BFTMFG - Sunderland (H)

162 posts
Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTMFG - Sunderland (H)

by Cripple Creek » 02 Feb 2013 20:24

I know we are still very much in a relegation battle but what I have found very encouraging in the past few games is that some individuals seem to have really stepped up a gear and looked like the genuine Premiership article. I am thinking in particular about Mariappa. I think he is looking every bit a Premiership-standard centre back. To a lesser extent Feds and Kebe (I really wasn't sure if Kebe was anything more than a championship player to be honest but he is proving me wrong because he is far better defensively than I thought he was). As another poster said I think we might miss Legs if he is dropped in spite of his appalling passing (ignoring of course the 40 yard pass the other day). I imagine Jem Karacan is feeling a bit grim about not having established himself as an automatic first choice and I'm not sure when his chances are going to come right now.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 02 Feb 2013 20:25

Decent all round battling performance.

McAnuff much better, Feds getting back to his best although was lucky to get away with heading the rebound away after a first half fumble.
Akpan with a strong debut, Jimmy being Jimmy and well done to Blackman on a decent cameo and winning the all important free kick.

Man of the match for me was N'Diaye. :wink:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Feb 2013 20:28

Kebe was signed as a Premier player by Copps

However, I still see us as a team of scratch Prem players and decent Chump players
......and I am loving it

Finally, QP ahahahahaa

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Feb 2013 20:30

Can anyone here confirm if it was a pen on McAnuff? Looked it to me.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Feb 2013 20:32

Dont ask me, I thought Chelseas first goal was offside the other night

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 02 Feb 2013 20:43

Lot of Liegetwood slagging going on ....... yes he gave the ball away a few times, but he won it and laid it off a shed load. Had a pretty good game imo.

First half I thought the balance of the midfield with jobi/akpan/legs was the best its been all season. Jobi gave Pog a lot of support and doubled up with the wingers, something that has been sorely lacking in our 4-5-1 system

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Feb 2013 20:49

Its Keith Jones all over again JMW

Folk only picking up on his one or two negatives.................nevermind his overall contribution to the game (and the decent bits).

Some currently on the pitch can get away with a f11ck up or two, but Legs does not......the eagle-eyed scornmeister critics are just waiting for their moment.

7/10 today

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 02 Feb 2013 20:52

Indeed ...... people around me shouting for him to be subbed ..... in the first half ..... while we were 1-0 up :roll: :roll:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Feb 2013 21:01

Seems like I missed a fantastic game.

Akpan starting!????

How was he guys? Can ppl describe him a bit more, how he did in the game. And also Jobi in the centre please. Seems like he was great too? It's like having another new player.

Please more info for those of us who couldn't go. I'm intrigued and pleasantly surprised at such bold changes!!!

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 02 Feb 2013 21:02

Agree with Maguire et al, this was one of Pog's best games. Doing that up front alone is a fruitless task at best, but he held the line and did what was expected of the last man better than he has done all season. His first touch was good today plus he won some speculative balls (of which there were many! as usual).

Feds. Pretty much faultless. Yes, maybe back to his best.

Legsofwood. Woeful first touch and usual misplaced passes in the first but better in the second.

Akpan. Oooooh. The lad has got potential.

Jimmy. Never a truer chant. He does what he wants - when he wants. The most mercurial player we have ever had. Oxford all for 88 minutes and then pops up for 2 great goals. That bloke is totally baffling.

Commendations to Harte and Mcleary (surely unlucky to be subbed).

Lee Mason? Leave the attention grabbing to the players. Joke of a ref.

Cypry

by Cypry » 02 Feb 2013 21:03

2 world wars, 1 world cup Seems like I missed a fantastic game.

Akpan starting!????

How was he guys? Can ppl describe him a bit more, how he did in the game. And also Jobi in the centre please. Seems like he was great too? It's like having another new player.

Please more info for those of us who couldn't go. I'm intrigued and pleasantly surprised at such bold changes!!!

Harte had a really good game :)

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 02 Feb 2013 21:09

Akpan starting!????

He was better 1st half than 2nd (still good in 2nd) & just seemed at ease like he'd played for us for years.

His pass completion rate must be high - showed a good range of passing & was very composed when he had the ball. Always wanted it & just generally got stuck in. The ball wasn't a hot potato, he was quite happy to keep it until a decent option presented itself.

I am majorly impressed with our midfield today I have to say. They all did brilliantly. Best they've looked & the team picks itself now if they're all fit IMO.

Absolute master stroke getting this kid in - kudos to Coppell as he obviously gave us a tip off.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Feb 2013 21:11

grey_squirrel Agree with Maguire et al, this was one of Pog's best games. Doing that up front alone is a fruitless task at best, but he held the line and did what was expected of the last man better than he has done all season. His first touch was good today plus he won some speculative balls (of which there were many! as usual).

Legsofwood. Woeful first touch and usual misplaced passes in the first but better in the second.

Jimmy. Never a truer chant. He does what he wants - when he wants. The most mercurial player we have ever had. Oxford all for 88 minutes and then pops up for 2 great goals. That bloke is totally baffling.

Bloody hell - my Sky Score Centre app has gone completely screwey.

It has us scoring in the 7th minute - some bloke called Kebe. Clearly can't be right 'cos according to some bushy tailed rat look-a-like he did nothing for 88 minutes.

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 02 Feb 2013 21:18

grey_squirrel Agree with Maguire et al, this was one of Pog's best games. Doing that up front alone is a fruitless task at best, but he held the line and did what was expected of the last man better than he has done all season. His first touch was good today plus he won some speculative balls (of which there were many! as usual).

If you thought Kebe did nothing for 88 minutes then you're either blind, stupid or you weren't at the game. Or maybe all three :D

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Feb 2013 21:19

MmmMonsterMunch

Akpan starting!????

He was better 1st half than 2nd (still good in 2nd) & just seemed at ease like he'd played for us for years.

His pass completion rate must be high - showed a good range of passing & was very composed when he had the ball. Always wanted it & just generally got stuck in. The ball wasn't a hot potato, he was quite happy to keep it until a decent option presented itself.

I am majorly impressed with our midfield today I have to say. They all did brilliantly. Best they've looked & the team picks itself now if they're all fit IMO.

Absolute master stroke getting this kid in - kudos to Coppell as he obviously gave us a tip off.

Cheers mate.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Feb 2013 21:21

Cypry

Akpan starting!????

Harte had a really good game :)

Actually the lad has been good many times since spurs. I'm holding off having a go at the poor chap now. Watching him closely he does a lot of good work. We just have to be careful about his pace, because it is an Achilles heel of ours.

Royal Farmer

by Royal Farmer » 02 Feb 2013 21:27

For those who wanted to see it: http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 04,00.html

3:40 "What's the time? IT'S READING TIME!!!"

:D

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Feb 2013 21:28

Top draw.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Feb 2013 21:28