Coppell's latest backtrack

470 posts
Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell's latest backtrack

by Volvicanus » 03 Feb 2008 15:29

Just my two cents but I don't think Coppell would ever shout such a thing from the rooftops. He would't say a word about it in a million years IMO.

wichygbloke

by wichygbloke » 03 Feb 2008 16:20

I'll always support RFC - Just have I have done for the last 30 yrs and I will always respect SC for where he has taken us and with what. But the questions I have to ask and don't understand is:

1) Why does SC on one hand say that there are too many foriegners in todays game then go and buy all the overseas TAT that he can find on the market?

2)Why does he feel the need to be a breeding ground for novice PL players or saying that 'He has potential and he [color=#8040FF]needs time to adjust to the the PL' [/color]-

Bugger me..are we an academy for the rest of the PL??

rfc58

by rfc58 » 03 Feb 2008 16:35

Volvicanus Just my two cents but I don't think Coppell would ever shout such a thing from the rooftops. He would't say a word about it in a million years IMO.

I agree, he is too professional to bad mouth his chairman. Not sure how many on here know this, but some of the players have a clause that basically means if/when a new players signs a contract, if he becomes the highest paid player at the club, they automatically get the same. Hence why we can agree terms with clubs for players but we can't attract them here, as the tight fisted one will not sanction the "going rate" in wages, as he knows it will cost him a "fortune".

When you can only offer say 15K a week, don't be surprised if a CCC calibre of player is all you can attract.

JM, we are reaping what we have sewn thanks to you, you have failed to re-invest part of the current riches the club is enjoying through full houses and television dosh, and if/when we go down, you will soon realise your "business ethic" for the club isn't working.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Feb 2008 16:49

rfc58 I agree, he is too professional to bad mouth his chairman. Not sure how many on here know this, but some of the players have a clause that basically means if/when a new players signs a contract, if he becomes the highest paid player at the club, they automatically get the same.

I don't believe thats the case for a second!

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 03 Feb 2008 16:55

Platypuss
Royal & Ancient Dodger is back - albeit likely to be censored out again as some of his rhetoric makes uncomfortable reading for the Executive.

Oh please. :lol:

SDR started a brand new ego-stroking thread covering the same old ground and it was merged with another similar thread (plenty to choose from). He then threw his teddies out of the pram and went on to post his whinging complaint about censorship onto about 20 other threads - including the very one his thread had been merged into. :roll:

And another hearty LOL at thinking that the mods censor negative posts.

I know you don't need any urging, but stick to your guns Mods.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 03 Feb 2008 17:00

Southbank Old Boy
rfc58 I agree, he is too professional to bad mouth his chairman. Not sure how many on here know this, but some of the players have a clause that basically means if/when a new players signs a contract, if he becomes the highest paid player at the club, they automatically get the same.

Not sure what you disagree with, the bit about Coppell is based on my opinion, but the bit about wages is a fact my friend.

My best mate does work for Hunt, Doyle, Kitson and Shorey, and without saying too much, that came from the "horses mouth.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Feb 2008 17:09

So, if Hunt is now getting £25k a week, so are the rest of the players? I know when Sonko signed he was said to be the highest earner, and not all the players got the same as him. You're talking rubbish if you don't mind me saying.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Feb 2008 17:09

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Southbank Old Boy
Coppelled Streets So are we blaming the manager here, or pointing a finger at a chairman who's raking it in and quite possibly not offering enough money to Coppell to get the players he actually wants?

I don't want to blame anyone, but I certainly wont hold Coppell responsible. He can only work with the tools he's given!

So you won't blame the man who buys and selects the players in his squad even is he is given the funds to bring in additional players?

That makes no sense at all.

I don't know where the problem lies, but if it's Coppell's decision to not add to his squad then it is his responsibility.

Coppell has said time and time again that we compete financially. If Coppell could blame JM for this mess he'd be shouting it from the roof tops. He's been in this game far too long, he's not gonna take the fall for someone like JM, he just wouldn't do it. I'm sure there is a budget he has to work in, but if that was stopping him buying players he really wanted, then he'd be saying that.

Come off it, he is not that type. He won't moan about his boss whilst he is still in the job.

Madejski isn't prepared to put the money in that is required to keep us in the PL (he as good as said so in his interview with The Director magazine). So he either has to sacrifice some of his massive ego and let someone else come on board alongside him to help out or actively look to sell the club at a realistic price and without restraints such as his name must remain on the stadium for X years after he has left.

BTW when has Coppell said we can compete financially. He may have said he has money available to him but I dodn't believe he has said that means we can compete financially, indeed I believe he has dropped a good many hints that we can't. Do you really thing he would resist paying his existing players far better salaries, thus enabling him more choice over incoming players, if he was allowed to?

The alternative is that his name will remain on the stadium but he could well end up with a shyte name!

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Feb 2008 17:15

rfc58
Southbank Old Boy

Not sure what you disagree with, the bit about Coppell is based on my opinion, but the bit about wages is a fact my friend.

My best mate does work for Hunt, Doyle, Kitson and Shorey, and without saying too much, that came from the "horses mouth.

I don't belive RFC have allowed any of our players to have a clause in their contract that gaurantee's them parity with the top earner at the club.

Why would the club give in to those kind of demands when we should be likely to be stretching our wage structure with all the new finances coming into the club.

I've no idea if it's your mate winding you up, or the players winding your mate up, or some chinese whispers going on, but I can't see it as being true.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Feb 2008 17:17

Let's reflect again on what was said in December:

Chairman - Funds available
Posted on: Mon 03 Dec 2007
Chairman John Madejski has confirmed that the Club is prepared for activity during the January transfer window.

He said, "We believe there is a huge amount of potential still to be achieved at Reading and we are 100% committed to moving this club to the next level.

"We are also fully aware that investment is required to make that happen, and we are prepared to strengthen the squad in January.

"Of course it depends whether the right players are available at the right prices and that decision will rest with the manager, but the financial backing will be there.

"We never set specific budgets but the board will always do everything possible to provide any funds requested by the manager.

"Steve Coppell and I have an extremely good relationship and we have never rejected any of his requests for financial backing.

"This doesn't just apply to the January transfer window, it is an ongoing process and reflects how far we have come as a club in the last few years."

Boss - Spending equals ambition
Posted on: Tue 04 Dec 2007

Steve Coppell has reaffirmed the need for more signings as the Club continues to look for growth.

Earlier this week, Chairman John Madejski confirmed that funds are in place for January signings.

The boss has also said that we would be losing ground if we do not continue to make inroads in the transfer market.

Coppell said, "Players want to come to clubs with ambition, and we like to think we've got ambition.

"If you look at the summer, Man Utd and Liverpool spent £40million, £50million each, we spent hardly anything. So by definition we're losing ground.

"So, for this club to be ambitious we've got be be acquiring three substantial signings every year.

"To be honest, it's a minimum of three.

"As time goes by, those signings will become more expensive.

"For us to make those signings, they've got to want to come here.

"They've got to see the ambition, it's got to be tangible in the form of expensive signings, a bigger stadium.

"Everything about the Club has got to meet the demands of the modern Premier League player."

rfc58

by rfc58 » 03 Feb 2008 17:18

Royal Lady So, if Hunt is now getting £25k a week, so are the rest of the players? I know when Sonko signed he was said to be the highest earner, and not all the players got the same as him. You're talking rubbish if you don't mind me saying.

And where did i say all players have this clause ? it applies to about 5, but i won't claim to know the exact number, but you make it sound like its un-heard of for such clauses.

Whether you believe it or not doesn't worry me in the slightest, but it's a fact, and it kind of explains why the club will santion 5M plus bids for players but won't santion the wages Prem players command.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Feb 2008 17:28

rfc58
Royal Lady So, if Hunt is now getting £25k a week, so are the rest of the players? I know when Sonko signed he was said to be the highest earner, and not all the players got the same as him. You're talking rubbish if you don't mind me saying.

And where did i say all players have this clause ? it applies to about 5, but i won't claim to know the exact number, but you make it sound like its un-heard of for such clauses.

Whether you believe it or not doesn't worry me in the slightest, but it's a fact, and it kind of explains why the club will santion 5M plus bids for players but won't santion the wages Prem players command.

If that is genuinely the case, then to be quite blunt, it is f*cking stupid.

Sir Dodger Royal
Location: Cyberspace - pulling the strings. You know it makes sense.

by Sir Dodger Royal » 03 Feb 2008 22:38

So basically everyone agrees with SDR which is just what I thought would be the case.

Real Facts. Real Sense.

The Madman doesn't believe in paying Premiership wages but in his negotiations with one or two potential buyers he has valued RFC at FOUR times it's real value.

What a blood hypocrite.

A real t**t if ever I saw oneeeeeeeeeeeee

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Feb 2008 12:55

Sir Dodger Royal So basically everyone agrees with SDR which is just what I thought would be the case.

Real Facts. Real Sense.

The Madman doesn't believe in paying Premiership wages but in his negotiations with one or two potential buyers he has valued RFC at FOUR times it's real value.

What a blood hypocrite.

shush penfold.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 04 Feb 2008 13:30

cmonurz
rfc58

If that is genuinely the case, then to be quite blunt, it is f*cking stupid.

It is a fact, whether we like it or not.

I am not that shocked by it, players have so many clauses written into contracts. There are other things that have gone on at the club that stunned me, but i will not reveal on here what they are. May explain why Convey was critical of the clubs (lack of) ambition pre season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Feb 2008 13:52

rfc58
cmonurz If that is genuinely the case, then to be quite blunt, it is f*cking stupid.

I am not that shocked by it, players have so many clauses written into contracts. There are other things that have gone on at the club that stunned me, but i will not reveal on here what they are. May explain why Convey was critical of the clubs (lack of) ambition pre season.

I'm firmly in the can't believe it camp.

This would be a stupid clause to insert into any players contract, and I can't believe our well run club would go along with such a clause.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 04 Feb 2008 14:09

Hoop Blah
rfc58
cmonurz If that is genuinely the case, then to be quite blunt, it is f*cking stupid.

I'm firmly in the can't believe it camp.

This would be a stupid clause to insert into any players contract, and I can't believe our well run club would go along with such a clause.

I say again, it is true. I take it you believe these types of clauses exsist, not at RFC but elsewhere ? agents who do the deals know that some players here are in a strong position with the club, as RFC do not/cannot afford another Sidwell debacle. They ask for all sorts, Reading say yes to some, no to others. The wages thing isn't a difficult one for JM, as he knows if he never sanctions say 40K per week to a new signing, then noboby can get it.

If it wasn't true, i would NOT put it up, as i know, even on forums, people remember the "talkers from the walkers"

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Feb 2008 15:37

rfc58 I say again, it is true. I take it you believe these types of clauses exsist, not at RFC but elsewhere ? agents who do the deals know that some players here are in a strong position with the club, as RFC do not/cannot afford another Sidwell debacle. They ask for all sorts, Reading say yes to some, no to others. The wages thing isn't a difficult one for JM, as he knows if he never sanctions say 40K per week to a new signing, then noboby can get it.

If it wasn't true, i would NOT put it up, as i know, even on forums, people remember the "talkers from the walkers"

To be honest I'm not sure I believe these clauses are in contracts anywhere no.

The only time I've really heard of this scenario before is with the likes of Terry at Chelsea, and the main problem there was that he was demanding equal pay with his teammates, and not that the club had folded under the pressure to give him the top dollar.

I agree it's easy for Madejski to just say no to any wages above his ceiling to keep this in check, but over a three year contract I can't see our club being willing to give such assurances to any of our players.

We can't prove it either way though, so it's a pointless debate...unless you can scan in a copy of a contract that is!

rfc58

by rfc58 » 04 Feb 2008 15:43

Hoop Blah
rfc58 I say again, it is true. I take it you believe these types of clauses exsist, not at RFC but elsewhere ? agents who do the deals know that some players here are in a strong position with the club, as RFC do not/cannot afford another Sidwell debacle. They ask for all sorts, Reading say yes to some, no to others. The wages thing isn't a difficult one for JM, as he knows if he never sanctions say 40K per week to a new signing, then noboby can get it.

To be honest I'm not sure I believe these clauses are in contracts anywhere no.

The only time I've really heard of this scenario before is with the likes of Terry at Chelsea, and the main problem there was that he was demanding equal pay with his teammates, and not that the club had folded under the pressure to give him the top dollar.

I agree it's easy for Madejski to just say no to any wages above his ceiling to keep this in check, but over a three year contract I can't see our club being willing to give such assurances to any of our players.

We can't prove it either way though, so it's a pointless debate...unless you can scan in a copy of a contract that is!

Best agree to disagree like you say, as you say, i have zilch to prove it.

But bear it in mind when we hear once again that we have failed to get a proven plyer through the door, its not his wages that are the issue, but the knock on effect.

Still, one thing remains true, every club in the top flight has bought a player from another top flight club, Derby just grabbed both Savage and Stubbs, we haven't achieved it.... says a lot about us, and i doubt this goes un-noticed amongst other clubs/players/agents etc. I exclude Rosenior simply because we swapped him for the nip.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 04 Feb 2008 15:55

Sir Dodger Royal So basically everyone agrees with SDR which is just what I thought would be the case.

Real Facts. Real Sense.

What a blood hypocrite.

SDR should be welcomed back, the man is the Red Adair of Reading football club...he shows up in times of emergency when we need him most, yes his style grates with some but the underlying message is spot on and his constructive criticism should be taken on board....I, for one, hope he posts more and that real debates and real solutions result from his reappearance because he certainly knows how to diagnose the problems at the heart of Reading FC, for without an accurate diagnosis, a cure is impossible. I salute him for braving the RTG storm, standing firm in the face of one-eyed, two-bit, fascist support akin to Hitler's cronies saying "i was just doing my job"...as Rtg's mutter after Reading's inevitable relegation, asked why they didn't react,"i was just supporting Reading FC"

No, supporting Reading FC is not blindly following the madman's gold-laden path to profit and relegation where only the accountants go home happy, it's enduring the torrent of abuse that comes your way for speaking the truth and SDR does that because he wants what's best for Reading football club, when you are sick you want the best doctor around, no matter how blunt or cocksure he is

Let's hear this man out...and oh lord please more than that, let's listen to him
Last edited by Gus the teenage cow on 04 Feb 2008 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

470 posts