Pauno out

3542 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pauno out

by Hound » 16 Feb 2022 15:59

slight crossover from a bored post of mine on another thread

but just to repeat on Pauno's record. Finished last season with 1 win in 11, and less than a PPG this year

And anyone thinking we'll be fine when we get our full squad back fit - sample and settled team from the run in last year was:

Rafael
Yiadom Holmes Moore Richards
Rino Laurent
Meite Olise Ejaria
Joao

Mind-blowing that he is still in a job. But we all know that.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Feb 2022 16:00

blythspartan If this thread gets to 200 pages do we all have to chip in £10.00 to Brogue’s PayPal account? What do you get on here for reaching 200 pages?

I got nothing for my Rival Watch thread. You owe me a tenner

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 16 Feb 2022 16:02

Perhaps Pauno will be sacked 5 minutes before kick off tonight just to cause the maximum disruption ahead of our biggest game of the season. Seems to be the Reading way at the moment.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 16 Feb 2022 16:22

morganb So, does anyone know, or can anyone take an educated guess, as to why Pauno is still in?

- It isn't to do with FFP or money issues
- It is not because of good results
- Performances and tactics have been poor
- Poor league position and out of the Cups
- Team morale appears to be low
- He has lost the dressing room
- Opposition haven't been world-beaters
- Injuries have improved so can not longer be used as an excuse
- We've managed to strengthen the team with new players
- Disruptive influences have been shipped out
- Crowds are falling due to performances
- He even allegedly offered to resign

Is it because:

- There are financial implications we are unaware of
- Trying to find a replacement is taking time
- Chinese pride/stubbornness from the owners

Non of the above. It is because he offered to leave.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Feb 2022 19:14

NathStPaul
blythspartan If this thread gets to 200 pages do we all have to chip in £10.00 to Brogue’s PayPal account? What do you get on here for reaching 200 pages?

A Reading League One season ticket.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2022 19:36

Zip
NathStPaul

A Reading League One season ticket.

2021/22 season review dvd surely. League One could be fun with some new teams and winning the odd game.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Feb 2022 19:37

Snowflake Royal
Zip
NathStPaul A Reading League One season ticket.

2021/22 season review dvd surely. League One could be fun with some new teams and winning the odd game.

Don’t bet on it master Royal. I can see us going down again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2022 19:40

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Don’t bet on it master Royal. I can see us going down again.

Point being, one is definitely awful, the other may be awful, or may be fine. Your belief of what it will be is irrelevant (as is mine).

JR

by JR » 16 Feb 2022 22:33

Has a manager ever had so little support from his players, the supporters and the media, yet still kept his job?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 Feb 2022 22:46

Steve Kean at Blackburn?

JR

by JR » 16 Feb 2022 22:48

RG30 Steve Kean at Blackburn?

Good point - common theme being owners that had no clue about what they were investing in

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 16 Feb 2022 22:58

Asked about his future - "no comment"

He's going, it's just when.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Feb 2022 23:22

PATRIQT Asked about his future - "no comment"

He's going, it's just when.

I think he’s going tomorrow.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 16 Feb 2022 23:30

Think tomorrow may be the day he goes. Clearly should be sacked and sacked a long time ago. Feel for him a bit as I think he is getting a lot of anger that should be directed at the faceless cowards above him.

Once we are relegated I hope this prompts a full review of what is going wrong with this club. It’s not just the manager that’s for sure.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Feb 2022 23:39

So, any fanbase contains a lot of idiots, and people who are just angry. But my feeling of the last few weeks is not anger at Pauno himself, it's anger that the owners have allowed him to stay in his position. He's tried his best, he seems to be a decent person, but he doesn't have what it takes to manage a Championship team dealing with all the issues Reading have faced. So, all we're saying is that he's basically not in the top 1% of professional football managers worldwide . . . . .. which is not an insult really.

I personally have zero anger towards Pauno. I'm sorry for him and us that it didn't work out - but i'm unsurprised given that he had very little in his background that suggest it would work out. It's like letting a 10 year old drive a bus - you don't blame the kid when it crashes.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Feb 2022 23:54

Snowflake Royal
Zip
NathStPaul A Reading League One season ticket.

You're obsessed with us playing in league one. It's a shit league, I've seen us play at that level and watched enough games at that level over the years. Playing Cambridge United, Fleetwood and Accrington Stanley on a Tuesday night does not make me enthusiastic at all in front of a few thousand fans.

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 17 Feb 2022 00:01

Elm Park Kid So, any fanbase contains a lot of idiots, and people who are just angry. But my feeling of the last few weeks is not anger at Pauno himself, it's anger that the owners have allowed him to stay in his position. He's tried his best, he seems to be a decent person, but he doesn't have what it takes to manage a Championship team dealing with all the issues Reading have faced. So, all we're saying is that he's basically not in the top 1% of professional football managers worldwide . . . . .. which is not an insult really.

I personally have zero anger towards Pauno. I'm sorry for him and us that it didn't work out - but i'm unsurprised given that he had very little in his background that suggest it would work out. It's like letting a 10 year old drive a bus - you don't blame the kid when it crashes.

I very much echo this but don’t feel that he helps himself with his post match comments.

His almost half-arsed approach of addressing every controversial question with ‘no comment’ only acts to infuriate large parts of the fanbase.

It would almost make more sense for him to go on a 5 minute tangent about how hard he has tried, if he isn’t good enough then feel free to get rid, etc, if he truly has asked to leave and been denied such.

I understand it wouldn’t necessarily be beneficial for his future prospects but surely any owner from the outside looking in can understand how he seemingly has been thrown under the bus.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 17 Feb 2022 00:05

Elm Park Kid So, any fanbase contains a lot of idiots, and people who are just angry. But my feeling of the last few weeks is not anger at Pauno himself, it's anger that the owners have allowed him to stay in his position. He's tried his best, he seems to be a decent person, but he doesn't have what it takes to manage a Championship team dealing with all the issues Reading have faced. So, all we're saying is that he's basically not in the top 1% of professional football managers worldwide . . . . .. which is not an insult really.

I agree with this a lot. Felt sorry for the bloke tonight in many ways. Didn’t feel the Pauno Out chants should’ve started as early as the 50th minute, when the game was there to be won. Fair enough late on in the game.

The post-match interviews are just pointless now, he doesn’t want to be here, he’s tried his best, but the owners are hanging him out to try. He needs to be sacked for his own good. oxf*rd off Dai

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 17 Feb 2022 08:07

If he’s still here for the Birmingham game I am up for joining any protest.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Feb 2022 08:21

blythspartan If he’s still here for the Birmingham game I am up for joining any protest.

Yeah it’s getting that way

3542 posts