NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Bikey signs for Burnley

382 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Bikey to Burnley fee agreed

by brendywendy » 18 Aug 2009 11:55

If this wasn't the case, players like Harper would have started on both Saturday's rather than just on Tuesday.

injured/coming back from injury/thought of as very likely to be gone in two weeks?
& how does ingi being made club captain fit with your"observations"

As AP says above, Coppell ultimately didn't trust the products of our academy and this is why all this young talent appears to be coming out of the woodwork at the moment.

he trusted the ones he thought good enough to get a good half a season of 1st team, high level football, and trusted the rest to get that experience at lower levels in order that they could be trusted at a later date.

while trying to get back up at the 1st attempt-he was probably right-judging by current performance levels that they probably werent all to be trusted just yet, especially a year earlier in their developement

coming out of the woodwork? you may not have been aware of them, but i certainly was.theyve been highly talked about and thought of for a while.
Last edited by brendywendy on 18 Aug 2009 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Archies Volley II

by Archies Volley II » 18 Aug 2009 11:57

Ian Royal We'll see over the next 3 or 4 games when the likes of Mills, Marek, Hunt and Harper will be fully fit and ready to play.

It's one thing playing Burton in the cup - that may as well have just been a preseason game. It's another thing to play Forest, or Newcastle or Swansea in the league.

Exactly,

Mills and Hunt will definitely (in my opinion!) be starting in a few games time, once BR considers them up to speed (for wont of a better phrase). Assuming they are still here at least one of Marek and Harper will also be first choice as well.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Aug 2009 12:00

Vision In some respects our plan has never changed. With the possible exception of Pardew in the 3rd tier we've rarely bought "proven" and on the occasions we have, they've quite often disappointed.

We make proven players we don't buy them. The only major difference now is that we're focusing more on trying to find the next Bikey,Sonko, Sidwell, Doyle & Kitson from within rather than scouring the lower leagues, Ireland or the far flung corners of the World.

As with all plans and strategies that require a fairly tight budget, there are flaws and mistakes are likely to be made along the way but I'm looking foward to seeing how we go. Again I know its just my personal opinion but getting to the top tier was much much more entertaining & satisfying than actually being there.

I'm looking forward to what the next 3 seasons will bring. Good and Bad.

Isn't Mills proven?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Aug 2009 12:01

for doncaster?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Aug 2009 12:03

brendywendy for doncaster?

Remember what level we are now at-yes,he is proven.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Aug 2009 12:04

How many teams have been promoted because of their youth team? I doubt there is more than one or two teams who have gone up with a team made of young graduates, if any.

It's one of those theories that never really works out. Are our young players really that good? Why are they at Reading then? They are decent players, who with time and good coaching will develop and one or two may become established Prem players. I think our expectations are far too high of them, the weekend showed how far off they are. They need help. It's not being negative, it's the truth, of course we're allowed to go over board about them, that's what happens, we've been waiting so long for someone to actually make it from the Academy and not end up with the likes of Castle, Cambell and Rifat. You won't get anywhere with kids on their own.

Rodger's seems to understand that too, he will spend money, he will try and add too this squad, he knows the kids will strugle this season on there own. We now spend £$m on 3 players, including wages the squad starts to look strong at the moment. Most importantly thanks to Hammond we've not got to worry about doing a Leeds or any of the other badly run clubs people bang on about.

We're at a crossroads now, we have a base, it needs building on. It's exciting times, I just hope we move quickly. I wouldn't mind seeing Rosenior go as well to be honest and doubt anyone at the club thinks different. Didn't Hull sell Rickets to Bolton, come on Tango you now it makes sense, a winger who can't cross and a full back who can't pass a football 2 yards, what more can you want. Keeping Harper is the key for me, this team should be built round him, should being the key word.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Aug 2009 12:07

brendywendy
If this wasn't the case, players like Harper would have started on both Saturday's rather than just on Tuesday.

injured/coming back from injury/thought of as very likely to be gone in two weeks?

As AP says above, Coppell ultimately didn't trust the products of our academy and this is why all this young talent appears to be coming out of the woodwork at the moment.

he trusted the ones he thought good enough to get a good half a season of 1st team, high level football, and trusted the rest to get that experience at lower levels in order that they could be trusted at a later date.

while trying to get back up at the 1st attempt-he was probably right-judging by current performance levels that they probably werent all to be trusted just yet, especially a year earlier in their developement

coming out of the woodwork? you may not have been aware of them, but i certainly was.theyve been highly talked about and thought of for a while.

Still in that Coppell bubble I see, Brendy.

So Brendan Rodgers tells everyone that fitness was not an issue in Harper not going to Wolves so far yet, apparently, it was with him not starting both league games despite both BR and Dean Austin never suggesting this was the case and Bignall being the only player deemed not fit to complete the cup game.

Delusion to this degree may require medical intervention.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2009 12:10

Woodcote Royal So Brendan Rodgers tells everyone that fitness was not an issue in Harper not going to Wolves so far yet, apparently, it was with him not starting both league games despite both BR and Dean Austin never suggesting this was the case and Bignall being the only player deemed not fit to complete the cup game.

Massive difference between passing a medical and being match fit for a league game.

Harper played about an hour of pre-season in the end didn't he? That's not enough build for high intensity league football.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Aug 2009 12:13

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe How many teams have been promoted because of their youth team? I doubt there is more than one or two teams who have gone up with a team made of young graduates, if any.

It's one of those theories that never really works out. Are our young players really that good? Why are they at Reading then? They are decent players, who with time and good coaching will develop and one or two may become established Prem players. I think our expectations are far too high of them, the weekend showed how far off they are. They need help. It's not being negative, it's the truth, of course we're allowed to go over board about them, that's what happens, we've been waiting so long for someone to actually make it from the Academy and not end up with the likes of Castle, Cambell and Rifat. You won't get anywhere with kids on their own.

Rodger's seems to understand that too, he will spend money, he will try and add too this squad, he knows the kids will strugle this season on there own. We now spend £$m on 3 players, including wages the squad starts to look strong at the moment. Most importantly thanks to Hammond we've not got to worry about doing a Leeds or any of the other badly run clubs people bang on about.

We're at a crossroads now, we have a base, it needs building on. It's exciting times, I just hope we move quickly. I wouldn't mind seeing Rosenior go as well to be honest and doubt anyone at the club thinks different. Didn't Hull sell Rickets to Bolton, come on Tango you now it makes sense, a winger who can't cross and a full back who can't pass a football 2 yards, what more can you want. Keeping Harper is the key for me, this team should be built round him, should being the key word.

Karacan & Pearce are no longer youth team, the others are making the transition. We'll not get promoted this season, that was always unlikely. Once some of them kick on we may make it next season, after replacing the ones that don't

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Aug 2009 12:18

Victor Meldrew
Vision In some respects our plan has never changed. With the possible exception of Pardew in the 3rd tier we've rarely bought "proven" and on the occasions we have, they've quite often disappointed.

We make proven players we don't buy them. The only major difference now is that we're focusing more on trying to find the next Bikey,Sonko, Sidwell, Doyle & Kitson from within rather than scouring the lower leagues, Ireland or the far flung corners of the World.

As with all plans and strategies that require a fairly tight budget, there are flaws and mistakes are likely to be made along the way but I'm looking foward to seeing how we go. Again I know its just my personal opinion but getting to the top tier was much much more entertaining & satisfying than actually being there.

I'm looking forward to what the next 3 seasons will bring. Good and Bad.

Isn't Mills proven?

Not proven for a top-end Championship team which is the ultimate goal in this plan but most certainly bought in as an instant 1st team player.

I guess hats the other deviation from the past. The point about developing our own is that those few signings we do make are bought as 1st team material rather than players to come in , take their time to bed down and settle and then challenge. Same will apply with Smith. Fewer (squad) signings but the odd player or 2 that in theory should come in and bolster the first team although in most cases we'll still be looking at players with the potential to improve on the pitch and in financial terms.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Aug 2009 12:22

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Are our young players really that good? Why are they at Reading then? They are decent players, who with time and good coaching will develop and one or two may become established Prem players. I think our expectations are far too high of them, the weekend showed how far off they are.

Having performed no worse than Coppell's under achieving favorites in the same fixture 2 years ago, I can't believe any informed opinion could arrive at anything other than the opposite conclusion :|

Had they not been "that good" at such a young age they would have been buried by a side which still belongs in the top flight.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Aug 2009 12:28

Woodcote Royal
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Are our young players really that good? Why are they at Reading then? They are decent players, who with time and good coaching will develop and one or two may become established Prem players. I think our expectations are far too high of them, the weekend showed how far off they are.

Having performed no worse than Coppell's under achieving favorites in the same fixture 2 years ago, I can't believe any informed opinion could arrive at anything other than the opposite conclusion :|

Had they not been "that good" at such a young age they would have been buried by a side which still belongs in the top flight.

A few more games like Saturday and they will be strugling to pick themselves up. Doesn't need much, just 3 - 4 new players, with experience and quality.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Aug 2009 12:31

Woodcote Royal
brendywendy

Still in that Coppell bubble I see, Brendy.

So Brendan Rodgers tells everyone that fitness was not an issue in Harper not going to Wolves so far yet, apparently, it was with him not starting both league games despite both BR and Dean Austin never suggesting this was the case and Bignall being the only player deemed not fit to complete the cup game.

you pompous arse

fit as in not injured, does not mean fit to play 90 mins a week of prem football...........:roll:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Aug 2009 12:32

Woodcote Royal

One thing you have omitted Woodcote this is a Newcastle that has just sold 10 players (yes even more than us) so any comparison is flawed.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Aug 2009 12:33

well if weve lost all our best players, and so have they, surely that makes the comparison pretty valid

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Aug 2009 12:35

brendywendy well if weve lost all our best players, and so have they, surely that makes the comparison pretty valid

No because in Woodcote's world we have sold dead wood and now the better players will be picked at last.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Aug 2009 12:38

aaahhhhh

of course

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Aug 2009 12:43

Hoop Blah
Woodcote Royal So Brendan Rodgers tells everyone that fitness was not an issue in Harper not going to Wolves so far yet, apparently, it was with him not starting both league games despite both BR and Dean Austin never suggesting this was the case and Bignall being the only player deemed not fit to complete the cup game.

Massive difference between passing a medical and being match fit for a league game.

Harper played about an hour of pre-season in the end didn't he? That's not enough build for high intensity league football.

Yet it was enough for him play the full 90 in a cup game with not a hint from any of the management to suggest he's not ready to play a full game in the league.

In fact, Dean Austin went as far as to say after Tuesday night that it was a chance for those who didn't make the league side to impress. He never went on to say " and it was nice to see Harps get as full a 90 on his way back to fitness"

Not one report suggested that Harper struggled with his fitness in the cup game...........................if Rodger's had wanted him to start at Newcastle he was clearly fit enough to play and could always have been replaced after an hour like Bignall was on Tuesday.

This is all a figment of the imagination from those who should know better without a shread of evidence to support it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Harper start tonight in place of Tabb but surely the way we seem quite prepared to allow him to become yet another experienced departure is yet more evidence that BR has been quite happy leaving him on the bench

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2009 12:44

Ian Royal Karacan & Pearce are no longer youth team, the others are making the transition. We'll not get promoted this season, that was always unlikely. Once some of them kick on we may make it next season, after replacing the ones that don't

None of them are 'youth team' any more as such.

They've all been playing senior (non) league football for the past two season and are fully feldged professionals even if they've only been squad players here at Reading. Now is their time to step and prove their worth.

The only one you could still say is a youth team player is Bignall, but he's played 20 senior games.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2009 12:51

Woodcote Royal
Hoop Blah

Yet it was enough for him play the full 90 in a cup game with not a hint from any of the management to suggest he's not ready to play a full game in the league.

In fact, Dean Austin went as far as to say after Tuesday night that it was a chance for those who didn't make the league side to impress. He never went on to say " and it was nice to see Harps get as full a 90 on his way back to fitness"

Not one report suggested that Harper struggled with his fitness in the cup game...........................if Rodger's had wanted him to start at Newcastle he was clearly fit enough to play and could always have been replaced after an hour like Bignall was on Tuesday.

This is all a figment of the imagination from those who should know better without a shread of evidence to support it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Harper start tonight in place of Tabb but surely the way we seem quite prepared to allow him to become yet another experienced departure is yet more evidence that BR has been quite happy leaving him on the bench

I think Harper is probably close to match fitness after the run out against Burton, but that doesn't mean he was fit and ready for the Forest game.

Did Matejovsky play the full 90 agains Burton? Yes he did.

Was there any mention of him not being fit or any sign from the management that he wasn't 100% and needed to be withdrawn because of it? Not that I've seen.

He still isn't fit to play in the league tonight though!

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1758124,00.html

Brendan Rodgers Marek is not 100%, he's fighting for his condition and is a wee bit of time away. He's working well but not 100%, and Noel is the same, he's getting bits of games here and there but is not fully ready.

By the sounds of that Harper is probably now fit. Has he done enough to win his place or those with the shirt done enough to be dropped yet? Probably not, although if I were picking the side he'd be back in if fit.

382 posts