BFTG - Bristol City

134 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Bristol City

by paultheroyal » 02 Jan 2016 20:22

Proper wing play, Blackman through the middle and we were a different team. McDermott take note.

Cooper excellent.
Vydra excellent. Real class. Brilliant work rate. Needs that goal. Not sure if he is one step ahead of our players, or midfield to slow in picking him out.
Gunter great running but short passes were woeful.
Corners, just horrendous. Would rather us go short and then play it in as time and time again we fail to clear the first defender.
Remove Norwood from that team and we would struggle. Makes us tick and puts a tackle in.

Their fans, just :lol:

Hopefully the 2016 push is on!

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 02 Jan 2016 20:23

A pretty boring game until the introduction of G Mac and HRK.
Bristol came to defend, waste time and lump it up to their number 22. This stifled our midfield as the ball spent a lot of time going over the top of them.
Williams showed a lot of grit and energy and although playing a no nonsense game, Cooper put in a good shift.
Al Habsi didn't have a save to make, although his kicking is still suspect.
Vydra worked hard and is a whisker away from being a really useful asset.
Norwood pretty good
Mc Shane - injured :cry:
Sa WTF! (Pog mk 2)

Great goal and finish to the game. You cannot beat a last minute winner :P

As far as I can see it. McDermott is still sussing out his best starting eleven.
I think we will be safe from relegation, but will struggle to break into the play offs. A season of consolidation beckons.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 02 Jan 2016 20:24

It was a wet, greasy and (probably) heavy pitch so some allowance has to be made for that. For the passes that went astray; for the mis-kicks; for the mis-timed challenges and for the inability to turn as quickly as normal. But it was 3 points and a clean sheet against a limited Bristol City side whose vocal fans deserved better (except the idiots who kept the ball for ages and any who were instrumental in getting the police vans employed at the end of the match)

In truth we should have won by 3 or 4 goals. Vydra could (and maybe should) have had a hat-trick before half time. Yes, he worked hard but he is here as a finisher and today he was woeful in that role! Gunter had a decent second half but a very poor first half. I think all the players made mistakes (many due to the greasy surface) but my MOTM goes to young Cooper who played with composure and also a lot of strength for a tall thin guy!

It was worrying to see McShane limp off. He was not at his best today but he is our captain and leads by example so I hope the injury is not serious. It was good to see Ferdinand back to replace him and he played well although his lack of pace (partly due, no doubt, to lack of match fitness) led to the professional foul that earned him his yellow card. Good to see Quinn back in midfield and he also played well with a glorious pass putting in Vydra for the first chance he missed when 1-on-1 with their keeper.

Taylor was solid and Norwood mixed the good with the bad and the ugly (a yellow)! Sa had some nice touches but struggled to get into the game and avoided any physical challenges. Williams is the engine of this side and was running as fast in the time added on as he was at the start of the game. I can't understand those who would drop him as he provides the energy and urgency so lacking in others and made the assist for the winning goal. Blackman did OK until that last minute when he selfishly put the ball in the back of their net! By that time he was working centrally up front as McCleary had been brought on, to great effect, in the right wing position. His understanding with Gunter worked well and he was a constant threat.

HRK came on late to replace Taylor which was a positive move from Brian but I didn't see much from him. That only leaves Al Habsi who had little to do (as they had no shots on target) but commanded his area and kicked well!

We need Vydra to find his confidence and scoring touch because we cannot miss so many goal-scoring chances and expect to win games against the better sides. All in all this was a frustrating game but one which, ultimately, produced 3 points!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 02 Jan 2016 20:28

Best bit was Blackman and Cotterill having a ding dong at each other

Cotterill lobbed chewing gum at Blackman in the first half, Blackman squirts a water bottle over Cotterill in return. Cotterill gave Blackman loads of abuse throughout the rest of the half so Blackman legs it over after scoring and calls him out :lol: :lol:

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 02 Jan 2016 20:40

Not surprised their lot started playing up and the end, if I had to watch that much time wasting week in, week out and still lose, I'd be pretty annoyed about it.

Games are at least getting more entertaining. I really hope Brian decides to keep the high paced, short passing game, rather than going long and direct. It looks so much tidier than we've been in a long time.

Pleased for Blackman. Made a few silly minor mistakes but nothing costly. Really enjoy seeing him take on defenders, he's so cool under pressure.

Williams was on it today, cracking performance. Same goes for Quinn. Norwood was less noticeable, but that probably means he too was putting in a shift off the ball.

Fingers crossed Vydra gets a goal soon. He's creating so many chances, it looks destined to happen.
Last edited by ILoveMoonPig on 02 Jan 2016 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2016 20:42

Royal Ginger
Dr_Hfuhruhurr I thought their man up front up was pretty decent.

If he'd spent any time on-side he could have been a threat.

I thought Kodija was an absolute class above the rest of their squad - the offsides and selfishness aside (if he'd looked up at one point he could've played one of their other players clean through). A good find for them.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 02 Jan 2016 20:57

RG7Fan
RG7Fan

Corners - ughhh ...

We must be the worst team in the league at set pieces. It's hard to get excited when we win a free kick on the edge of the box and that's not right.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Jan 2016 21:02

I'm amazed with the positive remarks, which I'm sure would not have appeared quite in the same manner had we not got that injury time goal.

I thought we were poor and it was an atrocious game of football between two terrible sides. We struggled immensely against one of the worst teams in the division and we looked a million miles away from a credible playoff contender.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jan 2016 21:25

Chelsea/Royal It was woeful and we committed the cardinal sin of leaving before the end and missed,the bloody goal.

I hope you and the other 1000 or whatever learned your lesson.

I left early a few years ago when a last minute goal that was HUGE went in. I've never left early since, no point.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Jan 2016 21:27

bobby1413
Chelsea/Royal It was woeful and we committed the cardinal sin of leaving before the end and missed,the bloody goal.

I hope you and the other 1000 or whatever learned your lesson.

I left early a few years ago when a last minute goal that was HUGE went in. I've never left early since, no point.

Only game I've ever left early was Villa in the cup, I still saw Carew score the pen in the concourse though :(

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 02 Jan 2016 21:28

Pepe the Horseman Made such a difference having Quinn back in midfield. Up and down the whole game. Totes <3 him.

This. Very much this.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 02 Jan 2016 21:36

Snowball136 I thought we showed a lot of promise today and fully deserved to win.

El Habsi may make occasional blunders but he looks a far better keeper and actually commands his box

Gunter, IMO played well. He made some important interceptions and going forward got into great positions but at least three times Blackman gave a hospital pass. Solid 7

Cooper. Did VERY well, won more headers than anyone else ever does, made plenty of tackles/interceptions and plenty of excellent passes out. I seriously believe that if he was a regular for twenty games he'd soon be our number 1 CB. Impressed.

McShane (I'll bring my boots next home game just in case). Honestly can't remember much good or bad but he isn't as dominant as the early games

Taylor OK

Norwood mostly excellent but a couple of horrendous mistakes. I think various players making mistakes is coming because our shape goes ragged far too often.

Williams, I was bitching about him first half. He wastes a lot of ball. Remember that a kid with ADHD and a bull in a china shop shop energy. His energy is fantastic and second half it worked. If he had discipline and application he'd be playing at a higher level, As long as he brings this much energy play him, but frankly I ;d rathe have Tish. Second half there was a moment that was almost an exact copy of his goal v Bolton (where really he should have put Blackman clear. This time he shot (again) when the pass to Blackman was a better option and p!ssed 22 off. I think someone should have words. Just those two incidents (today and Bolton) and Blackman could very easily have two more goals. IMO Williams is a "messy" player and contributes less than it appears at first glance

Quinn, excellent again (great little player). good as a midfielder or LW or LB. Quality pro

Blackman (wing) Did OK except too many passes to Gunter that should have cut out the FB instead of allowing him to block. But he was overall OK and in the action a fair bit.

Blackman (striker)... a bit of old fashioned channel running or balls over the top a la Shane Long but a well-taken goal. I do NOT think the should start up front. He should play wide for 60 minutes with Sa-Vydra the front two (wearing down defenders)... Then and only if we are struggling, maybe pull of Sa, put Blackman up front (as today) and play McCleary wide.

Vydra is total quality but just drawing a blank ATM. His first chance was "made" by a brilliant run and him demanding the ball (from Quinn?) just a shame he knocked it wide. The narrow angle flash shot, well they get missed more often than scored. The third move (nice move) he sent it the leg side of the keeper but was unlucky to hit the keep's legs. We should persist with this guy.

Sa, not sure. I think he is by FAR our best hold-up player but he plays like he's not happy at Reading. I honestly think Sa-Vydra is the best front two by a mile.

McLeary was excellent when he came on, so was HRK. No complaints about Ferdinand (solid) but it's pretty clear his body is packing up so we need two CBs ASAP

We are a very good squad of players out of luck and out of confidence. Against Brentford we were done by two VG goals, we deserved something at Wo;res and at Hull, and threw away a 0-0 v QPR. I've lost count of the games we lost or drew this year because of silly goals or a poor defence in a dead ball situation. How many games are there where with 1% more luck we could have got extra points?

Birmingham away, Wednesday away, Hull away, Wolves Away. Derby H, QPR H, Brentford H at least. There are probably more, IMO if we finish say 8th this year, we could win this league with the same players.

We've had very few wins in our last 13 or so games but we have never been hammered. There's just something not clicking, and it may be too n==many loanees or too many foreigners, or a mouthy bad apple, I don't know.... but I fully expect us to come good and for McDermott to be winning more than 1.5 points per game (his current achievement)

Spot on but a bit harsh on Williams considering he assisted the goal today but I can sort of see what you mean.
Last edited by WestRoyal on 02 Jan 2016 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2016 21:43

Anyway, my comments.

I thought we were pretty bad today and that it was a nailed-on 0-0 draw, but it was superb to grab that goal, I love last minute winners, one of my favourite things in football. A much needed 3 points and the fact it came in the 90th minute might give our confidence more of a boost than a routine win.

I feel most of all we lacked urgency and energy going forward, especially from Blackman and Sa, that may well be a confidence thing. This improved a LOT when G-Mac came on, but I still could've seen a bit more impetus from other players off the ball when he was putting pressure on their left-back. Vydra should've put away some gilt-edged chances and for the fee we paid for him he should be banging those in. I like other aspects of his game though, did well for the goal, although he was winning a ball back that I think he lost in the first place.

Al-Habsi 5 - Not a save to make so hard to rate him. 5 seems harsh, but dunno if I can mark him up for anything!
Gunter 6 - Some good moments, some bad.
Cooper 7.5 - Very good
McShane 5 - Can't remember much of him before he went off.
Taylor 5 - A dodgy mistake that nearly let a player through, otherwise OK
Norwood 6 - His passing was hot and cold, didn't look as good as previous
Williams 7 - I love his energy and work rate, needs better vision, but put the amount of effort in I want to see from the rest of the team.
Quinn 7 - Good, couple of great tackles, moved to LB comfortably
Vydra 6 - As above, should be putting those chances away easily. Just needs a goal.
Blackman 6.5 - Again as above, just looks uninterested and lacking energy at times. Good winner.
Sa 5 - Good hold up play, not much else though.

Subs
Ferdinand 7 - Looked very assured coming back, harshly booked for a 50/50.
McCleary 7 - Changed the game, crossing perhaps could've been better
HRK 6.5 - Brought some energy to the team but not much quality, was a good tactical switch by B-Mac
Last edited by genome on 02 Jan 2016 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Jan 2016 21:45

CountryRoyal I'm amazed with the positive remarks, which I'm sure would not have appeared quite in the same manner had we not got that injury time goal.

Considering that McD has had no time to work with the players on the training ground. That 5 changes were made today. With some players short of full match fitness. I look at the positives that we can take forward.

There's an emergence of a team spirit again. Williams chase back and (saving?) tackle towards the end . Summed up what McD has already instilled in a short period of time.

Liked the minimal use of loan players today as well in the matchday squad. Along with the fact that everybody is getting a chance to prove their worth. .

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jan 2016 21:49

CountryRoyal I'm amazed with the positive remarks, which I'm sure would not have appeared quite in the same manner had we not got that injury time goal.

I thought we were poor and it was an atrocious game of football between two terrible sides. We struggled immensely against one of the worst teams in the division and we looked a million miles away from a credible playoff contender.

Thank You... from the bottom of my dark, blackened heart. I agree.

The first 45 minutes were abysmal, totally void of any excitement or attraction. It was also the worst atmosphere I've encountered for ages... especially considering there was a (nearly) full away end.

I was not convinced by this victory. I'm really happy to win, we DID win 3 points, but less than convinced compared to others.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 02 Jan 2016 22:08

genome Anyway, my comments.

I thought we were pretty bad today and that it was a nailed-on 0-0 draw, but it was superb to grab that goal, I love last minute winners, one of my favourite things in football. A much needed 3 points and the fact it came in the 90th minute might give our confidence more of a boost than a routine win.

I feel most of all we lacked urgency and energy going forward, especially from Blackman and Sa, that may well be a confidence thing. This improved a LOT when G-Mac came on, but I still could've seen a bit more impetus from other players off the ball when he was putting pressure on their left-back. Vydra should've put away some gilt-edged chances and for the fee we paid for him he should be banging those in. I like other aspects of his game though, did well for the goal, although he was winning a ball back that I think he lost in the first place.

Al-Habsi 5 - Not a save to make so hard to rate him. 5 seems harsh, but dunno if I can mark him up for anything!
Gunter 6 - Some good moments, some bad.
Cooper 7.5 - Very good
McShane 5 - Can't remember much of him before he went off.
Taylor 5 - A dodgy mistake that nearly let a player through, otherwise OK
Norwood 6 - His passing was hot and cold, didn't look as good as previous
Williams 7 - I love his energy and work rate, needs better vision, but put the amount of effort in I want to see from the rest of the team.
Quinn 7 - Good, couple of great tackles, moved to LB comfortably
Vydra 6 - As above, should be putting those chances away easily. Just needs a goal.
Blackman 6.5 - Again as above, just looks uninterested and lacking energy at times. Good winner.
Sa 5 - Good hold up play, not much else though.

Subs
Ferdinand 7 - Looked very assured coming back, harshly booked for a 50/50.
McCleary 7 - Changed the game, crossing perhaps could've been better
HRK 6.5 - Brought some energy to the team but not much quality, was a good tactical switch by B-Mac

Seems to be always a gripe about his crossing but considering he gets so many in it was decent today. Sometimes a ball can only be put into a danger area where you expect a cross to be attacked so the anticipation & the movement of the forwards could also be questioned not just the delivery

JIM

by JIM » 02 Jan 2016 22:16

As the saying goes .Clean sheet, unbeaten this year, perfect result.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2016 22:17

I wouldn't say we played well, especially in the first half, but we created a decent number of chances, which is a certainly a positive, and even though City were pretty poor it's got to be a good thing that we could've won the game comfortably. That's an improvement over the last couple of months.

Lower West Liked the minimal use of loan players today as well in the matchday squad. Along with the fact that everybody is getting a chance to prove their worth. .

Weren't all the loan players available involved?

We had Vydra and Taylor in the starting 11 with Piazon and Fernandez on the bench. The only loanees not involved were Hector and John, both of whom were unavailable. I wouldn't see that as any great change in approach (if that's what you were implying).

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jan 2016 22:17

Just watched the goal back. I know he lost it in the first place, but what a tackle from Vydra. Great ball from McCleary and great finish.

Dave Gale

by Dave Gale » 02 Jan 2016 22:24

Hoop Blah Weren't all the loan players available involved?

We had Vydra and Taylor in the starting 11 with Piazon and Fernandez on the bench. The only loanees not involved were Hector and John, both of whom were unavailable. I wouldn't see that as any great change in approach (if that's what you were implying).

Fernandez wasn't included in the squad nor hurtardo. Both were fit - McDermott said he doesn't know them and has had a chat they need to fight to get involved.

134 posts