1%
Nick Hammond
1%

Total votes: 161
Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Best RFC 'keeper of all time

by Scutterbucketz » 12 Feb 2013 14:21

Who was the chap who we had on loan and then he went on to play for Man City?

Not our best but he was good.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 12 Feb 2013 14:33

It would seem that every one has forgotten our 'Hair Banded Hero' Ben Roberts. We had him on loan, was a really good keeper but for some reason we couldn't keep him. He was a 'coulda, shoulda, woulda' been great goalie for us, but alas he left, then welcome Marcus. The rest is history.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 12 Feb 2013 16:19

I'm happy to see that Steve Death has attracted a few sentimental votes but the reality is that you'd have to be a shocking senile old cunt to rate Death ahead of Shaka. What match was it that Steve Death played in during his contract dispute with RFC, and he let him about six goals without trying to save a thing?

To echo the Shaka was a great guy stories I met him at Minor Counties vs West Indies at Reading CC in 1995 which must have been just before he signed for Newcastle and he was (outwardly) happy to indulge me while I drunkenly told him how much I loved him.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 12 Feb 2013 16:24

bobbybottler I'm happy to see that Steve Death has attracted a few sentimental votes OK,accepted but the reality is that you'd have to be a shocking senile old cunt harsh to rate Death ahead of Shaka. What match was it that Steve Death played in during his contract dispute with RFC, and he let him about six goals without trying to save a thing?
if it was Chesterfield (1-7, around 1979), I was there. He did seem to make an effort

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 12 Feb 2013 16:30

floyd__streete
southbank1871 +1 to that TBMers. I heart Shaka Hislop.

+2. One of my favourite human beings ever.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to be a great keeper, but it helps!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Feb 2013 16:50

No real mention of Gary Westwood despite the fact that he was instrumental in 13 straight wins - without the penalty save at Plymouth .....

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 12 Feb 2013 17:26

LUX I'm....a shocking senile old cunt

bobbybottler What match was it that Steve Death played in during his contract dispute with RFC, and he let him about six goals without trying to save a thing?

Lux if it was Chesterfield (1-7, around 1979), I was there. He did seem to make an effort

No, later, I'm thinking a 6-1er against Hudds. It might have been his last game for us.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Feb 2013 17:31

windermere_royal Deathy was a great keeper at the level we were playing at the time, he would have been found out at the highest level because of his size

Not sure whether he would. I seem to remember him having a similar jumping ability to Noel Hunt. He was also exceptionally agile and without doubt the bravest (madest) Reading keeper I have ever seen.

Maybe he would have grown a bit taller but for his smoking!

Finally, it was only when I saw some old pictures that I realised that this was back in the days before goalkeeping gloves!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Feb 2013 17:35

bobbybottler I'm happy to see that Steve Death has attracted a few sentimental votes but the reality is that you'd have to be a shocking senile old cunt to rate Death ahead of Shaka. What match was it that Steve Death played in during his contract dispute with RFC, and he let him about six goals without trying to save a thing?

Perhaps a good job that Steve is no longer with us because that last statement is probably libelous! I also think it is incorrect and very unfair on him. He may have fallen out with the club (and I am sure there were two sides to that story) but I don't think he would have acted unprofessionally like that.

If we were to extend the debate to Southbank favourites then Steve Mautone needs to be added to the list!

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 12 Feb 2013 18:22

Stooper Nick Colgan

Oh the LOLZ in the Cuckoo Lane end when he was such a cripple that he couldn't even kick...... Taxi!

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 12 Feb 2013 18:25

I've been fortunate to see all those goalies mentioned in the poll. TBH anyone voting who hasn't seen them all shouldn't vote. How can they possibly make a fair judgement?

FWIW Steve Death for me followed by Shaka.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 12 Feb 2013 19:36

Shaka by a mile.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 12 Feb 2013 20:19

bobbybottler I'm happy to see that Steve Death has attracted a few sentimental votes but the reality is that you'd have to be a shocking senile old cunt to rate Death ahead of Shaka. What match was it that Steve Death played in during his contract dispute with RFC, and he let him about six goals without trying to save a thing?

Another shocking old senile checking in.

Lolz at all of that really. Think your love for Shaka is blinding you somewhat to reality.

You don't think that's a bit of a churlish thing to post? Steve Death played for Reading for over 12 years and 537 games. Won two promotions, player of the year 4 times. Held the League record as mentioned above for the longest time without conceding a goal until it was beaten by Van der Sar. Can't see any sentimentality involved in that. Yet, you choose to pick out his last game for the club.

Shaka might have been Reading's most technically gifted keeper in the modern era. Deathy was undoubtedly the greatest RFC keeper in my opinion given that he did it over so many more years.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 Feb 2013 23:03

Steve Death is basically the choice of everyone who thinks Robin Friday is the best player of all time. Not a criticism, just saying.

Shaka is the choice for those of use l8 80s or 90s kids. New generation would prolly say Marcus.

I've only seen about Westwood onwards but definitely Shaka for me. Not perfect but a fantastic keeper on his day.

AWAY JEFF, AWAAAAAY

royals6719

by royals6719 » 12 Feb 2013 23:26

Seen the greats, ie Deathie, Shaka, Stevie Francis, USA and the not so greats Ronnie Fearon (omg), Tin Tin Hammond (nearly as small as Deathie) and think Shaka is No1 - whoever was at The Valley when Osborn scored that wonderful volley will not forget Shaka's one on one save when score was one all - that was World class.

Deathie/USA/Francis all great in their own ways - 2-3 defeat at Stamford Bridge in League Cup showed Francis' agility, Deathie had glue stuck to that green top as balls always ended up there and USA was superb in a time when our beloved RFC which the dizzy heights for the first time. They were all great in their own way.

One post script is statistically one player that never let in a goal in a Reading goalie shirt was Trevor senior, so ..............

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 12 Feb 2013 23:27

Maguire Steve Death is basically the choice of everyone who thinks Robin Friday is the best player of all time. Not a criticism, just saying.

Shaka is the choice for those of use l8 80s or 90s kids. New generation would prolly say Marcus.

I've only seen about Westwood onwards but definitely Shaka for me. Not perfect but a fantastic keeper on his day.

AWAY JEFF, AWAAAAAY

Agreed Mags. You tend to choose, I think, players that stood out for you when you were most easily influenced, i.e young.

I completely understand why you wouldn't get the love for Deathy and Friday. No reason why you should.

I'm sure our views are coloured by nostalagia slightly but both Robin and Steve were icons of their time.

Also, "sentimentality" about what they were like is a somewhat risible comment. Not attributing that to you, but Deathy's achievement, to me stand the test of time.

It's a different world these days, admittedly. Not entirely sure the younger fans, and I include you in that!, appreciate what rock stars Robin Friday and Steve Death were in those days. It's kind of weird really, because, and I can only speak for myself, but the players were much more accessible in those days and much more "normal" yet to me were more superstars. I know a lot of it is because I'm a senile old sob. (sic) but not all.

royals6719

by royals6719 » 12 Feb 2013 23:33

Remember spotting Deathie having a fag when walking from his flat in tilehurst road to norfolk road before a game - cant imagine Feds doing that - is that where he is going wrong!!!!!!!!

Derbyshire Royal

by Derbyshire Royal » 13 Feb 2013 00:03

I voted for Deathy, only because he was the keeper for most of the games I actually got to watch. Certainly Shaka was extreme class.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 13 Feb 2013 00:08

Steve Death was a great 'one on one' stopper, and had an unusual half volley drop kick. He was definately a bit different, interesting ideosycronisities. There is a great pre-season team photo somewhere that was taken with the whole team stood pitchside, all having their arms uniformly folded across the front, except for Deathy who had his hands down his shorts holding on to his wedding tackle. Great goalie, hard to imagine he's been gone 10 years already.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 13 Feb 2013 00:52

Para Handy
Maguire Steve Death is basically the choice of everyone who thinks Robin Friday is the best player of all time. Not a criticism, just saying.

AWAY JEFF, AWAAAAAY

Agreed Mags. You tend to choose, I think, players that stood out for you when you were most easily influenced, i.e young.

I completely understand why you wouldn't get the love for Deathy and Friday. No reason why you should.

I'm sure our views are coloured by nostalagia slightly but both Robin and Steve were icons of their time.

Also, "sentimentality" about what they were like is a somewhat risible comment. Not attributing that to you, but Deathy's achievement, to me stand the test of time.

It's a different world these days, admittedly. Not entirely sure the younger fans, and I include you in that!, appreciate what rock stars Robin Friday and Steve Death were in those days. It's kind of weird really, because, and I can only speak for myself, but the players were much more accessible in those days and much more "normal" yet to me were more superstars. I know a lot of it is because I'm a senile old sob. (sic) but not all.

I don't agree Para, I saw Death and Shaka and all (well most) of the lesser-skilled artisans in between and after and I don't see how anyone could think Death was actually better than Shaka for any reason other than a non-football ability one - Death might be your favourite but he wasn't a better keeper than Hislop, not a chance. If so fair enough but I'm right 8)