Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 10 Aug 2010 18:17

We're owned by someone who can't afford to own a football club.

The real question is why has no one come in to take the club off him.

You can't run a Championship without outside investment.

JM's done everything for this club, but some seriously bad investments have taken a hit and it's the best time for both parties to move on.

From what I have hard the sooner the window shuts, the better. This ain't BM trying the old PR route.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Aug 2010 18:17

Why is anyone suprised, the board have been short changing the fans disgustingly in the last few seasons and it continues because they can get away with it. Look at the players we've sold. Sonko, Kitson, Doyle, Shorey, Bikey, hunt, Cisse and Matejovsky all for substantial transfer fee's. We've offloaded Hahneman, convey, harper and murty - all who were on substantial wages. To replace those we've bought in mills for about a million, howard and tabb for not very much, mcanuff and rasiak for nominal fee's, griffin for peanuts and williams on a free transfer. We've had a few youth players break into the team also.
Anyone looking from the outside can see Reading are a selling club who absolutely DID NOT make the most of the premiership years to built on our status as a club. Instead we went backwards and will continue to go backwards with a board who are only interested in selling our best players and blaming the climate of modern day football for it when other clubs who have had far less income than our's in the last 5 years are doing fine.

I knew this would happen when I renewed my season ticket, all sorts of excitement and hype for the new season, same old attitude from the board coupled with another opening day bore losing the worst team in the league at home, suffering injuries and highlighting the dire need to bring in 1/2 more players. Then the usual " no money available" speech from whoever is in charge.

Expect the club apologists to pipe up as usual, absolutely no excuse once again for the complete inept investment in a team thats been to the bare bones over the last few seasons.
Last edited by FiNeRaIn on 10 Aug 2010 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 10 Aug 2010 18:20

I share the frustration at the lack of another decent centre back and fear that a squad with so much potential will fall well short of Madejski's 'Premier League ambitions' as a result. What I don't understand is the attitude amongst some fans that the chairman should just fcuk off and sell - it assumes that the right buyer is just waiting in the wings and ready to pump in cash without mortgaging our future. I'm not sure that's particularly realistic!

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 10 Aug 2010 18:21

brendywendy
Sarah Star But you can reach the Prem without spending money. Isn't that what Reading have done in the past and what Blackpool did last season? You can have ambition if you spend wisely...

though obviously if you have the money to buy in proven talent you would hope you stood a more solid chance of promotion but that's by no means guaranteed and risky if you fail and can't fund the fallout from it.

agreed

05/06 team cost <5 million to assemble, the most expensive of which was the 1 million pound gift of lita from JM

Gift? Loan I think

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 10 Aug 2010 18:27

This is very much the "august splurge" that we regularly get from the club, Madejski says he will do all he can for promotion and then the manager at the time responds with we havent any money to get anyone in or as SSC used to say we will "go with what we have" the echos of Madejski's statement a couple of years ago that we "happy where we are in the championship for the time being" spring to mind. We got dangerously close to the play-offs last year and the fright of regaining a premiership spot, god forbid that happens this year, another true example of the clubs, "ambition".

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 10 Aug 2010 18:29

Hoop Blah Who's bashing anyone? And who'd being impatient and not saying they'll wait and see how this pans out?

NR_Royal oxf*rd Madejski, I'm sure we could at least sign Zurab if he wasn't such a oxf*rd tightarse.

I understand we have to be responsible with the cash, but surely in the best interest of the club we really need a defender. *explodes*

FiNeRaIn Expect the club apologists to pipe up as usual, absolutely no excuse once again for the complete inept investment in a team thats been to the bare bones over the last few seasons.

just a couple without reading everything.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 10 Aug 2010 18:31

Perhaps we should all have refused to pay less for our season tickets :shock:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 10 Aug 2010 18:33

Like others on here, I find JM frustrating when he starts waxing lyrical about the season ahead. Would rather he just STFU & not build people's expectations.

I cannot understand why Ivar got a new deal. No doubt he will be out for ages AGAIN. Don't get me wrong I rate him when fit & he is the best CB we have but that ain't saying much & he's never bloody fit!

If cloth cutting was the aim he would have been number 1 on my list to get rid of as I'm guessing he is the highest earner at the club. Perhaps his wages have been somewhat 'modified' to reflect his contsant injury issues but I reckon he is still on a fair whack of cash.

If we got him off the wage bill plus did a deal with Rovers to only pay 50-60% of Zurab's wages I'm guessing we would not be far off from nil cost.

Why did we not do this?!

Having said all that, we all had a whinge about lack of spending etc last time but still managed to finish 9th even when a total chump was in charge until Dec so I'm not giving up on us just yet.

I do think a Mills Pearce CB pairing is not good enough to mount a serious promotion challenge - mid table at best. We will leak goals every game (except Swansea LOL)Think they are both pretty shit TBH. Mills is an arrogant little twunt though so maybe my hatred of him gets in the way of forming an unbiased opinion!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Aug 2010 18:35

Focher just a couple without reading everything.

Fair enough, I'll give you NR's outburst, but I think that's the only one, apart from floyds put up or shut up comment (which isn't really bashing but just fair comment). You can't have Finerains as that was posted after you did!!!!

As long as you were directing it at mine or the other reasonable posts by the likes of andrew then I won't be offended!

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 10 Aug 2010 18:56

I just get the feeling these days that Reading FC is pretty far down JMs list of priorities financially. It’s not doing bad, not doing well.

Any spare cash generated by his companies, including RFC PLC, is being invested elsewhere in his empire.

We are not, I believe, going to see any investment in players that will rock the boat financially.

The rhetoric that annually spills out about Premiership ambitions is what you can hear from probably 50% of chairmen in the Championship, and to be fair to him, he can say little else.

He has not invested any of his personnel wealth supporting the club for several (5?) seasons now and I don’t expect that to change.

We might see a few loan players arriving but that’s about it.

My prediction for the season? Mid table or might sneak the play offs

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 10 Aug 2010 18:56

couldn't STAR organise some cake sales or sumin' to help raise some dosh?!

if they loved the club like us, they would

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 10 Aug 2010 18:58

Can anybody confirm the date by which the Prem clubs have to declare their squads? I suspect there may well be some decent players casting around for new clubs after that date (which must surely be before the end of the transfer window). This glut of players is also likely to drive their cost and wages down. So it makes sens for the moment to sit on our hands, plead poverty, and wait. Only if we let that opportunity pass us by will I be seriously worried as to our prospects for the season. :?

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 10 Aug 2010 19:06

Upper West Ginger Can anybody confirm the date by which the Prem clubs have to declare their squads? I suspect there may well be some decent players casting around for new clubs after that date (which must surely be before the end of the transfer window). This glut of players is also likely to drive their cost and wages down. So it makes sens for the moment to sit on our hands, plead poverty, and wait. Only if we let that opportunity pass us by will I be seriously worried as to our prospects for the season. :?

I heard that they have to submit the actual 25 September 1st.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 10 Aug 2010 19:29

Northern Git I just get the feeling these days that Reading FC is pretty far down JMs list of priorities financially. It’s not doing bad, not doing well.

Any spare cash generated by his companies, including RFC PLC, is being invested elsewhere in his empire.

We are not, I believe, going to see any investment in players that will rock the boat financially.

The rhetoric that annually spills out about Premiership ambitions is what you can hear from probably 50% of chairmen in the Championship, and to be fair to him, he can say little else.

He has not invested any of his personnel wealth supporting the club for several (5?) seasons now and I don’t expect that to change.

We might see a few loan players arriving but that’s about it.

My prediction for the season? Mid table or might sneak the play offs

Im not too sure it is about the investment - we know the economic climate, we know the impacts on football clubs ...but as Royal Lady and a few others have already said on here, Chairman needs to step into a cold shower, and realise that the likelihood of getting back to premiership is remote, given the financial restraints he himself has applied, and not to bleat on about this squad is ready to take club to Premier League...a bit of realism from the chairman would go a long way to getting others on his side

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 10 Aug 2010 19:31

Madejski out, well run my ar$e.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 10 Aug 2010 19:36

The thing that pisses me off the most is we (both the club and some idiots on here) say we're a 'well-run' club. How can you spend as little as we did when we went up, sell the amount of players we did without replacing them and have a squad full of players on low contracts having come through the youth system, get rid of 3 coaching staff's wages and not replace them in December last year and STILL not be able to afford to bring in a centre back on a free and have to sell MORE players. Madejski's bleeding the club dry and needs to leave, he's undoing all the excellent work he did in his previous years at the club with absolute short-sightedness verging on complete stupidity since we went up in 2006.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 10 Aug 2010 19:40

brendywendy
Sarah Star But you can reach the Prem without spending money. Isn't that what Reading have done in the past and what Blackpool did last season? You can have ambition if you spend wisely...

though obviously if you have the money to buy in proven talent you would hope you stood a more solid chance of promotion but that's by no means guaranteed and risky if you fail and can't fund the fallout from it.

agreed

05/06 team cost <5 million to assemble, the most expensive of which was the 1 million pound gift of lita from JM

Shall we take back all the awards Madejski got for these 'gifts' then seeing as he's taking them back? He didn't benefit at all from celebrity status and all the honours he got when we went up? How naive some people are...

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Aug 2010 19:52

The daft old coot is scared of promotion because he knows that it will mean having to spend more on players salaries, bonuses, cars etc and he hates the thought of anyone being successful like him. He wants to be top dog. He does not want some fancy dan Bertie Big-Bollox footballer to have a flashier set of wheels than him.
Last edited by Terminal Boardom on 10 Aug 2010 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Aug 2010 19:53

Royalee Madejski out, well run my ar$e.

WTF :shock: I agree with Royalee about something. I need a lie down! :lol:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Aug 2010 19:54

No cash?

Rubbish!

Coppell meant it in all serious honesty when he said there's cash to spend but he just couldn't be bothered....

He didn't spend it so the cash is still just sitting there....

Even moreso now after massive sales,, parachutes etc...

OK point has been made again and again. I'll stop rubbing it into the naive idiots who believed this club BS... :P

723 posts