Reality Check?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Reality Check?

by genome » 11 Dec 2016 21:13

Pepe the Horseman
paultheroyal Calling Muskrat to the thread calling Muskrat to the thread.

He was still right because one of our goals was a deflection and Sheff Wed had lots of shots and a couple of players missing.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 12 Dec 2016 09:12

leon
Pepe the Horseman
paultheroyal Calling Muskrat to the thread calling Muskrat to the thread.

He was still right because one of our goals was a deflection and Sheff Wed had lots of shots and a couple of players missing.

Are you Nick Ames in today's Observer? That was basically his article.

Thanks for pointing it out but you seem to have inadvertently forgotten to post a link to the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/10/reading-sheffield-wednesday-championship-match-report

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Dec 2016 09:43

Muskrat
leon
Pepe the Horseman He was still right because one of our goals was a deflection and Sheff Wed had lots of shots and a couple of players missing.

Thanks for pointing it out but you seem to have inadvertently forgotten to post a link to the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/10/reading-sheffield-wednesday-championship-match-report

:?:

I wasn't referring to you.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 12 Dec 2016 10:41

leon
Muskrat
leon

Whichever of the hobnobbers is Nick Ames ( :D), I feel it's a touch one-sided to harp on about Wednesday's missing players, without mentioning ours. John Swift is a massive loss for us - I just hope we can keep grinding out results while he is out. And Danny Williams - I'm not a massive fan of his, but without him AND Swift there's no creativity in midfield. Hope Kelly gets a bit more of a run, an off-the-pace JVdB and a cautious Evans is not an exciting combo!

Good to see Kermogant back though.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 12 Dec 2016 10:44

Muskrat
leon
Pepe the Horseman He was still right because one of our goals was a deflection and Sheff Wed had lots of shots and a couple of players missing.

^^^ a Reading side whose third place in the division appeared a trick of the light,

i.e. false third

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Dec 2016 10:47

BR0B0T
Muskrat
leon

^^^ a Reading side whose third place in the division appeared a trick of the light,

i.e. false third

ie bullshit

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 12 Dec 2016 13:43

leon
Muskrat
leon

Erm, I knooowww...

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Dec 2016 17:48

Still false third? Or is it going to be genuine at Christmas? Long may this reality check period continue

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Dec 2016 17:53

During the afternoon we were a much more realistic 4th for 30 minutes. Then it all went bonkers again....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Dec 2016 17:55

Don't pay any attention to the table, it's lying. We're actually 15th.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Dec 2016 18:15

Having seen the chances Blackburn had I can only conclude that about twenty championship teams have bet on Reading.

We give away FAR too many chances to be a top six team. I think we need a top-quality DM more than a striker.

This reminds me of the season when I came away from countless games under McDermott (when we won the league!) trying to figure out how we won. That was different stlyistically but I don't think in terms of chances given the opposition we deserve to be third, probably not top six.

I feel confident that a few sides below us know that. Derby, Fulham, Villa if they put in a decent new year run, all should finish above us, and any of Huddersfield, Leeds, Wednesday could, too.

I so want to be wrong but despite our current position I expect to finish 7-10th

Of course we might get a brilliant DM and a top CB in January, then, who knows?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 17 Dec 2016 18:25

To be honest I think you can get away with being a bit shit in the Championship. Team's don't always punish you and you can afford to give away chances. In the Premier League it's a different ball game.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Dec 2016 18:29

Snowball We give away FAR too many chances to be a top six team.

:roll:

Last time I looked unconverted chances didn't affect our league position, which is why we are in fact a top six team, third no less!!!!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Dec 2016 18:35

How many are actual 'chances' though ?
Teams shooting from 20 yards because they can't create anything inside the box does not equal 'chances'.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 17 Dec 2016 19:01

The reality is, we played a style which frustrated our opponents in the last promotion season, different to what other clubs around us were doing that year.

This season, there is no doubt we are doing that to our opponents again.

I honestly feel we have a stronger all round squad than some of the teams you mention snowy (Huddersfield & Leeds won't go the mile).

At the end of the day you can only beat what's in front of you; and I like the 'only concentrate on the next game' philosophy.

#wng

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Dec 2016 19:05

Silver Fox
Snowball We give away FAR too many chances to be a top six team.

:roll:

Last time I looked unconverted chances didn't affect our league position, which is why we are in fact a top six team, third no less!!!!

My impression has been that the last few games have been a bit unusual in the number of chances we've given away. We're a little more open, but from the Blackburn highlights we also seemed to create more than we have at times.

Pre Reality check form: LWWWW - 2.4ppg, or 110 point record breaking season
Reality check form: WLWLW - 1.8 ppg, or 82 point probable automatic promotion

Better start expanding the trophy cabinet for when things pick up again after the reality check.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Dec 2016 19:35

We've played all but one of the other teams in the division now so anyone who still thinks we're in a false position is frankly talking out of their arse.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Dec 2016 19:49

Hardly a " false position" but we do remain (sometimes easily) beatable.

Obvious to everybody that we are not quite the finished item, but keep up the good work Jaap and lads

Third in May will be one hell of an achievement.

We are currently "back on the radar"

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Dec 2016 21:08

I was commenting more about people on the outside looking in, saying we are in a false position.

Brighton and Newcastle are where they are because they are the 2 standout teams, Brighton have given Hughton the time to build a squad and they are settled Newcastle have a certain manager and the resources to pack the team with star players.

We know we are not the fi shed article. We are in the same boat as just about every other team, we're all works in progress but we are where we are because we are better at more things than everyone else. We control games extremely well, suffocate them really, it's just when we don't control the game, we tend to capitulate because we don't know how to step up a gear, We've taken the lead in about 70% of our games and won 80% of those. How many teams below us come close to that?We stifle games and don't lose winning positions. It may not be exiting to watch but it's effective and we're a work in progress, this is a base to build from. I don't look at any of the teams below us and think "they deserve to be where we are more than us"

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Dec 2016 21:15

and you'll get no arguement from me on that.

Delighted to be where we are, despite being far from the dominant team that we once were.

Take the knocks and blows, but come back with that win or two.......stifle the negativity