Matthew Connolly Signs

138 posts
tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Matthew Connolly Signs

by tomrfcurz » 31 Jan 2012 11:41

Doubt he'd want in on a 5 month loan deal and not feature in the starting 11 on a regular basis.

On FM it says he can play LB as well so lets stick him there!

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 31 Jan 2012 11:41

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 92,00.html

Looks like that could be it for today...

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 31 Jan 2012 11:44

FiNeRaIn Good backup, but who are we signing to improve the woeful lack of goals and creativity in the side?

Agreed. We can sign all the back up we want, but unless we get some attacking flair we are going nowhere. That said, dropping your most likely creator of goals doesn't really help.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 11:46

chilipepper91 http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2594892,00.html

we were in for players who went to the prem instead?

were we really in for rhodes?? :shock:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 11:50

chilipepper91 http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2594892,00.html

Not impressed if true. Not particularly motivated to go and watch this current bunch with the one dimensional players lacking creativity on show. Yeah, im negative bla bla bla. But its absolute dross every week at the moment and a young unproven centre mid who derby were happy to let go on a free is not going to change the rhythm for our games, especially when on the bench. Connolly is a good backup signing, he may also play left back but thats not where we are struggling. Our back five is the most solid aspect about out team - the biggest weakness is the midfield by far and the one addition we've added there is NOWHERE near enough im afraid. Happy with roberts signings but lets be honest..he's not going to creative his own through balls and nod in his own crosses from the wing, why can't the management see the obvious weakness and one dimensional play of our midfield? Its really, really worrying.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 31 Jan 2012 11:51

We have no cover in central defense FineRain...

*Sorry, Had

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 11:53

ZacNaloen We have no cover in central defense FineRain...

*Sorry, Had

We did, we had morrison there and also khumalo. Both signed by the club to be cover. Its more important you get your first team sorted before your backup. Surely you understand this?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 31 Jan 2012 11:54

If we had an injury in defense would you really have been comfortable with a player who was shit at the beginning of the season and dropped from the team completely and a player who hasn't made a league start?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 11:55

dont go then!
i think we all know how you feel by now.dont need to repeat it.

cwfka i believe can play as an attacking midfielder, and looked decent in his ten minute debut
roberts can be the link between midfield and attack that can release our other strikers from their bonds of dullness.
now have a decent cover for anywhere across back 4- and one who could easily challenge pearce
plus sheppard
id say thats cracking business tbf

what would it have taken for you to be so excited you stopped whingeing?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Jan 2012 11:56

FiNeRaIn

Not impressed if true. Not particularly motivated to go and watch this current bunch with the one dimensional players lacking creativity on show. Yeah, im negative bla bla bla. But its absolute dross every week at the moment and a young unproven centre mid who derby were happy to let go on a free is not going to change the rhythm for our games, especially when on the bench. Connolly is a good backup signing, he may also play left back but thats not where we are struggling. Our back five is the most solid aspect about out team - the biggest weakness is the midfield by far and the one addition we've added there is NOWHERE near enough im afraid. Happy with roberts signings but lets be honest..he's not going to creative his own through balls and nod in his own crosses from the wing, why can't the management see the obvious weakness and one dimensional play of our midfield? Its really, really worrying.

Brian has already said that is it for now but was expecting to more business when the loan market re-opens. the premier league clubs have untill midnight fr squad registration any players left out wont get a game now till next season. This is when we might be more likely to get the bigger names in

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 11:56

ZacNaloen If we had an injury in defense would you really have been comfortable with a player who was shit at the beginning of the season and dropped from the team completely and a player who hasn't made a league start?

If it meant we might actually have someone who created chances for our strikers? absofvkinglutely. On the off chance there is an injury, we deal with it at the time. The problem is we don't create chances, that's not being addressed by signing backup to replace other dross backup we signed.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 11:56

FiNeRaIn
ZacNaloen We have no cover in central defense FineRain...

*Sorry, Had

We did, we had morrison there and also khumalo. Both signed by the club to be cover. Its more important you get your first team sorted before your backup. Surely you understand this?

lol- we have one of the best defences in the league, and the CB partnership is rocklike
what we didnt have and what we needed was decent cover now we have

surely you understand this

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 31 Jan 2012 11:57

FiNeRaIn

One thing about Connolly is that his distribution from the back is very good whenever I've seen him. Which is in stark contrast to the current defenders. It won't necessarily solve the creative problem in centre midfield but will certainly help to have better distribution from deep. And lets be honest neither Sidwell/Harper/Gunnarsson were particularly creative passers in 05/06. Cywka also gives us something the option of changing formation as well.

As I said before I really don't know what you were expecting to get given that the Russian takeover hasn't happened yet.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 11:57

FiNeRaIn
ZacNaloen If we had an injury in defense would you really have been comfortable with a player who was shit at the beginning of the season and dropped from the team completely and a player who hasn't made a league start?

If it meant we might actually have someone who created chances for our strikers? absofvkinglutely. On the off chance there is an injury, we deal with it at the time. The problem is we don't create chances, that's not being addressed by signing backup to replace other dross backup we signed.

cwfka

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 31 Jan 2012 11:58

melonhead dont go then!
i think we all know how you feel by now.dont need to repeat it.

what would it have taken for you to be so excited you stopped whingeing?

David Silva

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 11:59

melonhead
FiNeRaIn

cwfka

Sorry but no. He was released by derby, spent 10 mins on the wing and is not proven. Can you please stop repeating him like you think its valid?

We need a regular starter next to karacan who is going to create now, not someone for the future.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 11:59

Vision
FiNeRaIn

One thing about Connolly is that his distribution from the back is very good whenever I've seen him. Which is in stark contrast to the current defenders. It won't necessarily solve the creative problem in centre midfield but will certainly help to have better distribution from deep. And lets be honest neither Sidwell/Harper/Gunnarsson were particularly creative passers in 05/06. Cywka also gives us something the option of changing formation as well.

As I said before I really don't know what you were expecting to get given that the Russian takeover hasn't happened yet.

pearce has been bringing the ball out from the back brilliantly much more recently, and his passing has improved massively*

*apart from in games where we are under alot of pressure and the whole team start hoofing it

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 31 Jan 2012 12:00

Cywka is a good signing but if that is the only attacking minded midfield signing then i can't help but be a tad disappointed. Yes Roberts is a good signing, perhaps the best thus far, followed by Connolly who you just have to look at his QPR starts at his age (104 i believe) and at the level that was at (mainly in a very strong Championship side) you cannot grumble. I think he'll go at LB as i can't see him wanting to join too much if it was purely as cover.

We need another attacking minded player, simple as. And i will be disappointed if we don't have one by 11pm tonight. I know that reeks of a spoilt child using mummy and daddys money to excess but its the truth

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 12:00

tomrfcurz Cywka is a good signing but if that is the only attacking minded midfield signing then i can't help but be a tad disappointed. Yes Roberts is a good signing, perhaps the best thus far, followed by Connolly who you just have to look at his QPR starts at his age (104 i believe) and at the level that was at (mainly in a very strong Championship side) you cannot grumble. I think he'll go at LB as i can't see him wanting to join too much if it was purely as cover.

We need another attacking minded player, simple as. And i will be disappointed if we don't have one by 11pm tonight. I know that reeks of a spoilt child using mummy and daddys money to excess but its the truth

agreed. Someone who derby were happy to let go on a free won't solve our creativity problem instantly.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 12:01

FiNeRaIn
melonhead
FiNeRaIn If it meant we might actually have someone who created chances for our strikers? absofvkinglutely. On the off chance there is an injury, we deal with it at the time. The problem is we don't create chances, that's not being addressed by signing backup to replace other dross backup we signed.

cwfka

Sorry but no. He was released by derby, spent 10 mins on the wing and is not proven. Can you please stop repeating him like you think its valid?

We need a regular starter next to karacan who is going to create now, not someone for the future.

:lol:

we are competing already, have just strengthened all over the park,
and also have many years in which to build that champions league winning team

id say my assessment of him as being decent over ten minutes is about as good as yours saying hes rubbish.

138 posts