Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

464 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

by Maguire » 13 Dec 2012 15:02

Worst analogy ever!

He was hired to play football. It's not like we brought him in as a lock forward and then surprised him with a football kit on his first day.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 13 Dec 2012 15:14

- What we need is a passing, creative midfielder...
- Hi, my name is Danny Guthrie!
- Great, now get out there, make some tackles and kick it up the pitch without looking!
- I must say I'm rather dissapointed.
- HOW DARE YOU. GET OUT.
- Ok, I'm sorry. Can I play now?
- No. You are injured.
- Ok, f/ck it. I don't want to play anymore.
- YOU TART. I'm fining you two weeks wages.
- I love this club.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 13 Dec 2012 15:22

There seems to be a myth surrounding Guthrie that he's Iniesta and Xavi rolled into one (although compared to Leigertwood they may have a point)

His previous clubs have included Chris Hughton/Alan Pardew's Newcastle and Gary Megson's Bolton. We're not talking Rinus oxf*rd' Michels here. Sure he's a good passer of the ball but there's no way McD will expect anything more extraordinary from him as a player than those previous managers would. It's pretty much the same philosophy as McD really - get it forward early and play from there -.

The problem is we don't have a forward of the calibre of a Demba Ba, a Grant Holt or a Kevin Davies to play off of and we don't have the quality of personnel to back that up anyway. It means we really can't afford the luxury of a player dawdling around the pitch taking 3 or more extra touches than he needs before delivering a pass which invariably doesn't work and then sulking because he has to run a bit to try and get it back.

He's a good player and technically more talented than the other central midfielders but he's not so good that we can build a different playing style around him (as much as I wish he was another Siggy, he isn't) and certainly not so superior that he can undermine the togetherness that has been the bedrock of the previous two seasons under the manager.

The ball is in his court, he's the one that now has to prove he wants to be a part of this set up. If he does then it's forgive and forget as far as I'm concerned and the club I'm sure.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 13 Dec 2012 15:25

Vision is right. People seem to be clinging to the idea of Guthrie as a miracle-worker who will single-handedly rescue us from this dire situation.

He won't. He doesn't fit the system that works for us - and when we tried to change it Spurs ripped us to pieces.

An expectation reset is needed.....

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Dec 2012 15:26

Vision There seems to be a myth surrounding Guthrie that he's Iniesta and Xavi rolled into one (although compared to Leigertwood they may have a point)

His previous clubs have included Chris Hughton/Alan Pardew's Newcastle and Gary Megson's Bolton. We're not talking Rinus oxf*rd' Michels here. Sure he's a good passer of the ball but there's no way McD will expect anything more extraordinary from him as a player than those previous managers would. It's pretty much the same philosophy as McD really - get it forward early and play from there -.

The problem is we don't have a forward of the calibre of a Demba Ba, a Grant Holt or a Kevin Davies to play off of and we don't have the quality of personnel to back that up anyway. It means we really can't afford the luxury of a player dawdling around the pitch taking 3 or more extra touches than he needs before delivering a pass which invariably doesn't work and then sulking because he has to run a bit to try and get it back.

He's a good player and technically more talented than the other central midfielders but he's not so good that we can build a different playing style around him (as much as I wish he was another Siggy, he isn't) and certainly not so superior that he can undermine the togetherness that has been the bedrock of the previous two seasons under the manager.

The ball is in his court, he's the one that now has to prove he wants to be a part of this set up. If he does then it's forgive and forget as far as I'm concerned and the club I'm sure.

So much ^this.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 13 Dec 2012 15:31

Don't think anybody believes Guthrie to be God of Football.

Just seems stupid to be turning your back on your alternatives when your plans aren't working because they hurt your feelings.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 13 Dec 2012 15:34

It wouldn't just be stupid, it would be complete and utter madness.

Which is why it isn't true.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Dec 2012 15:43

Vision. Do you write a blog about Reading? If not you should..

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 13 Dec 2012 15:47

Before Tuesday, a lot of people wanted Guthrie to play, me included, because our current options were so woefully inadequate. Very few people suggested he was the messiah, but it's equally blinkered to suggest that he was no good when he played for us. He started brightly and got less effective with each game before being dropped. It wasn't unreasonable to hope that he might come back with something more effective - certainly more effective than we've been of late. Having said that, a few people seem to think he still should be played after Tuesday's business. That, I agree, is madness. He may have a way back, but certainly not next game.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 Dec 2012 15:47

I haven't read any of this thread, so what I am about to say may have already been discussed.

Guthrie has now put McDermott in such a difficult position. Guthrie has been such an idiot and has almost made it untenable for him to play in the centre of midfield against Arsenal on Monday night. This is the problem.

Clearly Leigertwood needs to be dropped because he is looking out of his depth at this level. But how can McDermott tell Leigertwood that he is going to be dropped in favour of Guthrie after the way that Guthrie has been behaving lately?

What an absolute nightmare for McDermott. Guthrie needs to come in for Leigertwood, but Guthrie's behaviour has made it almost impossible for McDermott to tell Leigertwood that he is dropped and that silly plonker Guthrie who has been acting like a fool will be coming in to replace you.

It will look like, because Guthrie has been acting like a baby and refused to travel to Sunderland that his silly behaviour has worked and he has got his place back in the team. Picking Guthrie, what sort of message will that send out to the rest of the squad?

Guthrie, you're an idiot.... You have made it impossible for McDermott to pick you now.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Dec 2012 15:49

Would be well funny if he did start on Monday.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Dec 2012 15:53

jellytot Ahh how sweet he loves us!! Right ok we have nothing in the midfield so let's have him back in the team on Monday!! Starting 11 please Brian. Will not make much difference. Sure Brian will choose to put our wonder central midfielder and captain fantastic (sorry about the sarcasm) Jobi there at some point again!! Beggars belief! May as well put my mum there.

I'm sure she's great in any position

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 13 Dec 2012 15:56

Silver Fox
jellytot Ahh how sweet he loves us!! Right ok we have nothing in the midfield so let's have him back in the team on Monday!! Starting 11 please Brian. Will not make much difference. Sure Brian will choose to put our wonder central midfielder and captain fantastic (sorry about the sarcasm) Jobi there at some point again!! Beggars belief! May as well put my mum there.

I'm sure she's great in any position

Especially on all fours, looking over her shoulder with an "either is fine" look on her face.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Dec 2012 16:04

Well, that was my point but feel free to hammer it home

Twix

by Twix » 13 Dec 2012 16:07

I just read his interview in the chronicle he's moaning about the issue being made public so it seems he still treats fans with contempt and publicly criticises his manager even when he's supposed to be apologising.

Admittedly there are some things that should be kept "behind closed doors" but as he admits he was in the wrong I don't think it's one of those cases.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 13 Dec 2012 16:09

Silver Fox Well, that was my point but feel free to hammer it home

Into her ass or minge as she doesn't give a shit.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Dec 2012 16:16

Vision It's pretty much the same philosophy as McD really - get it forward early and play from there

Exactly. The point isn't so black and white as "he's allowed to pass it/he's not allowed to pass it". McDermott just doesn't want him taking it off the centre-halves when he's three yards away from them.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 13 Dec 2012 17:17

Top Flight I haven't read any of this thread, so what I am about to say may have already been discussed.

Guthrie has now put McDermott in such a difficult position. Guthrie has been such an idiot and has almost made it untenable for him to play in the centre of midfield against Arsenal on Monday night. This is the problem.

Clearly Leigertwood needs to be dropped because he is looking out of his depth at this level. But how can McDermott tell Leigertwood that he is going to be dropped in favour of Guthrie after the way that Guthrie has been behaving lately?

What an absolute nightmare for McDermott. Guthrie needs to come in for Leigertwood, but Guthrie's behaviour has made it almost impossible for McDermott to tell Leigertwood that he is dropped and that silly plonker Guthrie who has been acting like a fool will be coming in to replace you.

It will look like, because Guthrie has been acting like a baby and refused to travel to Sunderland that his silly behaviour has worked and he has got his place back in the team. Picking Guthrie, what sort of message will that send out to the rest of the squad?

Guthrie, you're an idiot.... You have made it impossible for McDermott to pick you now.

The way round that conundrum is for Guthrie to start on the bench and replace Leigertwood at some point (say 70 mins), if Leigertwood is performing to his usual standard.

That's what should have happened at Southampton and if it had we wouldn't be where we are today.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 13 Dec 2012 17:29

Alexander Litvinenko Vision is right. People seem to be clinging to the idea of Guthrie as a miracle-worker who will single-handedly rescue us from this dire situation.

He won't. He doesn't fit the system that works for us

Worked for us - last season.
No longer works for us - this season.

Guthrie against Stoke is a prime example of what we need and are missing. He held the ball up and passed it about really well. I was sat there saying to those around me that he was a really useful addition and just what we needed. He seemed to effortlessly find time on the ball too, something else we need. But in the coming games we shipped a few goals, Brian decided Guthrie didn't get stuck in enough and ironically passed too much, and then dropped him. Brian got it wrong, and this nonsense system that worked for us last season with a massive pinch of good fortune does not work at this level. He needed to change things a lot earlier, but now it's too late. Far far too late!

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 13 Dec 2012 17:45

Broxroyal
Top Flight I haven't read any of this thread, so what I am about to say may have already been discussed.

The way round that conundrum is for Guthrie to start on the bench and replace Leigertwood at some point (say 70 mins), if Leigertwood is performing to his usual standard.

That's what should have happened at Southampton and if it had we wouldn't be where we are today.

It wasn't even a case of taking L,wood off. It was the fact he kept putting McAnuff in the middle that pissed him off.

464 posts