An Evening with Brian McDermott, hosted by ReadingFPA

154 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: An Evening with Brian McDermott, hosted by ReadingFPA

by maffff » 18 Sep 2014 13:01

Someone will have to report back. Is his touch tender?

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 18 Sep 2014 13:07

Upper West Ginger If they invited the manager of Leeds Rugby League team along as well, it would be an evening with two Brian McDermotts.
Get the actor Brian McDermott along too for a threesome, assuming he's still alive, hasn't got anything listed on IMDB since 2003 http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0567498/

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Sep 2014 13:10

I was always behind the decision to sack McDermott, he was a nice guy but the results spoke for themself, it took 11 games to even get our first win on the board, he saved himself with a strong January but afterwards until his sacking he only won once, including highly damaging defeats at home to relegation rivals Villa and Wigan, while dishing up some very dull football.

He was perhaps a victim of his own success but there was definitely signs that he couldn't take the club to the next level and I would definitely believe that Adkins could very well deliver that.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 18 Sep 2014 13:14

tidus_mi2 He was perhaps a victim of his own success
+1
If we had failed to win the league and slipped up in the playoffs he would have lasted longer than he did winning the title and being out of his depth in the Premier League and during that time he would have grown and improved as a manager.... However, financially I imagine it was better for him to have won the league and it will probably serve him well being a Championship winner rather than a runner up.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 18 Sep 2014 13:16

Just the 1 Championship trophy, 2 successive FA Cup quarter-final appearances beating the likes of Liverpool and Everton. Not a bad CV. And all to a good cause.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Sep 2014 15:30

tidus_mi2 I was always behind the decision to sack McDermott, he was a nice guy but the results spoke for themself, it took 11 games to even get our first win on the board, he saved himself with a strong January but afterwards until his sacking he only won once, including highly damaging defeats at home to relegation rivals Villa and Wigan, while dishing up some very dull football.

He was perhaps a victim of his own success but there was definitely signs that he couldn't take the club to the next level and I would definitely believe that Adkins could very well deliver that.

Adkins is going to have to take us up two levels

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 18 Sep 2014 15:48

McDermott's record for us was a one play off final and champions in our current division, Adkins hasn't got us near that yet but there is every indication that he may get a lot closer this season. In the only head to head NA came runner up when we won the championship. Clearly Southampton's owners were more ruthless than Anton and fired NA as they perceived he had taken them as far as he could. I suspect that in Anton's fantasy finance world sacking the manager early might have raised some interesting questions about squad depth and player purchases rather earlier than eventually happened.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 18 Sep 2014 16:01

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 18 Sep 2014 17:14

Thou Voice
Reading4eva I would love to go to this. Still to this day think McD was unlucky to lose his job. I would wonder how many would turn up for an Evening with Anton?

By the beard of the emperor...

:shock:

" WE MOVE ON "

Nigel has been the best thing to happen too our club!!! WHY CANNOT YOU ALL SEE THISSSS ?

If you do go, please thank him for giving us a future and stepping aside to make room for Nigel.

Why oh why do we need to have a cabaret act to worship past failures in terms of league standings etc ?

I am sure he is a very nice man, but " WE MOVE ON "...and if he really has got anything to say, write a book.

Do you see? :shock:

Isn't every Manager a failure in some respect? You could count on one hand how many managers that have never had their P45.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 18 Sep 2014 17:38

RG30 Just the 1 Championship trophy, 2 successive FA Cup quarter-final appearances beating the likes of Liverpool and Everton. Not a bad CV. And all to a good cause.

One club wonder?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Sep 2014 13:29

Interesting that no-one has ever really thought to start a debate about the relative merits of BMc and Adkins until now :?:

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 22 Sep 2014 15:51

Thou Voice
Reading4eva I would love to go to this. Still to this day think McD was unlucky to lose his job. I would wonder how many would turn up for an Evening with Anton?

By the beard of the emperor...

:shock:

" WE MOVE ON "

Nigel has been the best thing to happen too our club!!! WHY CANNOT YOU ALL SEE THISSSS ?

If you do go, please thank him for giving us a future and stepping aside to make room for Nigel.

Why oh why do we need to have a cabaret act to worship past failures in terms of league standings etc ?

I am sure he is a very nice man, but " WE MOVE ON "...and if he really has got anything to say, write a book.

Do you see? :shock:

Christ. Its only a fish supper at the British legion - get a grip on yourself.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 23 Sep 2014 09:15

I'm unavoidably engaged that evening, or else I would have definitely gone along to listen to someone who was at the heart of our club during some of its greatest moments, and who could well give some hugely interesting insights into the whole dynamic that was Reading FC over the last few, turbulent Years.

Regardless of his record when we were in the Premier League, for individuals to slag off McDermott (one of the most genuine blokes I have ever met in football) is a total disgrace and those people need a serious look at themselves.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 23 Sep 2014 13:47

I'm 100% behind Adkins and think he is also a good manager. He has kept calm under financial pressure (as Brian did before him) and I am glad he has been given time - but there is no evidence to suggest sacking McDermott helped anything. It was Anton panicking as he needed the PL income to make his dream work.

McDermott won 45% of matches whereas Adkins has won only 39%, so its factual that results have got worse, even before you compare relative squad strengths, the FA cup quarterfinals and the fact McDermott inherited the (about!)43rd best side in the country, Adkins the 19th...

TheWhisper

by TheWhisper » 23 Sep 2014 17:18

In

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Sep 2014 20:03

Z175 I'm 100% behind Adkins and think he is also a good manager. He has kept calm under financial pressure (as Brian did before him) and I am glad he has been given time - but there is no evidence to suggest sacking McDermott helped anything. It was Anton panicking as he needed the PL income to make his dream work.

McDermott won 45% of matches whereas Adkins has won only 39%, so its factual that results have got worse, even before you compare relative squad strengths, the FA cup quarterfinals and the fact McDermott inherited the (about!)43rd best side in the country, Adkins the 19th...

Hmm, I'm not sure it's fair to compare win rates at this stage given the comparative length of service and club disruption that's gone on during their respective tenures. Or to suggest that just because McDermott had two and a half excellent seasons, increasing his win rate, that means things have gotten worse under Adkins when McDermott's record not just in win rate, but in overall performance was terrible in his last season.

But I'd also be very interested in this if I lived in the area and am still genuinely very fond of Bri.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Sep 2014 10:03

Mr Angry I'm unavoidably engaged that evening, or else I would have definitely gone along to listen to someone who was at the heart of our club during some of its greatest moments, and who could well give some hugely interesting insights into the whole dynamic that was Reading FC over the last few, turbulent Years.

Regardless of his record when we were in the Premier League, for individuals to slag off McDermott (one of the most genuine blokes I have ever met in football) is a total disgrace and those people need a serious look at themselves.

Finally a post from Mr Angry that I 100% agree with.

:wink:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 Sep 2014 11:18

How can you get tickets if you don't have paypal? :| :cry:

FAO of Brother in Law - it's Thursday 16 October...

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 30 Sep 2014 10:16

Royal Lady How can you get tickets if you don't have paypal? :| :cry:

FAO of Brother in Law - it's Thursday 16 October...

http://www.readingfcformerplayers.co.uk/events

An Evening with Brian McDermott

Thursday, 16 October 2014 at Tilehurst British Legion Club, Downing Road, RG31 5BB.
Doors open at 6.30pm.
Tickets are priced at £20 each and include fish and chip supper and entry into a prize draw.

To book for this event, please use the "Buy Now" button below to pay using PayPal, our secure payment provider. You can book for multiple people by updating the quantity before completing your transaction. Please note that unique e-tickets are issued per person and are e-mailed to the lead booker's e-mail address. No paper tickets will be issued. Tickets will be sent from events@readingfcformerplayers.co.uk if you wish to add this to your safe senders list. If you would prefer not to pay on-line please contact us:

2 Russet Close
Sonning Common
Reading
RG4 9LQ

Phone: 0118 9724473
Email: richard@readingfcformerplayers.co.uk

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 30 Sep 2014 12:47

I wonder what the prize is in the prize draw. It's pretty exciting to be honest.

154 posts