Zingarevich

292 posts
Basingstoke Royal

Re: Zingarevich

by Basingstoke Royal » 26 Mar 2013 13:24

I felt quite sorry for him. For the media to make out we all hate him because of his broken promises is harsh.

I'm happy that we have his investment and him in charge.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Mar 2013 13:28

Maguire
MmmMonsterMunch +1 Totally agree. You could see from that interview AZ was trying to keep his cool at the constant digs that he didn’t back his manager

Yep I could tell that from listening to Radio Berks, it's even more obvious when you can see the face.

Totally agree. It's the first time he's probably faced anything like hostile questioning, certainly in an envirnoment where he can't give it back like he could in a boardroom.

Esteban

by Esteban » 26 Mar 2013 13:31

winchester_royal
melonhead
winchester_royal He was open about the club's failings re transfers, and the fact that Adkins chose to come here shows AZ not to be the evil tyrant some make him out to be. It's also pretty clear that it was mostly McD's decision not to spend. If this wasn't true we'd have heard about it from Brian by now.

not clear at all.

brian came out on numerous occasions in run up to january and in january at the very least implying the opposite
~'i had a budget, and i spent it all'

Dis'greed, he certainly never said that about January.

I thought Anton made it as clear as possible without being harsh on McD.

Adkins didn't need this job, he'd have had his pick of just about every job in England outside the top 12. He wouldn't have considered taking it unless he thought Anton was the real deal. More convinced than ever that we absolutely have the right owner to take us forward.

He could have avoided the presser today, like so many owners do when they make a potentially unpopular decision, but he fronted up and faced the music.

ANTON IN, ADKINS IN

I think you may be a little blinded by your loyalty to AZ/hope (in general, not Akpan), but broadly speaking +1 to this. Melonhead has a point too though, we were told that the summer was a joint decision and McD spent his budget. Sounds like January was a different matter though.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 26 Mar 2013 13:34

winchester_royal
melonhead
winchester_royal He was open about the club's failings re transfers, and the fact that Adkins chose to come here shows AZ not to be the evil tyrant some make him out to be. It's also pretty clear that it was mostly McD's decision not to spend. If this wasn't true we'd have heard about it from Brian by now.

not clear at all.

brian came out on numerous occasions in run up to january and in january at the very least implying the opposite

I thought Anton made it as clear as possible without being harsh on McD.

Adkins didn't need this job, he'd have had his pick of just about every job in England outside the top 12. He wouldn't have considered taking it unless he thought Anton was the real deal. More convinced than ever that we absolutely have the right owner to take us forward.

He could have avoided the presser today, like so many owners do when they make a potentially unpopular decision, but he fronted up and faced the music.

ANTON IN, ADKINS IN

What the FK!
"Adkins didn't need this job, he'd have had his pick of just about every job in England outside the top 12."

I think you need your head examined. He would not even raise a flicker on anyone else's Radar.

IIRC Leeds were interested and errrr well...................err thats it folks!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Mar 2013 13:36

SHORT AND CURLY IIRC Leeds were interested and errrr well...................err thats it folks!

In the press conference he said he never met Leeds

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Mar 2013 13:43

Wycombe Royal
Royal Lady
BR2
I think he may have joined in a kick around when they were over in Portugal so we bought him.
It then followed that we bought Akpan after having a kick around v Crawley and the Blackman after a kick around v Sheff.Utd.
So the club spent over £2 miilion after having a few kick arounds.
That may have been the Reading Way but let's hope that Nigel does it the Saints way and buys players that have been fully scouted and perhaps more importantly tries to get somewhere near the quality of young players that Saints have got over the years through the academy.

I still wonder how much input McD had in these signings you know. Suppose we'll never know!

Adkins is the first manager in a long time not to have had any previous connection with RFC - I wonder if that will make a difference to him demanding money or whatever?

It depends what you are calling a long time - Burns, Coppell, Bullivant, McGhee.......

McGhee was on our books....

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 26 Mar 2013 13:49

I think Anton did OK.

Some seem to forget that English is not his first language and it is never easy to convey every correct sentiment when speaking anything other than your natural tongue.

I also thought he was quite respectful towards Brian, however it did appear apparent that one of the main factors in his decision to sack Brian was not improving the squad when Brian had the opportunity to do so.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Mar 2013 13:51

Big Ern I think Anton did OK.

Some seem to forget that English is not his first language and it is never easy to convey every correct sentiment when speaking anything other than your natural tongue.

I also thought he was quite respectful towards Brian, however it did appear apparent that one of the main factors in his decision to sack Brian was not improving the squad when Brian had the opportunity to do so.

Yes agree. IIRC at one point Anton said "there was a budget" and the journalist (sticking to his angle) said "so you admit you didn't back McDermott?"

He was actually saying the opposite but the muddled English didn't convey it properly.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 26 Mar 2013 13:55

winchester_royal this wasn't true we'd have heard about it from Brian by now.

I'm sure most sensible fans realise Brian will have been forced to keep silent due to the terms of his dismissal. For example today was the first time Adkins has spoken publically since he was fired and he could say very little. It will be a long time before we hear Brian's version.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 26 Mar 2013 13:56

Basingstoke Royal I felt quite sorry for him. For the media to make out we all hate him because of his broken promises is harsh.

I'm happy that we have his investment and him in charge.

What investment? Anton probably spent more on sacking Brian than he ever did on on players. If Anton has indeed lost 40% of everything he has sunk into this club in the last 12 months in a Cypriot bank account, thats not a lot of money!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Mar 2013 13:58

Royal Lady McGhee was on our books....

He joined us as Player-Manager with no previous connection to the club.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Mar 2013 13:58

Z175

I'm sure most sensible fans realise Brian will have been forced to keep silent due to the terms of his dismissal. For example today was the first time Adkins has spoken publically since he was fired and he could say very little. It will be a long time before we hear Brian's version.

Adkins can't say anything because he's taking them to court. Brian wouldn't have recommended us to him when they spoke if Anton had screwed him over. Any 'sensible' fan will realise that.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Mar 2013 14:07

If I was a journalist at the press conference today - I would be worried if my next assignment was to review the Russian wood pulp industry

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 26 Mar 2013 14:22

The last company I worked for was absolutely dreadful about anyone who left. Each and every time some departed they were pillored both inside and outside the company. Even one of the shareholder said to me "I dread to think what they would say about me if i ever left"

I myself suffered the self same snide remarks. "Downsized to get rid of deadwood" etc Not the fact that they went bust 2 years later had anything to do with it! (although that wasn't their fault of course as they blamed the bankers

Most clubs have relieved the manager of buying players long ago. Sure they may consult but if Anton wanted to spend (considering the last time Coppell didn't and got relegated even though funds were available to him) like Abramovich does then he would have bought the players and told BM to get on with it.

If you go down then assume you won't need new players, if you stay up I wonder what the actual player budget will be??

Enjoy the ride :D

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 26 Mar 2013 14:25

Z175

And what Chairman is likely to ever employ him again if he bleats to the press after being dismissed?

Nope you keep stum, take the money and play the game....

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Mar 2013 15:29

winchester_royal
melonhead not clear at all.

he did say it.but as you can see i said he said it in the run up to january, when talking about the summer.
in a number of interviews around the same time.

Nov 15th:#
Reading boss Brian McDermott has rubbished suggestions he will be bringing in 10 players in January.

Reports suggested owner Anton Zingarevich would be willing to splash the cash on a new team in the transfer window in order to ensure survival but McDermott has sought to clarify the situation.

"First and foremost I would never sign 10 players in January," he told Sky Sports News.

"We wouldn't even have the budget to suggest we could sign those players.

"The owner actually said we've been looking at 10 players. Well actually we've been looking at hundreds of different players because that's what we do, scouts go out.

"January to January we'll see what we've got budget-wise and what we can do.

"Anyone who comes in January, they've got to be in a position where they can hit the ground running.

"What I don't want is any mixed messages coming out. I knew what my budget was in the summer and my budget was spent. I'm waiting to see what my budget will be in January.

"There isn't a bundle of money to be spent in January and I think it's important that the fans know that because it isn't the case."
Last edited by melonhead on 26 Mar 2013 15:33, edited 2 times in total.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 26 Mar 2013 15:31

Maguire
Big Ern I think Anton did OK.

Yes agree. IIRC at one point Anton said "there was a budget" and the journalist (sticking to his angle) said "so you admit you didn't back McDermott?"

He was actually saying the opposite but the muddled English didn't convey it properly.

Actually thought the journo asking these particular questions was a bit of a twat who was over aggressive. He obviously had a pre-written story about Anton not providing funds and was desperately trying to provoke quotes he could use out of context to back up his story.

Very telling though, and I am now sure the reason Brian was sacked as he did not improve when even the owner was suggesting it. Maybe it was Brian stuck in the old 'Prudent Mindset" combined with too much loyalty to players. Lets be honest the only big name player Brian mentioned he wanted to spend big on was an ex player Brian knew well. Anton knows his football and just as we could see we needed to spend, so could he and Brian's failures, partly down to reluctance in the transfer market cost him his job. Our current plight justifies Anton's beliefs, so if the owner gets it right and the manager gets it so wrong, i can see why Brian's position became untenable in Anton's mind.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 26 Mar 2013 15:34

I think there's good evidence we were interested in a number of more expensive players, but couldn't get them here. I think the problem for AZ may have been more Brian's lack of pull in the market rather than simple unwillingness to spend.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Mar 2013 15:37

i think youd be better off blaming the fact it was reading, just up in the prem, and looking like going straight down again that did for any of our big money targets in january, rather than their opinion of our manager

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 26 Mar 2013 16:35

It's hilarious how so many on here give AZ the benefit of the doubt based on no evidence whatsoever and seem to think of him as some kindly benefactor.

I prefer to look at his family's past (Google AZ's dad's business "dealings") and that TSI is a money-making vehicle (nothing wrong with that) - not some
charitable fund. The Zingarevich family are deadly (literally) ruthless, and he'll be off when he and Chris Samuelson have made a few million quid profit.

Any other interpreaton is crashingly naive.

292 posts