Gylfi is leaving Reading

1419 posts
LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Gylfi is leaving Reading

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Aug 2010 13:25

Sir Rodger Doyle
LoyalRoyal22 Words cant describe how angry i am with the club right now.

He said, clearly using words.

yeh but like i said, those words dont desbribe how angry i am.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 30 Aug 2010 13:26

I think BM will resign now.

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 30 Aug 2010 13:27

Plymouth_Royal Easily the most technically gifted player I've seen in a Reading shirt and but I'm more pissed off at the timing of this. We choose to sell now with less than a day left of the transfer window with not much time to get a much needed goal scorer.
On the plus side I can see us switching back to 4-4-2 now and on top of that Taylor may actually get the chance to show us why he is so highly rated in his actual natural position up front!

agreed

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Aug 2010 13:27

Plymouth_Royal Easily the most technically gifted player I've seen in a Reading shirt and but I'm more pissed off at the timing of this. We choose to sell now with less than a day left of the transfer window with not much time to get a much needed goal scorer.
On the plus side I can see us switching back to 4-4-2 now and on top of that Taylor may actually get the chance to show us why he is so highly rated in his actual natural position up front!

Taylor's natural position is AMC - Gylfi's position HTH

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Aug 2010 13:27

£4.25 mill is a joke. He is worth at least 5 times that amount. It really makes my blood boil! But never mind, th well run middle class, family club will still show the determination and ambition to be successful. Who will be next to leave? Kebe? Mills? McAnuff?

When I get back to work tomorrow I am going to stick £20 on Reading to be relegated.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 30 Aug 2010 13:27

Gordons Cumming I think BM will resign now.

Well there's no gossip to that effect at the Training Ground at present ( :oops: )

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 30 Aug 2010 13:27

Tottenham were resoundly booed after their 1 nil home defeat to Wigan on Saturday.

That kind of fan behaviour is the same kind of thing as demanding we all turn up at Madesjki Stadium with pitch forks.

Like those Tottenham fans, most on here don't really seem to know how good things are for us right now.

We are a competetive Championship side who will win some/lose some, just like all the other teams in this league and have had two glory seasons in the Prem.

I know that's not enough for most people on here but I'd have given my right arm to be the kind of club we are right now in our darkest days at Elm Park.

Humility isn't really a footie fan's biggest asset though and I guess it never will be.

Cue the RTG slating...............................

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 30 Aug 2010 13:28

strap

Well there's no gossip to that effect at the Training Ground at present ( :oops: )

Give it time, give it time.......................

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 30 Aug 2010 13:28

Think everyone seems to be over-reacting a fair bit to this :/

I might well be in the minority but whilst I think the Sig is a good player with plenty of potential I didn't think his overall play was that superb, several times he's had quiet games and he's also been guilty of missing chances at key times over the last year. To get £3-5 million for a Championship player with 1 season of tier 2 experience behind him represents good value for money right now and lets face it no matter his love for the club if we finish 10th this year he's off to Bolton/Fulham in the summer anyway.

If you look at the decision on it's own then yes it seems heartbreaking and an injustice to the fans. Gylfi was an easy guy to love and scored some great goals and was a player who had come through the ranks to play for a club he cared for. However, I'm personally going to wait and see how/if the money is spent and how this affects the way theteam plays before I totally rip into those at the top. After all I seem to remember 10 years ago we had another midfielder who was player of the season and scored 20 goals and replacing him didn't do any harm.....

It's a disappointing day to be a Reading fan but at least he's going to a top European side for a good fee and has left on good terms. Good luck Gylfi and hope you can come back one day.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Aug 2010 13:28

Crikey - that's seriously miffed - bet you're virtually shaking.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Aug 2010 13:29

Sorry SKB. We are NOT a COMPETITIVE Championship side. The rest of your post is sensible.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 30 Aug 2010 13:30

I am e-shaking with rage

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 30 Aug 2010 13:30

Like many others, I struggle to think of a better young player coming through at Reading, ever. Neil Webb maybe, as some have said. But Sig could be better. I hoped we'd have him for another season, but let's face it he was always going to go to bigger and better things. And one player is never bigger than the club. Sig is very good, potentially great, but one player does not make a team and he doesn't win games on his own. He has his quiet days. Only a year ago, many of us would have moaned about the loss of better known players, and we had no idea the impact Sig would have.

So good luck to him if he goes. I'll have fond memories of some wonderful moments last season, and that delicate beautiful goal at Leicester. But new doors may open and we have to give the club a chance to show there's a plan. The abuse against Madejski on here is just laughable, unless anyone else has some spare millions they are prepared to stuff into the players' pockets.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 30 Aug 2010 13:31

Before Rodgers resigned, BM wasn't within a million miles of being a manager of a league club at ANY level. He is now the manager of an established Championship side - there is no possibility of him walking away from that and back to total anonymity.

I do have some sympathy with him though, he worked a miracle last year and has now had the rug pulled out from under him this year.

I would, however, expect any player who gets approached to leave though, what the point in staying at a club with no ambition?

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 30 Aug 2010 13:34

Schards#2

Before Rodgers resigned, BM wasn't within a million miles of being a manager of a league club at ANY level. He is now the manager of an established Championship side - there is no possibility of him walking away from that and back to total anonymity.

I do have some sympathy with him though, he worked a miracle last year and has now had the rug pulled out from under him this year.

I would, however, expect any player who gets approached to leave though, what the point in staying at a club with no ambition?

Define ambition.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 30 Aug 2010 13:34

Super Kevin Bremner! Tottenham were resoundly booed after their 1 nil home defeat to Wigan on Saturday.

That kind of fan behaviour is the same kind of thing as demanding we all turn up at Madesjki Stadium with pitch forks.

Like those Tottenham fans, most on here don't really seem to know how good things are for us right now.

We are a competetive Championship side who will win some/lose some, just like all the other teams in this league and have had two glory seasons in the Prem.

I know that's not enough for most people on here but I'd have given my right arm to be the kind of club we are right now in our darkest days at Elm Park.

Humility isn't really a footie fan's biggest asset though and I guess it never will be.

Cue the RTG slating...............................

Spot on!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 30 Aug 2010 13:34

Super Kevin Bremner!
Schards#2

Define ambition.

Striving to improve oneself

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Aug 2010 13:35

99% of all players ever to have played for Reading are no longer playing for Reading.

Reading FC still functions, has a great stadium and is currently mid-table in the second tier of English football.

What is all this hand-wring about?
We all "KNEW" Gylfi would go, either Monday/Tuesday or in the January window.
Sensible fans knew we had about a 1% chance that he would play for us next season, unless we got lucky with a loan-back.

EXCLUDING, for a minute, any other possible transfers out, all that matters here is

(a) What we get for Gylfi, if he's sold now.

(b) How much the manager is allowed to use from that amount

(a) If we only got £500,000, of course that would be ridiculous. It would be ridiculous to expect £20,000,000 also.

So, point one, it's about the money, how much is a good deal for Reading NOW?

IMO we'd need £4M, anything less would, overall, be a poor deal (but are we renowned for getting lousy sales-deals?)

If we got £5,000,000+ (and possibly a sell-on clause) THAT IS GOOD MONEY

IF IF IF We get 4-5-6 Million and the manager is still not allowed to get a quality CB (eg Kish)
and/or a dominant captain-style leader-midfielder, and/or a proven goal-scorer, then we have
something REAL to complain about.

But frankly, if we get a quality CB and someone of the ilk of Tommy Smith, and had 3-4 million in the bank, I DON'T think the team will be weaker.

At the moment we are having to play 4-5-1 to accommodate Gylfi and we are in danger of becoming a one-man team.

That's all your eggs in one basket, stuff. We can survive Gylfi moving on.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 30 Aug 2010 13:35

Schards#2

My tongue was slightly in my cheek, but he must be feeling very frustrated at the moment.

You could sense this from his occasional comments last week. If he can't use the money for Sig, where is it going?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 30 Aug 2010 13:37

strap Never know, a bidding war may develop, much to Mr Mad's liking no doubt. Feel very very flat just now.

If there's a release clause, then we have to accept any bids at or over that value. So any bidding war would be over the personal terms offered to Glyfi, not the fee that we receive.

1419 posts