Re: Coppell's latest backtrack

by Ozymandias » 04 Feb 2008 15:58

He loves you too.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 04 Feb 2008 16:03

Something that has stood out for me is the use by our rivals of the loan market this window to bolster their sides at little cost/long term risk. Coppell himself has acknowledged that loans make financial sense.

So why haven't we used the loan market inwards?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Feb 2008 16:04

Gus the teenage cow
Sir Dodger Royal So basically everyone agrees with SDR which is just what I thought would be the case.

Real Facts. Real Sense.

The Madman doesn't believe in paying Premiership wages but in his negotiations with one or two potential buyers he has valued RFC at FOUR times it's real value.

What a blood hypocrite.

A real t**t if ever I saw oneeeeeeeeeeeee

SDR should be welcomed back, the man is the Red Adair of Reading football club...he shows up in times of emergency when we need him most, yes his style grates with some but the underlying message is spot on and his constructive criticism should be taken on board....I, for one, hope he posts more and that real debates and real solutions result from his reappearance because he certainly knows how to diagnose the problems at the heart of Reading FC, for without an accurate diagnosis, a cure is impossible. I salute him for braving the RTG storm, standing firm in the face of one-eyed, two-bit, fascist support akin to Hitler's cronies saying "i was just doing my job"...as Rtg's mutter after Reading's inevitable relegation, asked why they didn't react,"i was just supporting Reading FC"

No, supporting Reading FC is not blindly following the madman's gold-laden path to profit and relegation where only the accountants go home happy, it's enduring the torrent of abuse that comes your way for speaking the truth and SDR does that because he wants what's best for Reading football club, when you are sick you want the best doctor around, no matter how blunt or cocksure he is

Let's hear this man out...and oh lord please more than that, let's listen to him

Well, unlike SDR himself, you did make me laugh... :lol: :lol:

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 04 Feb 2008 16:21

Platypuss Something that has stood out for me is the use by our rivals of the loan market this window to bolster their sides at little cost/long term risk. Coppell himself has acknowledged that loans make financial sense.

So why haven't we used the loan market inwards?

coz players available for loan are generally shite

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Feb 2008 16:29

Like Curtis Davies, the Villa centre-back, on loan from West Brom?

PP's point is a good one - if we can't afford to buy replacements, we should enter the loan market. It seems to work for everyone else.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 04 Feb 2008 16:37

Loans are not where we need to be. They just plug holes with offcasts.

The fact that needs to be addressed is, Where the hell did the increased revenue (to enable us to compete :lol: ) from my increased price season ticket go. Not just this season, but last season? So we didn't sign anyone, fine, so show us the accounts sheet that shows where the money is being funnelled.

We have a chairman who needs to answer to his Football clubs supporters on any number of issues. The fact that the team is not performing is, i'm sure, an inconvenience for him, as it has the potential to "find him out" long term.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Feb 2008 16:47

Spirit of Elm Park Loans are not where we need to be. They just plug holes with offcasts.

The fact that needs to be addressed is, Where the hell did the increased revenue (to enable us to compete :lol: ) from my increased price season ticket go. Not just this season, but last season? So we didn't sign anyone, fine, so show us the accounts sheet that shows where the money is being funnelled.

We have a chairman who needs to answer to his Football clubs supporters on any number of issues. The fact that the team is not performing is, i'm sure, an inconvenience for him, as it has the potential to "find him out" long term.

wage bill increases-more than doubled
training ground,
media centre
we actually did sign new players during every window, and spent about about 7 million net on them

etc etc

rfc58

by rfc58 » 04 Feb 2008 16:51

brendywendy
Spirit of Elm Park Loans are not where we need to be. They just plug holes with offcasts.

wage bill increases-more than doubled
training ground,
media centre
we actually did sign new players during every window, and spent about about 7 million net on them

etc etc

I think the point he/we are making is, what you say is right, but the club has truly hit the jackpot in revenue generated during the last 2.5 seasons, yet very little has been done on players to make sure the "golden goose" continues to lay !

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Feb 2008 16:53

cmonurz Like Curtis Davies, the Villa centre-back, on loan from West Brom?

PP's point is a good one - if we can't afford to buy replacements, we should enter the loan market. It seems to work for everyone else.

I think we should be looking to use the loan system a little more, but a lot of the better loan deals, like Davies' are just preludes to a permenant transfer.

I think Villa have agreed a £9m fee for Davies as part of the loan, and it was just done as a loan to get it through before summer window closed.

Agree on the principle though.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 04 Feb 2008 17:09

Coppell is working to the constraints he has on him - those constraints are funnelled through bugs and he has to get on with it - he cannot criticise the chairman, but it does make you wonder how much of a backbone he has in confronting the issue.

Mad lives in another wrold - hes not really interested in football but he is interested in the trappings that go with it - only 20 premiership clubs so its a big trophy for him, showing it off to the c listed celebrities he invites into his box every home game - i think the reason he isnt selling is because he will lose all the exposure and will become a nobody apart from what he does locally to self promote.

Whilst hes at the helm nothing is going to change - thats going to be a long time so just get used to it

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 04 Feb 2008 17:15

JM is getting older, he likes the attention which he never had before so he won't move.

Coppell is still a good manager, he has constraints put on him which he has to work to, but he keeps his toys in the pram unlike Portuguese managers we could name. Its certainly not a lack of backbone.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Feb 2008 17:28

The level of disrespect shown by some people on here towards the 2 men whose very different talents have taken us to the Premier League is quite stunning.

Sad to say I am past contempt for some of the views aired on here; they are starting to make me chuckle a bit now.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 04 Feb 2008 17:46

rose tinted spectacles ! You show me how much chairman has invested in the club (excluding loans he has made with interest accrued!!) and Ill withdraw my views

As for coppell i merely aksed if he was of the ilk to stand toe-to-toe to chairman - i assume you know the answer to that one

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Feb 2008 17:54

The respect that is their due has absolutely fcuk all to do with how much money has been spent. :lol:

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 04 Feb 2008 17:57

Be interesting to hear your views when next season playing away to Swansea

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 04 Feb 2008 18:18

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Be interesting to hear your views when next season playing away to Swansea

I would somehow think RR's views will be the same as they've always been.

He will want Reading to win, surprisingly they may choose to ignore his suggestions from the stands (or comfort of his armchair) and they may even lose.

He will then go home, have a cup of coffee and a life.

He will look forward to the next match.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 04 Feb 2008 18:28

so no ambition either!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 04 Feb 2008 18:33

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY so no ambition either!

Why should he be bothered? His energies are only for things he can affect in his own life and those less fortunate who he can maybe help. Perhaps by explaining the difference between life and football.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 04 Feb 2008 18:58

Uke
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Be interesting to hear your views when next season playing away to Swansea

I would somehow think RR's views will be the same as they've always been.

He will want Reading to win, surprisingly they may choose to ignore his suggestions from the stands (or comfort of his armchair) and they may even lose.

He will then go home, have a cup of coffee and a life.

He will look forward to the next match.

Judging by his almost 24 hour vigil on these boards I think the bit in bold might be stretching it a bit!!

I do share his respect for Coppell and more importantly Mr M.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 04 Feb 2008 19:24

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY rose tinted spectacles ! You show me how much chairman has invested in the club (excluding loans he has made with interest accrued!!) and Ill withdraw my views

As for coppell i merely aksed if he was of the ilk to stand toe-to-toe to chairman - i assume you know the answer to that one

It will cost JM a lot more money if we get relegated.

He's not stupid, he realises he needs this club to stay up to make his money, which at the end of the day is all he's interested in.

The money was there, Coppell wouldn't/couldn't spend it and Coppell would go toe to toe with JM if that wasn't the case. COppell does not suffer fools, he wouldn't let someone like JM (who someone like Coppell would think is an utter tosser) make him look bad to save his own face.

If the money wasn't there Coppell would be screaming it from the roof tops.

470 posts