Biggest away attendance

Northern Git

Re: Biggest away attendance

by Northern Git » 04 Jun 2012 13:28

Jerry St Clair Fulham away in 1993.

On a Sunday lunchtime. We filled the Putney End which had a capacity of around 3,500. There were hundreds locked out many of whomm just went in the Hammersmith End. Unusually for the Met, they were quite sensible about it and just formed a rudimentary line of segregation down the terrace. There were plenty of other Royals dotted around the ground in the seats as well. Back in those days, 4,000 was pretty much our entire home support.

My first away game supporting the Royals :) Great day out, still my favourite awayday - cannot wait for our visit this season

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 04 Jun 2012 16:05

Re: Bournemouth away. Designated driver from MK/Bucks - you know who you are - was blagged into dressing up as a pirate because we told him it was last away game of the season. Biggest LOLs in the boozer in Ringwood. Oh, and it was wet and the Bournemouth massive got all tetchy and Kirbs scored a tap-in. Ha, ha, me heartieees!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 04 Jun 2012 20:29

We took nowhere some of the figures touted for Wigan Away in the play offs. 4000 tops.
I was part of about 40 away fans for a Tuesday night at Feethams in 92. Heaving.

How many did we take to Newport in 85?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Jun 2012 20:33

Tony Le Mesmer We took nowhere some of the figures touted for Wigan Away in the play offs. 4000 tops.
I was part of about 40 away fans for a Tuesday night at Feethams in 92. Heaving.

Newport 85, ah the memories!

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 05 Jun 2012 00:27

FiNeRaIn
No Fixed Abode
Fluff Bournemouth away, on a wet Thursday night. We took a few down for that.

I was there for that too! mark mckeever season. :lol:

Same, was a great night that one. Would have thought we took more to oxford around the same time when they replaced their goalie and lee hodges scored.

" whose been eating GM foods".....back in the good days.

Hahahaha....

"Are you really worse than him?!"

That was the day my mate got a burger from the van, opened it up, and found it to be green..... He lobbed it over the back of the stand and promptly had to visit the toilets 2 minutes into the game :)

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 05 Jun 2012 00:29

who are ya? How many did we take to Ashton G8 for the 3-3 draw, I remember it feeling like we had far more than was actually there.

I got my leg stuck in between my seat that day... It hurt

Best away day EVER....

The loudest I've ever heard our fans - home or away....and the NOISE when those goals went in....deafening! I was stood next to the guy who jumped up when our second goal went in, just as a steward was bending down to tell him to calm down - clash of heads, steward knocked out, matey next to me couldn't have cared less :)

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 05 Jun 2012 03:24

savage 4 england Last 10 years would probably be at Highbury, not sure about all time.

think so as we took 7000, though Bournemouth away was high - offically we had 1/2 the ground but it was nearer 2/3rd of the ground - about 5500 - pretty sure we also took about this to Man city away (2-0 win in 1st season) - i was there and we did take alot, think we requested extra tickets

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 05 Jun 2012 03:25

Caskeys Lovechild
who are ya? How many did we take to Ashton G8 for the 3-3 draw, I remember it feeling like we had far more than was actually there.

Best away day EVER....

The loudest I've ever heard our fans - home or away....and the NOISE when those goals went in....deafening! I was stood next to the guy who jumped up when our second goal went in, just as a steward was bending down to tell him to calm down - clash of heads, steward knocked out, matey next to me couldn't have cared less :)

yep
Last edited by royalsteve on 05 Jun 2012 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 05 Jun 2012 03:31

yep and 00's ended up serving themselves in a pub

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Jun 2012 18:56

royalsteve
savage 4 england Last 10 years would probably be at Highbury, not sure about all time.

think so as we took 7000, though Bournemouth away was high - offically we had 1/2 the ground but it was nearer 2/3rd of the ground - about 5500 - pretty sure we also took about this to Man city away (2-0 win in 1st season) - i was there and we did take alot, think we requested extra tickets

the total crowd was 6500. There's no way they only had 1000 fans.

The away end held 2000. I can't see that narrow side terrace holding 3500.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 05 Jun 2012 20:43

Proportionally, we had 1100 out of a crowd of 1900 at Underhill, after having an initial allocation of 900 increased as Barnet had already been relegated.Not sure of the year around 96ish. We actually pulled in to Barnet station car park when the game was postponed earlier in the year. The 800 Barnet fans completely out sung us that night!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 06 Jun 2012 17:29

Tony Le Mesmer We took nowhere some of the figures touted for Wigan Away in the play offs. 4000 tops.

Me too. Conroy Hat-Trick in the snow?

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 06 Jun 2012 20:53

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
royalsteve

the total crowd was 6500. There's no way they only had 1000 fans.

The away end held 2000. I can't see that narrow side terrace holding 3500.

thought it was higher, but did have the away end and right side and quite a few in the home end - mind you bournemouth genuinely didnt have many fans there at all

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 07 Jun 2012 11:38

Royal With Cheese

Me too. Conroy Hat-Trick in the snow?

(Sell) Craig Maskell Hat-trick. In the snow. Ive got footage of the game off Meridian. It genuinely looks like we had about 8 fans at the game.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 07 Jun 2012 13:48

Maskell, how time addles the brain.

yep. That's two of us accounted for. I know at least 3 others. Just 3 to go then!

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 10 Jun 2012 21:17

We took thousands to Fulham in premier league in 2006. Any one know the true figure?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 11 Jun 2012 11:15

I think it was around 4.5k of a 6.5k crowd.

That was a great day out!

It was such a shame due to the TV strike at the time we never got the coverage we deserved.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 11 Jun 2012 15:19

royalsteve

yep and 00's ended up serving themselves in a pub

I was there for that. Remember a Reading fan running on the pitch and putting the ball in the net. Sure it was Mark McKeevers last game for Reading too.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 13 Jun 2012 11:05

Caskeys Lovechild

Best away day EVER....

I must have been stood near you. The steward was ok, but pretty shaken up. The Head Steward came over to the area we were standing. We feared the worst but he just said "You can stand, but please don't stand on the seats, and try not to jump around so much". Top man.

I've never known celebrations like it. Absolutely radio rental. Particularly after the third goal. I felt like I'd run a marathon.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 13 Jun 2012 12:41

Jerry St Clair
Caskeys Lovechild

Best away day EVER....

I must have been stood near you. The steward was ok, but pretty shaken up. The Head Steward came over to the area we were standing. We feared the worst but he just said "You can stand, but please don't stand on the seats, and try not to jump around so much". Top man.

I've never known celebrations like it. Absolutely radio rental. Particularly after the third goal. I felt like I'd run a marathon.

I remember listening to Geoff Twentyman's phone-in on BBC Radio Bristol on the way home after that game. It got taken off the air for the announcement that the Queen Mother had died earlier in the day. I guess she never knew the final score.