Bill Oddie

145 posts
Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Bill Oddie

by Simon's Church » 18 Nov 2012 10:45

RoyalBlue The Bearded One tweeted:

At last! Reading have lift off! Now for the title and the Cup. My beard is tingling with excitement. Congrats.

Clearly the process of converting him from the dark side is going well. Time to invite him to make a pitch side appearance, although not at our next home game!

Gr8 stuff.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Nov 2012 09:34

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 19 Nov 2012 13:15

Ecky Thump!

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 20 Nov 2012 11:13

melonhead i may be wrong

but isnt mr fox simply saying, in reply to the person saying the club had no sense of humour, and wouldnt do something like that just for the fans,
that they did it with june whitfield, due to her link with our terry and june chant.

like i said i could be wrong

For the record June Whitfield was invited and accepted an invitation from the supporters club/Whiff/Pants/STAR/Beardband combination of fans responsible for a number of quirky comedy value initiatives. Her late husband had been a football fan and she was very graciously amused to be invited and entertained by the club. There is no reason why RFC can't continue to raise their profile with things like this, it just takes co-ordinated effort by like minded people.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 20 Nov 2012 12:00

Eaststandman
melonhead i may be wrong

but isnt mr fox simply saying, in reply to the person saying the club had no sense of humour, and wouldnt do something like that just for the fans,
that they did it with june whitfield, due to her link with our terry and june chant.

For the record June Whitfield was invited and accepted an invitation from the supporters club/Whiff/Pants/STAR/Beardband combination of fans responsible for a number of quirky comedy value initiatives. Her late husband had been a football fan and she was very graciously amused to be invited and entertained by the club. There is no reason why RFC can't continue to raise their profile with things like this, it just takes co-ordinated effort by like minded people.

That rules out STAR.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 20 Nov 2012 12:23

Would love to welcome Oddie at a game!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Nov 2012 15:04

Cobi
Eaststandman
melonhead i may be wrong

That rules out STAR.

star are very likeminded. just not with anyone else

REMTARDROYAL

by REMTARDROYAL » 20 Nov 2012 15:10

southbank1871 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_yBVqWUa0

Can't see this anywhere else, but Bill Oddie spoke at The Cambridge Union recently and it seems he is aware of the chant, if you watch from 46 minutes.

Brilliant.

Made my day.

REMTARDROYAL

by REMTARDROYAL » 20 Nov 2012 15:12

Simon's Church Yep great to see kids from Reading reach the dizzy heights of Oxbridge. Local boy done good.

fucking tab

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Nov 2012 15:18

Stuka Would love to welcome Oddie at a game!

Need to wean him away from his (almost) home town club, so shouldn't be our next game. However, he might welcome the opportunity to cheer us on v Man City!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 20 Nov 2012 16:22

Anyone tweeted Bill to try and explain why this song exists (something to do with the original Beard Days wasn't it)?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 20 Nov 2012 16:25

This is all a bit desperate isn't it?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 Nov 2012 20:47

Barry the bird boggler Anyone tweeted Bill to try and explain why this song exists (something to do with the original Beard Days wasn't it)?

Not sure if this is one of those things that everyone knows but here goes

Norfolk Royal wrote:

Can anyone explain the derivation of the Bill Odie (sic) chant as I don't like joining in with chants unless I can fully understand their implications and origins?

Mr optimist replied

My understanding of its origins is the ironic "RDS" (Reading Drinking Squad) & TTB (Taking the Biscuit) organised joint venture double decker booze bus trip to Shrewsbury away in about 1990ish, my memory of the day is hazy for some unknown reason. The song originated that day following someone noticing in a very drunken moment that Madonna's song Erotic sounded more like she was singing Billy Oddie, Bill Oddie, rub your beard all over my body, and it became the chant of the day!

My best friend also stole a massive stuffed toy parrot from an antique shop before the game and it became the terrace mascot at Gay Meadow that day.

A legend is born.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Nov 2012 21:17

Now that's the real way a club anthem is born.

I became aware of it after an epic HNA thread about 8-12 years ago which quickly descended into various riffs off the original. The only ones I can remember right now are:

Ian Royal, Ian Royal, rub your beard all over my boil and one about Harold Shipman. Some scanned better than others.

harryroyal

by harryroyal » 20 Nov 2012 21:35

Ian Royal Now that's the real way a club anthem is born.

I became aware of it after an epic HNA thread about 8-12 years ago which quickly descended into various riffs off the original. The only ones I can remember right now are:

Ian Royal, Ian Royal, rub your beard all over my boil and one about Harold Shipman. Some scanned better than others.

Royal lady, royal lady, rub your beard all over my gravy.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 21 Nov 2012 00:22

David Blunkett, David Blunkett, rub your beard all over my drumkit

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 21 Nov 2012 01:07

There must have been about 100 pages that summer.

Clare Balding, Clare Balding, that's a rubbish piece of scaffolding!

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 21 Nov 2012 01:17

I am the bastard son of June Whitfield and Bill Oddie.

(Let's see how many times I'm called a bastard from you lot in various ways!)

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 21 Nov 2012 06:51

Was that thread really 8 years ago! :shock:

Harold Shipman, Harold Shipman rub your beard all over my sick nan.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Nov 2012 07:00

I remember one regarding Jermaine Jenas.

145 posts