Murty retires

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Murty retires

by facaldaqui » 23 Feb 2012 13:51

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Didn't Murty cost £750k or something crazy? And didn't it take him over 2 years to actually break into the squad after they found he had one leg much shorter than the other?

Murty was a joke for a long time because we never saw him; he just seemed like another expensive folly of that time, and I pretty much wrote him off. But the reason he was part of the championship team was not so much his quality as a defender as his integration with the attack; he was perfect in that respect. I watched the tribute to him on that silly but compulsive programme "Late Kick Off" (whatever Murty does next, I doubt it will be commentating, at which he is cringe) and was quite moved. I'd be happy to see him back as a coach if he makes the grade: we definitely need some vestige of the promotion team at the club, to maintain the tradition of how it was done the Reading way ... whether it be Murts, Gunnar, or Ingi.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Feb 2012 14:28

glass half full Murts is one of my all-time favourite Reading players - and a gentleman off the pitch.

^^^^

always out and about around the stadium- never ever blew you off with excuses, always stopped and chatted- proper nice bloke

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Feb 2012 15:33

melonhead
glass half full Murts is one of my all-time favourite Reading players - and a gentleman off the pitch.

^^^^

always out and about around the stadium- never ever blew you off with excuses, always stopped and chatted- I think he was scared of me

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Feb 2012 16:17

Bah!

he could have just run away if hed been scared

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Feb 2012 17:25

Tails Tributes on the Late Kick Off

Some nice tributes there.

cant watch that QPR penalty often enough

still sends shivers down my spine

gr8 to the that wide mouthed frog harps in the tributes too.