Back from the game Birmingham away 28th April

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game Birmingham away 28th April

by SydenhamRoyal » 28 Apr 2012 20:36

Singing muted, inflatables great, shit stand; nicest thing today tho was the Brum fans - generous applause to us at St Andrews for winning the league, and later in the town random Brum fans come up to random Reading fans saying well done.

Cypry

by Cypry » 28 Apr 2012 20:41

Bizarrely I went into Sainsburys back in Reading when I got back to find myself being congratulated by a pissed up pair of Cardiff fans.......

I told 'em to make sure they turn West Ham over in the playoffs....

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 Apr 2012 20:57

Great atmosphere, great day out - CHAMPIONS!

The less we say about the game the better.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Apr 2012 21:53

Shambles, absolutely useless.

But that is enough about me leaving my match tickets on the train.....the Reading game was preditably rather tame. Particularly given the personnel we had out/rested; was a particularly sobering reminder of how our direct game was pretty ineffective this season before Roberts arrival in all honesty. Got me to thinking about the strength - or otherwise - of the back-up:

Connolly - really not very good today which is understandable given his time out. Strange selection from the manager, maybe he wanted to give the fella one last chance to prove himself. He's played his own small part but doesn't really seem to have the quality to make the step up. No fanks. See also Mullins.

Tabb - runs around, gets his foot in and very little else of qualitative value in all honesty. Rarely looks special at Champ level, would hope we'll look to have far better options than Tabb in our squad by the end of August.

Church - admire his passion for the club and he works hard. But he's fleetingly looked good enough at this level and would suit a season out on loan in the Championship or lower. Could say the same about HRK, albeit that might be harsh.

Stay loyal to the core of the squad, sure. But improve the quality-in-depth or go straight back down.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Apr 2012 07:40

Surprised by the team selection, Church ahead of Afobe, Connolly ahead of Cummings etc. - got me thinking that perhaps there was some thinking behind it e.g. final swansong, go and prove you're worth a place in the squad.

If the game had counted for anything I would have been bloody annoyed with the referee for letting Doyle get away with trying to be nearer Federici that Harte

Tabb was motm for me and it was great to be able to just turn up and party and not give a monkey's about the result.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 29 Apr 2012 07:53

PieEater
urz13 To be fair to Church, he did have a decent volley go just over and would've scored (probably twice) but for some absolutely exceptional defending.

You mean he was second best best to the defenders? That pretty much sums him up.

Yes, but there wasn't much could do. The rebound from the penalty was ell blocked and he couldn't have hit it any earlier. Likewise when he had an open goal and the defender put it out for a corner. Any further forward and he'd have been offside and people would moan about that. Totally agree that unfortunately he's not good enough for the Premiership at the moment.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 29 Apr 2012 08:08

The Cube Reading fans sing, "On the pitch, on the pitch, on the pitch". Stewards in front of away end look a little anxious and call for reinforcements.

Reading fans then sing, "If Churchy scores, we're on the pitch". Stewards relax completely.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 Apr 2012 09:09

Didn't give a toss we lost ( can't remember lasat time that thought occurred ) that team we put out would have finished bottom half
Brum stewards and fans great
Reading fans awesome
Bloody freezing
Highlight for me was probably last appearance in a Reading shirt for the legend and my Bryn Gunny Fishcake Gunnarsson , we salute you !

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 29 Apr 2012 09:12

On the pitch as expected really. players on the beach - not to say they weren't giving it all their effort but the usual speed and intensity wasn't there.

useful exercise though as did show us a few things:-

- Roberts and Hunt essential to our system.
- ALF at best needs a target man and at worst is maybe just one of those who is better off the bench: natural finisher who finds space later in games
- Church: just not happening for him. I would loan him to a strong league 1 club where hopefully he can get a run of games in a confident side
HRK: still not convinced. needs more end product. another who may benefit from a good run of games, maybe for a decent champ side.

off the pitch: good train journey, beers in the Dragon and inflatables. concourse banter again good, although carrying a couple of injuries today after an incident with a lilo...

All in all excellent last away trip of the season, and here's to giving the wallet a rest from football until it all start again in August.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 29 Apr 2012 09:28

Amazing - was in GML6 with Birmingham fans and was mouthing the chants from RFC. Steward saw and took me into the RFC area! Was great.

Wasted. I can't take drinking from 8am till 2am. No voice and feeling rough.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 29 Apr 2012 10:17

Didn't expect much from the game. Disappointed with the lack of 'Show me the way...' Can't fault anything about the trip to Birmingham, apart from the bar staff at the Square Pegs, who wouldn't serve Reading fans till a beach ball stopped being thrown around.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 29 Apr 2012 10:42

really wanted Church to show some sort of quality - but didnt happen - sadly I dont think he should be with us next season

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 29 Apr 2012 11:06

Meh, that felt a bit anticlimatic. Atmosphere wasn't great but the inflatables were quality. Glad I went though and it was a decent day.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 Apr 2012 11:09

lowerwestjnr Didn't expect much from the game. Disappointed with the lack of 'Show me the way...' Can't fault anything about the trip to Birmingham, apart from the bar staff at the Square Pegs, who wouldn't serve Reading fans till a beach ball stopped being thrown around.

LOLz @ you singing it on the train - all on your own.

I didn't care abut the result prior to the game - though another win would have been nice. I presume McD was giving a few people a run-out as they'd contributed to the team during the season. Connolly didn't look fit to me - but maybe it was about the "togetherness" or whatever - though I'd have brought in for last 10 mins as a sub if that was me.

Inflatables have caused me an arm injury - trying to throw back heavy inflatable objects all game took its toll! LOL. Whoever bought a Connect 4 inflatable needs shooting - it was bloody heavy to lob about! Kudos to the fans who managed to land a paddling pool perfectly on my head and a goal net!!

Another enjoyable away day - here's to plenty more in the Prem!

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 29 Apr 2012 11:19

Also managed to grab the match ball. Going to try and get it signed today.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 Apr 2012 11:25

urz13 Also managed to grab the match ball. Going to try and get it signed today.

Match ball? Or one of the training balls they kicked into the fans at the end? Tartman got one of those...

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 29 Apr 2012 11:25

Royal Lady
lowerwestjnr Didn't expect much from the game. Disappointed with the lack of 'Show me the way...' Can't fault anything about the trip to Birmingham, apart from the bar staff at the Square Pegs, who wouldn't serve Reading fans till a beach ball stopped being thrown around.

LOLz @ you singing it on the train - all on your own.

Could of joined in! :oops:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 Apr 2012 11:26

It was more fun watching you in your Prince Philip mask tbf! :D

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 29 Apr 2012 11:33

tee peg
The Cube Reading fans sing, "On the pitch, on the pitch, on the pitch". Stewards in front of away end look a little anxious and call for reinforcements.

Reading fans then sing, "If Churchy scores, we're on the pitch". Stewards relax completely.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was in gl7 with the Brum fans with no bother. I did chuckle when the on the pitch songs started, there were a few retired old lads near me who summed it up...go on try it then you pussies!

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 29 Apr 2012 11:36

Great pre match entertainment in the Square Peg. Big up to the guy with glasses that was chanting the John Salako song :lol:
Went back after the game but they wouldn't let us in. Ended up in some other establishment in the town centre till late. (Suffering a bit today :cry: )

Half time was fun on the concourse before some heavy handed stewards started looking for some grief.

Oh and the game was pretty :|

Yet another good day out of which there have many this season.