MATCHWATCH : Leyton Orient (a)

235 posts
Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Leyton Orient (a)

by Greatwesternline » 06 Oct 2023 15:13

NathStPaul We can all read Wikipedia pal.

It's from The Athletic who did an article on it a few months back. Maybe they read wikipedia.

traff

by traff » 06 Oct 2023 18:45

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753 Would like to see 4-2-3-1 personally. Two deep lying DMs giving the defense extra support when needed and the three AMs giving width and attacking support to the lone striker.
Both Ballard and Kelvin E seem to have the pace and strength to play the lone forward role, plus i think an attacking midfield role would be perfect for Vickers.

So it this:

Button

Abrefa Abbey Dean NGW

Hutch Craig

Vickers Wing Knibbs

Kelvin E

Savage and Azeez need a break as they're just not contributing atm and can be used as impact subs. Not saying this will work but it gives us more width and a stronger presence in midfield with Craig and Hutch. Vickers, Wing and Knibbs should have enough about them to get the ball in the Kelvin up front.
This could also be used in a 4-3-3

Button

Abrefa Abbey Dean NGW

Craig Hutch Wing

Vickers Kelvin E Knibbs

Yep, more viable options.

I think it's worth saying as well, that formations are largely just short hand for how you want your players to play usually.

Unfortunately 4-2-2-2 is short hand for playing narrow to unnecessarily congest the centre of the pitch in the attacking third whilst bypassing your midfield and leaving your fullbacks high, out of position and exposed.

If I was to manage an 11 aside team I’d prob play 4-2-3-1. But it’s barely any different from 4-2-2-2 - the attacking mid ‘2’ still tend to give wide options just not as wide.

I also wouldn’t want to see Kelv as a ‘1’ up front as he’d likely be too isolated

There’s some good theory behind 4-2-2-2 and it has worked elsewhere. We just need to do it better. Like I’ve said main issue for me is this formation you really shouldn’t be getting cut through in defensive mid. You can make up for the failings if you dominate the areas you are meant to but we are not

Think we need to try 5 at the back. Give us some width and protect Button fingers

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2023 19:39

Hound
Snowflake Royal Yep, more viable options.

I think it's worth saying as well, that formations are largely just short hand for how you want your players to play usually.

Unfortunately 4-2-2-2 is short hand for playing narrow to unnecessarily congest the centre of the pitch in the attacking third whilst bypassing your midfield and leaving your fullbacks high, out of position and exposed.

If I was to manage an 11 aside team I’d prob play 4-2-3-1. But it’s barely any different from 4-2-2-2 - the attacking mid ‘2’ still tend to give wide options just not as wide.

I also wouldn’t want to see Kelv as a ‘1’ up front as he’d likely be too isolated

There’s some good theory behind 4-2-2-2 and it has worked elsewhere. We just need to do it better. Like I’ve said main issue for me is this formation you really shouldn’t be getting cut through in defensive mid. You can make up for the failings if you dominate the areas you are meant to but we are not

Theory, schmeary. Its shit. Maybe a top club in an uneven league makes it work. But that's just the same as the idiots who tried to play like Barcelona without being streets ahead of 90% of their opposition.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2023 20:12

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal Yep, more viable options.

Theory, schmeary. Its shit. Maybe a top club in an uneven league makes it work. But that's just the same as the idiots who tried to play like Barcelona without being streets ahead of 90% of their opposition.

Hassenhutl made it work at Soton. Was it Red Bill Salzburg or Leipzig - can’t remember - who used it very successfully. So definitely not too clubs

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 06 Oct 2023 20:15

Going for a day out and a few bevvies with a few mates.

I'm adamant I'm not going to let the expected insipid display spoil it this time I always say this and come home depressed :roll:

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 07 Oct 2023 13:40

Holmes, NGW and Camara all off the coach today according to Twitter reports

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2023 13:53

morganb Holmes, NGW and Camara all off the coach today according to Twitter reports

Came off the coach or weren’t on it in the first place?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2023 13:55

Hound
morganb Holmes, NGW and Camara all off the coach today according to Twitter reports

Came off the coach or weren’t on it in the first place?

In terms of matchday news, I'm not sure that could have been any more ambiguous. :lol:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Oct 2023 14:02

Maybe Selles is panicking and realised that he has f*cked up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Oct 2023 14:02

Hutch, Knibbs and Ballard all start, Obi-Wan appears on the bench!

Last edited by Sutekh on 07 Oct 2023 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Oct 2023 14:02

So looks like same formation, Binden still out of position, Carson still starting. The game is already lost.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2023 14:03

What a fukwit. Learning nothing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2023 14:06

Snowflake Royal What a fukwit. Learning nothing.

He’s learnt that we’re a better side with Knibbs in and Wing and Hutch are the best bet at CM

He’s also learnt that it’s worth
involving NGW and Holmes again

If ‘learnt’ means agreeing with everything you say then no he hasn’t learnt anything :)

I actually don’t think Binden has been bad at RB tbh. Would have changed it myself but don’t see it as a big issue

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Oct 2023 14:09

So is Mola missing because he's suspended or has Selles worked out that he's cr@p at last?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Oct 2023 14:10

Hound

He’s learnt that we’re a better side with Knibbs in and Wing and Hutch are the best bet at CM

If ‘learnt’ means agreeing with everything you say then no he hasn’t learnt anything :)

I actually don’t think Binden has been bad at RB tbh. Would have changed it myself but don’t see it as a big issue

Formation has fundamental flaws away from home. He doesn't seem interested in changing.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Oct 2023 14:12

Glad I didn't bet on us

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2023 14:18

WestYorksRoyal
Hound

Formation has fundamental flaws away from home. He doesn't seem interested in changing.

Yes. And his tactics rely heavily on the fullbacks providing width and defending.

Bindon hasn't played badly, but he's crowbarred into a role where he can't deliver what the team needs. Meanwhile on the other flank Carson is consistently wilting under pressure and a couple of excellent crosses a game no one converts doesn’t make up for that.

We may get a result, but it won't translate into sustained improvement because it will be inspite of obvious flaws, not because of fixing them.

We are very likely to continue to be:
Hurt down the flanks
Have little width
Bounce the ball around in a congested central part of the pitch without creating many clear cut scoring chances.
Get hit on the break through midfield.

Putting Holmes and NGW on the bench does nothing to solve the fundamental problems. Other than give him the option to fix it with subs once we're already losing.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 07 Oct 2023 14:31

Sutekh So is Mola missing because he's suspended or has Selles worked out that he's cr@p at last?

Suspended. The Ref. made a mistake in "correcting" his (non) mistake as he HAD booked him twice, so should not have brought him back on!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Oct 2023 14:33

Their best player is their right winger. I hope Carson gets some help.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Oct 2023 14:33

The Royal Forester
Sutekh So is Mola missing because he's suspended or has Selles worked out that he's cr@p at last?

Suspended. The Ref. made a mistake in "correcting" his (non) mistake as he HAD booked him twice, so should not have brought him back on!

Highlights how utterly awful the standard of refereeing is in the lower divisions - and we thought the refs in the Championship were poor!

Looking forward to similar refereeing failures this afternoon.

235 posts