680 posts

who do you want as our next manager?

George Burley, a jock who likes his booze
2%
Darren Ferguson, another jock
27%
Steve Coppell, never go back?
13%
Lawrie Sanchez, no personality/long ball?
2%
Steve Cotterill, another Brenda = talks a good game but little else?
1%
Gareth Southgate, ummm track record?
6%
Alan Curbishley, out of his comfort zone?
29%
Sean O Driscoll, unproven at a big club?
4%
Paul Hart, better as a youth coach?
0%
Glen Hoddle, has the halo lost its glow?
3%
Paul Tisdale, the thinking man's crumpet?
6%
Phil Parkinson, mean, angry but has he the nous?
6%

Total votes: 326
warrpp

Re: The Fans decide: poll for next manager

by warrpp » 17 Dec 2009 12:57

£500,000 in compensation to watford, and £400,000 a year in wages,says to me rodgers wasn't the "cheap opton" some seem to think he was ?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Manager

by facaldaqui » 17 Dec 2009 13:00

It will be interesting to see what happens with McDermott in charge because it will show us how far Rodgers was the problem. If I were McDermott, I'd use Kebe and Long only as bench players, bring back Henry, Mooney, and Davies, and bring Mills more into action. During the window, I'd try to beg, steal, or borrow a right back. If something like that worked, then it would show that Rodgers was doing things wrong. If it didn't, then Madejski would have to take full responsibility for the limitations placed upon management.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 17 Dec 2009 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Dec 2009 13:03

14 pages of speculation when you already have your answer..... :roll: :

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 31,00.html

Forthwith.....no mention of caretaking, no mention of a search for a new manager starting.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 17 Dec 2009 13:04

Eddie Howe

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 17 Dec 2009 13:04

I think McDermott's as good an option as any, in the circumstances.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 17 Dec 2009 13:12

Royalwaster I can't believe people say things like Gareth Southgate did OK for Middlesborough - he got them relegated for Pete's sake and then did pretty badly in the Championship, worse than we did last year. If we get him, I'm resigning myself to League 1.

True, but look how Strachan's doing there now.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 17 Dec 2009 13:18

Just to wind up the watford fans.....Malky Mackay!

Boomer

by Boomer » 17 Dec 2009 13:22

I expect McDermott will be appointed. He knows the youngsters and had success with them last year and could be one for the future.
Whether he's one for now remains to be seen but I reckon he'll be given the chance with an experienced assistant.

Either that or they'll bring in an experienced manager to see out the season with McDermott as his assistant to ready him for the top job.

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 17 Dec 2009 13:25

West Stand Flash Ferguson was our first choice, surely it must be him????????

+1....or ian holloway perhaps. all right, he makes some wierd comments, but im sure he,d brighten the place up. never a dull moment with ollie!! (just my opinion folks)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 13:32

floyd__streete 14 pages of speculation when you already have your answer..... :roll: :

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 31,00.html

Forthwith.....no mention of caretaking, no mention of a search for a new manager starting.

It would be very nice indeed if the club would put out a fcuking statement and clarify what the hell is going on.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Dec 2009 13:33

They have. McDermott is in charge until you hear otherwise - there's nowt all else to say at the moment.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 17 Dec 2009 13:34

Boomer I expect McDermott will be appointed. He knows the youngsters and had success with them last year and could be one for the future.
Whether he's one for now remains to be seen but I reckon he'll be given the chance with an experienced assistant.

Sounds familiar.___ What John Madejski wants is a yes man, someone unlike Brendan Rodgers who will accept he has little money to play with and who must still conjur up miracles. McDermott might well be the man for the job.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 17 Dec 2009 13:47

Ideal Boobies, that is pathetic, even for you.
What Madejski wants is a manager who doesnt spend two million pounds on someone who doesnt play.

£1.1m, and that really isn't a lot for a young sort after central defender.___ As for the Chairman, he clearly wants someone who will go about his business quietly (Coppell), and not grunt and moan for money to spend. Rodgers didn't get much support at all. The next manager, whoever that may be, will know from the off that the ship is tight and he must work with what he has, with little money where possible.

Very near...far away

by Very near...far away » 17 Dec 2009 13:50

BBC Football refers to McDermott as temporary manager. I'm sure they know.

Expect Tony Adams to say that Santa Claus recommended him to Madejski - and for Madejski to strenuously deny it.

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 17 Dec 2009 13:53

Alan Partridge
Royalee Let's not let the fans decide...

the list is pretty shocking in fairness:

Burley - sacked by Ipswich, Hearts and Scotland, wouldn't be able to afford him and he wouldn't be able to do anything with this squad.

Coppell - destroyed everything Pardew and Madejski built yet enjoys hero worship for 2 good seasons in 6. Won't want to come back and face the music for what he realises he's done.

Sanchez - failed at Wycombe, failed at Fulham - does Alan Partridge want him though? :lol:

Cotterill - Burnley improved as soon as he left, mediocre to poor.

Curbishley - absolutely no way he'd come here with the lack of resources, LOL at him getting a mention, he's not stupid enough to take the job.

O'Driscoll - wouldn't come here from Doncaster as they don't have an idiot for a chairman.

Paul Hart - kicked out of Forest, Barnsley and Portsmouth, no thanks.

Hoddle - failed at Spurs and Wolves with reasonable money available, I don't think Jimmy Kebe would understand Eileen Drewery.

Tisdale - Doubt he'd come here - there must be better jobs available to him and he's enjoying it where he is.

Parkinson - Hated at Hull, has so far achieved nothing at Charlton.

Southgate - LOL

Ferguson - best candidate on paper, but he'd only work if he was backed financially, which is very unlikely given Madejski is 'cutting the cloth'.

re Sanchez, to say he failed at Wycombe is a bit rich considering they have never been as good since he left there. Kept Fuham up then struggled the next year. I think Sanchez with little or no resources is fine, it's when he gets cash to spend he didn't cover himself in glory at Fulham. Conveniantly left NI off there who would have him back tomorrow.

He wouldn't be my first choice but i'd sooner him than the clown who has just left.

Your post is an angry stroppy response that is quite laughable.You dismiss several candidates who have done more in a season than Rodgers has done in his lifetime. Fact is Rodgers has been a complete and utter disaster for this club and he's cost us an absolute fortune to first hire and then fire.

Sanchez most certainly failed at Wycombe. I should know as I lost money on them throughout his time in charge. He had FOUR FULL YEARS at Adams Park, and left them where they were when he joined, in a fight to avoid relegation from the third flight. I thought Sanchez was going to be very good; he wasn't, at best he was decidedly average.
To describe poor Rodgers as a clown, when the poor man had less than half a season to show what he was capable of, and prefer a PROVEN failure, and dreadful moaner to boot, is further evidence of the lack of judgement prevalent amongst many of the anti-Rodgers brigade. Rodgers may have gone on to be a complete and utter disaster for your club, but if he's cost it an absolute fortune blame Madejski for not standing by his man.
I just hope the new manager, be it McDermott or otherwise, can get the team winning soon and finish the season with as many points as possible. My money isn't on Brendan Rodgers' Reading this season, it's on READING.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 13:55

Stranded They have. McDermott is in charge until you hear otherwise - there's nowt all else to say at the moment.

You don't consider it to be thoroughly ambiguous and misleading?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Dec 2009 13:57

winchester_royal
Stranded They have. McDermott is in charge until you hear otherwise - there's nowt all else to say at the moment.

You don't consider it to be thoroughly ambiguous and misleading?

Not in the slightest - he has been put in charge and as of today is Manager of Reading FC until such time as they choose to apoint someone else.

Toxteth O'Grady (USA)

by Toxteth O'Grady (USA) » 17 Dec 2009 13:58

Paul Jewell.

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 17 Dec 2009 13:59

Arch I love the option of "Sean O'Driscoll, unproven at a big club". Well that's him ruled out for the Reading job then.

good call, i,d forgotten about him. encourages nice football ,by all accounts

Ryn

by Ryn » 17 Dec 2009 14:01

The official website just says that McDermott is in charge forthwith. Probably because they are still preparing an official statement.

To be honest he is the only member of staff left, after the other two useless clowns have backed out along with Rodgers, so he's the only candidate for the (temporary) job.

680 posts