How far we've slipped

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: How far we've slipped

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Apr 2015 10:11

The club as a whole is in a much better position now than it was 12 months ago, the team obviously not. I like what Clarke is saying, he knows the issues, he knows it's a question of seeing out the season and I think he realises exactly the size of the task ahead of him but I think stability behind the scenes is the first step. The second step is for the team to regain it's soul and re-establish it's core values, the "Reading Way". On face value both the management and the owners understand this. We are very, very lucky that the TSI fiasco hasn't dragged us down further.

This season is a reality check, nothing should be taken for granted and there are bigger clubs than us who have been lower more recently. Football is cyclical and it does us good to have an iffy season from time to time. If this is as low as it gets, then we're in pretty good shape but the key is doing everything possible to making sure this is a blip and not the start of a trend.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 10 Apr 2015 12:24

From Despair To Where? The club as a whole is in a much better position now than it was 12 months ago, the team obviously not. I like what Clarke is saying, he knows the issues, he knows it's a question of seeing out the season and I think he realises exactly the size of the task ahead of him but I think stability behind the scenes is the first step. The second step is for the team to regain it's soul and re-establish it's core values, the "Reading Way". On face value both the management and the owners understand this. We are very, very lucky that the TSI fiasco hasn't dragged us down further.

This season is a reality check, nothing should be taken for granted and there are bigger clubs than us who have been lower more recently. Football is cyclical and it does us good to have an iffy season from time to time. If this is as low as it gets, then we're in pretty good shape but the key is doing everything possible to making sure this is a blip and not the start of a trend.

Well said.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 10 Apr 2015 20:29

We are losing money, still.

Next year will see a cheaper, and most probably weaker team.

Unless it clicks, and a lot of the U21s step up, it's hard to see us not being in a real scrap to stay up.

gdroyal

by gdroyal » 10 Apr 2015 21:48

tmesis We are losing money, still.

Unless it clicks, and a lot of the U21s step up, it's hard to see us not being in a real scrap to stay up.

I have to agree. I do sometimes laugh at the people who think we should be targeting play-offs. With a completely new squad built on the cheap, it is difficult to see anything but a season of rebuilding and mid-table obscurity at best.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Apr 2015 22:12

gdroyal

I have to agree. I do sometimes laugh at the people who think we should be targeting play-offs. With a completely new squad built on the cheap, it is difficult to see anything but a season of rebuilding and mid-table obscurity at best.

The important thing is not getting bogged down in short term deals and the side getting better through the season so we can end on a positive note. Another year of not really making any progress is likely to see us slip through the trap door.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Apr 2015 10:51

Can someone explain to me this - have the owners not said they're going to invest in us heavily?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Apr 2015 11:19

It's been repeated by various people but I'm not sure there is anything definitive to back it up.
There are some important things to consider
1. We will get less in parachute payments next season
2. We are likely to make less in ticket sales
3. We need to meet FFP requirements, although these have changed and I believe are much less onerous next season
4. We still have players on excessive wages
5. We have quite a lot of players out of contract and most don't appear to have been offered new deals
6. The cup will have brought in quite a decent amount of unbudgeted income (£1.5 million even if we lose next week)

There have been signs from the club that we won't be forced to clear the decks and rely on kids next season. I don't believe Clark would have come in without having discussed plans and the new owners have funded a reasonable amount of transfer activity, and not flogged off any significant assets (small question over the Morrison sale but I don't think that was forced by them). Nigel Howe also made it clear that the owners want a top of the table team, pinch of salt perhaps needed as they are hardly going to say anything else. But from what I know of them it does actually matter to them that we do well.
Big test of the owners coming up. I don't subscribe to the idea that there will be no money, or that Clark will need to sell to spend, although I don't think we'll have unlimited funds. Clark says he knows what is needed, can he shift the players he doesn't want ? Can he bring in the guys he does want ? Question applies to any manager to be honest. You don't need to spend millions to put together a good, competitive side as we have proved in the past.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 11 Apr 2015 11:22

The past three seasons have been dire and I've really not enjoyed going to a lot of games, it's not about winning or losing it's more about the total lack of a team and style of play. The football is just not entertaining or effective.

I'll like to see the remaining players on fat contracts shipped out, in particular Pearce and Feds should not get their contracts renewed and HRK should be "Drenthed" to the youth team. Then rebuild.

I still hold out hope Pog will one day turn into a effective striker when his contract looks like running out.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 11 Apr 2015 11:45

PieEater I'll like to see the remaining players on fat contracts shipped out, in particular Pearce and Feds should not get their contracts renewed and HRK should be "Drenthed" to the youth team. Then rebuild.

Pearce isn't one of the high earners. Because he thought he could move a couple of seasons ago, when he found he couldn't move the club made his new contract the same money as his old one. I understand that's around 16k a week (and HRK ended up in the same position)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Apr 2015 12:28

Jagermesiter1871
Can someone explain to me this - have the owners not said they're going to invest in us heavily?

Commitment to new training facilities. That's a positive sign of long term investment. Home grown players has to be the basis of stability.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 11 Apr 2015 12:51

3points
PieEater I'll like to see the remaining players on fat contracts shipped out, in particular Pearce and Feds should not get their contracts renewed and HRK should be "Drenthed" to the youth team. Then rebuild.

Pearce isn't one of the high earners. Because he thought he could move a couple of seasons ago, when he found he couldn't move the club made his new contract the same money as his old one. I understand that's around 16k a week (and HRK ended up in the same position)

HRK was allegedly the 3rd highest earner behind Pog and Drenthe. (and so ahead of Guthrie and Williams)