Back From The Game - Bolton

359 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back From The Game - Bolton

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 Jan 2014 14:13

Don't care about liking the guy. Just don't agree with rewriting history because folk think he is a dick.

He was good. Sorry if that's upsetting for anybody but he was.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 22 Jan 2014 14:27

The Rouge Is it OK to not have a polarised view on Mills?

I regard him as a strong, dominant footballer who had a very good impact on the pitch during his time at Reading. Everton away and the play off semis and final were times when he lead the team with distinction. I taper this with.. the finger was ill-judged, he was often doing the wrong thing with the ball on the pitch, (from what I have heard) he was a disruptive influence in the dressing room (particularly re: Rodgers - who I wish we had given more time) and a bit ego-centric.

So pretty neutral. I never boo either.

Exactly this. He seemed a bit of a dick, disruptive within the squad and with a hugely inflated ego. There was the finger thing, the poor decision making on the pitch and some odd ways of 'leading by example' considering he was meant to be captain.

But there was the games mentioned above, as well as one of the games towards the end of that play off final season (I think, ironically, against Leicester) where he put in a display that I still class as one of the best individual performances I've seen at the Madejski Stadium. And his presence usually meant Emma Rigby would be in the stands too.

So pretty neutral too. Although I do think the whistling/booing did a decent job in disrupting him and the Bolton defence, and if that's the case then I'm all for that.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 Jan 2014 14:35

yeah was a decent player for us, and was occasionally brilliant

booing anyone(except a ref) is silly so i dont do it.
it did amuse me a little bit, cos i think mills is a bit of a nob

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 Jan 2014 14:44

melonhead yeah was a decent player for us, and was occasionally brilliant

I'd say booing the opposition is generally accepted.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Jan 2014 15:03

Bollocks is it. You should be encouraging them.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 Jan 2014 15:18

Extended-Phenotype

I'd say booing the opposition is generally accepted.

i guess, its just not something i engage in generally. i like booing linos and refs though.
unless there is some nasty challenges going in, then i may burst out into a bout of outrage.
it just seems a pretty ineffectual way of expressing your disaffection
the word just doesnt lend itself to anger imo.

ooooo is a comedy sound

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 22 Jan 2014 15:19

Mills was coached by the same one who taught Guthrie to hit long, cross ball passes.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Jan 2014 18:29

genome No, not really. He was just running towards goal and got pulled back, big deal.

Let's all applaud Matt Mills for the occasional moment of playing football then.

:|

Bloody hell.

Ok, would you say that one of Shane Long's 'strengths' as a player was his ability to induce contact in the penalty box when running at speeds, thus winning us as many penalties as he did?

Criticise Mills all you like, but you've got to admit that he was a handful in the opposing box.....unfortunately he was often a danger in and around our own area too 8)

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 22 Jan 2014 18:52

I like Mills, he was great for us. Left like a bit of a prick though and the panto booing is fine. I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 22 Jan 2014 18:55

St. Brynjar I like Mills, he was great for us. Left like a bit of a prick though and the panto booing is fine. I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

:shock: Did you see him Saturday?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Jan 2014 20:29

Tbf he still had a better game than Pearce

EarleyRoyal16

by EarleyRoyal16 » 22 Jan 2014 21:07

Pepe the Horseman Tbf he still had a better game than Pearce

+1. Pearce has been shocking lately, Mills obviously was on the side that conceded seven but he still looked a tad better than Pearce, not that that's difficult at the moment. Even though he's a complete oxf*rd. (Mills I mean)

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Jan 2014 21:17

Extended-Phenotype Don't care about liking the guy. Just don't agree with rewriting history because folk think he is a dick.

He was good. Sorry if that's upsetting for anybody but he was.

That is about as positive as it can get. Mills was/is a good player. Certainly not great. Certainly not in the Martin Hicks/Adie Williams/Ivar/Sonko/Upson mould.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Jan 2014 21:21

floyd__streete
genome No, not really. He was just running towards goal and got pulled back, big deal.

Let's all applaud Matt Mills for the occasional moment of playing football then.

:|

Bloody hell.

Ok, would you say that one of Shane Long's 'strengths' as a player was his ability to induce contact in the penalty box when running at speeds, thus winning us as many penalties as he did?

Criticise Mills all you like, but you've got to admit that he was a handful in the opposing box.....unfortunately he was often a danger in and around our own area too 8)

Think you'll find I've not criticised Mills once.

I just don't find winning a penalty a point of praise. Especially considering he was being manhandled before he even moved :!:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Jan 2014 21:42

Forgot to mention that years of uncultured hoofball have clearly turned some of our supporters into football retards.

2-0 up against Bolton, Pearce was being pressured by a forward and, facing his own goal, sensibly decided to pass a safe ball back to McCarthy. This prompted an idiot behind me to shout 'that's bloody negative'.
Cruising at 5-0, this same footballing aficionado decided to give Williams a load of stick for not staying on his f*cking feet when he slipped as he tried to challenge for the ball!

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 22 Jan 2014 22:33

floyd__streete
MmmMonsterMunch Well perhaps he should learn to fcuking pass then?! We've all groaned at plenty of misplaced passes over the last 2 seasons yet none of the current playing staff have seen fit to do that.........much as they might want to.

And it wasn't a couple either.... I think it was after the 5th or 6th time of doing it in the space of one half that the fans got fcuked off. :lol:

This is largely complete rubbish.

I remember the game in question, vs QPR March(ish) 2010. He had clearly been instructed by the Reading bench to ping diagonals towards Kebe, but as usual our hapless winger with a heart the size of a pea failed to either control the ball properly or make a decent attempt at an aerial challenge to win a ball which at times was 100% perfectly to his feet. Mills was clearly doing what he was instructed to do.

And the one time the move worked, it ended with us winning the penalty that won us the game. It's almost like the players/management knew what they were doing.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Jan 2014 22:57

There were definitely a few that went into Row Z........

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 23 Jan 2014 18:47

Really pleased for the players, NA and everyone at the club. Season ticket holders got a much needed and deserved treat today. Great for ALF to get his first hat trick for us, and I'm happy that Pog is playing well. Gorkss and Blackman are is proving people wrong. Also glad to see Akpan proving his potential and Williams back in form. Hopefully now this will give the boys confidence to go and put a win streak together!

Apparently Adkins said that the players actually did what they've been learning and doing on the training ground, during the game, and thats why we got such a good win. So I don't know where this "Adkins has adopted a more realistic approach" has come from.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 23 Jan 2014 23:01

far better than the booing was our 3rd goal. A pleasure to behold. A fantastic assist from Mills.

359 posts