17 years of hurt...

RepressedRoyal

Re: 17 years of hurt...

by RepressedRoyal » 14 May 2012 17:08

William Oddie
Caskeys Lovechild I've done it.

I've finally done it. I've watched the WHOLE of the 95 Playoff Final, including Extra Time and penalties. I didn't cry (like I did when I was 14, stood on my seat), I didn't have any of the nasty feelings I did that day. It didn't even really all start flooding back - all I felt was a smug sense of "look where we are now".

There's a sort of divine justice in the way things have worked out this year. Reading promoted as Champions, take the place of the best of the relegated teams.... Bolton in this case.

I really hope this is the beginning of a terminal decline for BWFC. It might sound vitriolic, but for 17 years, I've been unable to compute what happened that day at Wembley. For 17 years, I've been nasty to everyone I came across whos name started in that Mc fashion. And I too, have refused to wear anything made by Reebok in that 17 years.

My ghosts are exorcised - the new order of football is being established - and Reading FC are absolutely, a massive part of it.

QPR can eff off next season though....

Which game did you watch? The 95 play off final didnt go to penalties?

Please don't tell me that after Quinn's third goal we got it back to 4-4 before losing on penalties? I was already heading out of Wembley at 4-3 so I must have missed it! Sh1t!! Who got our equaliser and who missed in the penalty shoot-out? I knew I should have watched the highlights...... for 17 years I thought we had lost 4-3!!!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 May 2012 18:16

From Despair To Where?
Franchise FC
Big Ern Must admit, it crossed my mind when it was confirmed Bolton were relegated.

Agree that McAteer should of been given a second yellow card, but you cannot blame or hate a team for trying to win. It was a mistake from the ref afterall. Can't really remember the handball incident to be honest.

What I do remember well and still leaves a bad taste in my mouth was the behavior of the Bolton fans as we were leaving Wembley. They seemed more intent on rubbing it in as opposed to celebrating their own success. For this alone, I have no sympathy for them, except for Fabrice for whome I still prey for every day.

Handball ????

One of De Freitas' goals, ball hits the post, comes out to him as he's falling over and he stops the ball with his arm before sticking in the rebound. It was clear ball to arm but I'm not convinced it was deliberate and there is no way the ref or lino could possibly have seen it.

So badly did that game affect me that I've never seen the highlights (lowlights) and because I was the other end I didn't even know about the handball :shock: :shock:

Now I'm pleased they've gone.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 May 2012 18:41

forget the Bolton 17 year thing.

What hurt me most was the 2-0 home reverse, the season that we got relegated from the Prem...Kevin friggin' Nolan was in attendance :evil: .

We just needed a win or two to assure survival....Bolton at home, Fulham at home were nailed-on three pointers, Spurs at home was worth a point............

Bolton 2-0 winners and were untouchable on the day ....currist I hated them.......the realisation

Fulham 2-0 winners iirc......our best player on the day was our woodwork

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 May 2012 19:07

I don't blame Bolton - we were running on empty for much of the second half due to an over physical approach from Tranmere in the play-off second leg at Elm Park - several players were carrying injuries into the final - and I am sure Keith McPherson dropped a dumbell or something on his foot in the gym?

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 14 May 2012 19:55

Has Gartside asked for scrapping of promotion in recent weeks.

:lol:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 May 2012 19:59

Franchise FC
From Despair To Where?
Franchise FC
Handball ????

One of De Freitas' goals, ball hits the post, comes out to him as he's falling over and he stops the ball with his arm before sticking in the rebound. It was clear ball to arm but I'm not convinced it was deliberate and there is no way the ref or lino could possibly have seen it.

So badly did that game affect me that I've never seen the highlights (lowlights) and because I was the other end I didn't even know about the handball :shock: :shock:

Now I'm pleased they've gone.

To be honest, I've only ever seen brief highlights on a Danny Baker football gaffes video. Like you, I wasn't aware of a handball issue at the time either.

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 14 May 2012 20:00

What ever happened to 2-0 and a penalty?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 May 2012 20:04

now owns and runs "Fun and Frolics"

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 14 May 2012 20:30

I can still remember chatting to a Bolton fan on the tube after that game; "if you scored the penalty you'd have won but you missed it so you lost.............you got 1 or 2 good players but you can't say Reading's a good team like Bolton............".

I'll never know, but I'd like to think that man still has his Wanderers season ticket!

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 14 May 2012 21:20

RepressedRoyal
William Oddie

I've finally done it. I've watched the WHOLE of the 95 Playoff Final, including Extra Time and penalties. I didn't cry (like I did when I was 14, stood on my seat), I didn't have any of the nasty feelings I did that day. It didn't even really all start flooding back - all I felt was a smug sense of "look where we are now".

There's a sort of divine justice in the way things have worked out this year. Reading promoted as Champions, take the place of the best of the relegated teams.... Bolton in this case.

I really hope this is the beginning of a terminal decline for BWFC. It might sound vitriolic, but for 17 years, I've been unable to compute what happened that day at Wembley. For 17 years, I've been nasty to everyone I came across whos name started in that Mc fashion. And I too, have refused to wear anything made by Reebok in that 17 years.

My ghosts are exorcised - the new order of football is being established - and Reading FC are absolutely, a massive part of it.

Please don't tell me that after Quinn's third goal we got it back to 4-4 before losing on penalties? I was already heading out of Wembley at 4-3 so I must have missed it! Sh1t!! Who got our equaliser and who missed in the penalty shoot-out? I knew I should have watched the highlights...... for 17 years I thought we had lost 4-3!!!

WTF is wrong with me?? Sorry - Momentary lapse of concentration after 3 days on the Sauce......

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 14 May 2012 21:26

Mid Sussex Royal I don't blame Bolton - we were running on empty for much of the second half due to an over physical approach from Tranmere in the play-off second leg at Elm Park - several players were carrying injuries into the final - and I am sure Keith McPherson dropped a dumbell or something on his foot in the gym?

Correct. Spoke to Shaka during the Minor Counties/West Indies tour match that summer and half of the Reading team had to have painkilling injections to play.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 14 May 2012 21:43

A trip to QPR next year > a long slug to Bolton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAAnZ0JKGo

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 14 May 2012 21:48

Gartside will at least be getting his long sought after 39th league game.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 May 2012 22:10

RepressedRoyal
William Oddie

We lost 4-3. It didn't go to penalties, just extra time. Normal time finished 2-2 when they equalised on about 88 minutes.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 15 May 2012 11:02

I am yet to watch the match in it's entirety, although I have no ill feeling towards Bolton any more. However, watching it could now be an issue as I no longer having anything capable of playing a video tape!!! I wanted Bolton to stay up as I think they would have been weaker than QPR will be next season - QPR are more likely to blow a load of money and be a lot stronger than this year I think. But regardless, we have to find a minmum of three teams to finish above next year (although 19 would be a nicer number), no matter who they may be.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 15 May 2012 11:40

Ark Royal Spoke to Shaka during the Minor Counties/West Indies tour match that summer and half of the Reading team had to have painkilling injections to play.

I saw Shaka that day - still can't believe I got to see Lara, Hooper, Walsh, Ambrose etc playing 15 minutes walk from my house (though admittedly the latter 2 were injured so I only got to see them bowl a few looseners in warm up).

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 May 2012 11:49

I was able to watch the video all the way through after we won promotion in 2006. Just had an empty, numb feeling watching it. I remember the cricket match that AR referred to. Shaka was in the middle of speculation regarding a move away. He was asked about it but he was very non-commital about it all. Walking back towards the beer, the Scrote Sports Editor/Journo asked us what Shaka said. He was met with a comment along the lines of nothing that neither of us would dream of repeating. The crab cakes were good though :mrgreen:

As for a preference of QPR or Bolton next season, it is all a bit irrelevant. I think the bottom half of the Prem next season will be incredibly tight. There will be no dead certs for relegation and I tink all 3 promoted teams will do well. Reading with the money, Southampton with their style of football and either of West Ham or Blackpool will be ok as well for differing reasons.

If I had to pick a bottom 3, it would be based on the following:
1. Norwich as I don't expect Lambert to stay
2. Fulham as I think they will struggle without Clint Dempsey
3. Wigan as I think Martinez will leave

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 May 2012 12:02

Ian Royal
RepressedRoyal Please don't tell me that after Quinn's third goal we got it back to 4-4 before losing on penalties? I was already heading out of Wembley at 4-3 so I must have missed it! Sh1t!! Who got our equaliser and who missed in the penalty shoot-out? I knew I should have watched the highlights...... for 17 years I thought we had lost 4-3!!!

We lost 4-3. It didn't go to penalties, just extra time. Normal time finished 2-2 when they equalised on about 88 minutes.

:|

Dearie me, Ian.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 15 May 2012 12:31

LoyalRoyalFan A trip to QPR next year > a long slug to Bolton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAAnZ0JKGo

I'm afraid this was also the sole basis on which I based my decision on who I wanted to go down.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 15 May 2012 12:43

The only way I will get over the Bolton and Swansea losses is if I see us win at Wembley