HNA approval/disapproval of NA

418 posts

how long should we keep nigel adkins as manager?

get rid of now, his tactics are weak and we can do better
16%
give him till the end of december, then we will see where we are
4%
give him time to make signings in january and we will assess in march
6%
give him till the end of the season, he deserves a full season to show what he can do
44%
i am currently happy with our position in the table and the quality of football we are playing. this shouldnt be a discussion
20%
other
9%

Total votes: 232
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Adkins just isn't the 'Reading' type

by sandman » 22 Dec 2013 13:13

In both uses it is pretty disrespectful to call McD a cancer.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Dec 2013 13:13

As I say, the drama queenery here is someone having the temerity to say that Adkins is being undermined by anything to do with the previous regime.

What undermines Adkins is constant altering of the starting XI, dubious quality of signings made and questionable substitutions. Not to mention the fact he is an insincere, wannabe Estate Agent, psychobabble-squawking helmet.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Dec 2013 13:15

Exactly.

He just isn't helping himself.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Dec 2013 13:16

PistolPete Definition of cancer in English
noun
[mass noun]
[count noun] an evil or destructive practice or phenomenon that is hard to contain or eradicate

The spirit of McDermott is 'evil' :lol:

Only on Hob Nob, only Reading fans when speaking about their second best ever manager.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 22 Dec 2013 13:19

Evil OR destructive.

I kind of understand what the poster is saying, that McDermott was so popular that it was always going to be tough for the next guy.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Dec 2013 13:19

Bandini OP has this spot on. It seems that Adkins isn't even trying to win these days - it's more important for Atkins to maintain his "brand" of passing football than to get results now.

Good for him (maybe) but bad for the club.

Yesterday he explained exactly what he is trying to do and that objective is absolutely spot on. Better to build the team now that is capable of playing in a manner that gives a reasonable chance of survival in the PL than playing the lower league way, securing promotion and then trying to fix things once in the PL. The latter approach is doomed to failure as last season showed. If his persistence in adopting this passing approach costs us a few results in the short term, so what! I can't see how that is in any way detrimental to the club, in that longer term it will make us a much better and stronger team.

Arnie_Pie
P!ssed Off Majority of people near me at the games seem to dislike him with a passion. One guy said to me "the guy is a complefe joke" yesterday. But maybe I just imagined this conversation.
Every substitution is met with total contempt for the manager.

That is because most Readings fans are utter idiots.

We certainly have a good number of footballing retards who seem to hanker after the old English style of football, which is the very reason our national team is so damn poor. Those that criticised the substitutions yesterday were shown to be idiots!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 22 Dec 2013 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 22 Dec 2013 13:21

RoyalBlue
AirRaidSiren
sandman Coppell may have struggled at first but he was never as unlikeable as this man.

Unlikeable? What? So you and a few bell ends on an internet forum represent the entire Reading FC fan base? I do not know one person or Reading fan who dislikes him. It's all in your mind. It's what you want, not a fact.

Exactly. I definitely like the guy. Seems to me, some may struggle with the intelligent arguments and theories that he comes out with and dislike him for that. Since he is so articulate compared to many managers, some appear to interpret this as arrogance!

On Open day he clearly spoke about what he is trying to bring into our game, how he gets the players to train differently. He never once quoted saying it will be an instant success, he did say it will take time. He is very well liked by so many on and off the pitch, it's not fake. Except some of our disgraceful fans disliked him from the go, for no reason other than they were bitter towards the sacking of McDermott. It's not Adkins fault, he wants to win games, bring success. What harm is that? In the long run if he does not succeed in what he wants to achieve, then he has to go, like any other manager.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 22 Dec 2013 13:24

sandman Exactly.

He just isn't helping himself.

:lol:

You and Floyd are HNA's equivalent to Laurel and Hardy. A comedy pairing. Bliss.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Dec 2013 13:28

floyd__streete
PistolPete Definition of cancer in English
noun
[mass noun]
[count noun] an evil or destructive practice or phenomenon that is hard to contain or eradicate

The spirit of McDermott is 'evil' :lol:

Only on Hob Nob, only Reading fans when speaking about their second best ever manager.

Second most successful but I would very much dispute that he was our second best. Much as I dislike the character (after the way he treated our club) there is Pardew who did pretty well and has gone on to much bigger and better things. And there is another, who the anti-Adkins brigade also hounded out of the club who is now sat at the top of the PL. I would argue that both have now displayed greater all round ability than McDermott (and that is not meant to rubbish McDermott's fantastic achievements) McGhee was pretty damn good too, and I seem to remember people didn't like him when he started to try to change our style of football and struggled at first.

mambo3 If NA is serious he should get rid of the DEAD WOOD, find half dozen players either from the reserves or buy and bed them down for the season forget about promotion and go for it with a settled side next season.

In order to do the latter he has to have significant funds genuinely available for him to use. I take no comfort from Madejski's statement yesterday that funds will be available. How many times have we been told that only to see the equivalent of sweet FA happen in the transfer window as either the 'right players weren't available' or our targets go elsewhere?!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Dec 2013 13:42

RoyalBlue
Bandini OP has this spot on. It seems that Adkins isn't even trying to win these days - it's more important for Atkins to maintain his "brand" of passing football than to get results now.

Yesterday he explained exactly what he is trying to do and that objective is absolutely spot on. Better to build the team now that is capable of playing in a manner that gives a reasonable chance of survival in the PL than playing the lower league way, securing promotion and then trying to fix things once in the PL. The latter approach is doomed to failure as last season showed. If his persistence in adopting this passing approach costs us a few results in the short term, so what! I can't see how that is in any way detrimental to the club, in that longer term it will make us a much better and stronger team.

So you actually constitute the previous reign as a failure then? Despite only one previous reign having achieved more?

You also seem to be assuming that things will get better playing a supposedly better style of football. Tommy Burns and Brendan Rogers promised the same.

I put it to you that this team will achieve nothing playing the way we are. Above all else, team ethic is what will get Reading promoted and staying up. Passing style or direct, without that you're going nowhere. And we don't have that i'm afraid. I see a set of players with plenty of individual ability who are just not up for it under Adkins.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Dec 2013 13:43

RoyalBlue

Arnie_Pie
P!ssed Off Majority of people near me at the games seem to dislike him with a passion. One guy said to me "the guy is a complefe joke" yesterday. But maybe I just imagined this conversation.
Every substitution is met with total contempt for the manager.

That is because most Readings fans are utter idiots.

We certainly have a good number of footballing retards who seem to hanker after the old English style of football, which is the very reason our national team is so damn poor. Those that criticised the substitutions yesterday were shown to be idiots!

Yep, agree with this. Do people want us to regress to the 'give the opposition 65% possession and then hit then on the break' type football after we saw how dramatically outclassed we were last season? I don't understand that point of view tbh. If we were under threat of relegation then I could go along with the concept of abandoning long term progress for.short term results, but given our position in the table I can't get on board with it. We need to evolve a team that not only go up but also stay up. Weddon't have that team at the moment so what's the rush? Let's finish what we've started.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Dec 2013 14:05

winchester_royal Do people want us to regress to the 'give the opposition 65% possession and then hit then on the break' type football after we saw how dramatically outclassed we were last season?

We were only 'out classed' because we didn't have players good enough to bridge the huge gap to the Prem. Part of that McD is culpable for, largely TSI are culpable for that too.

The idea that you can only be successful in the top flight with >50% possession is a complete non-starter of a concept and a myth perpetuated by the OPTA generation who see things in numbers. I give you Stoke City under Pulis as the model for what Reading FC could have been with better investment in players and - to be fair - better team management.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Dec 2013 14:23

floyd__streete
winchester_royal Do people want us to regress to the 'give the opposition 65% possession and then hit then on the break' type football after we saw how dramatically outclassed we were last season?

We were only 'out classed' because we didn't have players good enough to bridge the huge gap to the Prem. Part of that McD is culpable for, largely TSI are culpable for that too.

The idea that you can only be successful in the top flight with >50% possession is a complete non-starter of a concept and a myth perpetuated by the OPTA generation who see things in numbers. I give you Stoke City under Pulis as the model for what Reading FC could have been with better investment in players and - to be fair - better team management.

Just playing devil's advocate for a minute though - If it wasn't for TSI we wouldn't have invested at all. We wouldn't have got Roberts & Kebe signed up & you can definitely make a strong case for those signings pushing us to the Prem.

It's very easy to point the finger about money not being available but neither SJM or TSI are willing to cough it up. Unsurprisingly there aren't loads of billionaires hanging around willing to throw their cash away on football teams.

I think Adkins will have to sell to buy in order to create the team he wants & we all have to hope that a few of our academy prospects come good - something that we would never have discussed 10 years ago. It is what it is & there are plenty of clubs worse off than us.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Dec 2013 14:24

floyd__streete

Yep, that's fair, all out possession football isn't a prerequisite for PL success, but Pulls always relied on experienced pros and Mr Coates' investment to assemble his squad of sizeable grafters. If our intention is to bring through youngsters and rely on the academy to contribute to the majority of our squad then I doubt that style will prove as effective for us.

I don't think myself or Adkins are advocating a Swansea like possession based philosophy of football, but we do need.to be capable of stringing together a sequence of passes that take the sting out of the opposition's pressure when they're on top, or gives us an element of control in the game. Sadly that will require the defenders being comfortable passing the ball occasionally. It works when those defenders are able to pick a pass further up the pitch that moves us into attack rather than aimlessly tapping it around the back. I think/hope that's what we're aiming for. We're not particularly close to that yet though, i'll admit..

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 Dec 2013 15:04

We're barely even attempting passing, possession football.
We're pissing about at the back and then hoofing it up field.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 22 Dec 2013 15:19

Personally I haven't been so dispirited since the shambles that was the Tommy Burns (RIP) era. There are many similarities to back then, with a manager sacked towards the end of a relegation season, a new and relatively high profile name taking over with what seemed like great ideas about taking the team forward, only for that optimism to evaoprate after a very short period of time against a background of underperformance.

Adkins won't be sacked under the present regime as they (AZ in particular) were responsible for appointing him and nobody wants be proved wrong at the end of the day. But for me it isn't working, and as JM more or less confirmed on BBCRB yesterday, the club are actively looking for "alternative investment". Can't come soon enough for me..

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 22 Dec 2013 15:23

floyd__streete As I say, the drama queenery here is someone having the temerity to say that Adkins is being undermined by anything to do with the previous regime.

What undermines Adkins is constant altering of the starting XI, dubious quality of signings made and questionable substitutions. Not to mention the fact he is an insincere, wannabe Estate Agent, psychobabble-squawking helmet.

Comparing out manager to an Estate Agent.

That's the second most crass thing I have ever seen in hobnob.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Dec 2013 15:42

Ouroboros Comparing out manager to an Estate Agent.

:lol:

Ok, some fair points made by Winch and Monster Munch there. Perhaps people will feel a bit less restless about the whole thing when the Russian shyster is finally out of the club.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 22 Dec 2013 15:52

Ouroboros Comparing out manager to an Estate Agent.

..... Indeed - get Micky Gooding back NOW! :lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Dec 2013 16:08

Stone the crows Spurs just beat Southampton playing 4-4-2 in the Premier League.

418 posts