1%
Other
13%

Total votes: 152
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New captain 2015/16

by John Smith » 24 Jun 2015 11:12

If you were Garath McCleary would you be told what to do by Aaron Kuhl?

I'll let that one sink in and give you some time to think.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Jun 2015 11:13

Nameless Kuhl is not a daft suggestion, although it may not be the right one.
He captained our u21 side when he was 18 and did a top job. Of course doing the job for the first team is hugely different and the number 1 requirement is to have the support and respect of your team mates and whether he has that from Pog, McLeary etc I have no idea.
But at some point soon he'll be captain and as I would be not be averse to our first team being mostly Academy players then he's a cert to lead the team.
As for next season, Williams is a good call and the stuff about arguing with team mates is nonsense, Pearce was often having a go at colleagues and the most public falling out Willaims had ended in smiles and handshakes ....

I agree it's not daft, if maybe a bit misguided, Pearce was given the captaincy at a young age and his form tanked as a result but last season he had shown himself to be a good captain, he was just given the responsibility too early in his career by Rodgers. I believe it would be a similar situation with Kuhl, he will be a great captain for the club but he's not there yet, he's not even a first team regular right now.

I voted for Williams because the list isn't exactly that great for potential captains, that being said I don't think I could have predicted Jobi being captain and he was great at it, there might be a player right now who is great with the other players and will be next captain and we might not even realise it because we don't see all the behind the scenes stuff with the players.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Jun 2015 11:15

I think GMac could be a decent shout.

Williams has the fire in his belly, could go either way. He's more stable than Mills, though.

Kuhl, maybe in a few seasons.

Gunter, no thanks. It didn't work last time.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Jun 2015 11:18

John Smith If you were Garath McCleary would you be told what to do by Aaron Kuhl?

Not sure of the point of the question.

You think the captain should be the oldest player ? Not very logical thinking.

Or did you not understand the bit about captains needing the respect and support of players ?

Kuhl is a very good captain, that doesn't mean his job is to 'tell people what to do' and it's not especially his style of doing the job anyway.

I suspect that McLeary is the sort of fairly sensible guy who would back up the captain rather than get upset because the guy was doing the job well it happened to be on the young side. Kuhl wouldn't get the job unless the senior players backed him, if he got the job he would do it well, I don't think now is the right time to give it to him. That doesn't make him a daft suggestion or the original post 'wrong'

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jun 2015 11:33

Nameless
John Smith If you were Garath McCleary would you be told what to do by Aaron Kuhl?

Not sure of the point of the question.

You think the captain should be the oldest player ? Not very logical thinking.

Or did you not understand the bit about captains needing the respect and support of players ?

Kuhl is a very good captain, that doesn't mean his job is to 'tell people what to do' and it's not especially his style of doing the job anyway.

I suspect that McLeary is the sort of fairly sensible guy who would back up the captain rather than get upset because the guy was doing the job well it happened to be on the young side. Kuhl wouldn't get the job unless the senior players backed him, if he got the job he would do it well, I don't think now is the right time to give it to him. That doesn't make him a daft suggestion or the original post 'wrong'

I voted for Williams as the captain, so no I don't think it should be based on age but I certainly think ability should come into otherwise how can he gain respect from his peers. The same goes for the fact Aaron Kuhl has made 6 senior appearances, regardless of his duties for the U21s he isn't a choice for next season, in the future for sure.

With regards to the last paragraph I don't anyone on here has anything near a clue as to what goes on behind the scenes or who has the [dis]respect of others, therefore this really is only hypothetical.

Williams is the sensible choice from what we have, although I can't see him doing many school/hospital visits - he's always out of the country based on his social media.

It'll probably be given to Chris Gunter.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Jun 2015 12:53

If you were Aaron Kuhl would you want to focus on your personal development, earn the respect of your team mates and become an established first team player or lost some of that focus by being captain?

Also, I can't imagine too many players wanting to tell Pog what to do.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Jun 2015 13:19

If I was Garath McCleary I'd be trying to remember how to cross because he seems to have forgotten.

If Kuhl was appointed captain by the manager, he won't be at this time, then I would hope that Garath McCleary and everyone else would be professional enough to accept that decision from the manager and get on with their job and doing their best for RFC.

If not then perhaps they aren't the kind of player we want at the club.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 24 Jun 2015 13:54

I'm very surprised by so many choosing Williams. He always seems to be trying to talk himself into getting sent off. Surely we need to keep him away from the ref, not in his face more?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jun 2015 13:57

John Smith My point about Williams is that he'd inject some get-up-and-go with his attitude and that it might persuade him to stay as I can see him wanting to be out of here soon looking around at his substandard peers.

"I'm not getting very much money to play football with loads of players who aren't as good as me, but it's OK, I have a bit of fabric wrapped around my arm".

I don't see it.
SCIAG, can I just ask you who you think the best 3 players are at the club?

Can I have an easier question?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jun 2015 14:02

SCIAG
John Smith My point about Williams is that he'd inject some get-up-and-go with his attitude and that it might persuade him to stay as I can see him wanting to be out of here soon looking around at his substandard peers.

"I'm not getting very much money to play football with loads of players who aren't as good as me, but it's OK, I have a bit of fabric wrapped around my arm".

I don't see it.

[He is on a lot of money] "I'm clearly valued by my wage and status at the club so I won't go running off to the Premier League where I belong"

SCIAG Can I have an easier question?

Sure: is your head in the sand?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jun 2015 14:36

melonhead there was a clueless, plain and utterly wrong post on this site. It be this

What are you a fcuking pirate?

Pir8.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jun 2015 15:09

John Smith
SCIAG Can I have an easier question?

Sure: is your head in the sand?

I was wondering what that sandy taste was.

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 24 Jun 2015 15:44

Pog or Gunter

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 24 Jun 2015 16:27

POG!

Purely for the reason that when any 5hit kicks off he's first on the scene all up in the opponents grill!

Lets face it, not many players would fancy their chances and he would command respect from the squad.

Having said that I know this would never happen

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 24 Jun 2015 19:30

moonwalklikebas POG!

Purely for the reason that when any 5hit kicks off he's first on the scene all up in the opponents grill!

Lets face it, not many players would fancy their chances and he would command respect from the squad.

Having said that I know this would never happen

For a minute I thought you were being serious!

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 24 Jun 2015 20:19

50 posts and counting reminding us we really don't have an obvious candidate for captain. If Clarke values this role, surely he must be expecting one of his summer buys to take it on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jun 2015 20:45

Well, if Kuhl was captain, then yes, Garath McCleary would be told what to do. If you mean, would he like it or do it, then if he has any professionalism the answer should still be yes to the second part at least.

TheBaldOne

by TheBaldOne » 24 Jun 2015 21:14

I'd go for Pog out of that list. But I think Clarke will bring his own captain, probably McShane..

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 27 Jun 2015 20:39

sandman

If I was Garath McCleary I'd be trying to remember how to cross because he seems to have forgotten.

If Kuhl was appointed captain by the manager, he won't be at this time, then I would hope that Garath McCleary and everyone else would be professional enough to accept that decision from the manager and get on with their job and doing their best for RFC.

If not then perhaps they aren't the kind of player we want at the club.

Haha what a prat, I knew you would turn it around to have a pop at mccleary, maybe his crossing will improve when we get a striker who gets on the end of them and puts them away hence the 15 + assists the season before last.

As for being told by Aaron Kuhl, like a previous poster said he is a sensible guy who wouldn't let something silly like that be an issue. Why would you hope for something like that.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Jun 2015 22:13

Has to be a defender for me, someone who can lead from the back. Hector fits that bill easily.