won't need the play offs we will get automatic promotion
No votes

Total votes: 89
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: will we make play offs

by Snowball » 09 Feb 2011 07:15

Mike Hunt
Last year we also had Kebe on the top of his game... have only seen glimpses of that form this year.

True. He just doesn't seem to be quite there any more

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 Feb 2011 10:15

Also last year, Bertrand's contribution as an attacking full back brought the best out of the wide man that he was overlapping, whether it was Sigurdsson before he came infield from the left and played behind the striker, or McAnuff or Kebe who sometimes swapped flanks.

Bertrand certainly brought the best out of McAnuff. McAnuff was a far greater threat when he had Bertrand helping him out. Harte is lovely on the free kicks but he is not an attacking full back in the same mould as Bertrand and Shorey before him.

So really you can say that this year, we don't have Gylfi's match winning moments. We don't have Bertrand's penetration. And losing Bertrand has taken the edge off McAnuff and of course Kebe has lost some of his edge this year as well. All of these factors combined has made it more difficult for us to open teams up, score enough goals and win enough matches. That is why we are drawing too many.

At least the defence has remained similarly solid as the second half of last year as we rarely lose. We just can't win often enough.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 09 Feb 2011 11:49

So if Kebe does show more of this form might that be enough to close the 6 point gap to the playoffs?

I think we have a solid base but there is much more to come from this team. Kebe and McAnuff are capable of far more, Church, Robson-Kanu and Antonio should blossom eventually, Armstrong will be getting fitter, Pearce and Mills look better, Ivar is now fit, Shane is on fire and we have an unbeaten big holding midfielder who dictates the game. None of this has really come off before Christmas.

I think we will certainly improve over the next 17 games, which should see us into 6th.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Feb 2011 12:31

Could someone with a better memory than me who saw most of the games at the end of last season (Handbags) say whether we played 4-5-1 at that point still?

I have a theory that Kebe's scoring form comes form that formation and he produces far less end product in a 4-4-2.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 Feb 2011 12:38

basically Ian, if Sigurdsson was playing under mcdermott we were playing 4-5-1. Although I'd have described it as 4-2-3-1.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Feb 2011 12:43

ZacNaloen basically Ian, if Sigurdsson was playing under mcdermott we were playing 4-5-1. Although I'd have described it as 4-2-3-1.

That's what I thought and I'd agree on the actual formation... it's just quicker to type 4-5-1 and is more easily understandable by some of the less clued up on here. And it would seem to support my theory that Kebe performs best in a more advanced wide attacking role with more ability to drift and attack the box. Compared to his 4-4-2 role which is less advanced and has more emphasis on feeding the strikers.

Which is why I don't think we'll see a particularly big increase in goal productivity from Kebe whilst we stay in a 4-4-2.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Feb 2011 10:01

No - we don't have enough quality up front to score enough goals to win enough games.

Basically, the same issue we have had all season.

We will finish between 8th and 12th.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 10 Feb 2011 13:09

Mr Angry No - we don't have enough quality up front to score enough goals to win enough games.

Ditto

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 10 Feb 2011 13:55

don't we have three of the best quality attacking players in the league in Long, Kebe and McAnuff?

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 10 Feb 2011 14:16

Mr Angry No - we don't have enough quality up front to score enough goals to win enough games.

Agreed, which is why the signings of Williams and Mansatt clearly showed our ambition for the season.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Feb 2011 14:50

:roll:

RAF Royal

by RAF Royal » 10 Feb 2011 16:21

Newbie warning!!! So I'll start by telling myself to Oxford off. Now that's out of the way I'll apologise for taking so long to join - saw my first game in late-60s (I was very young - beat Torquay 4-0), was there for the 2-1 Cup defeat to Arsenal in 1970(?) and got married on the same date 24 years later (okay, it was an accident!), have been a Reading man all my life but my job (clue is in the name) stops me from seeing as many games as I would like. I'm not a plastic and definitely not a cnut. Spent half the last 20 years living in Scotland, reading Hobnob from afar, not to mention 2 years in Germany and now Afghanistan. Good news - probably won't see another game this season - and that's good because we lost all 3 I saw before coming here. The last was Bristol City away - and we were poor. That seemed to be the low-point of the season so far; no striker on song, no Plan B and not much hope. We've looked up since then, but we're simply not good enough against the better teams ... yet. Optimistic for next year, but this year just glad not to lose too many heartbeats living in the bottom half like last season. Solidly safe, solidly not seriously threatening the play-offs. Just looking forward to a good draw in the 6th round of the Cup, now that we have Manset to help us through. :D [/b][/b]

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 10 Feb 2011 16:50

RAF Royal Newbie warning!!! So I'll start by telling myself to Oxford off. Now that's out of the way I'll apologise for taking so long to join - saw my first game in late-60s (I was very young - beat Torquay 4-0), was there for the 2-1 Cup defeat to Arsenal in 1970(?) and got married on the same date 24 years later (okay, it was an accident!), have been a Reading man all my life but my job (clue is in the name) stops me from seeing as many games as I would like. I'm not a plastic and definitely not a cnut. Spent half the last 20 years living in Scotland, reading Hobnob from afar, not to mention 2 years in Germany and now Afghanistan. Good news - probably won't see another game this season - and that's good because we lost all 3 I saw before coming here. The last was Bristol City away - and we were poor. That seemed to be the low-point of the season so far; no striker on song, no Plan B and not much hope. We've looked up since then, but we're simply not good enough against the better teams ... yet. Optimistic for next year, but this year just glad not to lose too many heartbeats living in the bottom half like last season. Solidly safe, solidly not seriously threatening the play-offs. Just looking forward to a good draw in the 6th round of the Cup, now that we have Manset to help us through. :D [/b][/b]

Oxford off!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Feb 2011 17:49

Be safe in Afghanistan buddy......

Where abouts are you based? Camp Bastion?

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 10 Feb 2011 19:56

RAF Royal I'm not a plastic and definitely not a cnut.

That makes one of us then... ;)

Good story and welcome to hobnob!

I think we are going to catch fire soon and we will be in the playoffs!

RAF Royal

by RAF Royal » 11 Feb 2011 04:17

Thank you Gordons! And I'm a REMF this time Top Flight - safe up in the capital. Would rather be nearer the fight!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Feb 2011 09:20

Top Flight Be safe in Afghanistan buddy......

?

THIS^^^^^

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 11 Feb 2011 14:32

RAF Royal Thank you Gordons! And I'm a REMF this time Top Flight - safe up in the capital. Would rather be nearer the fight!

So what is life like in Kabul? Are there things to do? Places to go out to for a meal?

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 11 Feb 2011 16:10

I don't think we will make the play-offs. I reckon throughout the whole season the play-offs we will be just out of reach. To be honest I would rather see us have no chance of the play-offs earlier and throw a few youngsters in.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 11 Feb 2011 17:43

Which youngsters would you blood?

154 posts