Le Fondre

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Le Fondre

by Wimb » 14 Apr 2012 19:41

brighton_royal
Wimb

Lol.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

DAMN IT TINA EAT YOUR FOOD

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 15 Apr 2012 21:08

loyalroyal4life Cureton like and good to have a player like that in the team. I honestly think he can do the business at the highest level next season for us

Very much Cureton like, who incidentally came to our attention during his Curo/Roberts partnership at Bristol Rovers. Worth noting if Hunt ever drops off the pace. Either way works for me.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 15 Apr 2012 21:12

robinsfriday
loyalroyal4life Cureton like and good to have a player like that in the team. I honestly think he can do the business at the highest level next season for us

Very much Cureton like, who incidentally came to our attention during his Curo/Roberts partnership at Bristol Rovers. Worth noting if Hunt ever drops off the pace. Either way works for me.

Have to agree with that. Arguably I'd have Le Fondre in there with Roberts now, but Hunt gets the nod for his work rate and rightly so. Roberts holding the ball up for a natural finisher like Alfie is a partnership most clubs would love to have. Hopefully we'll see a bit of that next season, new signings depending.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Apr 2012 21:16

The one attribute that Hunt has above any of our other strikers is that he wins the ball in the air. That is important with how we play atm, which is why McD will start Hunt in the last 4 games as long as he's fit.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 15 Apr 2012 21:19

winchester_royal The one attribute that Hunt has above any of our other strikers is that he wins the ball in the air. That is important with how we play atm, which is why McD will start Hunt in the last 4 games as long as he's fit.

4 games?

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 15 Apr 2012 21:30

Friday's Legacy
robinsfriday

Have to agree with that. Arguably I'd have Le Fondre in there with Roberts now, but Hunt gets the nod for his work rate and rightly so. Roberts holding the ball up for a natural finisher like Alfie is a partnership most clubs would love to have. Hopefully we'll see a bit of that next season, new signings depending.

Absolutely. Not a bad dilema to have though. Hunt & Alfie are very different types of players but on any given day can add something pretty special to the team. And essentially this optimises what this season has been about. Brian has assembled a squad, not a team of players who all know how to play to their strengths but more importantly, with each other and how capitalise on this. Definitely manager of the year.

But lets not forget, we are not promoted just yet. Football can be a tad strange but all going well this will possibly outshine the class of 2006, or definitely equal the achievements of that group of players. Tonight and all year I've been a very proud Royal. Tell a lie, I've been a proud Royal since I was five years old, way back in 1984. Roll on Tuesday.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Apr 2012 21:35

Friday's Legacy
winchester_royal The one attribute that Hunt has above any of our other strikers is that he wins the ball in the air. That is important with how we play atm, which is why McD will start Hunt in the last 4 games as long as he's fit.

4 games?

Oh f*ck it, you know what I meant :oops:

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 15 Apr 2012 22:19

Lets hope it's not 5 then 6

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Apr 2012 22:35

I've been thinking about Alfie.

He's a phenomenal finisher, and always in the right place at the right time (eg both goals at Brighton). Is he better that Curo was in this regard?

But then both goals against Southampton were completely different! The first a divine strike into the top corner in a busy penalty box and the second some incredible pace and skill and android-like composure. Is there more t this guy that is just becoming apparent now?

I can't wait to see him play again but I wouldn't change a winning formula of Hunt/Roberts with him coming on late on.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 16 Apr 2012 08:00

2 world wars, 1 world cup I've been thinking about Alfie.

He's a phenomenal finisher, and always in the right place at the right time (eg both goals at Brighton). Is he better that Curo was in this regard?

But then both goals against Southampton were completely different! The first a divine strike into the top corner in a busy penalty box and the second some incredible pace and skill and android-like composure. Is there more t this guy that is just becoming apparent now?

I can't wait to see him play again but I wouldn't change a winning formula of Hunt/Roberts with him coming on late on.

Don't think you can say he is better than Curo....YET

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 16 Apr 2012 11:38

loyalroyal4life

Don't think you can say he is better than Curo....YET

Le Fondre's playing in a better theam than Curo did IMHO.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 16 Apr 2012 11:57

His first goal was more than just a great finish. He picked up the ball on the halfway line, played it up to Hunt, then held his run to make some space for himself and when he did make his move into the box, he timed it perfectly. Tenacity to win the ball where he did, intelligence to hold his run for as long as he did and instinct to finish it as he did under pressure from defenders. The goal of the game for me.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Apr 2012 12:05

I read the Rotherham board and they were commenting that ALF was always a great finisher but on the evidence of the last week or so, in the 8 months he's been here, his all round game has come on so much he's a million miles from the player they sold.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 16 Apr 2012 12:29

79Royal

His first goal was more than just a great finish. He picked up the ball on the halfway line, played it up to Hunt, then held his run to make some space for himself and when he did make his move into the box, he timed it perfectly. Tenacity to win the ball where he did, intelligence to hold his run for as long as he did and instinct to finish it as he did under pressure from defenders. The goal of the game for me.

^^^ Pick of the game's goals for me, too.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 16 Apr 2012 12:33

Super finish, although I preferred the first goal because i'm a massive fan of awesome crosses and thumping headers.

Seriously how did Jimbo manage to dig out a cross that good? Totally undefendable.

Both ALF's goals were the work of an expert finisher though.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Apr 2012 12:40

Adam Le Fondre
Adam Le Fondre
He keeps me happy when skies are grey
(When skies are grey)
He got the winner against Southampton
So please don't take Le Fondre away

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Apr 2012 13:03

79Royal

I agree and it's precisely what I'm saying I.e. the Brighton goals tell us he gets in the right place at the right time and knows how to finish, but against Southampton his goals were so much MORE than just finishing. Both goals were sheer class hence my question is there more to this guy?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 16 Apr 2012 13:11

79Royal

Agreed. We hear so much that he's a poacher, but here he held well back--behind other Reading players, in fact. I don't know if this was a planned move (he signalled to Kebe, who picked him out rather than crossing in front of the goal line), but it was the product of intelligent thought. A shot from behind other attackers is a stealth method, and if defended or saved it would give Alf (and the others) a great chance of following up. Perhaps Le Fondre has studied the percentages from short crosses.

His second goal almost gave me a double take, because it was very Shane Longish, the way the defender seemed favourite for a random ball yet Le Fondre somehow bustled through him, emerging with the ball at his feet and scoring. That goal shows Le Fondre doesn't just have to be presented with chances on a plate--he can manufacture them through a combination of pitbull tenacity and cunning.

On recent evidence, I think he could make quite a player. He hasn't achieved more than Cureton yet, but I believe he can go higher.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 16 Apr 2012 13:37

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 16 Apr 2012 13:49

From Despair To Where? I read the Rotherham board and they were commenting that ALF was always a great finisher but on the evidence of the last week or so, in the 8 months he's been here, his all round game has come on so much he's a million miles from the player they sold.

Link to the thread on the Rotherham board?