STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

831 posts
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

by Sun Tzu » 22 Jan 2009 17:24

Archie's penalty
I think they would definitely replace him. And I would prefer Surman to Campbell-Ryce as he is English

C-R was born in Lambeth - he's as English as any one !!

He happens to qualify for Jamaica in football terms....

Surman was born in South Africa and could well chose to play for them in the future....

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Jan 2009 17:25

Sun Tzu
Archie's penalty
I think they would definitely replace him. And I would prefer Surman to Campbell-Ryce as he is English

C-R was born in Lambeth - he's as English as any one !!

He happens to qualify for Jamaica in football terms....

Surman was born in South Africa and could well chose to play for them in the future....

ALOL :lol:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 22 Jan 2009 17:30

Ok Lol at me for that one.

linked_201

by linked_201 » 22 Jan 2009 18:14

Alan Partridge wrote:
Tony Le Mesmer wrote:
rg6royal wrote:
If he wants to go then he can go. £5m in the kitty would be nice.

Why? Its not like we need the money.

Ive said it before and i'll say it again. Shunt goes and kiss goodbye to automatic promotion.

Well that depends who they replace him with. I know people look to Hunt's assists and Kebe's assists as stats to say look how good they are. In reality Reading's play is wing focused. We rarely go through the middle so you'd hope the wingers would get a substantial amount of crosses in. We would certainly miss Hunt's delivery from set pieces, free kicks and corners swirling in have been a major weapon this season, but as a footballer the guy is seriously limited. For £5million we could replace Stephen Hunt. The one player Reading couldn't replace is their number 9, everyone else in the team could be replaced.

agreed. but the departure of hunt could hypothetically see us in that position. when lacking wingers in the past doyle has been known to be played out wide (last season, hunt spent some time on the right and doyle was on the left, i believe?) as he is more than able. but how would that change the teams dynamic? although id like to see it, i cant imagine coppell playing three across the middle and kebe and doyle as wing forwards. or sticking with a 4-4-2; would that see the unknown nhunt lita partnership come in for the important wolves match? and, gee whizz, what would happen if shanelong started?! :wink: im coming over all faint, where's my inhaler...

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 22 Jan 2009 18:30

Stephen Hunt is quite the enigma for reading this season,his attributes for RFC are clearly defined in his willingness to compete and his set pieces from deadball situations.If i was to be honest though i would have to say that i have to be greedy in his present situation: having Hunt for the remainder of this promotion campaign is a massive plus to our chances,though after that i would not be overly dissapointed if he flew the nest whatever the outcome.He is a talented guy but for me personally he isnt my kind of winger,for all his hustle and bustle his end product on the ball clearly falls a little short when he runs at defenders as he doesnt regularily beat his man with pace/skill and get behind the defence to deliver that telling cross.To me that is what a winger is judged on-end product and whilst you could argue that on dead ball situations this occurs, in open play there are limitations to his game.Dont get me wrong i like to see drive and determination but Hunt's style of play is more akin to the centre of the park or wing/full backs where these sorts of attributes do matter.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Jan 2009 20:10

holsgrove breaks a leg Stephen Hunt is quite the enigma for reading this season,his attributes for RFC are clearly defined in his willingness to compete and his set pieces from deadball situations.If i was to be honest though i would have to say that i have to be greedy in his present situation: having Hunt for the remainder of this promotion campaign is a massive plus to our chances,though after that i would not be overly dissapointed if he flew the nest whatever the outcome.He is a talented guy but for me personally he isnt my kind of winger,for all his hustle and bustle his end product on the ball clearly falls a little short when he runs at defenders as he doesnt regularily beat his man with pace/skill and get behind the defence to deliver that telling cross.To me that is what a winger is judged on-end product and whilst you could argue that on dead ball situations this occurs, in open play there are limitations to his game.Dont get me wrong i like to see drive and determination but Hunt's style of play is more akin to the centre of the park or wing/full backs where these sorts of attributes do matter.

Agree with everything apart from the bold bit. I dont recall David Beckham being too clever at skinning full backs. I just wish the speculation would finish and he goes.

IIRC, our old friend Andrew Johnson did the decent thing at paLOLarse the season after they were relegated. He did everything he could to get them back and kept his mouth shut. Season ended and he left - with good grace - to Everton. Something shunt could learn from.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 22 Jan 2009 21:18

Wigan boss Steve Bruce plans to reinvest £5m of the £14m fee received for Wilson Palacios in signing Reading's Stephen Hunt. (Daily Mirror)

The rumour mill rumbles on and on and on and.............where's he gone! :roll:

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 22 Jan 2009 21:32

MR. CYNICAL After another shocker by him yesterday,wondered if it was time to cash in.
Can be a liability at times and probably getting too big for his boots.

The team will mis him if he goes, we all will.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 22 Jan 2009 21:50

I think Stephen Hunt is the best winger ever to play for Reading, and think that our promotion chances are totally down to his efforts. H eis like Glen Little but doesn't spend his wjole career on the subs bench. He is like Phil Parkinson, but Premiership not Endlsleigh league quality.

If he read the rubbish that moaning premiership fans of this club have written about him, then I would not blame him for leaving the club

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 22 Jan 2009 22:24

Jack Celliers I think Stephen Hunt is the best winger ever to play for Reading, and think that our promotion chances are totally down to his efforts. H eis like Glen Little but doesn't spend his wjole career on the subs bench. He is like Phil Parkinson, but Premiership not Endlsleigh league quality.

If he read the rubbish that moaning premiership fans of this club have written about him, then I would not blame him for leaving the club

ALOL :lol:

As if he'd waste his time reading about what fans think about him :roll:
I doubt that'd have a big impact on whether he left or not!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Jan 2009 22:45

Alan Partridge
We would certainly miss Hunt's delivery from set pieces, free kicks and corners swirling in have been a major weapon this season, but as a footballer the guy is seriously limited.

In which case, what exactly are Hunts weaknesses as a winger?

He's supposed to provide a quality supply of deliveries from which our forwards can pose a serious goal threat and, hopefully, chip in with a few goals of his own.

Current stats show that he has achieved the former to greater effect than any other player, in any position throughout the entire division. With 5? goals to add to this impressive performance, this even puts him ahead of Glen Little in 05/06.

Defensively, Hunt was deemed worth a go at left back when "Sulk a lot" Shorey finally got his move and if this was far from a great success, he's certainly better than most wingers in this respect.

Whatever Hunt's shortcomings as a player, he's probably the best left winger outside the Prem having enjoyed a fair amount of success when he played there...................which is why others know he's worth at least the release fee in his contract to a lesser top flight club, such as Wigan, with limited resources.

Like Sidwell before him, he's replaceable but it's high time some of our fans removed their blinkers and realised those stats mean that Hunt has been a major factor in this seasons success and it would be much better for us (and him, too, IMHO) if he stuck around until May before deciding where his future lies.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 23 Jan 2009 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 22 Jan 2009 23:30

Woodcote Royal
Alan Partridge
We would certainly miss Hunt's delivery from set pieces, free kicks and corners swirling in have been a major weapon this season, but as a footballer the guy is seriously limited.

In which case, what exactly are Hunts weaknesses as a winger?

He's supposed to provide quality supply of deliveries from which our forwards can pose a serious goal threat and, hopefully, chip in with a few goals of his own.

Like Sidwell before him, he's replaceable but it's high time some of our fans removed their blinkers and realised those stats mean that Hunt has been major factor in this seasons success and it would be much better for us (and him, too, IMHO) if he struck around until May before deciding where his future lies.

Hear oxf*rd hear. Fantastic post, please Hunt, DO NOT GO!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 22 Jan 2009 23:36

Woodcote Royal if he struck around until May before deciding where his future lies.

Great post but I hope he doesn't strike around here until May.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 Jan 2009 23:57

I say get surman and jamal peas and ryce in!!! both still under £5mill

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 23 Jan 2009 09:20

Btreaking News on SSN - Wigan agree £5m fee.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Jan 2009 09:27

Woodcote Royal He's supposed to provide a quality supply of deliveries from which our forwards can pose a serious goal threat and, hopefully, chip in with a few goals of his own.

Current stats show that he has achieved the former to greater effect than any other player, in any position throughout the entire division. With 5? goals to add to this impressive performance, this even puts him ahead of Glen Little in 05/06.

Anyone know how many of those assists are from set pieces?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Jan 2009 09:28

EASTENDER MARKY Btreaking News on SSN - Wigan agree £5m fee.
More fool him then. Had to be on the cards to be honest, esp since signing Tabb I thought someone would be off.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Jan 2009 09:30

EASTENDER MARKY Btreaking News on SSN - Wigan agree £5m fee.

Fair enough.
Good move for him, very good price for us...if it happens.

That's football.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 23 Jan 2009 09:34

Right, oxf*rd off then Steve, let's get someone else in sharpish. Thanks for some great work, Hunty, but like you we've got ambitions and need to move on now. So long, and thanks for all the assists.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Jan 2009 09:39

Disappointed if he goes. We will notice his absence - the low involvement of Armstrong in particular going forward has been noted elsewhere. Either Tabb will have to step up right away, or we need to sign another winger. Can't see Coppell spending anything, tbh, so it's on Jay's shoulders.

831 posts