HNA approval/disapproval of NA

418 posts

how long should we keep nigel adkins as manager?

get rid of now, his tactics are weak and we can do better
16%
give him till the end of december, then we will see where we are
4%
give him time to make signings in january and we will assess in march
6%
give him till the end of the season, he deserves a full season to show what he can do
44%
i am currently happy with our position in the table and the quality of football we are playing. this shouldnt be a discussion
20%
other
9%

Total votes: 232
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Adkins just isn't the 'Reading' type

by Ian Royal » 23 Dec 2013 13:29

floyd__streete
mambo3 NA accepted the job and the squad and the way Reading operate so he has no excuses. BMcD know how to bring the best out of players even poor ones. NA needs to master this

Most sense spoken on this thread yet.

And yet, our best performers this season... McCarthy, Pogrebnyak, Guthrie and arguably Pearce, maybe some would say Gunter, (ignoring the injured Bridge) are all players that Brian completely failed to get the best out of and often ignored in favour of inferior players.

Makes a bit of a mockery of that claim really doesn't it.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: HNA approval/disapproval of NA

by floyd__streete » 23 Dec 2013 13:32

McD couldn't get the best out of McCarthy and Pearce you say :?: :|

Conceded the others. Apart from Gunter who is an utter pussy :!:

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 23 Dec 2013 13:53

floyd__streete McD couldn't get the best out of McCarthy and Pearce you say :?: :|

That would be Alex Pearce, player of the season in our title winning season under McDermott.

Ian Royal has had a stinker there!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Adkins just isn't the 'Reading' type

by sandman » 23 Dec 2013 14:22

Ian Royal
floyd__streete
mambo3 NA accepted the job and the squad and the way Reading operate so he has no excuses. BMcD know how to bring the best out of players even poor ones. NA needs to master this

Most sense spoken on this thread yet.

And yet, our best performers this season... McCarthy, Pogrebnyak, Guthrie and arguably Pearce, maybe some would say Gunter, (ignoring the injured Bridge) are all players that Brian completely failed to get the best out of and often ignored in favour of inferior players.

Makes a bit of a mockery of that claim really doesn't it.

Made a bit of a mockery of yourself there Ian.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Dec 2013 18:00

Big Foot
floyd__streete McD couldn't get the best out of McCarthy and Pearce you say :?: :|

That would be Alex Pearce, player of the season in our title winning season under McDermott.

Ian Royal has had a stinker there!

That would be Alex Pearce who was woefully under used in 2012/13. And McCarthy who should have started the season first choice, given Feds injury. The season that I was talking about. I'll admit that I forgot to add a specific reference to that season though..

No stinker here.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 26 Dec 2013 17:40

Hmmm... another poor performace, questionable line-up, questionable tactics and questionable subs.

I know we played a good side today but sounds like they didn't have to play well to beat us. Hardly managed a shot on target all game apart from a goal ruled out for offside.

I'm starting to think I was a bit generous saying I'd give Adkins until this time next year, hopefully he can turn things around over the next couple of games, as it stands I'm really losing confidence in this guy...

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 26 Dec 2013 17:52

well if NA needs to be moved on. who as the power to do it? we have the owner who doesn`t come any more and SJM who is a minority shareholder.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 26 Dec 2013 17:57

Was willing to be patient waiting for the results of 'the new Reading style' - but it will never happen with 1) a different bloody team every week 2) Blackman, Kanu or Cummings in the team 3) McCleary , Sharp, Le Fondre on the bench. What is he doing ???????????????/

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 26 Dec 2013 17:58

windermere_royal well if NA needs to be moved on. who as the power to do it? we have the owner who doesn`t come any more and SJM who is a minority shareholder.

Who knows. That whole situation can't be helping matters on the pitch either.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 26 Dec 2013 19:27

I thought MM was great - and he was in starting the ball rolling
I thought JQ and MG were great as they were 'Reading' of the time
I thought TB was shite
I thought TB2 shouldve been great but he wasn't
I thought AP was a gamble, but grew to admire him and his team
I thought SSC dithered in joining us, wasn't convinced, but he was amazing for us
I thought BR was the right man, but at the wrong time. Think we gave him a valuable lesson which he has gained from
I thought BM was doing it on the cheap, but he turned out to be quite good
I thought NA was the wrong man - still think that, but looking back at my history, what do I know?

Think this time the club will give NA the time they didnt give BR - probably because despite playing crap football we are still there or there abouts...Just hope he is another manager who makes me eat my words (but I'm yet to be convinced)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Jan 2014 11:43

Nige's odds to be next WBA manager have just shot down :?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 03 Jan 2014 12:06

winchester_royal Nige's odds to be next WBA manager have just shot down :?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=121674

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Jan 2014 13:20

winchester_royal Nige's odds to be next WBA manager have just shot down :?

Jelly.
And.
Ice.
Cream.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Jan 2014 15:01

I don't get all these peeps saying this is the best squad we've ever had. I'm confident it is one of the worst.

You can't win shit if you don't have a defence or a balanced midfield. I don't care how good one or two players are meant to be. Your team is as good as your weakest players. I can't remember a worse back four. I've never seen us play with such a weak central pair in terms of ball-winning and breaking up play. Our wingers are either struggling for fitness or experience. Our forwards are low on confidence and morale.

Its the worst team I've seen in a long time. Amazed how well we have been doing tbh.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Jan 2014 15:05

Extended-Phenotype I don't get all these peeps saying this is the best squad we've ever had. I'm confident it is one of the worst.

You can't win shit if you don't have a defence or a balanced midfield. I don't care how good one or two players are meant to be. Your team is as good as your weakest players. I can't remember a worse back four. I've never seen us play with such a weak central pair in terms of ball-winning and breaking up play. Our wingers are either struggling for fitness or experience. Our forwards are low on confidence and morale.

Its the worst team I've seen in a long time. Amazed how well we have been doing tbh.

You obviouly haven't been watching us for very long then...Elroy Kromheer, Peter Van Der Kwaak, Stuart Gray, Andy Gurney, etc - and you can't remember a worse defence than the one we have now?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Jan 2014 15:12

Wycombe Royal
Extended-Phenotype I don't get all these peeps saying this is the best squad we've ever had. I'm confident it is one of the worst.

You obviouly haven't been watching us for very long then...Elroy Kromheer, Peter Van Der Kwaak, Stuart Gray, Andy Gurney, etc - and you can't remember a worse defence than the one we have now?

They weren't a regular defensive unit for us though - PVDK barely played 5 games for us FFS.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 03 Jan 2014 15:40

All the more bewildering then that Adkins said pre-season he wanted us to
Score 100 goals
Keep 21 clean sheets
Win 24 games
Be Champions

Wouldn't you say?

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 03 Jan 2014 16:11

Given the sorry state of the club / squad at the moment whoever we have in charge will not be able to make a success of this season. There is no chance of automatic promotion and qualification for the playoffs looks very doubtful.
So digest that and realise that next season or even the one after might be realistic targets for success.
If we have to wait that long then I would rather pay that price for a return to the passing style that we enjoyed before.
Sadly we don't have the players who are capable of pulling this off at the moment but if NA Is still manager next season we might have.
TBH I THINK HE WILL LEAVE and we will end up with another taxi driver.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 04 Jan 2014 00:48

Big Foot

All the more bewildering then that Adkins said pre-season he wanted us to
Score 100 goals
Keep 21 clean sheets
Win 24 games
Be Champions

Wouldn't you say?

Yes. I am bewildered by this.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 04 Jan 2014 10:05

In the past we have had some great players - Long, Siggurdson and Kebe, for example - and we have had some very good players on tremendous form - Karacan, Leigertwood, Mills, Federici. At the moment we don't have a single great player, and our very good ones are injured or seem flawed. All through this season, it has felt like other teams have just had better players than us. That is why this seems like the worse squad we have had in a long time. Poor Adkins.

418 posts