Back from the game - Millwall (A)

Winnershroyal

Re: Back from the game - Millwall (A)

by Winnershroyal » 04 Mar 2012 08:28

Avon Royal
Snowball The Le Fondre goal was nothing like as bad as the Hull goal.

It was the laws correctly applied and a perfectly straightforward goal

Even Steve Claridge couldn't complain about it.

He tried though, through gritted teeth..HRK goal was quality.

Leicester look dangerous, feel that game could be a reverse.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Mar 2012 08:38

Winnershroyal
Avon Royal
Snowball The Le Fondre goal was nothing like as bad as the Hull goal.

It was the laws correctly applied and a perfectly straightforward goal

Even Steve Claridge couldn't complain about it.

He tried though, through gritted teeth..HRK goal was quality.

Leicester look dangerous, feel that game could be a reverse.

And let's not forget ALF showed quick thinking, and was AGAIN in the right place at the right time

(and is now our top scorer)

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Mar 2012 08:53

Brian McDermott hit the nail on the head when he said this team knows how to win. The only difference yesterday from our previous 5 outings was that Millwall spoilt the party with a well worked goal.......................did Connolly go off injured or did Brian eventually decide to inject a bit of pace at right back as this was where our rock solid rearguard was finally breached?

I'm struggling to remember the last game I saw in which the ball spent so much time off the ground; we used to lose these grubby wars of attrition but now, no team rolls its sleeves up and gets the job done better than us! If you want to call the first 15, 20 or 30 minutes "dire" or "attrocious" that's your prerogative, but all Brian, his team, SJM and the new owners are looking for is the fastest route back to the promised land..........................and on that front it's hard to see how things could be going much better than they are.

As usual in his absence, I felt Jimmy was a big miss as, even at his worst, he stretches defences in ways that you only expect from premiership players but the obvious bonus was a quality strike from HRK.

Finally, as no one else has decided to mention it, our second quality goal came from the combination that the vast majority who expressed a preference on these pages wanted to see :P Surely even Simon "offside" Church's most ardent fans would concede that, had he been several yards offside as ALF found himself, he would have ensured the lino's flag was raised and the goal never scored.

My only desire is to see our strongest side on the pitch and right now I'm struggling to see what Noel Hunt offers that Alf can't. Seeing as our next match may well count for nothing and as this was the second occasion in recent times that Adam Le Fondre stepped off the bench to score the winner, I really hope Brian elects to give him a much deserved start.

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 04 Mar 2012 08:59

Surprised noone's mentioned our 4 year old mascot. Before the match had even started he had beaten Feds with a brilliant volley, got poleaxed by a millwall defender yet got straight back up without histrionics and then beat the entire Millwall team to score in their goal.

The problem with our apparent policy now of "soaking up pressure" in the first part of a match it does mean opposing teams have a chance at goal.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 04 Mar 2012 09:18

Such a shame it's so painful and nerve jangling to watch Reading, but then if they' can keep digging the results out then long may it continue. Karacan MoM for me

Sweating now on injuries to

Connolly
Kebe
Hunt

Don't like not having a full squad available even if we have cover.

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 04 Mar 2012 09:18

who are ya? And to the mongdivs singing 'Forever Blowing Bubbles, United United' you are beyond an embarrassment

100% agree. Mongdivs of the highest order, they can also stick that Palace "ultras" song as well.

Good following apart from that.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 04 Mar 2012 09:20

Yeah was that the first outing of the "Ultras" song? Really not into it truth be told. I just don't like it, like it, like it.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 04 Mar 2012 10:36

Looks like this thread is missing something...

Federici - 6 Not contested much, not much good and not much bad. A good average.
Gorkss - 7 Bad mistake for the goal but picked himself up fairly well.
Pearce - 7 Solid as ever, IMO the better of the partnership (bar a pretty bad pass to the Millwall striker)
Harte - 8 His positioning more than makes up for his pace every game. Nearly scored from a set piece too.
Connelly - 6 A few errors but I'm a fan of his precise passes down the wing. Good support.
McAnuff - 6 Good on the ball but a bad end product ala 'Boro.
HRK - 7 Like this guy. Strong on the ball, beats his man often and his goal was excellent. Not without his mistakes though.
Karacan - 8 My MOTM, did well in midfield and even better in right back. His run was a thing of beauty!
Leigertwood - 6 Fairly solid and broke up play well but was sloppy and made many mistakes. Good pass for the goal though.
Roberts - 6 Held up the ball quite well and made a couple good runs. His assist was smart, but I was annoyed by his bad positioning for most of the game and his reluctance to jump.
Hunt - 5 Aside from the good flick ons, didn't offer much at all.

Subs:
ALF - 7 Looked very bright when he came on and is a very clever footballer. His awareness is just superb!
Tabb - 7 Broke up play well and had a good attacking and physical presence about him. How he wins so many headers is beyond me.

Left side of the stand - 1
Last edited by RockheadRumple on 04 Mar 2012 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 04 Mar 2012 10:39

Stuka Yeah was that the first outing of the "Ultras" song? Really not into it truth be told. I just don't like it, like it, like it.

It as more fun improvising it TBH.

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 04 Mar 2012 10:40

I must have been watching a different game to many - I thought Roberts was a passenger until ALF came on. The Millwall CBs were winning the majority of high balls, and it just wasn't sticking to Roberts.

That changed from the moment he supplied the assist - from then on in he was a different player. Bullied their back line - not enough for MOTM though.

Jem had a good game and slotted in at right back well. I thought Tabb put himself about well - he and Ledge had far more presence in the 2nd half. Enjoyed watching Harte winding Henry up :lol:

Great day out, very pleased to win ugly yet again.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 04 Mar 2012 10:41

Football League show is now up on iplayer for anyone interested. You can skip the first 27 minutes.

Don't skip past 28 minutes though or you'll miss it!

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 04 Mar 2012 11:40

RFCSPACE Football League show is now up on iplayer for anyone interested. You can skip the first 27 minutes.

What happened to Connely for their goal? He is fast but looks totally lost when Keogh goes through.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 04 Mar 2012 11:41

Barry the bird boggler Sweating now on injuries to

Connolly
Kebe
Hunt

Cummings is fit again and Karacan played well enough at RB (though not ideal), HRK may not be as electric but you can't complain while he's scoring, and we looked a lot better with ALF on than Hunt. Obviously injuries aren't good but I'm happy enough with the cover we have, especially going in to two home games on the trot.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 04 Mar 2012 11:42

Winnershroyal
RFCSPACE Football League show is now up on iplayer for anyone interested. You can skip the first 27 minutes.

What happened to Connely for their goal? He is fast but looks totally lost when Keogh goes through.

Problem with our contain defence - there was space in behind for him to run into as the back four was relatively high up the pitch.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 04 Mar 2012 14:22

We were very disjointed in the first half, and lacking in pace on the counter (missed Kebe a lot, I thought. Will he be back for Tuesday?).

But Hal's superb volley just before half time chanegd the balance of the game and I never felt Millwall were as much of a threat afetr that. Thought ALF looked very bright when he came on, and combined intelligently with Roberts for the winner.

Can we have Karacan at right back a bit more, with Tabb in the middle? I thought we improved once that change was made. Jem gave us more pace and threat down the right.

Not a pretty win, but you could tell how important it was by how pumped up the players were in celbrating the win at the end.

We can't do much better (in terms of results) than we're doing at present. But sadly neither W Ham nor Southampton are showing signs of cracking. They also have very winnable looking games this week. I fear we will need at least to win one of our away games with them to make the top two.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 04 Mar 2012 14:42

Once more some dreadful football
What is it with this league?
The standard is just bollocks
It`s not my cup of tea.

We know how to win ugly
You can`t blame Brian for that
No need to try and pass it
The opposition gives it back.

The Lions they played like kittens
No tactics or game plan
Easy meat for Reading
And star man Karacan.

The premier league now beckons
We`ll get stuffed playing like this
All those rearranged kick offs
Think I`ll give it a miss.

No more those fun awaydays
Strange beer in northern pubs
At least I`ll save on train fares
Jeff leaves it to the mugs.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Mar 2012 14:45

Hi Jeff, hope you are well.

Fair enough on the sentiments, but, if you don't like the Premiership and the Championship is "not your cup of tea", what league would you like us to be in?

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 04 Mar 2012 14:51

LUX Hi Jeff, hope you are well.

Fair enough on the sentiments, but, if you don't like the Premiership and the Championship is "not your cup of tea", what league would you like us to be in?

I can cope with this league Lux. Premier League prices and daft kick off times screw me I am afraid. I notice you are running out of games for that pint up north. We are drinking in Sheffield for the Barnsley game if you are interested.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Mar 2012 14:55

LUX Hi Jeff, hope you are well.

Champions - the games are always on the same two days and all kick off at 7.45 (or is it 8.00). Bit more travellling, but any game you can't get to is on the box anyway

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 04 Mar 2012 14:56

well his user name couldn`t be more apt, Jeff if we go up do you seriously believe we will be fielding this same team?..get f*cking real man.