Back from the Game - Burnley

128 posts
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Game - Burnley

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Jan 2011 19:33

floyd__streete
Pat Butchers Ring As for the atmosphere, pathetic. It started with that death march music they play before the game.

Have to agree. I remarked at the time that the music sounded like the kind of crap they pipe in when you're queuing for a roller coaster at Alton Towers.

Apart from the music, the atmosphere was quite good.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 03 Jan 2011 19:34

Tilehurst Blue Harte just couldn't keep up today, got ran past majority of the time.

By who? Tyrone Mears. Where was McAnuff tracking back? 10 yards behind the run. Eagles continually dropped off Harte and with McAnuff continually too far up the pitch Harte had a choice - stay dropped and leave eagles with oodles of space to start a run or put in a ball over the top, or puch up on Harte and leave space in behind him. Harte chose to push up, and I'm of the opinion that this was exactly the right thing to do as Eagles is too dangerous a player to leave along. It is perfectly clear that McAnuff's tendency to stay further upfield is an aspect of our setup that Burnley looked to exploit and exploit it they did to great effect. People who blame Harte for this, and solely Harte, in my opinion are people who have no clue how to read what is actually happening in a game and instead look at the isolated incident - in this case a number of free crosses in Harte's area of the pitch - instead of looking at the bigger picture - what are other players doing to influence the move in a build-up.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Jan 2011 19:35

handbags_harris
Tilehurst Blue Harte just couldn't keep up today, got ran past majority of the time.

By who? Tyrone Mears. Where was McAnuff tracking back? 10 yards behind the run. Eagles continually dropped off Harte and with McAnuff continually too far up the pitch Harte had a choice - stay dropped and leave eagles with oodles of space to start a run or put in a ball over the top, or puch up on Harte and leave space in behind him. Harte chose to push up, and I'm of the opinion that this was exactly the right thing to do as Eagles is too dangerous a player to leave along. It is perfectly clear that McAnuff's tendency to stay further upfield is an aspect of our setup that Burnley looked to exploit and exploit it they did to great effect. People who blame Harte for this, and solely Harte, in my opinion are people who have no clue how to read what is actually happening in a game and instead look at the isolated incident - in this case a number of free crosses in Harte's area of the pitch - instead of looking at the bigger picture - what are other players doing to influence the move in a build-up.

In the 2nd half, Eagles was left 1 on 1 with Harte on numerous occasions and got the better of him every time.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 03 Jan 2011 19:38

LoyalRoyalFan
handbags_harris

In the 2nd half, Eagles was left 1 on 1 with Harte on numerous occasions and got the better of him every time.

Well forgive me if I disagree with you because I simply cannot remember Chris Eagles getting in behind Harte at all, let alone getting crosses in.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Jan 2011 19:42

He doesn't get into them, he stands off far too much.
Whenever he comes up against a fast winger, it gets worse and worse. His worst performance was at Bristol City this season where I don't think he did 1 good thing and was subsequently subbed off.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 03 Jan 2011 19:46

Just seen the goals on SSN, first one is very good, Long shows great composure. The defender (Carlisle?) takes an absolute age to chase him.

The second was a good header, but poor marking from Burnley.

We maybe were lucky to win that game, on another day, we would have drawn or lost.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 03 Jan 2011 19:47

Anyone else think mcanuff looked a bit disinterested today? Few good runs, but wandered around aimlessly alot and could not be bothered to defend. He cuts inside too much when I would like to see him racing down the wings more!

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 03 Jan 2011 19:50

muddyfeet Anyone else think mcanuff looked a bit disinterested today? Few good runs, but wandered around aimlessly alot and could not be bothered to defend. He cuts inside too much when I would like to see him racing down the wings more!

Yep. Not sure whether it was down to being disinterested though. Thought it was more a case of being out of sorts.

yappy

by yappy » 03 Jan 2011 20:06

One of Longs best games, in my opinion. Apart from the goals he won plenty of headers, chased the defenders all game and mostly importantly he showed really class hold up play today, getting the ball under control and always looking for the right pass. That can't be said of Noel Hunt, who I think had a pretty poor game. Struggled to control the ball, and gets caught in possession quite often, but with the current fixture pile up he may be struggling for fitness somewhat.

Jobi looked out of sorts, maybe hes still under the weather? He really didnt want to dribble down the left today, he looked alot more comfortable in the middle today, and seemed to look alot more confident when he made a few runs down the right later in the game. Agree with most posters in that Harte looked pretty poor today, but to be fair to the lad he won't come up against many better than Eagles and Mears in this league.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jan 2011 20:06

Who Moved The Goalposts?
muddyfeet Anyone else think mcanuff looked a bit disinterested today? Few good runs, but wandered around aimlessly alot and could not be bothered to defend. He cuts inside too much when I would like to see him racing down the wings more!

Yep. Not sure whether it was down to being disinterested though. Thought it was more a case of being out of sorts.

Me too. I thought it looked as though he hadn't fully recovered from whatever illness he had. That having been said, I thought he battled well when he was moved into a central midfield position and he and 'Legs' showed Harte how to deal with Eagles.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 03 Jan 2011 20:14

Did Howard play today? No...

Ah right...que all the slating of Harte then... :roll:

HH is right about what Harte does well...he also provides a much better outlet than Armstrong or Williams and can get forward more than them aswell...

I thought the player who should be getting the slating today would have been Kebe...woeful, lazy and looked disinterested...the left back was easily beatable and Kebe of the 2nd half of last season would have roasted the guy....but instead today he wasn't interested and needlessly got booked for squaring up to Wallace.. :roll: and then squandered the 2 scoring opportunities, which 'old' Kebe in-form would have scored...
Last edited by Turns8 on 03 Jan 2011 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Jan 2011 20:14

Handbags, you're reading of the left-side defence is spot on. Well done!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jan 2011 20:18

Turns8 Did Howard play today? No...

Ah right...que or the slating of Harte then... :roll:

HH is right about what Harte does well...he also provides a much better outlet than Armstrong .

You have to be joking!! Armstrong is far better and I would give Cummings another go at left back when we come up against teams with pacey wingers.

If Howard was playing I would still express concern about Harte. He is not good enough at left back for a team that wants to contend for promotion from the Championship and even his much vaunted dead ball skills have been too often lacking from games.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 03 Jan 2011 20:19

Hey fellas for those who manage to watch live matches a damn site more than I do, what has happened to Alex Pearce ? after many comments on here during the early season matches were always critisising him for his lack of pace and errors during a match he now appears to be "rock solid", is it McD weaving his magic again ?

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 03 Jan 2011 20:22

Another point to add...Burnley played 5 in midfield...and then overlapping full-backs which often meant we were getting heavily over-run and doubled up on..which explains the gaps...Grif got caught out as much as Harte did in the first half tbh...

Second half Burnley ran out of gas...and we were able to impose ourselves on the game...with a fair few breakaways..

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2011 20:22

Snowball Handbags, you're reading of the left-side defence is spot on. Well done!

You and I are the only two people in the crowd who felt that way-let's have a love-in.
said Snowball to Handbags.

Poor old Jobi and then in the second half poor old Leigertwood had to cover for the geriatric.
Harte is starting to look in the Meaker class of signing.
Past it and like Brian's other left-back signing Williams not good enough.
Is Armstrong injured again?

As for the game ,a typical Championship game with defenders often nowhere to be seen and could have ended about 6-6.
Our best player-Dean Marney.
Good entertainment but as Burnley showed last season both teams would be embarrassing in The Premiership-neither can defend well enough nor finish well enough.
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 03 Jan 2011 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 03 Jan 2011 20:25

Pearce is still slow but his positioning is so much better and he seems to panic less. Feel safer with him on the ball than mills anyway!

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 03 Jan 2011 20:28

RoyalBlue

HH is right about what Harte does well...he also provides a much better outlet than Armstrong .

You have to be joking!! Armstrong is far better and I would give Cummings another go at left back when we come up against teams with pacey wingers.

If Howard was playing I would still express concern about Harte. He is not good enough at left back for a team that wants to contend for promotion from the Championship and even his much vaunted dead ball skills have been too often lacking from games.

Nope I'm deadly serious...Harte is in the side to stabilise the back four with his experience...Armstrong is not far better and Cummings is only an emergency left back...

As for not getting stuck in and standing off wingers... :roll: if you dive in against a tricky winger they will rinse you and be away...at least by standing off them and showing them the line you are limiting what they can do to attack you...Can't remember Eagles getting any crosses in today...

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2011 20:33

Turns8
RoyalBlue

Nope I'm deadly serious...Harte is in the side to stabilise the back four with his experience...Armstrong is not far better and Cummings is only an emergency left back...

As for not getting stuck in and standing off wingers... :roll: if you dive in against a tricky winger they will rinse you and be away...at least by standing off them and showing them the line you are limiting what they can do to attack you...Can't remember Eagles getting any crosses in today...

ffs did you not see with about 15 minutes to go Eagles strode unchallenged past Harte and crossed to the far past where the ball was headed back to Marney for a tap-in and he somehow missed?

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 03 Jan 2011 20:37

Victor Meldrew
Turns8

ffs did you not see with about 15 minutes to go Eagles strode unchallenged past Harte and crossed to the far past where the ball was headed back to Marney for a tap-in and he somehow missed?

One incident at the tail end of the game :roll: what about Marney on the right hand side in the 1st half...don't see anyone slating Grif for that one...both full-backs are in the side to add experience and we don't concede many goals...which is a miracle really when you consider Pearce and Mills in the defensive mix...

128 posts