New signing today

405 posts
If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 23 May 2007 16:36

brendywendy
papereyes Judaism is one of only two religions protected by the UK laws for race and ethnicity.

then the law is an ass!
whats the other?

seems a bit mental, i dont see why they need extra protection compared to other religions

Go back in history ( not just the last sixty years or so ) and you may want to review that comment

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 May 2007 16:40

papereyes
brendywendy
papereyes Judaism is one of only two religions protected by the UK laws for race and ethnicity.

then the law is an ass!
whats the other?

seems a bit mental, i dont see why they need extra protection compared to other religions

Its because they're considered a separate ethnic grouping on the grounds of their race (iirc, you are born Jewish in a way tha you are not born Christian). Oh, and there may just be some historical precedent. Who knows.

As far as I was aware, and this may have changed, Jews and Sikhs were considered separate ethnic groups, whereas, for example, Muslims and Hindus were not.

This may have changed recently. I don't think it has.

yeah, i get the whole historical reasons why the jews think they need more protection, that much is obvious, not sure they really need it more than anyone else, just the same will do.

i just dont see the distinction between the 5 religions mentioned,

are people born a seikh too?is that the difference?
and muslims and christians are born into religious families, and forced to follow th efamily with no thought or choice about it, dont see how thats very different from being born a jew

can i not choose to become a jew?what if i marry a jewish lady?
the fact that you can only be a jew if born a jew will surely result in no jews left over a long enough timescale.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 23 May 2007 16:47

brendywendy
papereyes
brendywendy

then the law is an ass!
whats the other?

Its because they're considered a separate ethnic grouping on the grounds of their race (iirc, you are born Jewish in a way tha you are not born Christian). Oh, and there may just be some historical precedent. Who knows.

As far as I was aware, and this may have changed, Jews and Sikhs were considered separate ethnic groups, whereas, for example, Muslims and Hindus were not.

This may have changed recently. I don't think it has.

yeah, i get the whole historical reasons why the jews think they need more protection, that much is obvious, not sure they really need it more than anyone else, just the same will do.

i just dont see the distinction between the 5 religions mentioned,

are people born a seikh too?is that the difference?
and muslims and christians are born into religious families, and forced to follow th efamily with no thought or choice about it, dont see how thats very different from being born a jew

can i not choose to become a jew?what if i marry a jewish lady?
the fact that you can only be a jew if born a jew will surely result in no jews left over a long enough timescale.

Why? Are they all due to become infertile or sterile?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 23 May 2007 16:49

I don't know much more than that, but Sikhism was the first and then Judaism. With Sikhism, the courts ruled that it wasn't an ethnic grouping and that was overturned.

I think with those two religions, as opposed to the other major ones, the ethnicity and the religion are very strongly interrelated. certainly for Judaism, one cannot simply convert. Orthodox Jews even frown on conversion. So, you're Jewish if you are born to a Jewish mother.

You can also be a Jew, even if you do not adhere to Judaism. (and at this point it just gets confusing!)

I'm not at all sure why Sikhnism gets its 'special' status, but can certainly see why Judaism is seen as a race while Christianity and Islam certainly cannot be.

That said, this is all from the 1976 race relations act, so it may have been updated. Certainly there are now some laws protecting people from religious discrimination now.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 May 2007 17:02

Why? Are they all due to become infertile or sterile?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no it just stands to reason:

start with 100 jews
(or persons of other distinct ethnic or religious backgrounds, not allowed to marry out of that religion/ethnic background.)

49.9 are male, 50.1 are female

i would say that its not unreasonable to think that perhaps 10% either wont get married or not marry a jew

leaving 44.9 m and 45.1f.

thats 45 couples

10 percent of these dont have any children due to a premature death or infertility

that only leaves 40 couples

if they all had 2.4 kids each=96 people.

at that rate you would run out eventually as it is

and thats without a possible 10% of the children born into jewish families may not continue their jewishness into adulthood due to marriage into another faith, or developing atheism/agnosticism etc

leaving 86 people in the second generation from an original population of 100.

etc etc ad infinitum

right now ive made my pedantic point,
ive just found out that they do it by jewish boys often marrying non jewish girls and converting them, which is allowed.
Last edited by brendywendy on 23 May 2007 17:09, edited 2 times in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 23 May 2007 17:05

ive just found out that they do it by jewish boys often marrying non jewish girls and converting them, which is allowed.

Its actually quite rare.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 May 2007 17:07

papereyes

Its actually quite rare.

thats a very shortsighted view for a religion to take

they must make up for it by having massive families then

Fat_Septic

by Fat_Septic » 23 May 2007 17:16

Jews and Sikhs, on the other hand, are allowed to intermarry with each other provided both parties agree to wear scottish kilts at the ceremony and forbear from using the word "nuance" in mixed company.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 23 May 2007 17:20

Fat_Septic Jews and Sikhs, on the other hand, are allowed to intermarry with each other provided both parties agree to wear scottish kilts at the ceremony and forbear from using the word "nuance" in mixed company.

Isn't it wonderful when they use that little sikh knife to cut off that little Jewish foreskin.

I love it when cultures mix.

Fat_Septic

by Fat_Septic » 23 May 2007 17:25

papereyes
Fat_Septic Jews and Sikhs, on the other hand, are allowed to intermarry with each other provided both parties agree to wear scottish kilts at the ceremony and forbear from using the word "nuance" in mixed company.

Isn't it wonderful when they use that little sikh knife to cut off that little Jewish foreskin.

I love it when cultures mix.
Brings a tear to the eye, doesn't it? For all kinds of reasons . . .

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 23 May 2007 17:47

brendywendy no it just stands to reason:

etc etc etc

That same logic must show that the human race is doomed to disappear. Although the fact that it is growing at a massive rate seems a bit odd...

I believe Orthodox jews do tend to have particularly large families though, so short of too many pogroms or holocausts they may be OK, or perhaps it is just that the centuries it might take for your slow decline theory to come to fruition makes it all a bit theoretical.

I suspect one reason Sikhs were included as a seperate racial group is their beliefs mean they are likely to break some of our laws (motor bike helmets for example) and by defining them as a seperate group it gives scope to exempt them en masse.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 23 May 2007 17:51

Don't they get helmets with Turbans on top?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 23 May 2007 18:01

papereyes Don't they get helmets with Turbans on top?

I did always wonder whether they could make turban material that incorporated some kind of steel mesh to give motorcycling protection.
Maybe there is a marketing opportunity there....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 May 2007 09:38

Behindu
brendywendy no it just stands to reason:

etc etc etc

That same logic must show that the human race is doomed to disappear. Although the fact that it is growing at a massive rate seems a bit odd...

I believe Orthodox jews do tend to have particularly large families though, so short of too many pogroms or holocausts they may be OK, or perhaps it is just that the centuries it might take for your slow decline theory to come to fruition makes it all a bit theoretical.

I suspect one reason Sikhs were included as a seperate racial group is their beliefs mean they are likely to break some of our laws (motor bike helmets for example) and by defining them as a seperate group it gives scope to exempt them en masse.

yeah i thought about that last night
my logic was utter tosh, looked good for a minute or two though!

not least becuase i calculated the birth rate as 2 per couple not the 2.4 i stated.

it would apply to any population, invcluding the whole planet you are right.

but it does make me worry slightly that the western world birth rates are dropping below the 2.4 required to replenish the population and without mas simmigration we are doomed to stagnation and extinction!

Trigger

by Trigger » 24 May 2007 16:36

Behindu
papereyes Don't they get helmets with Turbans on top?

I did always wonder whether they could make turban material that incorporated some kind of steel mesh to give motorcycling protection.
Maybe there is a marketing opportunity there....

Didn't Del Boy already invent that? IIRC It was called the Trotter Crash Turban...

Mr Brightside
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mr Brightside » 24 May 2007 16:40

Can we remove this from the team board, surely it isnt about the team anymore :twisted:

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 24 May 2007 16:41

You could just not open the thread ?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 24 May 2007 17:51

Mr Brightside Can we remove this from the team board, surely it isnt about the team anymore :twisted:

If you fiddle with a thread the whole jumper will fall apart, just like with the bobbling on footie shirts

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re:

by Big Foot » 30 Sep 2010 16:43

Stranded If the EP is to be believed - it's someone who can play midfield and defence.

Post on here suggests it's a player with Prem experience who has been playing abroad.

We're after someone who can play LB apparently.

I reckon it could be Ian Harte (probably won't be now).

3 years premature, you sir are a visionairy

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Re:

by Archie's penalty » 30 Sep 2010 16:58

Big Foot
Stranded If the EP is to be believed - it's someone who can play midfield and defence.

Post on here suggests it's a player with Prem experience who has been playing abroad.

We're after someone who can play LB apparently.

I reckon it could be Ian Harte (probably won't be now).

3 years premature, you sir are a visionairy

Crikey.

405 posts