We Move On

123 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: We Move On

by winchester_royal » 18 Dec 2012 00:23

royalsteve
winchester_royal
:| :arrow:

eh? as stated on MOTD, etc he is a rare find with that quality at that price, so rare that they are saying he is the better quality v value player ever in the premier league

Ermm, I think Long and Doyle for a combine price of 80k might have been slightly better value m8

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 18 Dec 2012 00:24

royalsteve
ManchesterRoyals
Kebe is our Messi
Utter nonsense. Two players at 2m each would at least add something a lot better than the Championship outfit we have out there at the minute. BM bought in players of equal quality which effectively brings bugger all to the squad who are out if their depth in the PL.

What experienced premier league players can you get for 2m? That suggestion is nonsense in itself. We did well to attract pog and guthrie, normally teams that have just come up have to look at good championship players as thats the level of players that we are able to attract at this stage.

Yeah and they cant get in the team[/quote]

its a catch 22 - southampton spent £22m on TWO players plus more on others. West ham effectively spent the same on two players in wgaes for benayoun and carroll - both on near £100K/week. if you do that then you have probs if you go down - west hams method is better as they are loans - southamptons method is highly risky

for january we need to bring in decent prem players but on loans - bent? arshavin (not sure!)? maybe even bellamy?[/quote]

Yeah i would have all 3 here why not there better than what we got

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 18 Dec 2012 00:51

royalsteve
The Prisoner I keep hearing how McD had nothing to spend in the summer. I would, however, point out that he spent more on Chris Gunter than Laudrup did on Michu.

bit unfair, players like michu come around at that price once in 20 years!

And we are never going to find a player like that scouting in f*cking Ireland and non-league constantly. Why the f*ck don't we scout some other f*cking countries? This club baffles me sometimes.

murof

by murof » 18 Dec 2012 01:09

Kebe is our Messi Why is everyone blaming mcdermott?

If you look into some quotes of Brians previous interviews, he says he spent his budget. Now that was anything between 4-8 million, by far the lowest in the league. Brian did his absolute best getting a balanced squad with that budget. The person (or people) we should be blaming here are zingaravich. So far they have talked the talk but hardly invested anything substantial into the playing squad. If they were serious about staying up then we would have been spending a much more significant amount of money.

Brian is doing his best with what he has had to work with. The squad isnt good enough, he knows that and we know that. Zingaravich is to blame in my opinion. Anyone who jumps on mcdermotts back needs to get their facts right.

He may be doing his best, but that is clearly not good enough. Even with the players we have, we should be able to contain teams to fewer chances. It's just down to poor preparation. The question is, are the players playing to the guidelines set down by Brian? If they are then unfortunately he should be sacked because they are doing what they have been told and he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. If they are not doing exactly what they have been told then why are the same players still playing in the first team doing exactly the same stupid thing every single game?

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 18 Dec 2012 04:16

Madstad to Nadderud The football is boring. It wasn't that great when the team got promoted last season. We won many games with not playing well. I remember Brian saying often that the team had not found their gear. We are a poor side and should not be in the premiership. This can't carry on despite we're going down because this boring style of play needs a new lick of paint. Move on is definit
ely the words.

Sure we should be in the Premiership; we were champions last season right? Every year three are found to be wanting, but they deserve the chance to try. I think most of the negativity is around the perception that we just didn't (or aren't) trying.

But you can't base that on money spent; that's backward thinking and most clubs roll the dice by paying big. The arguments regarding player selection or style are probably better-placed but I think we've all seen what happens when a manager forces a style of play on personnel that aren't suited for it.

Personally I buy the argument that we were promoted "too soon". Wholesale changes in personnel and style don't typically work unless your budget is north of 100 million. Southampton was much more suited as well as West Ham.

And even if we did survive, is pride in being a Premier League club the only point?

Frankly I find the competition in the C'ship much more compelling than getting promoted and playing the "just need to get 17th and I'll be happy" card. What a crock. The Premier League may be "the best in the world" but not from where I sit; when you can pretty much predict the outcome every season and where the odd upset or a "newboy" or two mustering the ability to stave-off relegation makes big news, that's not very enjoyable in my book.

There, now I feel better.

mad79

by mad79 » 18 Dec 2012 05:34

Also i live for the moment and the next game. Stop fucing talking about three years ago then.

Biscuit_Boy

by Biscuit_Boy » 18 Dec 2012 05:53

mad79 Also i live for the moment and the next game. Stop fucing talking about three years ago then.

Quite. We were an utter shambles when he took over, but when we were getting humiliated in the Championship no one outside gave a stuff. Now we're getting humiliated in the most high profile league in the world on a weekly basis and it's shown all around the planet. And Reading fan's have 'never had it so good'? Cheers for that.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 18 Dec 2012 06:44

I wish half this squad would be moved on as they are simply not good enough at this level.

Let’s face it we are down with not a hope in hell of coming straight back up with this team.
Last edited by The Real Sandhurst Royal on 18 Dec 2012 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 18 Dec 2012 07:21

What completely amazes meabout this whole shambles is that McDermott and several posters on here see no problems in where we are ?? many appear to readily accept we are a mess, awful summer signings, negative boring tactics with no plan "b" but of course remember where we were three years ago and how well we have done to go from championship whipping boys to premierrship whipping boys, now thats success................

Biscuit_Boy

by Biscuit_Boy » 18 Dec 2012 07:35

howser What completely amazes meabout this whole shambles is that McDermott and several posters on here see no problems in where we are ?? many appear to readily accept we are a mess, awful summer signings, negative boring tactics with no plan "b" but of course remember where we were three years ago and how well we have done to go from championship whipping boys to premierrship whipping boys, now thats success................

Agreed. And how can we be 'punching above our weight?' That suggests you're competing at a higher level than you should be. But We Are NOT competing! Reading are a bigger club than Wigan who have been in the Premier League for, what, six or seven years? Until we get rid of this inferiority complex we're not going to belong.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 18 Dec 2012 08:24

howser What completely amazes meabout this whole shambles is that McDermott and several posters on here see no problems in where we are ??

I'm sure McDermott knows exactly what the problems are, down to the minutest detail.

But do you really, really expect a manager ever to acknowledge that in public?

It's his job to try and boost the confidence of the squad and the supporters, no matter how dire things might be in private.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 18 Dec 2012 08:24

in what way are reading a "bigger" club than wigan?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 18 Dec 2012 09:28

howser What completely amazes meabout this whole shambles is that McDermott and several posters on here see no problems in where we are ?? many appear to readily accept we are a mess

Maybe some people just have a much more positive outlook on life than you

Losing football games does not mean we are a mess. Means we are losing football games.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Dec 2012 10:36

He had significant (in RFC terms) cash in the summer and wasted virtually all of it

its not about how much we spend in relation to what reading usually spend. its about what we spent in relation to what everyone else has

He then proceeded to fall out with his two big money signings

they were both free.

in the summer the club had a choice - spend 30 million, rebuild the entire teamn, and hope they all gelled together and kept us up against a load of other teams who spent exactly the same/more.

or spend what we could afford, build the side, and take relegation if/when it came, but be in great shape.

we went for the second.
and if it was my money, id have done the same.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Dec 2012 10:40

Biscuit_Boy
howser What completely amazes meabout this whole shambles is that McDermott and several posters on here see no problems in where we are ?? many appear to readily accept we are a mess, awful summer signings, negative boring tactics with no plan "b" but of course remember where we were three years ago and how well we have done to go from championship whipping boys to premierrship whipping boys, now thats success................

Agreed. And how can we be 'punching above our weight?' That suggests you're competing at a higher level than you should be. But We Are NOT competing! Reading are a bigger club than Wigan who have been in the Premier League for, what, six or seven years? Until we get rid of this inferiority complex we're not going to belong.

wigan have been propped up to the tune of hundreds of millions of pounds from their frankly mental owner :roll:

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 18 Dec 2012 10:43

melonhead

in the summer the club had a choice - spend 30 million, rebuild the entire teamn, and hope they all gelled together and kept us up against a load of other teams who spent exactly the same/more.

or spend what we could afford, build the side, and take relegation if/when it came, but be in great shape.

we went for the second.
and if it was my money, id have done the same.

Agreed, we could not afford to revolutionise the squad. The way we went about things was the only way a club such as ours at this time could sensibly.

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 18 Dec 2012 13:00

#mcdermottbingo

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 18 Dec 2012 13:15

Has Nigel Gibbs spoken his 1st words of the season yet? Or the Assistant Manager?

Seems to me we have a 1st Team Coach who is World Class at Hide & Seek, and an Assistant who..oh, BM doesn't have an Assistant Manager.

Until that changes, we most definately will not be 'moving on'. Whether your Brian McDermott or Alex Ferguson, no PL manager can do a job without the proper coaching staff.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 18 Dec 2012 13:18

PremAddict
Madstad to Nadderud The football is boring. It wasn't that great when the team got promoted last season. We won many games with not playing well. I remember Brian saying often that the team had not found their gear. We are a poor side and should not be in the premiership. This can't carry on despite we're going down because this boring style of play needs a new lick of paint. Move on is definit
ely the words.

Sure we should be in the Premiership; we were champions last season right? Every year three are found to be wanting, but they deserve the chance to try. I think most of the negativity is around the perception that we just didn't (or aren't) trying.

But you can't base that on money spent; that's backward thinking and most clubs roll the dice by paying big. The arguments regarding player selection or style are probably better-placed but I think we've all seen what happens when a manager forces a style of play on personnel that aren't suited for it.

Personally I buy the argument that we were promoted "too soon". Wholesale changes in personnel and style don't typically work unless your budget is north of 100 million. Southampton was much more suited as well as West Ham.

And even if we did survive, is pride in being a Premier League club the only point?

Frankly I find the competition in the C'ship much more compelling than getting promoted and playing the "just need to get 17th and I'll be happy" card. What a crock. The Premier League may be "the best in the world" but not from where I sit; when you can pretty much predict the outcome every season and where the odd upset or a "newboy" or two mustering the ability to stave-off relegation makes big news, that's not very enjoyable in my book.

There, now I feel better.

Very nice post but in hindsight do you not feel you user name was a little misguided?!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 18 Dec 2012 13:21

Alexander Litvinenko
howser What completely amazes meabout this whole shambles is that McDermott and several posters on here see no problems in where we are ??

I'm sure McDermott knows exactly what the problems are, down to the minutest detail.

But do you really, really expect a manager ever to acknowledge that in public?

It's his job to try and boost the confidence of the squad and the supporters, no matter how dire things might be in private.

Sorry but no. Why play 4-4-2 then if you know what the problems are? You're telling me professional players cannot understand 4-3-3 or 4-5-1? The world and his wife can see we are overrun in midfield yet time & again we go kamikaze. That is down to one person & one person only - Brian.

123 posts