug 2009 10:52

Great piece of business for an entertaining but unreliable bit-part player. Hats off to Squeaky on that one. He really has reeled them in these last few windows!! Wonder if he's on a commision!?

Someone else on here mentioned that you don't always get promotion if you spend, spend, spend. Well Mr Mad is obviously trying a unique "get up on a Sell, Sell, Sell policy"! Whatever you say about RFC, you cannot deny it is certainly interesting being an RFC supporter!! Anyone wish for the days of 3rd tier mediocrity, year after year after year? Thought not!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Aug 2009 11:24

In some respects our plan has never changed. With the possible exception of Pardew in the 3rd tier we've rarely bought "proven" and on the occasions we have, they've quite often disappointed.

We make proven players we don't buy them. The only major difference now is that we're focusing more on trying to find the next Bikey,Sonko, Sidwell, Doyle & Kitson from within rather than scouring the lower leagues, Ireland or the far flung corners of the World.

As with all plans and strategies that require a fairly tight budget, there are flaws and mistakes are likely to be made along the way but I'm looking foward to seeing how we go. Again I know its just my personal opinion but getting to the top tier was much much more entertaining & satisfying than actually being there.

I'm looking forward to what the next 3 seasons will bring. Good and Bad.

Tankman
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tankman » 18 Aug 2009 11:36

Vision In some respects our plan has never changed. With the possible exception of Pardew in the 3rd tier we've rarely bought "proven" and on the occasions we have, they've quite often disappointed.

We make proven players we don't buy them. The only major difference now is that we're focusing more on trying to find the next Bikey,Sonko, Sidwell, Doyle & Kitson from within rather than scouring the lower leagues, Ireland or the far flung corners of the World.

As with all plans and strategies that require a fairly tight budget, there are flaws and mistakes are likely to be made along the way but I'm looking foward to seeing how we go. Again I know its just my personal opinion but getting to the top tier was much much more entertaining & satisfying than actually being there.

I'm looking forward to what the next 3 seasons will bring. Good and Bad.

I'd have to agree with this, especially the bit about getting to the Premier League being better than actually being there.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Aug 2009 11:39

Bikey clearly wanted to go, and TBH now we've signed Mills I don't think he would have been a first choice CB anyway, especially when Ingi gets back.

2.8 million for an inconsistent back-up is excellent business IMO.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Aug 2009 11:46

Royal Rother

I believe Rodgers and the board are working on giving this young squad every chance to succeed and will only turn to "experience" if relegation becomes an issue.

If this wasn't the case, players like Harper would have started on both Saturday's rather than just on Tuesday.

Whilst the cries of "no ambition/investment" always litter these pages, our simply dreadful record for getting players from the academy established in the first team seems to be lost on many fans.

It's now nearly 2 decades since the likes of Williams and Lovell came through the ranks and it seems to me that many supporters have simply lost the mindset required to accept that risks have to be taken in order that young players get the time they need to become seasoned professionals.

As AP says above, Coppell ultimately didn't trust the products of our academy and this is why all this young talent appears to be coming out of the woodwork at the moment.

We now have a choice. Admit that we've wasted 20 years of investment and allow these players, many of whom have already had league experience on loan, to go the same way as Simon Cox or, sling them in at the deep end to see who swims and which sinkers need to be replaced.

In the old days we had little money and no one expected RFC to buy success but most clubs who can afford this approach also find room for home grown talent to flourish.

I believe this young squad will prove good enough to survive this season with relative ease but that, now is the time to ask them all the right questions on the pitch so that we still have time for a rescue mission in the form of added "experience" should one be required.

With every team that Rodgers has selected to date and with every senoir player that departs I have become more convinced that this will be our MO for the forseeable future...........................it nice to see I'm not alone in looking forward to it.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 18 Aug 2009 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 18 Aug 2009 11:47

winchester_royal Bikey clearly wanted to go, and TBH now we've signed Mills I don't think he would have been a first choice CB anyway, especially when Ingi gets back.

2.8 million for an inconsistent back-up is excellent business IMO.

+1 but this money needs to go back into the squad in other areas

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Aug 2009 11:53

We'll see over the next 3 or 4 games when the likes of Mills, Marek, Hunt and Harper will be fully fit and ready to play.

It's one thing playing Burton in the cup - that may as well have just been a preseason game. It's another thing to play Forest, or Newcastle or Swansea in the league.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 18 Aug 2009 11:54

i could not help but laugh at the Burnley forum, they are wondering whether Bikey will be getting a special velcro shirt this season that allows him to rip his shirt off with greater ease. :P

382 posts