McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

565 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

by Lower West » 28 May 2016 11:04

harry I'd prefer someone with a connection to the club rather than some random. Whoever it is needs to be given TIME

Identity of the club has died this month. With it all the values that brought success. Now it's results driven. Good results = money. That's all that counts.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 28 May 2016 11:05

Lower West
harry why appoint him in the first place.

Panic. Relegation would have devalued the Thai's investment even further.

Why appoint Brian Tevreden? Even less top level experience.

We'll only know over time if he's the right man for the job. Experience is a helpful guide but it isn't everything. A first-timer could be a success but is a bit of an unknown quantity.
I wouldn't get rid of Tevreden after 6 months either (usual caveats apply).

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 28 May 2016 11:06

This is from a Watts Q and A with an 'expert' on Dutch football where they discuss the likelihood of Stam coming to Reading.

Q: Finally, Do you know what sort of relationship he has with Brain Tevreden, the new sporting director at Reading?

A: I really don’t know. Personally I didn’t know that Brian Tevreden was working at Reading at all.

Doolittle

by Doolittle » 28 May 2016 11:21

Agree with everyone saying that Brian should have been given the chance to revamp the squad, and that the sacking was unfair.

But I think this decision has little to do with Brian's performance, and is much more to do with the owners getting fed up with following the wishes of the old guard, and wanting to assert their authority.

To be fair, why shouldn't they ? It's no good being nostalgic about the past. The fact is, those presiding over the Reading Way (whatever that is) had themselves made bad decisions that led to us running out of cash. So why should the new owners save the club, and then just stand politely back while the previous regime carry on calling the shots, and frankly making no discernible progress ?

What is crucial now, though, is that their next decisions are good ones. The stakes are very high.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 28 May 2016 11:53

We're disappointed - see our statement on STAR Forum, if you want.

One aspect which I'm not sure has been mentioned is how this will affect the returning loanees.

Dickie, Tanner, Samuel, Fosu, Stacey have all hopefully been making progress and we've got other youngsters - Tish, Kuhl, Moore, Keown, Barrett for instance - who are all at that delicate stage of breaking into (or not) the first team. The club / academy has spent a decade nurturing some of these lads under the watchful eyes of Hammond and McDermott. It would be a tragedy if a new management in a hurry took little care of them at this crucial stage.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 May 2016 12:07

Doolittle
But I think this decision has little to do with Brian's performance, and is much more to do with the owners getting fed up with following the wishes of the old guard, and wanting to assert their authority.

Highly unlikely. If you own a business. You'll run it your way. They'll have no understanding of Readings history (rise).

mambo3

by mambo3 » 28 May 2016 12:12

Lower West
RG7Fan
blueroyals
Selling your two top scorers within a week comes to mind

I agree, wont have helped at all. BUT their purple patches had finished a couple of months earlier. Why not recall Samuel in January, or any time after that.

How much div 1 football have you watched recently? Championship is a step up.

Is it? Preston north end, mk dons league 1 last season how did they do against us.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 28 May 2016 12:32

:lol: at all those losing their minds over this sacking, and all those crying that Reading FC has changed..

McD's done nothing to suggest that he's capable of taking this club forward, we've gotten worse on pretty much ALL fronts since his arrival. Not just the right decision, but a really good, positive decision too.

Season ticket renewed.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 May 2016 12:34

Rollerbob :lol: at all those losing their minds over this sacking, and all those crying that Reading FC has changed..

McD's done nothing to suggest that he's capable of taking this club forward, we've gotten worse on pretty much ALL fronts since his arrival. Not just the right decision, but a really good, positive decision too.

Season ticket renewed.

Would you be pleased if we replaced Brian with Pantic?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 May 2016 12:35

mambo3
Lower West
RG7Fan
I agree, wont have helped at all. BUT their purple patches had finished a couple of months earlier. Why not recall Samuel in January, or any time after that.

How much div 1 football have you watched recently? Championship is a step up.

Is it? Preston north end, mk dons league 1 last season how did they do against us.

Shows how poor we are against organised teams. (went to both these games away as well as home). Seen Wigan and Burton his year as well. Not as good as Bristol City were would be my assessment.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 28 May 2016 12:37

Top Flight Having slept on it. I still feel gutted. Stupidity at the top from the Thais.

This is the worst sacking of a manager in RFC history. Unfair, unjust and a totally incompetent decision.

I laughed for at least 5 minutes straight at this comment. Comedy genius. Adkins and Clarke were both harsher sackings. Hell, even Brian's 1st sacking (which was the right choice) was harsher than this one.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 28 May 2016 12:40

Pepe the Horseman
Rollerbob :lol: at all those losing their minds over this sacking, and all those crying that Reading FC has changed..

Season ticket renewed.

Don't think I'd be pleased, but I wouldn't be annoyed either - he's a total unknown quality.

I'd prefer Pantic than Brian however. If we kept Brian, I'm not convinced he has any pulling power in terms of getting quality players through the door, and I believe we'd have another depressing season just like the second half of 15/16.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 May 2016 12:49

Lower West
Longhorn1970
Lower West
Clarke was given plenty of money and that has all gone down the drain. That was a wake call for the owners.......

He had to cull top earners before he could sign McShane, Quinn and AAH on a free, how much you think he spent ? Then deduct sale of Blackman and Hector ..

Loan players wages must have been considerable. Vydra alone was £2.5 million.

Hurtado and Sa weren't cheap signings.

None of which would have brought unity to the camp. Vydra and Blackman showed no sign of bonding .

most of those loan players were on a -only pay their wages, if the don't play, from the parent clubs
and it still doesn't add up to what we brought in in sales

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 May 2016 12:59

Longhorn1970
RoyallyFcuked
Top Flight
I don't know what to say...

I'm gutted.

That rumour I heard can't have been true then. Glad to see that you are still about.

Cheer up pal, this may not be a bad move after all.

All will be forgotten when we're top at Christmas !

I'll take that bet.

ATM I'd want 10- to make the top six, and 100-1 to be top at Xmas.

I think the 106 may well be threatened next season, and not by us.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 May 2016 13:04

Norfolk Royal This is from a Watts Q and A with an 'expert' on Dutch football where they discuss the likelihood of Stam coming to Reading.

Q: Finally, Do you know what sort of relationship he has with Brain Tevreden, the new sporting director at Reading?

A: I really don’t know. Personally I didn’t know that Brian Tevreden was working at Reading at all.

whole Q&A a joke

so whats stam like as a manger-
I don't know, ive never seen him coaching or managing

:|

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 May 2016 13:05

One8Seven1* Top of the what, Pops? Next season has to be the least looked forward to season for me in 25 years. Newcastle and Villa will walk it with the money they have available and the squads they can keep together. We're all hoping for a play-off. The man wont have a hope in hell and if they demand promotion next season we'll be in this postition again within 9 months.

Hard to see past Newcastle, agreed. If it goes well early for them, I fancy them to break the 106 record.

Villa will have money, support. If they start well they could easily get automatic.

Norwich were a little unlucky to come down IMO and could well bounce back. Solid club.

Derby will easily be top six. Brighton too. If Hull miss out today, hard to see them not being top six.

If Wednesday miss out today I expect them to improve on this year. They are a growing club
that "ought to be" top flight.

There will be some very good clubs in 7-8-9-10 positions next season.

IMO we'd need to spend 15-20 million, have a great manager AND lots of luck just to make top five.

Maybe one team will "blow" (it happens) and eight clubs will squabble over six place

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 28 May 2016 13:07

Rollerbob
Pepe the Horseman

Season ticket renewed.

Don't think I'd be pleased, but I wouldn't be annoyed either - he's a total unknown quality.

I'd prefer Pantic than Brian however.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 28 May 2016 13:26

Season ticket renewed.

+1

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 May 2016 13:55

Top Flight Having slept on it. I still feel gutted. Stupidity at the top from the Thais.

This is the worst sacking of a manager in RFC history. Unfair, unjust and a totally incompetent decision.

No, the worst was the sacking of Maurice Evans when we were 3rd in the league.
As for Brian I don't get all the death of Lady Di type reaction on here.
He came back after being sacked previously for poor performances on the pitch.
Once again there are poor performances on the pitch and he hasn't managed to improve things.

There are obviously reasons why he failed both times but the buck stops with the manager.
A bad appointment this time around seemingly influenced by the old brigade at the club.
Time to move on and accept that ours is just like any other club-foreign owners with dubious intentions.
If you think Brian has been treated badly then spare a thought and a tear for Flores at Watford but please can we stop the "poor old Brian" stuff when no doubt he has had a decent financial settlement and he can go back out of the limelight to his scouting.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 May 2016 14:18

The problem Vic, is that the Thais track record is:

Sack a manager for poor performance who had been totally hamstrung by previous ownership and had started the season with a massive injury crisis.
Instantly appoint a manager whose only record was to take a well performing club into steady decline after a honeymoon period and then get sacked. A manager who looked to leave for richer pickings the absolute second there was something on offer and had no qualms about abandoning a project he'd committed to in its infancy.
Sack said manager when he courts another club and performances have dropped dramatically.
Employ a manager with previous success in the division and at the club based on the old guard's recommendation
Sack him after five months because things haven't gone very well.

Those are the actions of an ownership structure that doesn't know what it's doing and has no clear plan other than "get to Premier League now"

565 posts