Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Michail Antonio to Sheffield Wednesday

by melonhead » 07 May 2012 11:20

moot

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 May 2012 12:47

Pretty good business...maybe hold out for slightly more but £750k's a lot for someone unproven at Championship level who will never get a look-in.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 07 May 2012 16:05

Ian Royal In mentioning Jarvis, I only meant someone with a bit more proven quality at a higher level.

TBH I'm not surprised Antonio did well in a lower league, he's quick, strong and his finishing and crossing isn't awful. But he's been pretty clumsy and a bit clueless from what I've seen of him for Reading.

Antonio obviously fits well with Wednesday's team and is established there. It's much easier, IMO, to step up a division in a team you are already playing in. I don't think he's really skillfull or tricksy enough for our wing slot and asking him to step up two divisions for the odd game doesn't seem particularly sensible to me.

I have no problem with keeping Antonio, I just think it's better for all concerned for him to go to Weds for £500k+

Agree, I think its best for both parties for him to move on. He seems to be someone who thrives on regular games. I think i've only ever seen him play well once for us, and that was the Bristol City home game this season after he'd started the previous game.

I do feel that if Reading hadn't taken up the option on him a couple of years ago and sold him to Southampton instead (who I remember at the time he was quoted as saying he wanted to stay with) he may well have established himself in the Championship already by now.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 07 May 2012 16:09

Friday's Legacy
Ian Royal
Norfolk Royal I think we should loan him to Sheff Weds up to January and see how he gets on in the championship. If he sets the division alight and we're struggling a bit in the Prem, we have him back. Quite simple really.

Why would they agree to a six month loan? They're building a team for the Championship and he's one of the players that got them there. They aren't going to want to have to replace him in 6 or even 12 months.

As good a job as he's done for them, he still showed very little at our level and he's frighteningly raw for the PL. The best move for him, them and us, is to sell him to them for decent money and bring in someone like Jarvis to really challenge Kebe and McAnuff. HRK for emergencies. If we hadn't gone up and TSI weren't in, then he's looking like he'd be a decent bet to replace Kebe for the Championship now. But we've moved on.

We wont get Jarvis. Heard today we are very close to signing Garath McCleary from Forest. That's one winger in for free, and one winger out for £750k. I would have to check but I'm sure McCleary is Forest's POTS, so he arguably improves the squad, and it's a few quid in the coffers towards other signings.

Wow, never thought when McCleary was at Bromley or Slough he may end up joining us in the Prem! I remember how shocked I was when he joined Forest in the first place! Its amazing how his career has progressed, he was only a bit part player for them when he initially joined, and they were League 1 then IIRC.

I seem to remember that whilst he's played on the wing for both Bromley and Forest, when he was at Slough their fans considered to be a striker, which is interesting given some of his goalscoring exploits this season.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 07 May 2012 16:17

KC Royal
Friday's Legacy
Ian Royal Why would they agree to a six month loan? They're building a team for the Championship and he's one of the players that got them there. They aren't going to want to have to replace him in 6 or even 12 months.

As good a job as he's done for them, he still showed very little at our level and he's frighteningly raw for the PL. The best move for him, them and us, is to sell him to them for decent money and bring in someone like Jarvis to really challenge Kebe and McAnuff. HRK for emergencies. If we hadn't gone up and TSI weren't in, then he's looking like he'd be a decent bet to replace Kebe for the Championship now. But we've moved on.

We wont get Jarvis. Heard today we are very close to signing Garath McCleary from Forest. That's one winger in for free, and one winger out for £750k. I would have to check but I'm sure McCleary is Forest's POTS, so he arguably improves the squad, and it's a few quid in the coffers towards other signings.

Wow, never thought when McCleary was at Bromley or Slough he may end up joining us in the Prem! I remember how shocked I was when he joined Forest in the first place! Its amazing how his career has progressed, he was only a bit part player for them when he initially joined, and they were League 1 then IIRC.

I seem to remember that whilst he's played on the wing for both Bromley and Forest, when he was at Slough their fans considered to be a striker, which is interesting given some of his goalscoring exploits this season.

I honestly had not heard of him till he scored a shitload against Leeds.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 07 May 2012 18:45

winchester_royal You were very impressed with Antonio during his short spell? A guy who's made 33 appearances for us and scored 1 goal? Fair enough, each to their own

it was a great goal though, to be fair.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 07 May 2012 21:04

Means nothing, maybe

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 16 May 2012 11:01

Rob Staton, press chappie from op North says Antonio wants to go and RFC need to make a decision.

It's all about the fee.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 16 May 2012 11:21

Agreed, that's why we're bringing McLeary into the club. So when/if that deal is done no doubt we'll agree a fee with Wednesday.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 16 May 2012 11:29

Barry the bird boggler Agreed, that's why we're bringing McLeary into the club. So when/if that deal is done no doubt we'll agree a fee with Wednesday.

Not bad business either. One out for a near million who isn't in our plans, and a free in who looks a better player.

Wave that million in Huddersfield's face along with Morrison and a bit more out of our own pocket, and Rhodes wouldn't dent our budget much at all.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 16 May 2012 11:32

Dare to Dr£am
Barry the bird boggler Agreed, that's why we're bringing McLeary into the club. So when/if that deal is done no doubt we'll agree a fee with Wednesday.

Not bad business either. One out for a near million who isn't in our plans, and a free in who looks a better player.

Wave that million in Huddersfield's face along with Morrison and a bit more out of our own pocket, and Rhodes wouldn't dent our budget much at all.

But then we'd have to buy another CB which would dent our budget some more...

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 16 May 2012 11:49

pea
Dare to Dr£am

But then we'd have to buy another CB which would dent our budget some more...

Mariappa is meant to be on the way. Any how, gazza said, and gazza is usually reliable, that we wanted a CB. So that makes perfect sense unless they want an additional CB without one going.

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 16 May 2012 15:25

Sheff Wed blogsite.... methinks they quite like him up there.... enough to encourage separation, divorce or possibly even murder (the stick her in the freezer beside the ice cream comment)... very funny lol

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index. ... ews-maybe/

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 16 May 2012 17:15

Interview with Dave Jones on the beeb now, says Antonio wants to go and theyre in negotiations...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18091433

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 17 May 2012 12:50

pea Interview with Dave Jones on the beeb now, says Antonio wants to go and theyre in negotiations...

he'll go on loan for a year - perfect for him and the club - i just think it could be another mistake letting him go permanently - he's still a bit raw but has done well at Sheff Weds - a loan at the same club next season will see how he copes at Championship level where he struggled a bit - my thinking is he struggled because he didnt get regular games - some players are like super subs such as Long and Le Fondre who still do well when they come on as a sub, whereas Antonio struggled coming on as a sub. Still young and imo could be at least a good championship player.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 17 May 2012 13:00

royalsteve
pea Interview with Dave Jones on the beeb now, says Antonio wants to go and theyre in negotiations...

he'll go on loan for a year - perfect for him and the club - i just think it could be another mistake letting him go permanently - he's still a bit raw but has done well at Sheff Weds - a loan at the same club next season will see how he copes at Championship level where he struggled a bit - my thinking is he struggled because he didnt get regular games - some players are like super subs such as Long and Le Fondre who still do well when they come on as a sub, whereas Antonio struggled coming on as a sub. Still young and imo could be at least a good championship player.

No chance of a loan.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 19 May 2012 11:24

maffff - http://www.transfermarketfeed.com Already getting lots of coverage. Antonio has agreed a contract with the club in principal and a fee is as good as done now McCleary is in. Look out for Reading putting in a hefty sell on and retaining first refusal, which is critical to the deal. Reading fans may be disappointed when reported fees are public but Sheffield Wednesday have agreed a large sum subject to consolidating their position in the Championship. Deal is moving quickly, could be announced as early as middle of next week.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 May 2012 08:37

royalsteve

:|

At the end of the loan he would be a free agent, and could sign anywhere he likes. So what exactly would we be getting out of it?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 May 2012 09:16

Platypuss
royalsteve

:|

At the end of the loan he would be a free agent, and could sign anywhere he likes. So what exactly would we be getting out of it?

Obviously IF we wished to loan him until Jan or for the season
then we would have to rewrite his contract, that goes without saying

He gets a (theoretical) small salary increase, is on the books of a Premiership club,
Sheffield Wednesday or Charlton pick up the tab but if he develops further we can
get him back. Meanwhile the loanee club has first option at price X, and perhaps with
goals/assists/league position (for them) a factor.

Of course McCleary coming in makes it look like Antonio will be going.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 20 May 2012 12:37

We'll regret this in a few years.

342 posts