436 posts
papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re: Prima donnas - Fae & Sonko suspended by club

by papereyes » 09 Jun 2008 09:47

West Stand Man
SpaceCruiser [
Oh and VOR, can't we ever use the word "black" as an adjective without any racist connotations? :roll:

Yes of course, but it needs to be used in a valid sense and add something positive to the sentence. You could easily remove the reference to Sonko's colour from that original post without impacting on the meaning of the comment - ergo it is unnecessary and racist to refer to his colour.

HTH.

No, no it doesn't. The last bit is all right, but that part is unnecessary and makes me want to go outside with a machete.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jun 2008 09:55

Nomad_Royal
JimmytheJim
To be blunt, if you can't see that then there is no point in explaining it to you.

If he had said 'you black piece of shit' then yes, I would judge that as racist. The comment about him being nothing more than a 'big black athelete' is not in any way racist from my perspective. You are also the only person that has complained about it

With all due respect, H&P, you are fairly consistently racist in that typical conservative party voter way of being racist. Not quite Bernard Manning, but teetering at the far end of a Boris Johnson. Also, I think you'll find that many more than him complained - I, for one, clicked to report the comment to find that it had already been reported. I would be hugely surprised if I were the only one. Also also, you really ought to realise you are holding completely the wrong opinion when you find Spacey agreeing with you.

Cue obnoxious and deeply misguided retort...[/quote]

No, cant let that go by with out comment Jimmy. So by your estimation "typical" conservative voters are all rascist are they? If that really is a fact we have a huge number of racists, up to 40% of the population according to opinion polls.

There are any number of reasons for choosing to vote for a particular party, your comment is merely cheap stereotyping.[/quote]

im not passing comment on this daft row(oh yes i am-its fine to call someone black,bit it did add nowt to the sentance so should probably have been left out-but who cares really)

i would just like to say that 40% is a pretty good starting point at the level of racism in this country, including those who think its ok to laugh at racist jokes,and those who dont think they are racist but still hold some ignorant opinions about race

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 09 Jun 2008 10:31

brendywendy i would just like to say that 40% is a pretty good starting point at the level of racism in this country, including those who think its ok to laugh at racist jokes,and those who dont think they are racist but still hold some ignorant opinions about race

I bet you laugh at jokes black comics use that take the p1ss out of whites or puffs (I know I do). Christ there's nothing racist in laughing at jokes, get a life please Mary Whitehouse. If we all laughed the world would be a better place.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Jun 2008 10:34

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jun 2008 11:56

Scarface
brendywendy i would just like to say that 40% is a pretty good starting point at the level of racism in this country, including those who think its ok to laugh at racist jokes,and those who dont think they are racist but still hold some ignorant opinions about race

I bet you laugh at jokes black comics use that take the p1ss out of whites or puffs (I know I do). Christ there's nothing racist in laughing at jokes, get a life please Mary Whitehouse. If we all laughed the world would be a better place.

LOL at mary whitehouse!
generally i agree
but there is a difference between some jokes made by comics and what im talking about.
which is the moronic, ignorant comments inviolved in a lower level kind of institutional racism you get on building sites, or when working in the NHS etc
like- they all look the same anyway, hur hur hur-calling someone chalky white, saying theyre good at sprinting cos of all the practice they get running away from violent whites hur hur hur, etc etc or just down right foulmouthed abuse, muttered to their mates in the passenger seat of the white van they are driving etc etc-or shouted at full volume at minority types out of the window even.
mainly i dont laugh cos its not funny, but plenty of people do.
its important not to laugh at these things just because you want to fit in, i even go as far as to express disgust,as otherwise it can work to perpetuate this kind of thing further.
IMESHO

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Jun 2008 13:27

g Send em back to Africa
Ivory Coast and France/Senegal actually.

Your comment I believe was intended to be racist, however if you had said the same about white players from Ivory Coast and France/Senegal I doubt anyone would have reported you so on the basis of racial equality perhaps your comment isn't racist at all.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 09 Jun 2008 13:50

papereyes [quote="West Stand ManYes of course, but it needs to be used in a valid sense and add something positive to the sentence. You could easily remove the reference to Sonko's colour from that original post without impacting on the meaning of the comment - ergo it is unnecessary and racist to refer to his colour.

HTH.

No, no it doesn't. The last bit is all right, but that part is unnecessary and makes me want to go outside with a machete.[/quote]

You might want to explain what you are talking about. Your response doesn't appear to have any relationship to the comment. Which 'bit' are you saying 'No, no' to; which 'last bit' are you refering to; and why would any of it make you want to use a machete?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Jun 2008 13:56

Just to drag the thread a bit more off topic; I saw Simon Amstell live in Northampton on Saturday and he picked up on the theme and ignorance of racism.

He jokingly picked on a guy in the front row and suggested that he probably was a racist. Of course the bloke denied it and the following exchange ensued:

SA: Do you have any black friends?
Bloke: Yes, lots.
SA: What are their names?
Bloke: (long pause, then eventually) Amos
SA: And who else?
Bloke: (long pause)
SA: Hmmm, 'Amos'. It strikes me that you're probably not only a racist but a liar too!

Well I found it funny!!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 09 Jun 2008 13:59

Scarface

Sorry, but there is something racist about laughing at jokes that stereotype people by colour or creed or gender. I have seen and heard jokes that would be side splittingly funny if they were just about people in general, but as soon as you introduce a need for the participants to have quaint accents written into their style of speech, or where the fact that they are afro-caribbean, asian, oriental etc adds nothing to the humour then the 'joke' loses its humour.

I won't lower myself to write down any of the offending jokes, but I think you will know what i mean. The next time you hear one just ask yourself if the fact that the protaganists are cited as being black (or whatever) is actually critical to the humour. It never is the case, trust me, and if they were just 'people' the joke would be funnier.

Jim Davidson, for instance, is a prime offender with his 'Chalky' stories. Why does the person in those have to have a clearly afro-caribbean lilt to his voice; if it was just another person with no special traits, delivered in Davidson's own voice and accent the stories would lose nothing and gain much. He, however, is too stupid to realise how racist he is. Hopefully you aren't.

RoyalBird

Sonko the outcast?

by RoyalBird » 11 Jun 2008 16:13

Dodd me if this has been posted, but I couldn't find a topic on it.

From BBC Website:

Sonko hits back at Royals critics

Senegal defender Ibrahima Sonko claims he has become an outcast at Reading.

"It all started going wrong when I got back from the Africa Cup of Nations," Sonko told the Sun newspaper.

"(Manager) Steve Coppell said people told him I was going out nightclubbing all the time. Coppell told me players had questioned my commitment.

"I couldn't believe it. I like a glass of wine with dinner and sometimes go out to clubs, but only if I have the next day free."

Sonko has fallen out of favour at the Madejski Stadium and was suspended along with team-mate Emerse Fae after both refused to play in a reserve match in April.

But he insists his commitment to the club should not be questioned.

"I had been loyal to the club," said Sonko.

"When the Nations Cup finished I landed at 6am, went straight to the ground and played against Bolton. Does that sound like someone who is not committed?"

Doesn't sound like we're going to have him in the club by the end of August. Clearly unhappy with team mates now, and with the suspension placed upon him at the end of the season, it would appear the future is gloomy for him at this club. Thoughts?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sonko the outcast?

by Thaumagurist* » 11 Jun 2008 16:15

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 11 Jun 2008 16:17

Thaumagurist*
RoyalBird Dodd me if this has been posted, but I couldn't find a topic on it.

Try the UR&G forum.

[Pedantic mode on] But that link is from Teamtalk, not BBC, therefore plausible [Pedantic mode off]

But feel free to dodd this thread then.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 11 Jun 2008 16:22

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

2.8 lita injection

Sonko can be superman II

by 2.8 lita injection » 22 Jun 2008 02:47

I dont suffer from short term memory loss, so i guess i should support someone else. ANyway to defend my fred i will never ever forget the role Sonko played in our record breaking season and the start till colin oxf*rd did his voodoo.

I can forgive, sorry for my drunken rant but of the few players who could reach the top only Doyle & Sonko have the potential....

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminar ... index.html

2.8 lita injection

Re: Sonko can be superman II

by 2.8 lita injection » 22 Jun 2008 04:04

I am sorry, i dont know what i was thinking.... I need to compare him to other players to help me with my judgement....

Dont let the defensive record in 2006 change your view.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 22 Jun 2008 07:56

He can fly away as far as I am concerned.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jun 2008 10:30

Worth holding onto unless a big bid comes in. Quite capable for this level and may learn from his mistakes and get back to his old form or better.

We're blessed with plenty of Centrebacks who can piss all over the championship in Sonko, Ivar, Duberry and Bikey with Cisse and Pearce looking to have a lot of potential too.

Sodje and Bennett do need to go though. And I suspect at the end of the season Duberry and possibly Ivar will be moved on, which is why I'd keep all of the good ones for now.

double d

by double d » 22 Jun 2008 11:33

Sonko 2005/2006>>>>>>>>Ingimarsson>>>>>>>>Bikey>>>>>>>>Dubarry>>>>>>>>Cisse>>>>>>>>Pearce>>>>>>>>Sodje>>>>>>>>Sonko Now

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 22 Jun 2008 12:27

Bikey>>>>>>>Sonko 05/06>>>>>>>>>>Pearce>>>>>>>>>>Ingimarsson>>>>>>>>>>Duberry>>>>>>>>>>>Sonko now>>>>>>>>>>Sodje>>>>>>>>>>Bennett

double d

by double d » 22 Jun 2008 13:08

Royalee Bikey>>>>>>>Sonko 05/06>>>>>>>>>>Pearce>>>>>>>>>>Ingimarsson>>>>>>>>>>Duberry>>>>>>>>>>>Sonko now>>>>>>>>>>Sodje>>>>>>>>>>Bennett

better then mine Lol

436 posts