Why wont the club tell us the truth?

196 posts
Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Why wont the club tell us the truth?

by Scutterbucketz » 03 Sep 2013 13:39

Norfolk Royal
Scutterbucketz
TBM Its obvious that Hammond is the problem

Get rid of him and get someone like Joe Kinnear in, someone who knows their beans

Was going to suggest the same.

Is this the Kinnear that is at odds with the manager, claims to be able to pick up the phone to anyone in the game, then signed nobody in the transfer window?

Yeah that's him. You forgot to mention his "nice hair", but focus on the negatives if you really must.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 03 Sep 2013 13:45

We're in a competitive situation and two of our closest rivals are QPR and Wigan.

How did they do in the window?

Oh.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 13:47

Is that cos they have richer owners who are willing and able to pay over the odds?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:48

melonhead Is that cos they have richer owners who are willing and able to pay over the odds?

But if everyone is paying those prices then they aren't over the odds are they - they are just the prices that market forces dictate.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:52

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Norfolk Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup Spot on binfield.

Some posters fail to realise that the complaint of almost every complainer isn't simply that we didn't get more players, but that we were lead to believe we would in an attempt to bounce straight back. Few of us have a problem with caution and going brick by brick, but we just need honesty. Weve had years if honesty with Madejski taking about ambition and never showing any, only for him to eventually admit he needed to hand the reigns over to someone else who could. And now we have the same issue!

My concern is will we have years more dishonesty and ambiguity from a naive young new owner talking of one thing but doing another?

That's a misrepresentation really. SJM has gone on the record numerous times over the years saying how football was a ridiculous financial gamble and was ready to sell to someone who had more money than him. It virtually became his mantra in recent years.

True, but the overwhelming message was one of ambition with this message mixed in somewhere. The advert was clearly and undisputely ambition, the smallprint was one of caution. That smallprint only became the mantra in very recent times as you say. No one can say he was totally oblivious of the expectations of ambition he instilled in the masses surely.

What's Anton's excuse anyhow?

Tbh I thought SJM's overwhelming message was that he wanted out.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:52

ddetisi Just because you pay to watch a team, buy a hot dog and a drink doesn't get you a seat in the boardroom.

The club is a business you choose to buy into. The sooner you realise that Antonio does not have to listen to your bitching the better.

If you read (or perhaps more accurately, understood) the OP, my point is my disappointment in the promises that were made - aiming to win the league, signing 7 new players, not having to sell our best players etc when they are flogging the season tickets, then..... silence.

In any other service business, the provider makes a statement that is the basis of your contract (sign up to our service and we will deliver X, Y &Z). It can be argued that I and others bought our season tickets on the back of the public statements made by the owner and the manager regarding strengthening the team. You cannot deny that the club have fallen short, based on their public promises of improving the team through acquisition of new players and right now, we look a long way off being able to win the league.

Finally, I am not naive enough to think the Anton gives a flying f*ck what you or I think, but this is a forum for Reading FC fans to express their views about the club and the team and I have no qualms about posting my views on here which is the appropriate place for these discussions. Don’t be upset if some peoples views differ from your own.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 03 Sep 2013 13:54

A glory hunting Reading fan, how quaint.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Sep 2013 13:55

melonhead Is that cos they have richer owners who are willing and able to pay over the odds?

Depends if you consider £4m for the one the best strikers in the division over the odds. Or likely a similar fee for one of the division's most promising wingers, Matt Phillips. Or the likes of Richard Dunne and Danny Simpson on frees. Or if it's overly risky to sign Assou-Ekotto and Tom Carroll on loan deals.

Sorry, I'm struggling to see the club having paid over the odds here.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 13:56

I agree. It's disappointing.
What now

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 03 Sep 2013 13:57

Royal Lady
ddetisi Just because you pay to watch a team, buy a hot dog and a drink doesn't get you a seat in the boardroom.

The club is a business you choose to buy into. The sooner you realise that Antonio does not have to listen to your bitching the better.

He may not HAVE to, but SHOULD.

Why?

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:57

melonhead I agree. It's disappointing.
What now

Mid table finish if we're lucky.....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:58

Why won't the club tell you the truth?

Because when they do it makes no difference and none of you can handle it.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Sep 2013 13:59

ddetisi
Royal Lady

He may not HAVE to, but SHOULD.

Why?

Because he might learn something! If he knows that by talking up the club and doing bugger all about it in reality, the fans aren't backing him - perhaps he'll learn not to talk the talk without walking the walk, for a start.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 13:59

Sanguine

Depends if you consider £4m for the one the best strikers in the division over the odds. Or likely a similar fee for one of the division's most promising wingers, Matt Phillips. Or the likes of Richard Dunne and Danny Simpson on frees. Or if it's overly risky to sign Assou-Ekotto and Tom Carroll on loan deals.

Sorry, I'm struggling to see the clu9b having paid over the odds here.
is say 4 million was way too much for a club that loses ~5million a year at thus level.even with parachutes which merely helps u absorb the increased wage bill you have aquired.
And the free transfers if Drenthe and bridge are as good as those mentioned

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 14:01

Binfield Royal
What now

I disagree. I'd say midtable is achievable without luck. Playoffs with luck.

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 03 Sep 2013 14:03

Sissoko held talks

The Royals will continue to operate in the transfer market over the coming weeks, with out-of-contract players still available to us and the emergency window opening in seven days’ time, for both loan deals and those with a view to permanent signings.

On deadline day and this morning the Royals held talks with vastly experienced midfielder Momo Sissoko, and talks with him may continue in the future as he is out of contract.

The Royals have already signed Wayne Bridge, Danny Williams and Royston Drenthe this summer; with those additions we have a strong Championship squad and have named seven full internationals on the bench in recent weeks. We have also signed players on renewed contracts, and importantly retained top players despite interest from other clubs.

We will of course keep our supporters informed of any further developments in due course.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 03 Sep 2013 14:03

melonhead
Binfield Royal
What now

Hope you are right. But then, us and the play offs...... :|

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 14:05

Royal Lady
ddetisi
Royal Lady He may not HAVE to, but SHOULD.

Why?

Because he might learn something! If he knows that by talking up the club and doing bugger all about it in reality, the fans aren't backing him - perhaps he'll learn not to talk the talk without walking the walk, for a start.
I think he already realised that more spending will make promotion more likely. But there us a difference between knowing and understanding that, and having the ability and funds to do so

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 14:07

Binfield Royal
melonhead
Binfield Royal

Hope you are right. But then, us and the play offs...... :|

Didn't say owt about whether we would win the bloody things

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 03 Sep 2013 14:09

RFCUK Sissoko held talks

The Royals will continue to operate in the transfer market over the coming weeks, with out-of-contract players still available to us and the emergency window opening in seven days’ time, for both loan deals and those with a view to permanent signings.

On deadline day and this morning the Royals held talks with vastly experienced midfielder Momo Sissoko, and talks with him may continue in the future as he is out of contract.

The Royals have already signed Wayne Bridge, Danny Williams and Royston Drenthe this summer; with those additions we have a strong Championship squad and have named seven full internationals on the bench in recent weeks. We have also signed players on renewed contracts, and importantly retained top players despite interest from other clubs.

We will of course keep our supporters informed of any further developments in due course.

Is that an actual statement or a send-up?
It could easily be either.
Apart from McCarthy who are these "top players" that have been retained?

196 posts