SIGNED - Anton Ferdinand

334 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Anton Ferdinand

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Aug 2014 15:09

Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew
Royal Rother Don't forget, we are better than Sharp and Ferdinand now.

Absolutely-two players with poor injury records that now might not be even up to Championship standard with QPR letting Ferdinand go on a free (and fit enough to play just 3 games in Turkey last season) and Doncaster or Scunthorpe are the only places where Sharp seems to shine.
Our aim should still be to get back to the Premier League having finished 7th last season and with further parachute payments to come so yes we should be looking at better and probably younger and fitter than these two.

Clueless.

I blame you absolutely for distracting me from more important matters-racing at Newbury.
Victor's Bet has just won at 20/1.
The boys will be round shortly to sort you out.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Anton Ferdinand

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Aug 2014 15:10

So serious that I posted it twice.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 03 Aug 2014 15:12

I'll be happy if we stay up this season, after giving a lot of the junior players decent chances to establish themselves at this level and to develop as footballers.

I seem to remember a quote by a respected pundit who said (words to the effect) " You never win anything with kids" He said this about Man U at the start of a season where they played five youngsters in the first team and went on to win the league and cup double.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 03 Aug 2014 15:41

Alan Hansen on MOTD

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Aug 2014 17:03

Victor Meldrew So serious that I posted it twice.

No, it's because you're such a f***ing idiot, Mr "I-know-it-all".

Royal Rother is equally a f***ing idiot.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 17:34

Nice to see you pop in on the way back from the pub, now do run along to your special place Village.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 17:38

Victor Meldrew So serious that I posted it twice.

4 times actually! :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Aug 2014 18:32

Victor Meldrew
Ian Royal
Victor Meldrew Absolutely-two players with poor injury records that now might not be even up to Championship standard with QPR letting Ferdinand go on a free (and fit enough to play just 3 games in Turkey last season) and Doncaster or Scunthorpe are the only places where Sharp seems to shine.
Our aim should still be to get back to the Premier League having finished 7th last season and with further parachute payments to come so yes we should be looking at better and probably younger and fitter than these two.

You don't seem to understand finance.

Just having parachute payments doesn't mean you can afford to spend more than you're already spending. They're there so you don't have to cut as drastically when your annual income would otherwise drop from circa £50m to about £15m. Given we're blatantly already spending more than we've got including the parachute payments, exactly what do you expect us to spend to find younger, better, and fitter players right now?

Having spent nearly 50 years working in finance it is something that I do know a little bit about.
Parachute payments do not have to be designated for any specific purpose.
Now that the club has gone some of the way in getting rid of players that it foolishly and recklessly tied in to excessive contract earnings and can anticipate further parachute payments as well as (presumably) some additional funds from the Thais there really should be money to spend on new players and as intimated elsewhere we can expect 4 or 5 without breaking the bank.

If the position is as dire as you paint then it looks as though we have been one of the worst run clubs rather than the "well run" line that we were fed time and again in the past.
BTW I love the certainty with which so many people post on the question of the club's finances when in fact it is just one big guess.

We've certainly taken some steps to cut costs, though hardly major ones. And the Thais may make a difference, but it'll be their investment, not the parachute payments.

We were well run. Then Anton came in a screwed it up with marquee signings on unsustainable wages. It only takes 18 months of (not actually that much) madness to put you in trouble.

The basic information on our finances is out there. You have to extrapolate a bit for the current situation because the accounts are basically a year behind. But it's not that hard. I won't comment on you working in finance for 50 years.

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 03 Aug 2014 18:47

I'm pretty sure SJM has already mentioned that the club had already borrowed against the parachute payments... If that is the case then both of your arguments are pointless..... I don't work in finance. :roll

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 18:52

:|
:?:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 18:57

Ian Royal We were well run. Then Anton came in a screwed it up with marquee signings on unsustainable wages. It only takes 18 months of (not actually that much) madness to put you in trouble.

This is of course spot on. I don't really understand how it cannot be grasped by one and all.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Aug 2014 19:11

JamieY26 I'm pretty sure SJM has already mentioned that the club had already borrowed against the parachute payments... If that is the case then both of your arguments are pointless..... I don't work in finance. :roll

I think everyone is hoping / assuming the borrowing was against last season's parachute payment. Borrowing against future years' payments to cover just one year is a cluster-oxf*rd of absolutely epic proportions, which I don't buy without cast iron evidence.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 03 Aug 2014 19:13, edited 2 times in total.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 03 Aug 2014 19:12

JamieY26 I'm pretty sure SJM has already mentioned that the club had already borrowed against the parachute payments... If that is the case then both of your arguments are pointless..... I don't work in finance. :roll

Dellor did mention on Friday that this years parachute payment was being used to pay Vibrac off. Take it with a pinch of salt, given Dellors been fed all summer by Samuelson's ego , but that would make sense, as it is guaranteed income.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Aug 2014 19:14

El Diablo

Dellor did mention on Friday that this years parachute payment was being used to pay Vibrac off. Take it with a pinch of salt, given Dellors been fed all summer by Samuelson's ego , but that would make sense, as it is guaranteed income.

Not sure how it could be given it won't be paid until June ish next year, and the Thai bid is to clear our debts, including Vibrac. Unless you mean the one for last season, which of course makes absolute sense.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 19:55

Dellor said the parachute payment was due to be received in August.

I've given up taking anything he says about finance seriously so I pretty much ignored it. He doesn't have a scooby imo.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Aug 2014 20:45

Royal Rother Dellor said the parachute payment was due to be received in August.

I've given up taking anything he says about finance seriously so I pretty much ignored it. He doesn't have a scooby imo.

If there's one thing I learnt from years of listening to him on the radio... that pretty much sums him up. He's basically just a clueless fan who's stolen a job in journalism.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 03 Aug 2014 21:40

We don't care about Anton

He don't care about us

All we care about is Reading FC.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 04 Aug 2014 09:21

It would not be wild speculation to suggest that given the relationship between Samrit and Anton Ferdinand (why did they have a press conference if he didn't sign btw?) that this transfer, if it happens, is being imposed on Adkins.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Aug 2014 09:29

Unless they've said "Hi Nige. We're gr8 m8s with Anton Ferdinand, and he'd love to sign, if he's a player you're interested in? If not, don't worry about it. Have a nice day."

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 04 Aug 2014 09:35

True. Ju7st surprised no one had speculated the above as given the link + adkins refusing to say he liked him as a player etc...

334 posts