Royals on the Box/Internet Thread

3239 posts
Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Royals on the Box/Internet Thread

by Zammo » 07 Aug 2024 16:27

From our time in the Championship, the coverage on Royals TV / iFollow was tons better than the 'one camera' Sky red button coverage. Hope it's not the same. Didn't even have replays lol.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 07 Aug 2024 16:55

Sutekh
Clyde1998
Zammo With the advent of Sky Sports +, I see that even our away trip to Col U on Tuesday is being screened live.

Seriously, who is gonna watch that :?

I've seen our EFL Trophy game against West Ham U21s is on it too. I guess Sky will have to up the bandwidth on that one. :lol:

How are all these league cup and FL midweek games actually accessible to the customer? Sky have a dedicated channel called Sky Sports Plus which I think is where you "tune" to, presume then it's just a case of using the red button to select the games you want? Alternatively to go through their App (which I've always found to be rather cr@p).

Reading the information provided by Virgin Media, it appears Sky Sports Plus will replace Sky Sports Arena and effectively be an expanded red button service.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Addict

by Royals and Racers » 07 Aug 2024 18:00

Clyde1998
Sutekh
Clyde1998 I've seen our EFL Trophy game against West Ham U21s is on it too. I guess Sky will have to up the bandwidth on that one. :lol:

How are all these league cup and FL midweek games actually accessible to the customer? Sky have a dedicated channel called Sky Sports Plus which I think is where you "tune" to, presume then it's just a case of using the red button to select the games you want? Alternatively to go through their App (which I've always found to be rather cr@p).

Reading the information provided by Virgin Media, it appears Sky Sports Plus will replace Sky Sports Arena and effectively be an expanded red button service.

From what i understand that’s not correct- you need to go back a page and go on the link RG 30 provided which explains it all. I have a SKY + HD box which today i have upgraded to a SKY Q box.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 07 Aug 2024 19:19

Royals and Racers
Clyde1998
Sutekh

From what i understand that’s not correct- you need to go back a page and go on the link RG 30 provided which explains it all. I have a SKY + HD box which today i have upgraded to a SKY Q box.

The article I posted from the Virgin Media website says:
How do I watch Sky Sports+ on Virgin TV?

If you watch TV on our Virgin TV 360 box or Stream from Virgin Media, there are three ways to access Sky Sports+. You’ll find the best action available in HD or SD (depending on your subscription) on CH 508, formerly Sky Sports Arena, with all the live action accessible at the touch of a button on Sky Sports+ Red Button. This can be accessed by pressing the red button on your remote (not the Record button) on any Sky Sports channel.

And you can also use the Sky Sports app (available free to all Sky Sports subscribers) to get all the live sport available on Sky Sports+, with the added bonus that you can watch wherever you are in the UK, as long as there’s WiFi, 3G or 4G.

If you watch on our TiVo® box or V6 box (powered by TiVo), you can get all the action on Sky Sports+ on CH 508 in HD (or SD on CH 518) or the Sky Sports app. You can’t get the Sky Sports+ Red Button, though, so if that sounds like something you want then it’s super-simple to upgrade your Virgin TV box. Just contact us on 0345 454 1111 (or call 150 from a Virgin Media phone).

So unless I'm reading that wrong, if you have a Virgin Media 360 or Stream box, you'd select content by going to channel 508 (currently Sky Sports Arena) and press the red button to access the streaming content. Older boxes - TiVo and V6 - can only access a linear channel; the Sky Sports app or an upgrade would be required to access the streaming content.

That article posted by RG30 says (for Sky boxes):
The Sky Sports+ linear channel, which is launching on August 8, will showcase a selection of games and events from the Sports+ catalogue, replacing the Sky Sports Arena channel:

Sky Q: Channel Number 412
Sky Glass / Stream: Channel Number 410

It’s worth noting that subscribers with the older Sky+ box will receive the new Sky Sports+ linear channel (if they have a full sports subscription), but they won’t have access to the live streams as Sky+ is not compatible with the Sky Sports+ streaming app.

Seems to be a similar story with Sky boxes - the older boxes can only receive the linear channel and would require upgrading to receive the streamed content. It didn't say how the streaming content would be accessed though (red button, integrated menu via the home menu, etc.)

This article states:
Firstly, on Thursday, TV channel ‘Sky Sports Arena’ will actually rebrand to Sky Sports+. You can access this on Sky channel 412, or 410 on Sky Glass, and via channel number 508 if you’re a Virgin Media user.

The ‘Sky Sports+’ channel will have some main broadcasts on there, but the majority of content – if you are accessing it on your TV – will come via a click of the red button.
That suggests the streaming content is also accessed via the red button on Sky boxes.

I guess it should become clearer once the service becomes accessible tomorrow.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 08 Aug 2024 16:35

Hi - going to be in France for the Birmingham game, does anyone know if I can just buy a match pass as an overseas fan for that game?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Aug 2024 18:14

Ginger Ninjas Hi - going to be in France for the Birmingham game, does anyone know if I can just buy a match pass as an overseas fan for that game?

Should be able to.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Aug 2024 18:44

Ginger Ninjas Hi - going to be in France for the Birmingham game, does anyone know if I can just buy a match pass as an overseas fan for that game?

I may be misunderstanding but I thought that if the game was a designated TV broadcast then Royals TV isn't available either home or abroad.

A quick glance at Royals TV shows options for a yearly or monthly international pass but nothing for a one off game so your guess is as good as mine to be honest.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 08 Aug 2024 20:34

Vision

I may be misunderstanding but I thought that if the game was a designated TV broadcast then Royals TV isn't available either home or abroad.

A quick glance at Royals TV shows options for a yearly or monthly international pass but nothing for a one off game so your guess is as good as mine to be honest.

Yes, if a game is covered by Sky then it will not be able to view on Reading TV. Which means if Sky are covering 20 guaranteed games then only 26 should be available via Reading TV...and seeing as the subscription went up by 40 pounds that seems a little harsh. However, i need my Reading fix so i paid for the yearly subscription :D :D

It does look like DAZN (Canada) is covering the Birmingham game so looks like my lucks in there as i still have 4 months left with there subscription. Happy Days.
Apparently CBS and Paramount + i9n the US are covering the games also.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Aug 2024 21:33

Crowbar6753
Vision

Yes, if a game is covered by Sky then it will not be able to view on Reading TV. Which means if Sky are covering 20 guaranteed games then only 26 should be available via Reading TV...and seeing as the subscription went up by 40 pounds that seems a little harsh. However, i need my Reading fix so i paid for the yearly subscription :D :D

It does look like DAZN (Canada) is covering the Birmingham game so looks like my lucks in there as i still have 4 months left with there subscription. Happy Days.

Yeah I've no problem with watching the games in the US and am happy to pay the added money direct to Royals TV for the yearly subscription. I was just answering Ginger Ninja's query as I don't think he's going to be able to stream it via Royals TV.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 08 Aug 2024 21:47

Thanks all - will see if they’re selling it when I’m there, guess that will answer the question

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Aug 2024 10:01

Crowbar6753
Vision

It being on Sky in the UK does not mean it won't be available on Royals TV abroad for example, midweek games that have been available on red button have been shown internationally on RTV and in the UK I think. I would think the same applies here, tomorrow may not be available as it is a "main game" but alternate games should still be available as will all midweek games.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 10 Aug 2024 17:11

Crowbar6753
Vision

Ugh! With the exchange rate, the price went up over 50 percent and with the reduction in streamed games it's more than 100 percent. Anyone know how much of the fees go to the club?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2024 17:27

Game on Royals TV fine for me.

Or not, bastard technical issues.

Farnham Royal

by Farnham Royal » 11 Aug 2024 02:32

Royals TV worked fine for me. No commentary for the first 10 minutes or so which was really quite pleasant! Am often tempted to mute it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2024 08:18

Farnham Royal Royals TV worked fine for me. No commentary for the first 10 minutes or so which was really quite pleasant! Am often tempted to mute it.

Yeah a quick refresh worked

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2024 19:40

Are the cup games included with the Royals TV International pass? I don't remember that being the case last season, but I can't see anywhere to buy a match pass, and I have watch live, just no broadcast as yet.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Aug 2024 19:52

Snowflake Royal Are the cup games included with the Royals TV International pass? I don't remember that being the case last season, but I can't see anywhere to buy a match pass, and I have watch live, just no broadcast as yet.

Carabao Cup games are included. It also seems that games covered by Sky and Sky+ will be available with a Royals TV international pass. The only games not available will be those EFL select for International Broadcast, our home game v Huddersfield being the first one). Maybe the massive 28% increase in cost is down to having to buy rights from Sky? Would be interesting to see what other clubs are charging for their video service.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Aug 2024 19:54

Having said that, apparently viewers in the US currently only getting audio for tonight's game!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2024 19:57

RoyalBlue Having said that, apparently viewers in the US currently only getting audio for tonight's game!

Same for me in Germany and South Korea.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 13 Aug 2024 20:40

Same here, just sound no video in Canada!!

3239 posts