would you care.....

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: would you care.....

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Nov 2011 19:05

melonhead i think JM needs to know that we dont care if he sells naming rights

Speak for yourself.

I can think of a lot of people who would rather not play in the Waitrose Stadium.

I am finding this attitude from modern day football fans more and more disturbing. Anything to get a few quid in...balls to heritage, history, tradition,etc

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Nov 2011 19:06

floyd__streete Without getting all 'St Paul's' about this - is nothing sacred? I can just about toler8 shirts adorned with faceless corporate sponsors and the stands themselves carrying the name of whichever firm wants to get on the bandwagon.....but surely football fandom must partly be about identity, the home ground is 'our' little fortress and to have it named Prudential Park or some godforsaken tie-in. Just horrible, and it is surely one step away from the club itself being renamed 'Miscrosoft Reading FC' or whatever.

Doesn't seem to have done PSV any harm

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Nov 2011 19:10

They've been called that since they were founded in 1913, its their history and tradition. But don't let that get in the way.

Not to mention theyve had the same shirt sponsor since 1982. Fantastic club.

mx

by mx » 10 Nov 2011 19:57

Svlad Cjelli Depends on the company.

As long is wasn't a brand that I objected (e.g. the "Selling Cancer Sticks to Third-World Children", "Landmines R Us " or "Exploiting the Poor & Desperate with Extortionate Loans" etc) I'd just not care.

This. Its different for us, as we have already sold our naming rights, as someone has said.

If someone had wanted to change the name of Elm Park, I would have felt very different.

It'll be a long time before Newcastle fans stop calling their ground St James Park, and rightly so.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 10 Nov 2011 20:55

On a similar but related theme I always thought it was a bit of a shame we lost the nickname The Biscuitmen. It was one of the few nicknames in the league that had real character and, let's face it, The Royals is about the the most characterless, unimaginative name one could possibly think of. As for the stadium I can't stand the name Mad Stad but, in the final analysis, I couldn't really care less.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Nov 2011 21:36

FiNeRaIn

Speak for yourself.

I can think of a lot of people who would rather not play in the Waitrose Stadium.

I am finding this attitude from modern day football fans more and more disturbing. Anything to get a few quid in...balls to heritage, history, tradition,etc

not just talking for myself, but for the vast massive majority of the people on this thread so far.

seems to me that since we dont have years and years of history at this stadium holding us back, and the vast majority dont have any great love or gratitude for the chairman, and want to see millions of pounds that we dont have blown on players and wages, that selling the naming rights to a cool company(not waitrose) would be an ideal solution to many of our supposed problems

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Nov 2011 21:37

Cripple Creek On a similar but related theme I always thought it was a bit of a shame we lost the nickname The Biscuitmen. It was one of the few nicknames in the league that had real character and, let's face it, The Royals is about the the most characterless, unimaginative name one could possibly think of. As for the stadium I can't stand the name Mad Stad but, in the final analysis, I couldn't really care less.

one of the worst football nicknames ever- but i guess it was very individual, and did have "character"

manny96

by manny96 » 11 Nov 2011 13:19

FiNeRaIn They've been called that since they were founded in 1913, its their history and tradition. But don't let that get in the way.

Not to mention theyve had the same shirt sponsor since 1982. Fantastic club.

Agreed and it originated as a works team not just from sponsorship - like Bayer Leverkusen and a lot of other clubs. If we gave away some dumb corporate naming rights, I'd just make up some other name and use it until it catches on. Might take a while.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 11 Nov 2011 14:29

back on the puns

The Durex Arena

"where your safety comes first"

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 11 Nov 2011 14:46

Why does anyone think that the rebranding of Reading's stadium would be anything like as valuable as Newcastle's?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 11 Nov 2011 15:44

phil in cornwall Why does anyone think that the rebranding of Reading's stadium would be anything like as valuable as Newcastle's?

Why ever said it would?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2011 15:48

phil in cornwall Why does anyone think that the rebranding of Reading's stadium would be anything like as valuable as Newcastle's?

even if its 10 million over 5 years its better than nowt and would allow us to not have to sell our best players unless they want to go/bring in others, that people are so desperate to see

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 11 Nov 2011 15:50

melonhead but since the stadium is a new bowl, in a new place, named after a man who you all hate, would you really give a toss? especially if it meant 50 million quid going straight into the club for player sales/wages over 5 years etc?

... said it would.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2011 16:22

phil in cornwall
melonhead but since the stadium is a new bowl, in a new place, named after a man who you all hate, would you really give a toss? especially if it meant 50 million quid going straight into the club for player sales/wages over 5 years etc?

... said it would.

:roll:

plucking a number out of the air, using newcastles figure as an example, doesnt mean i thought thats what it would be :roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Nov 2011 16:42

melonhead if JM, or the man he eventualy sells to wanted to sell the naming rights to our stadium would you actualy care?
what if it was a cool company, and not waitrose etc?

i mean, if we had built a new stadium at elm park, and it was continued to be called that i could maybe understand some reluctance
but since the stadium is a new bowl, in a new place, named after a man who you all hate, would you really give a toss? especially if it meant 50 million quid going straight into the club for player sales/wages over 5 years etc?

i wouldnt- although i would prefer a decent company name at least

Other than his most devout followers, I can't see why anyone would worry about the Madejski name disappearing from the stadium and being replaced by a significant income earner. It should have happened years ago but, despite it not being his idea, the man clearly loves having his name publicised in this manner.

FiNeRaIn

Speak for yourself.

But is that brand any worse than the Madejski one? Personally I would rather buy and use Waitroses products - far better tasting! Also it would be quite nice to have two Hestons, although could do without Letsby Avenue.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 11 Nov 2011 16:52

I would rather is stayed the Madejski stadium. He put the effort in to build it and the club rightfully rewarded that with the naming, also its always been called that so I am used to it as are all the other fans in England. Its at least named after a part of our club.

I might not be madejski's biggest fan in the last few seasons but I still appreciate what he has done for the club in the long term and think it would be quite fitting if the ground is always called that. I'd rather we didn't sell ourselves out on this also.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2011 17:03

Other than his most devout followers, I can't see why anyone would worry about the Madejski name disappearing from the stadium and being replaced by a significant income earner. It should have happened years ago but, despite it not being his idea, the man clearly loves having his name publicised in this manner.

i am his most devout follower, and i am suggesting it

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 11 Nov 2011 18:43

FiNeRaIn I would rather is stayed the Madejski stadium. He put the effort in to build it and the club rightfully rewarded that with the naming, also its always been called that so I am used to it as are all the other fans in England. Its at least named after a part of our club.

I might not be madejski's biggest fan in the last few seasons but I still appreciate what he has done for the club in the long term and think it would be quite fitting if the ground is always called that. I'd rather we didn't sell ourselves out on this also.

Pretty much this really.Love him or hate him where would we have been without him

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 11 Nov 2011 23:50

I wonder how many people that do not like the stadium called after the chairman think that Palmer Park should also be renamed, after all George Palmer also did a lot for the town but people on here aren't calling for a renaming of the park.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Nov 2011 06:41

FiNeRaIn I would rather is stayed the Madejski stadium. He put the effort in to build it and the club rightfully rewarded that with the naming, also its always been called that so I am used to it as are all the other fans in England. Its at least named after a part of our club.

+1