Nick Blackman Appreciation Thread

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Nick Blackman Appreciation Thread

by P!ssed Off » 04 Jan 2014 20:19

winchester_royal The one shining light of the first half. The only player to look like making something happen.

Yep.
Unlucky to go off, looked to have a hip injury.
Appeared the only player first half that had the guts to run at their defence and try and make something happen, rather than stand stationary with the ball, before passing it sideways or backwards.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jan 2014 21:01

Reading's motm again apparently.

Big-up kid!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 04 Jan 2014 21:10

He got the train home.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 04 Jan 2014 21:11

He's the only player I feel positive about at the moment. Playing with a lot of heart, and looks reborn playing wide off the striker. Deserves his place, and further pushes McAnuff closer to the door you have to feel.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Jan 2014 21:13

AthleticoSpizz Reading's motm again apparently.

Big-up kid!

No, Feds by a mile was MoTM.
In the 57 minutes Blackman was on the pitch he was our best outfield player though.
IMO.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jan 2014 21:38

mmmm in hindsight...agree...Feds with his superior distribution is probably what we need right now.

Does today make him undroppable?

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 04 Jan 2014 21:57

Really good performance from him again. My one criticism today would be that he didn't hit the byline and cross enough, but that was true of everyone, they'd cut inside and swing a deep cross that would make it incredibly easy for the defence/keeper to deal with.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 04 Jan 2014 22:03

AthleticoSpizz mmmm in hindsight...agree...Feds with his superior distribution is probably what we need right now.

Have to agree with that actually. Pearce wanted the ball to pass out from the back, but Federici told him to get knotted as we needed the ball further up the pitch, and he was absolutely spot on. Pearce would only lump it up front anyway, or put further pressure on the defence. Feds kicking is definitely needed. Sadly, as good as a goalie as McCarthy is, we need to cash in. We wont be able to keep him longer than the summer any way, we need the money, and we need better distribution. Seems the right time to part, though ideally you don't want to lose quality like that.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Jan 2014 22:11

Not wishing to blow smoke up Feds arse (this is a Nick Blackman thread after all)...but our best days since Marcus, (one or two games in the Prem notwithstanding) were with him in goal.

He's had bad press and a rough ride by most on here, but right now, and at this level, he is deserving to be starting in front of Macca.............sorry

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Jan 2014 23:55

SPARTA
AthleticoSpizz mmmm in hindsight...agree...Feds with his superior distribution is probably what we need right now.

Have to agree with that actually. Pearce wanted the ball to pass out from the back, but Federici told him to get knotted as we needed the ball further up the pitch, and he was absolutely spot on. Pearce would only lump it up front anyway, or put further pressure on the defence. Feds kicking is definitely needed. Sadly, as good as a goalie as McCarthy is, we need to cash in. We wont be able to keep him longer than the summer any way, we need the money, and we need better distribution. Seems the right time to part, though ideally you don't want to lose quality like that.

I'll have to take some credit for that :wink: . (plus my cousin)
We were shouting at him to ignore Pearce and Gorkss at goal kicks. What's the point, he is ten times better at kicking than the pair of them combined.
He seemed to be wrestling with his conscience at a goal kick early on, but we seemed to tip him over the edge and he booted a lovely ball into Brighton's half.
From then on, Feds pretty much did his own thing. And it was marvelous!

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 05 Jan 2014 00:00

AthleticoSpizz Not wishing to blow smoke up Feds arse (this is a Nick Blackman thread after all)...but our best days since Marcus, (one or two games in the Prem notwithstanding) were with him in goal.

He's had bad press and a rough ride by most on here, but right now, and at this level, he is deserving to be starting in front of Macca.............sorry

Possibly, I think they're not too far away in ability, but the argument, imo, was always who has got the better potential?
Obviously McCarthy has more potential, however, it's pretty bloody unlikely that he'll realise this potential at Reading so we might as well get Feds in now and sell McCarthy rather than wait to do exactly this at the end of the season, by which time Feds may well have decreased in ability after another half season of inactivity.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Jan 2014 00:45

AthleticoSpizz Not wishing to blow smoke up Feds arse (this is a Nick Blackman thread after all)...but our best days since Marcus, (one or two games in the Prem notwithstanding) were with him in goal.

No shit? The vast majority of our games since Marcus have had Federici in goal, it should surprise no one to hear that the vast majority of our good games since then have also had Federici in goal.

I rate Federici highly, always have done. I also rate McCarthy highly. I would be happy with either keeping goal for us, even in the Premier League.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2014 00:54

so..apart from the big-man "no sh1t"...what are you actually trying to express to us SCIAG?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 16 Jan 2014 10:42

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... ve-6513232

One incident that irked some Royals fans was after Blackman scored during the 3-1 win at Derby in September.

Instead of celebrating he just stared at the travelling support behind the goal at Pride Park.

“I didn’t know people have been talking about that,” he said.

“That was just how I felt at the time.

“It wasn’t anything more than that, it was just me showing some emotion.”

:|

If that's him showing emotion then bloody hell, keep him away from me at any parties, bet he'd be a right laugh

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 18 Jan 2014 19:27

Big Foot http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/blackman-ive-much-more-give-6513232

One incident that irked some Royals fans was after Blackman scored during the 3-1 win at Derby in September.

Instead of celebrating he just stared at the travelling support behind the goal at Pride Park.

“I didn’t know people have been talking about that,” he said.

“That was just how I felt at the time.

“It wasn’t anything more than that, it was just me showing some emotion.”

:|

If that's him showing emotion then bloody hell, keep him away from me at any parties, bet he'd be a right laugh

Pretty sure there are different emotions.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jan 2014 19:29

Did he celebrate today or did he give us evil stares again?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 18 Jan 2014 19:33

2 world wars, 1 world cup Did he celebrate today or did he give us evil stares again?

No he enjoyed it. Top finish. I was willing him to have a crack and not pass it - glad he did.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jan 2014 19:34

MmmMonsterMunch
2 world wars, 1 world cup Did he celebrate today or did he give us evil stares again?

No he enjoyed it. Top finish. I was willing him to have a crack and not pass it - glad he did.

Cool. In that case, finally, welcome to Reading, Nick! :D

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 18 Jan 2014 19:54

He's been a completely different player since the turn of the year. Luckily for us he's almost like a new signing.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 18 Jan 2014 19:58

I was a bit disappointed after about 5 minutes of him being on. McCleary was on fire today, and Blackman wasn't even close to his standard, so it was good he got his goal.