Silence for Robert Sebbage?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

Re: Silence for Robert Sebbage?

by Svlad Cjelli » 04 Aug 2011 18:38

PEARCEY It doesn't hurt anyone by having a minute's silence so whats the big deal? The lad was murdered at the age of 18. Its pretty unusual and its very different from someone dying of natural causes.
I don't have a problem with it at all.

As a one-off nor do I - but where does it end? Is it just for supporters murdered? Or just season ticket holders murdered? How about a murder of someone who was murdered and didn't have a season ticket but went to all the matches? Or what about an 18-year-old season ticket holder who dies in a terrible car crash? There are all sorts of similar examples.

I'm not trying to belittle the tragedy, and I'm certainly not trying to disrespect Robert, but I honestly think that minutes' silence/applause at football matches should be restricted only to people directly involved with the football club (players, managers, coaches, significant directors, etc).

Because once you start having tributes for supporters, no matter how tragic the circumstances of their death, you'll find yourself having quite a few each season and they'll start to be completely meaningless.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 04 Aug 2011 18:39

Royal Lady If you don't want to join in, stand down in the concourse or something. :roll:

For the 94 millionth time, you've spectacularly missed the point. The reasons have been nicely articulated by Svlad and Floyd. I don't think anyone is suggesting they wouldn't respect it if it a did happen.

IMHO, minutes silences should only be for significant former players, managers and staff.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Aug 2011 18:40

3 on the bounce!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Aug 2011 18:42

Echo that from RR and Dirk.

I'd also say its for the club and family to decide to suggest there should be one, not random people off the internet. I will be happy to abide by their decision, even if I consider it to be the wrong one. I suspect however, that they'll make, what I consider to be, the right decision.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Aug 2011 18:43

Svlad Cjelli If this goes much further, some-one is going to have to decide what the age cut-off point is for football club recognition. At what age is your death not important enough to have a ceremony?

I can't disagree in that we have too many of these events and have no knowledge of the exact circumstances in which this appalling tragedy took place but surely someone of any age being brutally murdered is more worthy of public sympathy than those who die of natural causes.

Frankly, I was happy to applaud the memory of Alan Ball and unless there are good reasons of which I'm not aware, can we really ignore the passing of a young kid who never returned from holiday and chose to leave this world in an RFC coffin? I can think of several other silences I would swap this one for.

manny96

by manny96 » 04 Aug 2011 18:48

A really sad story. But I'm not sure a minute's silence is necessarily warranted for the reasons already stated. I'd say the players wearing a black armband would be more appropriate and if fans feel moved enough to do so, they can as well.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 04 Aug 2011 19:06

It's a personal thing and has absolutely fuck all to do with any mong posting on an internet forum. Also, ask yourselves, can you really expect Millwall fans to respect a minutes silence, applause or other so-called tribute?

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 04 Aug 2011 19:15

There really are some morons on here.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 04 Aug 2011 19:43

Terminal Boardom It's a personal thing and has absolutely fuck all to do with any mong posting on an internet forum. Also, ask yourselves, can you really expect Millwall fans to respect a minutes silence, applause or other so-called tribute?

Yep, pre- slag them off for jeering something that probably won't happen.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 04 Aug 2011 19:51

the royals like to do things bigger and better, put on a show etc etc. 90 minutes silence against millwall should do it.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 04 Aug 2011 20:25

PEARCEY It doesn't hurt anyone by having a minute's silence so whats the big deal? The lad was murdered at the age of 18. Its pretty unusual and its very different from someone dying of natural causes.

+1

In the 20 or so years i've been following Reading i can't remember a similar story about another fan (apologies in advance if i have forgotten any).

It's a unique set of circumstances, hardly likely to be repeated every week. The kid clearly loved the club so i for one have no problem with whatever the club ( and family) decide to do to pay their respects.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 04 Aug 2011 20:38

Seal

+1

In the 20 or so years i've been following Reading i can't remember a similar story about another fan (apologies in advance if i have forgotten any).

It's a unique set of circumstances, hardly likely to be repeated every week. The kid clearly loved the club so i for one have no problem with whatever the club ( and family) decide to do to pay their respects.

+1

Minute's silence or not, I'll be thinking of him come kick off.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Aug 2011 20:47

Back the boys man Paul Allen (if that's his name) to mention his sad passing in his rallying war cry, demanding an extra roar and clap from the supporters and job done!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Aug 2011 21:19

paultheroyal Back the boys man Paul Allen (if that's his name) to mention his sad passing in his rallying war cry, demanding an extra roar and clap from the supporters and job done!

I think thats a bit tacky Paul.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 04 Aug 2011 21:22

I'm sure his family will feel more at ease with their loss after that kunt shouts his name out and gets everyone to shout URZ after it.

Pete10

by Pete10 » 04 Aug 2011 23:47

Rest in peace .

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 05 Aug 2011 00:09

Club Policies :arrow:

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 05 Aug 2011 00:20

IN for having a RFC coffin when I die.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 05 Aug 2011 01:06

Always sad when I young life is lost like this, and as none of us were there we don't know what actually happened and nor should we speculate, even if in photos he looked a bit of a chav. I would say that a minutes silence is not appropriate or warranted in this case and should be reserved for long serving players and members of staff only. Lets face it, if it wasn't for the circumstances of his death, would any of us even have known who he was , let a lone he was dead? We don't have a minutes silence when other supporters pass on without any media attention, so it should be the same for him.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Aug 2011 01:10

sorry this is all getting a bit Lady Di.

My old man died last year - he was a Reading fan, his death was violent and unpleasant (he had a massive stroke that finally killed him 7 days later)

Why no 1 minute silence?

Get a grip ffs. You'll be wanting Elton John on as the team comes on next.