First Game

philM

Re: First Game

by philM » 21 Nov 2012 17:41

RoyalWire Will there be anwywhere in particular where Reading fans will go for a drink pre-match?

From the Football Ground Guide...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Beside the away turnstiles is an entrance to a bar, specifically for the use of away fans. It has the usual bar, big screen television and sells pies, as well as teas and coffees. It's a great facility and welcomes families' It is know as the Marquee Bar as it resembles one inside. The traditional pub for away fans visiting the DW stadium is the Red Robin, which is only a few minutes walk away from the ground opposite the Cinema Complex.

Otherwise in the centre of town is a Wetherspoons outlet called the 'Moon Under Water' which was popular with away supporters on my last visit. Also worth a visit is the award winning 'Anvil' pub, which is located next to the bus station. Both these pubs are listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. Also worth a mention is the Berkeley on Wallgate (near the railway station). This fair sized pub, had a good mix of home and away supporters on my last visit, serves five ever changing real ales and shows Sky Sports on a huge screen. Otherwise alcohol is available inside the stadium.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any tips RW? Is the Red Robin ok?

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 21 Nov 2012 17:49

melonhead worst attendances in the prem arent they?almost never fill their ground,even when the big guns visit

i say this with no research whatsoever

My ex wife lives there, and my daughters, the club give away hundreds of tickest for home games for free to all the schools and alot still dont go, it has to be said though that Rugby league has a very strong footing there and those that dont follow Liverpool perfer Rugger...

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 21 Nov 2012 17:53

Alot of WIgan supporters seem to have a lot of respect for us, one drunken night in Wigan i was apporached by a load and they commented how we stayed and appauled them when they won promotion and they have held us in high regard since, i cannot remmber this game but i went along with it as it seemed like the safest option at the time :lol:

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 21 Nov 2012 18:06

westongeezer Alot of WIgan supporters seem to have a lot of respect for us, one drunken night in Wigan i was apporached by a load and they commented how we stayed and appauled them when they won promotion and they have held us in high regard since, i cannot remmber this game but i went along with it as it seemed like the safest option at the time :lol:

Think that was a Coppell side vs a Jason Roberts Wigan side managed by Paul Jewell, if memory serves.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 21 Nov 2012 18:12

SPARTA
westongeezer Alot of WIgan supporters seem to have a lot of respect for us, one drunken night in Wigan i was apporached by a load and they commented how we stayed and appauled them when they won promotion and they have held us in high regard since, i cannot remmber this game but i went along with it as it seemed like the safest option at the time :lol:

Think that was a Coppell side vs a Jason Roberts Wigan side managed by Paul Jewell, if memory serves.

Season before we went up Dave Whelan came over and thanked us. What a nice man.

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 18:55

philM
RoyalWire Will there be anwywhere in particular where Reading fans will go for a drink pre-match?

From the Football Ground Guide...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Beside the away turnstiles is an entrance to a bar, specifically for the use of away fans. It has the usual bar, big screen television and sells pies, as well as teas and coffees. It's a great facility and welcomes families' It is know as the Marquee Bar as it resembles one inside. The traditional pub for away fans visiting the DW stadium is the Red Robin, which is only a few minutes walk away from the ground opposite the Cinema Complex.

Otherwise in the centre of town is a Wetherspoons outlet called the 'Moon Under Water' which was popular with away supporters on my last visit. Also worth a visit is the award winning 'Anvil' pub, which is located next to the bus station. Both these pubs are listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. Also worth a mention is the Berkeley on Wallgate (near the railway station). This fair sized pub, had a good mix of home and away supporters on my last visit, serves five ever changing real ales and shows Sky Sports on a huge screen. Otherwise alcohol is available inside the stadium.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any tips RW? Is the Red Robin ok?

Seems like that info is far more in depth than I could offer. When we visit with the rugby we normally spend most pre-match in Warrington as it is only 10 minutes on the train, so enjoy our regular pub and then straight to the ground.

However, having read this, I think I might be tempted to bob in to the Red Robin.

To be honest I think if i catch eye of any Reading fans I will just follow the lead really. Even though local, this visit is a trip in to the unknown ha-ha!

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 19:02

Jackson Corner Season before we went up Dave Whelan came over and thanked us. What a nice man.

DW is a renowed douche in RL circles.

My mum's friend used to work at JJB head office. She once told me a story of how sports companies would send DW sample products, in this instance trainers, to get them in his shops. Fair enough...until he began to sell the samples at inflated prices as "limited editions" and such. When catching wind of this, the companies began to send one shoe to combat his selling of prototypes. He then began to sell the one shoe to amputees.

Another story is that when going on holiday, he would land his helicopter at JJB HQ and would go through the "returned as damaged" racks to pick his holiday clothes...HE LANDED HIS HELICOPTER...TO GET CLOTHES WITH HOLES IN!!!!!

How true these stories are, I can't say, but I have no reason to doubt.

He's a massive Bono!

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 21 Nov 2012 20:03

SPARTA

Good there is still (some) magnanimity in footy. Forest did the same to us last year.

Whelan is good buds with Madejski.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 21 Nov 2012 20:14

RoyalWire
Jackson Corner Season before we went up Dave Whelan came over and thanked us. What a nice man.

DW is a renowed douche in RL circles.

My mum's friend used to work at JJB head office. She once told me a story of how sports companies would send DW sample products, in this instance trainers, to get them in his shops. Fair enough...until he began to sell the samples at inflated prices as "limited editions" and such. When catching wind of this, the companies began to send one shoe to combat his selling of prototypes. He then began to sell the one shoe to amputees.

:lol: