Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

464 posts
cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Guthrie Apologises...

by cmonurz » 13 Dec 2012 10:07

Silver Fox
moonwalklikebas His mrs is heavily pregnant. I think he didn't travel due to something happening regarding that. which is fair enough in my opinion. You all wanted an apology and now he's given one and for you its not good enough.

He has apologised, let's move on now.

If this is true he needed to say that was the case, it worked for gareth Bale. As he didn't say this then frankly it's bollocks

On the one hand you'll criticise the guy for 'being a cock', and on the other you want him to pick another fight with McDermott?

Safe to say if McDermott has created this mountain out of Guthrie having concern for his missus, then Guthrie will toe the line and then go in January.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Dec 2012 10:11

cmonurz
Silver Fox
moonwalklikebas His mrs is heavily pregnant. I think he didn't travel due to something happening regarding that. which is fair enough in my opinion. You all wanted an apology and now he's given one and for you its not good enough.

He has apologised, let's move on now.

If this is true he needed to say that was the case, it worked for gareth Bale. As he didn't say this then frankly it's bollocks

On the one hand you'll criticise the guy for 'being a cock', and on the other you want him to pick another fight with McDermott?

I'm genuinely perplexed where you've deduced that from?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 13 Dec 2012 10:14

I think that he is showing all the signs of having checked out already mentally. The statement seems nothing other than window-dressing to take the heat off.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 13 Dec 2012 10:21

Matt Mills was forgiven after making a statement like this. Maybe if not selected he needs to sit in the east stand on monday.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

by cmonurz » 13 Dec 2012 10:30

Silver Fox
Maguire I can't believe people on here are backing Guthrie over Brian McDermott and Reading Football Club.

Your head's not right? Stop acting thecunt, get on the damn bus and start earning your wages. Guthrie can absolutely do one as far i'm concerned.

^this, I managed to read three pages of these pcunts last night before I had to stop before I threw my phone out the window. God forbid I was evr as badly treated as this 35k a week lobster eating twat

Puts it all in a different context if he said he couldn't travel because his missus is unwell. Not fair to criticise Guthrie for being a gobby shit who doesn't care about the team, then say 'well if his wife is ill he should come out and say it'.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Dec 2012 10:34

You're basing all this extrapoLOLation on what "moonwalklikebas" thinks? Jesus.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 13 Dec 2012 10:35

Platypuss You're basing all this extrapoLOLation on what "moonwalklikebas" thinks? Jesus.

No more or less relevant than what you think.

Esteban

by Esteban » 13 Dec 2012 10:36

As always in situations like this, the legacy of it will be determined by what happens next. He has apologised and been fined two weeks wages (perhaps the club might use that money to make a gesture to the hardy fans who travelled to Sunderland?), which is the correct thing to do. Brian now needs to come out and state his intentions for the rest of Guthrie’s time with Reading. McAnuff, as captain, needs to come out and show some support and solidarity, despite this unsavoury incident.

You will fail in sport (and business for that matter) if you let incidents like this define you. You have to accept what happened and turn it in to a positive. McDermott’s management of this situation should be judged by how it is dealt with, now that Guthrie has apologised. DG was bang out of order and let everybody down, there’s no escaping that. But there is now an opportunity for the club as a whole to turn this into something positive. There is no point whatsoever is letting it fester. To put it behind them, get Guthrie to buy into the system and play an important role within it is the best way forward. If we decide we want to sell him in January then we can still do that, but for the meantime, our threadbare midfield needs him in it.

I’m backing McDermott to achieve this and turn it around for the good of everybody involved. He has form with the likes of Mills returning to the side and leading us to Wembley.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Dec 2012 10:37

What I think is usually based on actual evidence. :|

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Dec 2012 10:37

cmonurz
Silver Fox
Maguire I can't believe people on here are backing Guthrie over Brian McDermott and Reading Football Club.

Your head's not right? Stop acting thecunt, get on the damn bus and start earning your wages. Guthrie can absolutely do one as far i'm concerned.

^this, I managed to read three pages of these pcunts last night before I had to stop before I threw my phone out the window. God forbid I was evr as badly treated as this 35k a week lobster eating twat

Puts it all in a different context if he said he couldn't travel because his missus is unwell. Not fair to criticise Guthrie for being a gobby shit who doesn't care about the team, then say 'well if his wife is ill he should come out and say it'.

WTF are you going on about? It was suggested his wife was heavily pregnant, not ill, if she was about to give birth, which I'd assume was the reason for stating that she was heavily pregnant then that's what he should have said and I'd have no problem with it. But he said his head wasn't right, something that's not in dispute, even from the people who wouldn't believe McD if he said the sky was up and the earth was down.

Even having explained that to you, I stil can't see how that suggests I think he should pick another fight with McDermott

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 13 Dec 2012 10:39

Because McDermott has quite clearly laid blame for this at Guthrie's feet. For Guthrie to then publicly state he wanted to stay at home to look after his wife would hardly be toeing the line.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 13 Dec 2012 10:39

Why do people assume footballers are any different to the rest of us? If your boss gave 2 far less able employees your duties and relegated you to the backroom in whatever field you work in, then you'd have the hump as well. At the end of the day, Reading FC are just his employer- why should he feel a special affiliation for our club?
The guy has been a premier league regular before, so I can understand his frustration. Utterly clueless management. McD needs to lose his own ego and pick the team that is most likely to win us games, no matter what personal differences he may have with the players (Pearce, Guthrie, Pog) etc.
Going back to the rel wolrd, in private business you often have to work with people whom you often despise, but you do so for the good of the company. Football isn't really any different in this regard.We aren't United, City, Chelsea, etc with world class substitutes to step in. Alex Ferguson picked Sheringham and Cole together for a number of years, and they hated one another!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Dec 2012 10:53

cmonurz Because McDermott has quite clearly laid blame for this at Guthrie's feet. For Guthrie to then publicly state he wanted to stay at home to look after his wife would hardly be toeing the line.

See if you can tell the difference between "Guthrie should have said he didn't want to travel because his wife was hevily pregnant" and "Guthrie should now change his story to say he didn't want to travel because his wife is heavily pregnant"

Esteban

by Esteban » 13 Dec 2012 10:55

jumpers for goalposts Why do people assume footballers are any different to the rest of us? If your boss gave 2 far less able employees your duties and relegated you to the backroom in whatever field you work in, then you'd have the hump as well. At the end of the day, Reading FC are just his employer- why should he feel a special affiliation for our club?
The guy has been a premier league regular before, so I can understand his frustration. Utterly clueless management. McD needs to lose his own ego and pick the team that is most likely to win us games, no matter what personal differences he may have with the players (Pearce, Guthrie, Pog) etc.
Going back to the rel wolrd, in private business you often have to work with people whom you often despise, but you do so for the good of the company. Football isn't really any different in this regard.We aren't United, City, Chelsea, etc with world class substitutes to step in. Alex Ferguson picked Sheringham and Cole together for a number of years, and they hated one another!

And by refusing to travel, Guthrie just gives McDermott another reason to leave him out. He can be as frustrated as he likes, but that is not the way to react to it. If I were in the position you describe in your scenario, yes, I'd have the hump. But if I refused to come to work, the boss would just leave me in the back room to rot. If I got my head down, worked hard and proved my worth, perhaps I'd get the recognition I deserve.

You reap what you sow.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 13 Dec 2012 11:00

Esteban ... situations like this ... will be determined by what happens next ...

Exactly. Historical "evidence" is irrelevant.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 13 Dec 2012 11:03

Where has the story that he didn't travel because of his pregnant wife come from anyway?

BM doesn't strike me as a complete pcunt who would have an issue with someone not travelling because their wife was really ill or ready to pop, so this is all bollocks really isn't it?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Dec 2012 11:08

southbank1871 Where has the story that he didn't travel because of his pregnant wife come from anyway?

BM doesn't strike me as a complete pcunt who would have an issue with someone not travelling because their wife was really ill or ready to pop, so this is all bollocks really isn't it?

Absolutely.

Smokescreen to gloss over the key point which is that Guthrie's a bad apple and a pcunt to boot. Silent p.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Dec 2012 11:11

jumpers for goalposts If your boss gave 2 far less able employees your duties and relegated you to the backroom in whatever field you work in, then you'd have the hump as well. At the end of the day, Reading FC are just his employer- why should he feel a special affiliation for our club?

I might have the hump but I wouldn't just stop turning up for fricking work. And who says Jay Tabb is worse? He hasn't played any worse in recent games than Guthrie did against eg. Liverpool.

Nobody's suggesting he needs a "special affiliation" for the club any more than I have a special affiliation for my company. He still gets paid 30k+ a week so refusing to go to a game because he doesn't fancy the trip or he thinks he's too good for the bench well, he can fack right off as far as i'm concerned.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 Dec 2012 11:12

jumpers for goalposts Why do people assume footballers are any different to the rest of us? If your boss gave 2 far less able employees your duties and relegated you to the backroom in whatever field you work in, then you'd have the hump as well. At the end of the day, Reading FC are just his employer- why should he feel a special affiliation for our club?

That happens to each ad everyone of us daily. Brown noses, or guys pally with the boss get the better ride. It's unprofessional.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 13 Dec 2012 11:27

Maguire
jumpers for goalposts If your boss gave 2 far less able employees your duties and relegated you to the backroom in whatever field you work in, then you'd have the hump as well. At the end of the day, Reading FC are just his employer- why should he feel a special affiliation for our club?

I might have the hump but I wouldn't just stop turning up for fricking work. And who says Jay Tabb is worse? He hasn't played any worse in recent games than Guthrie did against eg. Liverpool.

Nobody's suggesting he needs a "special affiliation" for the club any more than I have a special affiliation for my company. He still gets paid 30k+ a week so refusing to go to a game because he doesn't fancy the trip or he thinks he's too good for the bench well, he can fack right off as far as i'm concerned.

What he gets paid is irrelevant- it's all relative, and for a footballer it is 'normal', as peverse as that sounds
I'd agree that Tabb has been playing out of his skin, and deserves to play, but Leigertwood?
I'm also not saying he is going about it the right way. But the truth is none of us know what has gone on. Perhaps he has been giving his all in training and is still being overlooked. Perhaps he is at the end of his tether with the manager. Yes it's an arrogant way of doing things, but the reality is the guy won't struggle to find another premier league club I suspect. If any employee knows that they can easily get a job elsewhere, then they will be a little arrogant, and most probbaly won't want to give their all for a manager who seems more intesrested in making a point, rather than doing what's in the best interests of the football club

464 posts