TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

3874 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2024 08:33

WestYorksRoyal
Clyde1998
WestYorksRoyal Anybody with access to Google knows are running costs are high for a L1 club. Are these buyers surprised to discover it?

Though the bigger problem seems to be Dai's asking price - perhaps it would be fair if the club was financially stable, but given it's running up losses it's clearly too high.

We'll have two bigger costs than a typical League One club - the stadium and the academy.

The stadium maintenance will be a fairly fixed cost and will probably be offset by ticket sales.

Having a Category One academy in League One is probably the biggest factor as to why we're needing external funding. Of course, it does also mean we don't have to buy as many players and may be able to sell players for higher fees than a typical League One club. However, the operating costs are probably too great whilst we're in League One.

Back to my original points - are potential buyers morons who only discover this months down the line? What you describe is well known. How many "Reading FC shitshow" articles have been published in the last 18 months?

How many owners across the divisions who come in and even after all the due dilligence have no understanding of how much a club costs.

It's a lot.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 19 Jun 2024 08:33

WestYorksRoyal
Clyde1998
WestYorksRoyal Anybody with access to Google knows are running costs are high for a L1 club. Are these buyers surprised to discover it?

Though the bigger problem seems to be Dai's asking price - perhaps it would be fair if the club was financially stable, but given it's running up losses it's clearly too high.

We'll have two bigger costs than a typical League One club - the stadium and the academy.

The stadium maintenance will be a fairly fixed cost and will probably be offset by ticket sales.

Having a Category One academy in League One is probably the biggest factor as to why we're needing external funding. Of course, it does also mean we don't have to buy as many players and may be able to sell players for higher fees than a typical League One club. However, the operating costs are probably too great whilst we're in League One.

Back to my original points - are potential buyers morons who only discover this months down the line? What you describe is well known. How many "Reading FC shitshow" articles have been published in the last 18 months?

Not sure I buy into cat one academy is sustainable in the champ but not league one. Why is the operating costs too much in league 1 compared to championship? What revenue are we missing out on being a division below? We signed our long term sponsorship deal with scl whilst in the champ. Ticket prices increased last season, and we had a higher average attendance. Genuine question, what are we missing out on? What’s the difference between championship prize money and league one, and what is the difference in TV rights between champ and league one. As they seem to be the only two things that could be different.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2024 08:37

Brogue
WestYorksRoyal
Clyde1998 We'll have two bigger costs than a typical League One club - the stadium and the academy.

Why is the operating costs too much in league 1 compared to championship? What revenue are we missing out on being a division below? We signed our long term sponsorship deal with scl whilst in the champ. Ticket prices increased last season, and we had a higher average attendance. Genuine question, what are we missing out on? What’s the difference between championship prize money and league one, and what is the difference in TV rights between champ and league one. As they seem to be the only two things that could be different.

TV money is vastly different for a start.

Income in the Championship is roughly £14m - £16m a season. In L1 we haven't seen the accounts yet, but somewhere between £8m and £10m seems about right. A Cat 1 academy costs about £2m a year.

There's a reason only us and Derby had one in L1, iland it's because we didn't immediately downgrade on relegation in the hopesof bouncing back.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jun 2024 08:59

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
WestYorksRoyal Back to my original points - are potential buyers morons who only discover this months down the line? What you describe is well known. How many "Reading FC shitshow" articles have been published in the last 18 months?

Why is the operating costs too much in league 1 compared to championship? What revenue are we missing out on being a division below? We signed our long term sponsorship deal with scl whilst in the champ. Ticket prices increased last season, and we had a higher average attendance. Genuine question, what are we missing out on? What’s the difference between championship prize money and league one, and what is the difference in TV rights between champ and league one. As they seem to be the only two things that could be different.

Income in the Championship is roughly £14m - £16m a season. In L1 we haven't seen the accounts yet, but somewhere between £8m and £10m seems about right. A Cat 1 academy costs about £2m a year.

There's a reason only us and Derby had one in L1, iland it's because we didn't immediately downgrade on relegation in the hopesof bouncing back.

There is also the new TV deal kicking in which brings in even more money to the Champ in comparison to L1. Cat 1 categories were always set up to be expensive as they were really meant to be for PL clubs and top Champ clubs to have so that they could concentrate all the top talent in 20 or so academies.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Jun 2024 09:37

This feels like it is all going the way of last season; the owner is obviously being unrealistic in his expectations and it seems unlikely this will be fully resolved by August.

So no players will be signed, we will also be under threat of further points deductions given there is limited income for wages & tax.

Players may have to be sold resulting in Selles walking and the best case scenario at this stage looks to be another season of struggle.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Jun 2024 09:51

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
WestYorksRoyal Back to my original points - are potential buyers morons who only discover this months down the line? What you describe is well known. How many "Reading FC shitshow" articles have been published in the last 18 months?

I'm sure I've seen stuff implying a Category 1 academy is closer to £5 million a year in total.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jun 2024 10:29

Mid Sussex Royal This feels like it is all going the way of last season; the owner is obviously being unrealistic in his expectations and it seems unlikely this will be fully resolved by August.

So no players will be signed, we will also be under threat of further points deductions given there is limited income for wages & tax.

Players may have to be sold resulting in Selles walking and the best case scenario at this stage looks to be another season of struggle.

Yep agree - rinse repeat of last season.

I can honestly see us being in the same position next year too. I am convinced that in Dai’s make believe world he gets us back into the Championship and then sells us for a profit. I wish the likes of NH would stop insulting our intelligence with the same meaningless updates. I would just rather some honesty and transparency.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Jun 2024 11:02

I agree with the posts above. Supporting Reading FC right now feels like looking after a loved relative who is slowly wasting away over many months with a horrible cancer. Dai is that cancer and I still wonder in the end if he would rather destroy the club than sell it.

Things look bleak. I can see the academy and women's team ending and wonder if there will be anything left of this hollowed out shell of what used to be RFC left to support. If there is no progress on the sale soon, then Selles and all the better players would be mad to hang around for another season of chaos ahead.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jun 2024 11:02

blythspartan
Mid Sussex Royal This feels like it is all going the way of last season; the owner is obviously being unrealistic in his expectations and it seems unlikely this will be fully resolved by August.

I can honestly see us being in the same position next year too. I am convinced that in Dai’s make believe world he gets us back into the Championship and then sells us for a profit. I wish the likes of NH would stop insulting our intelligence with the same meaningless updates. I would just rather some honesty and transparency.

Do Chiron's loans at least make the worst case scenario less likely? If Dai doesn't manage to get his unrealistic price and ends up defaulting on the loan, Chiron get it for peanuts, and could do some budget cutting to sell it on at a fair price.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Jun 2024 11:07

WestYorksRoyal
blythspartan

Do Chiron's loans at least make the worst case scenario less likely? If Dai doesn't manage to get his unrealistic price and ends up defaulting on the loan, Chiron get it for peanuts, and could do some budget cutting to sell it on at a fair price.

Also, if this did happen, what would then happen if Chiron don't pass the EFL tests?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jun 2024 11:29

WestYorksRoyal
blythspartan

I suspect Dai or his sister can pay back Chiron if push comes to shove.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2024 12:15

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

I'm sure I've seen stuff implying a Category 1 academy is closer to £5 million a year in total.

Me too, but not from anything or one reliable, and that's a ludicrous figure for even a top Championship club to afford.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2024 12:17

andrew1957 I agree with the posts above. Supporting Reading FC right now feels like looking after a loved relative who is slowly wasting away over many months with a horrible cancer. Dai is that cancer and I still wonder in the end if he would rather destroy the club than sell it.

Things look bleak. I can see the academy and women's team ending and wonder if there will be anything left of this hollowed out shell of what used to be RFC left to support. If there is no progress on the sale soon, then Selles and all the better players would be mad to hang around for another season of chaos ahead.

Maybe you should just pray harder and send the club some alternative medicine.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jun 2024 12:35

Currently it seems we're all back at square 1 with anyone interested talking to Dai. No nearer, nor any clue whether the idiot even wants to sell the mess as he can't seem to agree a price, or accept the amount of money he'll get will decrease, as these groups seem to have to pay the club wages and tax as part of the negotiations. Shame you can't force people like this to accept a proposed deal. This time next month we'll all still be waiting and quite probably a few months into the season too, are SBWD going to be returning to the tennis balls and getting games abandoned if that's is where we are in September? Always fancied a league trip to Bromley - if we still have a club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2024 12:39

Sutekh Currently it seems we're all back at square 1 with anyone interested talking to Dai. No nearer, nor any clue whether the idiot even wants to sell the mess as he can't seem to agree a price, or accept the amount of money he'll get will decrease, as these groups seem to have to pay the club wages and tax as part of the negotiations. Shame you can't force people like this to accept a proposed deal. This time next month we'll all still be waiting and quite probably a few months into the season too, are SBWD going to be returning to the tennis balls and getting games abandoned if that's is where we are in September? Always fancied a league trip to Bromley - if we still have a club.

If we aren't sold by season start, I'd like to see a boycott of the first home game. Just a completely empty stadium.

Im sticking to no sale soon means we won't see out the season. We might limp into starting it still.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jun 2024 12:40

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh Currently it seems we're all back at square 1 with anyone interested talking to Dai. No nearer, nor any clue whether the idiot even wants to sell the mess as he can't seem to agree a price, or accept the amount of money he'll get will decrease, as these groups seem to have to pay the club wages and tax as part of the negotiations. Shame you can't force people like this to accept a proposed deal. This time next month we'll all still be waiting and quite probably a few months into the season too, are SBWD going to be returning to the tennis balls and getting games abandoned if that's is where we are in September? Always fancied a league trip to Bromley - if we still have a club.

If we aren't sold by season start, I'd like to see a boycott of the first home game. Just a completely empty stadium.

Now that makes good sense, would back that all the way.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jun 2024 13:47

Snowflake Royal

Im sticking to no sale soon means we won't see out the season. We might limp into starting it still.

Total boycott eventually worked for Blackpool. Seriously considering if I bother with the Royals TV International Pass this year. Will probably get it on the credit card to protect myself but not 100% at the mo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jun 2024 14:44

Do credit cards protect you in instances of partial refunds? Ie if you bought a ST and then we collapsed in January, would you get anything back?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 19 Jun 2024 15:45

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

I've seen that too, but it's been unclear whether they were talking about £5m total or £5m more than having a Cat2 academy.

The initial costs were suggested to be between £2.3m and £4.94m, according to the Premier League's plan for Cat1. Cat2 was between £1.020m and £1.775m; Cat3 was between £315k and £540k and Cat4 was £285k.

The big financial differences between a bottom Cat1 and a top Cat2 academy is in coaching costs and accommodation and travel (I'm guessing the latter being lower is due to the more regionalised nature of Cat2). Between those two factors, a club would spend around £500k less by being Cat2. Simply employing staff seems to be over 60% the cost of an academy at any category.

Some of costs in the document have likely ballooned due to inflation (both general and of football players/staff wages). It's possible it's £2m more than Cat2 and £5m in total at the moment.

If it is £5m in total, that's going to be at least half our revenue - unless we're selling players coming through the academy for decent fees regularly, that's far too large for a League One club.

That said, there's also a grant for having a Cat1 academy (smaller grants for other categories) which would offset some of these costs.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 19 Jun 2024 15:47

Hound Do credit cards protect you in instances of partial refunds? Ie if you bought a ST and then we collapsed in January, would you get anything back?

I think the STAR statement said it was pro-rata. So if you've paid for 23 matches and you only get ten, you should get 13/23rds of the season ticket price back.

3874 posts